Replies

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    edited June 2022
    Melaniedscott
    Sat weigh day
    PW: 222
    CW: 219.9

I did not lose 2+ pounds, but dairy does weird things to my innards (bloat, other problems). When I cut back, focus on the veg that I love & love me back, woosh!

Last weekend I accidentally went to our local farmers market. Yes, accidentally. I didn't plan to go. I have nothing against them, love going to them but had other plans. I do car pooling/van pooling and one of my riders left her wallet in my car. I realized it was there on my way to other business near the market, she was heading to the market, so I met her there. I'm faster than she is, so I roamed. And saw the most lovely rainbow chard and had to take it (and a massive, beautiful head of green leaf lettuce) home. I generally use chard for two things... summoning spring minestrone and chickpeas and chard with moraccan spices. It is too late in the season for the soup and I've already made it twice. The second has always been a pain in the kitten to make (calls for crushing garlic, ground spices, fresh herbs into paste in a mortar, which takes forever) but worth it. I cheated a bit (my mini food processor isnt a mortar but it pastes pretty well) and it was SO good. I forgot how much I love it.

That was the high point of my week. I have so much to do at work and there have been so many support calls, I barely have time to breathe. I'm lucky if I get to eat part of my lunch, so there is no snacking happening. But now I am on vacay. A week of nothin'! Well, walks, gardening, going to the zoo (have not been in...decades), going to the botanical garden and/or arboretum, and a baby shower (at work, but only for a bit, I committed to bringing stuff that can only be acquired in my town before I realized it was, in fact, the middle of my vacay).

Earlier this week, my husband said his sisters were planning on doing an early Father's day cookout thing Saturday. Silly me, thought he meant this Sat (today) so last night I started my vegetarian baked beans in the slow cooker (they cook for ~14 hours). A couple hours in, he asks what I'm making. Beans for the thing tomorrow. Him...that's next week. Sigh. And we aren't even available next Sat! Silly HIM!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 9,901 Member
    The Week 3 Group Challenge is up and ready for Sunday. Join in if you need some more accountability to stick to the little numbers that add up to the future you!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10866779/june-week-3-group-challenge-magic-numbers/p1?new=1
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,888 Member
    STEPS 5th - 11th Jun
    BodyTalking
    5th 12127
    6th 6496
    7th 7539
    8th 8484
    9th 11597
    10th 6019
    11th 9006
  • dianabn70
    dianabn70 Posts: 10 Member
    SW 203.9
    CW 201.7
    😎
  • CassieGetsFit2013
    CassieGetsFit2013 Posts: 570 Member
    Username: CassieGetsFit2013
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW (Previous Weight): 232.2
    CW (Current Weight): 235

Uhm, whaaaat...🤦‍♀️😭
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,158 Member
    n1bx52w74edw.png

tdulrzd7oyhs.png
    rdjoj94i9m52.png

Leaderboardgraphic.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    gy9q0w6kpz5r.png

By Pounds
    qoam9rt4ttk0.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    3vze0t7yh824.png

By Pounds
    ezmvcag3wcli.png
    ozoxfsvvff93.png

Team Winners
    naruobpzq49q.png
  • thenextloser135
    thenextloser135 Posts: 38 Member
    thenextloser135
    pw:243
    cw: 239
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    ~ Story Time ~

Out of sheer curiosity, I decided I wanted to compare my weight last night to my weight this morning, despite not having an "official" weigh in scheduled until tomorrow morning. I did a lot of physical labor, putting up art in my apartment, repotting plants, walking through Target and exercising my absolutely bulky willpower so I would only spend $130, carrying all my purchases up the stairs rather than using the elevator... I ate a decent amount, because I was hungry, and it wasn't necessarily healthy food I was shoveling into my face.

Reminder - my last weigh-in with the group was 173lbs.

Last night, when I stepped onto the scale (after eating dinner AND an after-dinner snack), I saw 177.4 lbs. That was to be expected. It was hot out yesterday, so my body was holding onto as much water as possible to be able to cool down when necessary. And I had used my muscles to climb up and down a step stool and use a hammer amongst other tools. And I had eaten a lot. And, I'm assuming, none of it had (ahem) passed yet.

All that said, the number was disheartening.

And then I stepped onto the scale before my workout early this morning. 173.2. That's more like it. Did I lose 4lbs overnight? Yes. Yes I did. Was it 4lbs of fat? Absolutely not. Our bodies use water throughout the night and we exhale it along with carbon dioxide and other gaseous chemicals we store. (Fun science fact: carbon dioxide and water are products of burning fat, so the majority of the weight we lose is lost through expelled gases, whether that be from exhaling or... other means.)

