Fine-tune your plant-based June

Replies

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 721 Member
    edited June 2022
    Hi all, went shopping this afternoon and bought some big portabella mushrooms, zucchini and baby bok choy to have over the next few days.

Today:
    B - 2 Walnut meat tacos w/vegan cheese sauce, spring mix, homemade guac, hard corn taco shells
    L - Beyond burger on 1/2 a roll with vegan cheese sauce, pickles and arugula
    D - Tofu Tuno Salad with arugula on whole wheat tortilla
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,891 Member
    I try to do a little cleaning every day so it's not such an overwhelming chore as well. I don't always succeed.

Hanging blinds can be a real pain, Spring. Hope your window is fixed.

Nanc, your menus lately sound SO yum! Your plan for keeping up on the chores sounds great.

That's interesting you are making a dye with bananas, Carla. Never even considered that would be a thing! You just reminded me I've been craving tofu.

B - ezekiel toast with a smidge of PB (should have had the smoothie because the toast triggered my starchy cravings for the day)
    S - pretzels
    L - leftover greens/onions/mushrooms, some of the steamed broccoli and asparagus, last of the roasted potatoes, watermelon
    D - big ol' salad with chickpeas and some of the steamed broccoli added, an orange

I bought a bag of oranges last weekend on a whim and had one last night... it was so good! Fruit is so often hit or miss. There is a lot of broccoli left to eat up and some is going to get tossed after today unfortunately. I made so much stuff just couldn't eat it all.
  • Mihani
    Just saw your last post, Spring. Portobello 'shrooms and bok choy sounds delicious!
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,756 Member
    Bananas as a dye...that's crazy...who would have thought! Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Everyone has great menus...today looked like this for me:

coffee
    baked potato
    refried bean tostada...(I love em)...refried beans, LTO, cilantro, homemade soy yogurt...corn salsa

dinner...veggie Bolognese and Tinkyada (gf rice pasta) macaroni...COLD...small side salad

DESSERT: cantaloupe...fingers crossed that it is good. Also some red grapes
  • magic71755
    Today’s menu

Coffee
    Baked potato with homemade soy yogurt, green onions and dill…found out I’m not a fan of dill on baked potato
    My very favorite, refried bean tostada
    Last of veggie spaghetti…eaten cold

Fruit
  • SparkSpringtime69
    I've heard of using tea, coffee and berries for dye, but not bananas!
    Today:
    B - Beyond burger on a roll with vegan cheese, pickles tomato and spring mix
    L - Chickpea Sunflower salad with garlic sauce on whole wheat tortilla with arugula
    D - Oatmeal
  • Mihani
    Quick hi. Home to work the rest of the evening because I think I'm going to play hooky tomorrow afternoon after the boy gets his sutures out. I desperately need to do some cleaning around here and I'd like to get some cooking done as well. I sure hope he's off meds and out of his wrap and cone tomorrow. We need to get back to normal here. I want the weekend clear to work and try to catch up a bit.

B - smoothie
    L - black bean soup
    D - not sure yet but probably some soup from the freezer stash and some fruit
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your pup that he comes home all unwrapped and off meds.
  • magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Good luck today, Mihani…hope all goes well at the vet.

Work day…key is to take plenty of food so I stick to my plan and not look elsewhere for goodies.

Coffee
    Homemade yogurt, banana and nectarine, grape nuts
    Corn and bean salad
    Green olives stuffed with garlic and jalapeños
    Cantaloupe
    The end

Have a delicious 😋 day, everyone!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,331 Member
    edited June 2022
    I'll echo those wishes - best of luck for you and the doggo today, Mihani!

In the banana vat, the bananas are just the reduction agent (& don't provide any color). You can use apples or pears, too ... which I will be doing in late summer or early fall when we have tons of both in the yard. Of course, it turns out you can just use fructose sugar and save a whole big banana-mashing-boiling extraction process!

