Fine-tune your plant-based June

Options

Replies

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Mihani - glad you liked the sauce. I think toasted sesame seeds would add a good flavor to the sauce, especially with the jalapeno. The casserole sounds delicious.
    I made that sauce for the first time in my food processor and it came out too grainy. I usually use my Vitamix, but I had the processor out for something else so I figured I'd save on cleanup of an extra appliance - won't do that again :) I was hoping it would be ok, because, as you said, it's a pain to try to scrape everything out from under the blade. Vitamix really has to design a spatula that will scrape the container clean.
    The cauliflower fried rice looks really good, I'll have to try it soon.

Carla - I've been doing pretty good with it. I usually try to set up my whole day food in MFP in the AM so I can see which meal is lowest in calories. Then I can just move stuff around to make it work. I have to admit though, I haven't been eating my oatmeal as planned for my dinners. I've still kept dinner as the lowest calorie meal, but it's been pretty hot lately and the idea of eating hot cereal just hasn't been appealing to me.

Today -
    B - Eggless Egg Salad on half a whole wheat tortilla
    L - Grilled veggies on a whole wheat tortilla (portabella mushroom, zucchini and baby bok choy with a little vegan mayo and roasted garlic.
    D - Smart Dog on a plate with a small salad
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,761 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    quick fly by today...
    up early …walked lulu at 6:30...will NOW have to go by 5:30. The HEAT IS ON! weathermanf2.gif
    A QUICK trip to sprouts after I got back...made corn and bean salad for my sister and her DH.

Off to my sister's for coffee and a visit, which was lovely. She just texted me and said the salad was a hit, bring it again...she added macaroni to it with steamed salmon. I am the only one in my family and my real-life friends who is VEGAN.

Home...I had layered refried beans with LTO, cilantro, and homemade yogurt (I got it to be thick almost Greek-style)...I have this no cooking method down...I use the recipe and method from Vegan Blueberry.
    Air fried corn tortillas as dippers.

I am making the chunky Gazpacho recipe from One Green Planet (minus the bread and oil) for dinner.

dessert: cantaloupe
    Have a great evening.midsumsmile.gif

My work schedule for laughs: (hahaha)

Friday (which is my Monday)

Saturday (which is my Friday)

Off Sunday

Monday (which is my Monday AND Friday)

Off Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

• magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Options
    It’s my MONDAY/FRIDAY! 💖💖💖

Coffee
    Yogurt, banana, grapenuts
    Lunch and dinner Corn/bean salad with air fried corn tortillas as dippers
    Cantaloupe and grapes 🍇

Have a great day!
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,894 Member
    Options
    Your corn/bean salad is right up my alley, Nanc. Your mention of grapes reminded me that I have tried the frozen grapes and they make for a nice little sweet treat. Kind of like a fruit pop.

Spring, I made the cauliflower "fried rice" when I got home today and it's good! I think I would enjoy it more with a little more in the way of veggies though. Thinking some peas, red pepper, napa cabbage. I put it away in the fridge for dinner tonight.

Carla, how are your classes going?

Today was good!
    B - smoothie
    S - broccoli
    L - leftover casserole
    S - fried cauliflower rice and salad

Got home about 3:30 and the boy was fine today. Going to get back to work now that I've done my cooking.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Magic - sounds like you live in my neck of the woods, I woke up about 6:30 and planned to eat some breakfast and then go for a walk or bike ride by 7:30. But when I opened the door at 7:30, the air was stifling. So no cardio today. BTW - Do you have a recipe for homemade vegan yogurt? I have a few recipes that call for yogurt, but my new grocery store doesn't carry plain vegan yogurt. (Also, love your work schedule :D )
    Mihani - I'll probably try the fried rice next week, and I agree with the more veggies plan. I hate peas but I'm thinking for my stir fry I'll add: red pepper, broccoli, bok choy and scallions. I love that the recipe uses 2Tbsp of miso (I can eat that stuff by the spoonful).
    Glad to hear pup was doing fine today.
  • magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Here is the link to the yogurt recipe/directions I use: I use 64 ounces of Westsoy unsweetened...just soybeans and water ... AND one little packet of Cultures for Health, Vegan starter :

https://www.veganblueberry.com/2-easy-ways-to-make-the-best-vegan-yogurt/

Kate has a few ways of making it...