I completely forgot to weigh myself AFTER my workout, probably because I was very focused on needing to wash my hair. But I'm assuming the loss would equate to about 0.1 lbs of burned fat (from my estimated calorie burn) + however much I sweat throughout the 45 minutes. The loss wouldn't be noticeable now, as I've had quite a bit of water to drink, and my hair is still wet, and there's food in my stomach. I'm sure I weigh more than I did when I woke up.

So, um, yeah. Weight fluctuates a lot. A LOT. Don't be so hard on yourselves. There's a billion factors at play.

Uhm, whaaaat...🤦‍♀️😭

@CassieGetsFit2013 -

This could be for a million reasons! Did you weigh in after eating/drinking? What about salt/sugar consumption from the day before? And if you've been spending more time outside in the sun, or moving more frequently, you could be holding onto water so your body can repair your muscles and skin and so many other things. I highly doubt you consumed nearly 10k extra calories over the past week.

All in all, don't let this discourage you! Reach out to me if you want to talk through this, okay? :heart:

I generally use chard for two things... summoning spring minestrone and chickpeas and chard with moraccan spices. It is too late in the season for the soup and I've already made it twice. The second has always been a pain in the kitten to make (calls for crushing garlic, ground spices, fresh herbs into paste in a mortar, which takes forever) but worth it. I cheated a bit (my mini food processor isnt a mortar but it pastes pretty well) and it was SO good. I forgot how much I love it.

@melaniedscott -

So, you're going to share this chard with Moroccan spices recipe, right???
  • shnkrnrynn
    shnkrnrynn Posts: 85 Member
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW (Previous Weight): 221
    CW (Current Weight): 218

Steps June 6- June 12
    June 6 - 5436
    June 7 - 10436
    June 8 - 5193
    June 9 - 10191
    June 10 - 12283
    June 11 - 6389
    June 12 - 6481

Total Kms ran last week - 14.13 km

d7fbjwamx58s.png

Note : Look at that water retention on Jun 11. June 10 was a very strenuous day, physically and mentally.
  • EDTake2
    EDTake2 Posts: 165 Member
    User name: EDTake2
    Weigh In Day: Monday’s

PW (Previous Weight): 183.6lb
    CW (Current Weight): 183.4lb

Goal for June low 180 (maybe enter the 170s 🤞)

I am happy that i maintained, as it was a week of get together and birthday celebrations, which meant a lot of eating out and drinks.

Next week i will be away on vacation, can I send the weight on Sunday instead of Monday for this one week?
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    EDTake2 wrote: »
    Next week i will be away on vacation, can I send the weight on Sunday instead of Monday for this one week?

@EDTake2 - Absolutely, not a problem. Thanks for letting us know!

• vmccants28
    vmccants28 Posts: 9 Member
    Ok I am totally loss on this but anyway
    SW.. 253
    CW 146
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    vmccants28 wrote: »
    Ok I am totally loss on this but anyway
    SW.. 253
    CW 146

I'm assuming that 1 is meant to be a 2?

And if so, sometimes magical whooshes just happen! We drop a ton of water weight at once on top of whatever we were already in the process of losing. Sometimes these losses don't stick around, but that's absolutely normal. Often when this happens to me, I consider it a water replacement. Old water comes out, new water goes in. Just like a fish tank!

As for me...
    minstrelofsarcasm
    June Week Three

Weigh In Day:Tuesdays
    PW (Previous Weight): 173 (June 7th)
    CW (Current Weight): 173.4 (June 14th)
    LTD (Loss to Date): 60.6 lbs

I was expecting more of a gain, based on my eating habits from the last week. I also did a personal training session with a friend, who did NOT take it easy on someone without a gym membership (rude). Woke up this morning incredibly sore, in the best of ways. Although lifting my water bottle takes a bit more effort and concentration than it normally would.

So, this is likely a mixture of muscle repair and sodium. I'm assuming. I don't know. My body only speaks to me in caveman-esque words, often requiring me to piece together what it wants from context clues.
  • seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member
    vmccants28 wrote: »
    So, this is likely a mixture of muscle repair and sodium. I'm assuming. I don't know. My body only speaks to me in caveman-esque words, often requiring me to piece together what it wants from context clues.