I've lost 2 more pounds since my last weight check-in. I had my first non weight related victory yesterday when I tried on some pants that I hadn't been able to wear yet. They now fit just right. Yay!

plan for today
    coffee coffee coffee
    smoothie
    fruit
    Indian style garbanzo bean curry w/ baked tofu (hopefully I can control myself on the tofu this time!)

Happy Friday!
  • Mihani
    I am SO bummed. Doc says his ear looks really good but needs to heal more so we've been sentenced to another week in the wrap. I feel more comfortable leaving him now at least. I was in the office 6 or so hours per day this week then came home to work a few more and it worked out fine. I'm actually getting to some things that I can never get done in the chaos of the office. I just hate that I have to keep him doped up another week.

Had a power outage in the area most of the morning. I was really grooving on getting work done so that was seriously uncool. It's back on now but I don't care. I've lost my mojo and I'm going to do some cleaning around here. The dog hair is rolling around everywhere.

Didn't make it to the store or to my salad prepper friend so I will do that tomorrow. I did run to the little grocery near my house and grabbed ezekiel bread and baby spinach because the fridge was looking pretty bare. I have some sweet potatoes so I'll figure out something with baby spinach and sweet potatoes and beans.

It's a beautiful day at least. Windows are wide open airing out the house. Had a big bowl of steel cut oats with berries and cinnamon this morning. Haven't had lunch yet but will have a late lunch/early dinner after I get the floors swept up and dust.
  • Mihani
    Carla, WOOHOO!!! Two more pounds and pants that fit. That's awesome!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Mihani - sorry to hear your pooch has to stay wrapped another week

Carla - pants that fit comfortably and two pounds gone, that's great!

Today's plan:

B - Chickpea Sunflower salad with garlic sauce on 1/2 of a whole wheat tortilla
    L - Veggie dog and a salad
    D - Oatmeal
    and some fruit for a snack somewhere in there
  • magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Today’s plan…

Coffee
    BREKKY…Yogurt, chopped banana with a sprinkling of grape nuts
    LUNCH…refried bean dip…(tostada won’t work at my desk…I’m the receptionist) …beans, LTO, SALSA, yogurt sitting in for sour cream… air-fried broken corn tortillas and used as dippers.

Olives stuffed with garlic and jalapenos

EARLY DINNER…corn and bean salad
    Grapes or watermelon

Carla…Congrats on clothes fitting…to me, that is the biggest high!

Mihani, at least your vet isn’t taking chances with your boy…soon you will be back to your regular routine.

Spring...Love seeing your posts, daily! Yum on the veggie dog....have you ever made the carrot dogs the vegan community talks about? I might try it this summer.

I’m down five pounds since May 1st. 20 to go.

My right knee is going to love ❤️ the new me! (Second knee (right) will be replaced January 2023.

Have a great day, mates.

• SparkSpringtime69
    Magic - The veggie dog I'm having today is a packaged one (I have 5 left to finish off the pack).
    But I have made the carrot dogs and I think they're very good. This is the recipe I use
    https://www.pcrm.org/good-nutrition/plant-based-diets/recipes/carrot-dogs
    I poke them a couple of times with a fork after the boil so they get a little more marinade in them, then cook them on the grill.
    Glad to hear your knee is doing well.
  • magic71755
    Thanks, Spring 🌸…I definitely will try that…I do miss hot dogs 🌭.
  • Mihani
    Oh, you all reminded me I've been meaning to try carrot dogs forever! I will do that this summer for sure.

Magic, WOOHOO on 5 pounds down!

I remembered reading about a mexican "lasagna" and I am going to try something tonight. I looked up a few recipes and have an idea what I want to do. I will roast the sweet potatoes in small cubes. Saute onions, peppers, sweet corn, black and pinto beans with fajita seasoning. Layer corn tortillas, the cooked veggies and baby spinach in a casserole, cover with enchilada sauce and bake. Can't imagine I can go far wrong with all that goodness.

I planned to make Spring's cheese sauce, but apparently sesame seeds are on the ever-growing list of things that are hard to come by in the store. I have some toasted sesame seeds on hand so maybe I'll try it with those. I got a jalapeno to add to the cheese sauce. I'll top the lasagna with cheese sauce and chopped green onion when serving up.