I use the soy milk and packet of Cultures for Health...14 hours in 4 pint-size mason jars in the insta pot yogurt setting.

Then 8 - 12 hours in the fridge if you want it European style.

If you want it thicker, Greek style...then line the collander with two layers of bounty towels and drain in the fridge. Perfect every time. NO COOKING>

• magic71755
    Options
    Today’s plan

Coffee
    Yogurt banana grape nuts
    Corn and bean salad with pasta
    Gazpacho
    Cantaloupe

The end

• Mihani
    Options
    Hi all, counting down the days! Three more until his sutures come out, hopefully for real this time.

It's hot here today, in the upper 90's. Ugh! We lost power at the office so I left around 2:30 and thankfully there is power here so I can get some more work done. It was out all along the main drag before you get to my subdivision so I was worried. It would be even worse for the poor pupper he's too old to deal with that heat anymore. Come to think of it, I am too. LOL

B - smoothie
    L - leftover casserole (enough for one more lunch left), broccoli
    D - "fried" cauliflower rice, salad, an apple

• SparkSpringtime69
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Magic - thanks for the yogurt link and instructions. I don't have an insta-pot, but I do have a crockpot so I'm going to try it that way. Probably in the next week or so, I have to get the starter.

Bad food day today so I won't bore you with the details :)

See you all tomorrow.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Our office is part of an intentional shutdown of power and will be out at least until tomorrow evening possibly into Friday. Ugh!!! But, given a choice of having power there or at home I'm happy that I have A/C at the house! So we're all working from home and trying to get people rescheduled for appointments.

Not sure what my plan is for today but so far I had leftover cauliflower "fried rice" and a diced apple with cinnamon for breakfast. I'm weird, I know. Lunch will likely be the last of the casserole, and dinner a big ol' salad.

• magic71755
    Options
    Best part of the shutdown of power, Mihani…you get to be home with your special boy!

Today…

Coffee
    Yogurt grapenuts banana
    Refried bean tostada… corn on the cob
    Nectarine
    Lavash pizza with, olives, onions, mushrooms…and bell pepper 🫑

Have a delicious day everyone!

• SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Today
    B - eggless egg salad on whole wheat tortilla
    L - Chickpea Sunflower salad with garlic dressing over a bowl on arugula
    D - Stir fry with brown rice and some of my grilled veggies-eggplant, zucchini, mushroom and bok choy
  • magic71755
    Options
    Spring, I am in Phoenix, AZ...we walked already...left at 5:40...we were in the shade the entire time...we have coyotes...so I wear a whistle and mini air horn...crazy, eh?

Today:

coffee
    oatmeal with blueberries
    refried bean tostadas
    ice cold, refreshing gazpacho

nectarines

Have a delicious day everyone.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling so good, gals. I am at the point in my weight loss where I'm starting to see the progress. I can feel my progress pretty much a few days within tightening up my diet, but now I can see it too. I'm finally on a roll!

I just bought a pair of summer pants from cotton flower clothing and I have never put on such a comfortable pair of pants in my life (PJ pants included). They are made out of cotton gauze, and they are so breathable and light weight. I'm going to order at least one more pair to take to Mexico.

natural yoga pant from cottonflowerclothing.com

nhizqwcarb1u.png

My natural dyeing classes are good, Mihani. I don't like how they release the content drip-by-drip, so I may not continue until everything has been released.

Today:
    smoothie or oatmeal
    'caramel' apple split w/ Joe
    taco salad

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    And I almost forgot! My shoulder is now to the point where I can put on my beloved back closure bras. It's definitely a struggle, but at least it is doable.
  • Mihani
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Carla, that is so wonderful! Love your post made me smile. :)

Spring, I looked up that chickpea salad recipe it looks good.

Nanc, does the noise scare the coyotes away? I hope you never have to test it out!