Got up at 4:00 this morning (ridiculous for a Saturday!) and got several hours of work in before getting cleaned up and heading out for errands. Got the few ingredients I still needed to make the mexican lasagna and stopped to pick up my salad stuff. Also plan a big pot of lentil soup this weekend.

Let's see what else? Oh, broccoli of course. I enjoyed the steamed broccoli last week but I still prefer it sprinkled with coconut aminos and roasted. I could eat that every day no problem. My salad prepper friend gave me a ton of riced cauliflower so I may add some of that to the sauteed veggies for the casserole.

And tofu to bake, but I will wait until later in the week or next weekend since I don't want to have too much food again.

Thanks for all the well-wishes for pupper. :)

• Mihani
    Okay the mexican casserole is good! I may have screwed up a bit because I was so intent on getting the layers done that in retrospect I should have added a little enchilada sauce to each layer. I just poured it all over the top and while it did permeate I wonder if it would have been better if I had added to each layer.

Here's what I did:

Roasted the diced sweet potatoes on parchment paper didn't add anything but black pepper. Sauteed diced red onion (1 medium), red pepper (2), zucchini (1 medium), sweet corn (about a cup), garlic, a can each of drained and rinsed black beans and pinto beans, and fajita seasoning. Threw the roasted sweet potatoes in towards the end so they would be mixed in and get some of the fajita seasoning.

Layer of corn tortillas in a big casserole dish, a layer of the cooked veggies, big handful of baby spinach. I was able to get 3 layers topped with another layer of corn tortillas then poured the enchilada sauce over top.

Baked covered with foil for 20 minutes at 350. Removed foil, added dollops of the cashew cheese and baked for another 10 or 15 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes or so before cutting into it.

Spring, I made the cheese sauce you shared using the toasted sesame seeds that I had. I quite like it! I think you had mentioned cutting back on tomato because it was too "tomato-y" and I definitely think I should have done that because that's mostly what I taste, but it is in the fridge and hopefully the flavors will meld more. It's still good just more tomato-y than cheese-y. I added probably another 1/8 cup water because I wanted a thinner sauce, and a jalapeno pepper since I wanted it a little spicy.

I used the ninja personal blender for the cashew cheese sauce instead of the big blender and OMG y'all that was SO much easier. Cleanup was a breeze and I actually got all the sauce instead of working so hard to get it out of the bottom of the blender and ending up losing a good bit.

Served it up with a spoonful of the cashew cheese sauce and some sliced green onion. I did use jar enchilada sauce because I didn't think I would have time or energy to make my own. It does have a tiny bit of oil but next time I will make my own with NO oil.

• Mihani
    edited June 2022
    Good morning,

I'm chatty this weekend! LOL

I am not going to make the lentil soup until probably Thursday. This mexican lasagna casserole thing is huge and I will be (happily) eating it for several days. I forgot to mention I roasted 4 sweet potatoes for the casserole but they were on the small side. I'd think 2 large or 3 medium if anyone decides to try it.

I also roasted the broccoli yesterday so I have that, and I want to use up all this riced cauliflower that my salad prepper friend gave me so I am going to make a "fried rice" like this today which will make good lunches: https://plants-rule.com/cauliflower-fried-rice/

All that plus my salads will be more than enough food for this week. I may try freezing some of the casserole.

Plan for today...
    B - smoothie
    L - leftover casserole
    D - cauliflower fried rice and salad
    Will get an orange and/or an apple in there somewhere.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,331 Member
    Grats on your 5lbs, Nanc! Awesome!

Mihani, your casserole sounds yum! I just did a shop but I will have to try it soon.

How is your 'feast like a king for breakfast and like a pauper for dinner' plan going, Spring? I feel like my downfall with that is that I would eat like a king, and then in the evening eat like a king again! But it totally makes sense to me that it is the better way to eat.

The usual over here. Working on my projects and walking with the doggos.

Have a great Sunday!