We got power back a day early so were able to be in the office today, but I left at 3:00 so I could check on the boy. He was fine today but he has developed a real knack for getting the wrap twisted so that bad ear is out flopping around. I have the cone on him as well so he can't do TOO much damage, but I sure hope we're done with this tomorrow. It's stressing me out. This hot weather is hard on him. Every time we go outside he comes in and it takes him 10 minutes or better to stop panting.

B - skipped it and had some crackers at the office around 10:00
    L - quinoa with artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers (this was yummy)
    D - will be a veggie stuffed pita, an apple

I joined the gym that I mentioned. It's pricey but I committed for the initial 90 day program. After that there are other options so we'll see whether I want to continue or if I can afford it. They coach you on fitness, nutrition, habits, and you have two small group strength training classes per week to start with but you can also sign up for yoga, pilates, etc. if you want. They kind of encourage you to start slow and concentrate one area at a time. As an all or nothing kind of person this makes sense to me. After my initial interview the owner suggested we start the lifestyle part with stress management and setting boundaries. Go figure. LOL

• magic71755
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Yes, on loud noises scaring the coyotes away. I did use my whistle once already. He just looked at me and went the other way. Lots of peeps walking early with and without dogs. The coyotes are usually solos …they don’t bother us…it’s the pack that would be a problem. I have never seen a pack around our area.

❤️ Love your gym philosophy, Mihani…that is so cool. Sounds like a winner if they do all they say they are going to do.

Major congratulations, Carla. Wow, you have to be so proud of yourself! Keep up the great work!

One of my very favorite salesmen died suddenly this past Tuesday. Shock to everyone! It will be so sad not seeing him first thing in the morning…he had pet nicknames for me. Teased me about walking so fast with my new knee. Always was so kind and helpful. I’m certainly going to miss him.

Celebration of life this Sunday at his favorite bar. The place will be packed…he was that well liked.

Today’s plan…

Coffee
    Yogurt banana grape nuts
    Plum
    Corn and bean salad
    Nectarine
    Gazpacho…I think it would have been better with V8. I used organic tomato juice, cukes, bell peppers, onion, corn, zucchini… I think that’s it. Oh, and white wine vinegar. Freshly ground pepper. I’m not crazy about how it turned out.
    Another plum

Have a delicious day, everyone.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry about the loss of your co-worker, Nanc. *hugs*

This is a quick check-in lots to do tonight. The boy got his sutures out and is free of the wrap and cone, no more drugs. WOOHOO!!!! He is the happiest dog I've ever seen right now, and I'm right there with him. I haven't really been upstairs other than to shower for the past 3 weeks, sleeping in the recliner and keeping the stairs blocked because he was doped up but he took his last pill yesterday so he's fine now, and I am going up to clean, change the sheets, etc. so we can sleep upstairs tonight!

• SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Magic, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope the celebration of life on Sunday helps to console and bring some peace to you and the rest of his family and friends.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Wow, looks like I missed a lot over the last day and a half.
    Mihani - so happy to hear that your boy is now suture, wrap, cone and drug free! WOOHOO
    I hope you enjoy the chickpea salad. It was delicious as written but, when I made it this week, I left out the dill in both the salad and the garlic sauce and replaced them with a pre-packaged seasoning rub in the salad and a vegan ranch mix (https://www.pickuplimes.com/recipe/vegan-ranch-mix-5) in the garlic sauce. It seems both recipes without the dill make great bases for any number of different flavors. I'm going to go all global with those recipes: Italian, Greek, French, Indian, Mexican and whatever else I can thing of. Hope the gym works out for you, it sounds like a great place.
    Carla - Glad you hear your shoulder is progressing, and congrats on the weight loss progress - seeing it and feeling it in other ways besides the scale is always satisfying. Those pants look awesome, I'll definitely have to check out that website.
    Magic - I'm in South Carolina, it's been in the 90's here for about a week now. I'm originally from NJ so weeks of 90's when it's not even summer yet is a bit scary to me! I may have to look into a treadmill for inside the house. The bike riding isn't bad because you get a breeze due to the speed, but I'm planning to turn my walk into a jog over the summer and am not sure how I'm going to accomplish that in the heat. Even 7:00 in the morning has been very humid and muggy, ugh.
    This turned into a pretty wordy post, I'll have to try not to miss a day again B)