I feel this on a deep and personal level. :lol: I've been likening it to a tantruming toddler and I want to scream at it "USE YOUR WORDS, BODY!!!!" But it listens to me about as well as the toddler does.
  • 9Harvey
    9Harvey Posts: 104 Member
    May Week 7
    Previous Weight: June 05th - 236.4
    Current Weight: June 12th - 235.0
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    edited June 2022
    ~ Story Time ~

Out of sheer curiosity, I decided I wanted to compare my weight last night to my weight this morning, despite not having an "official" weigh in scheduled until tomorrow morning. I did a lot of physical labor, putting up art in my apartment, repotting plants, walking through Target and exercising my absolutely bulky willpower so I would only spend $130, carrying all my purchases up the stairs rather than using the elevator... I ate a decent amount, because I was hungry, and it wasn't necessarily healthy food I was shoveling into my face.

Reminder - my last weigh-in with the group was 173lbs.

Last night, when I stepped onto the scale (after eating dinner AND an after-dinner snack), I saw 177.4 lbs. That was to be expected. It was hot out yesterday, so my body was holding onto as much water as possible to be able to cool down when necessary. And I had used my muscles to climb up and down a step stool and use a hammer amongst other tools. And I had eaten a lot. And, I'm assuming, none of it had (ahem) passed yet.

All that said, the number was disheartening.

And then I stepped onto the scale before my workout early this morning. 173.2. That's more like it. Did I lose 4lbs overnight? Yes. Yes I did. Was it 4lbs of fat? Absolutely not. Our bodies use water throughout the night and we exhale it along with carbon dioxide and other gaseous chemicals we store. (Fun science fact: carbon dioxide and water are products of burning fat, so the majority of the weight we lose is lost through expelled gases, whether that be from exhaling or... other means.)

I completely forgot to weigh myself AFTER my workout, probably because I was very focused on needing to wash my hair. But I'm assuming the loss would equate to about 0.1 lbs of burned fat (from my estimated calorie burn) + however much I sweat throughout the 45 minutes. The loss wouldn't be noticeable now, as I've had quite a bit of water to drink, and my hair is still wet, and there's food in my stomach. I'm sure I weigh more than I did when I woke up.

So, um, yeah. Weight fluctuates a lot. A LOT. Don't be so hard on yourselves. There's a billion factors at play.

Uhm, whaaaat...🤦‍♀️😭

@CassieGetsFit2013 -

This could be for a million reasons! Did you weigh in after eating/drinking? What about salt/sugar consumption from the day before? And if you've been spending more time outside in the sun, or moving more frequently, you could be holding onto water so your body can repair your muscles and skin and so many other things. I highly doubt you consumed nearly 10k extra calories over the past week.

All in all, don't let this discourage you! Reach out to me if you want to talk through this, okay? :heart:

I generally use chard for two things... summoning spring minestrone and chickpeas and chard with moraccan spices. It is too late in the season for the soup and I've already made it twice. The second has always been a pain in the kitten to make (calls for crushing garlic, ground spices, fresh herbs into paste in a mortar, which takes forever) but worth it. I cheated a bit (my mini food processor isnt a mortar but it pastes pretty well) and it was SO good. I forgot how much I love it.

@melaniedscott -

So, you're going to share this chard with Moroccan spices recipe, right???

Sure. I think it is a Deborah Madison recipe...

4-5 Tb olive oil
    1 bunch chard (I like rainbow), stemmed (reserve the stems)
    3 cups cooked chickpeas (2 15 oz cans, drained)
    1 onion, diced fine
    6 cloves garlic
    1 red bell pepper, medium dice
    2 medium potatoes (not in the original recipe but they make my husband happy), large dice
    4 larger tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes
    3 Tb fresh parsley
    3 Tb fresh cilantro
    1 1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1/2 tsp tumeric
    2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp ground pepper or 1 tsp peppercorn
    1 tsp ground coriander seed
    1 small dried red pepper

Trim the chard stems and slice thin. Put 2 cups water in a sauce pot with a steamer basket. Steam the chard stems and potatoes until almost tender. Chop leaves and add at the end, steaming until wilted. Remove from pot and set aside.

In a mortar (or small food processor) crush garlic thouroghly with salt. Add spices, fresh and dried and 1-2 Tb oil. If using peppercorn, make sure to grind/pound it finely. Pound/process it until it is a paste. If you use a mortar, it will take a while. A small processor does just as well in 5 or 10 minutes.

Empty out the water and add remaining oil to pan. Cook onion until soft and maybe a bit browned. Add herb paste, 1/2 cup or so of broth (could be drained from chickpeas) or water, chick peas, tomatoes. Cook 5-10 minutes. Add potatoes and chard. Mix well, adding more water, if needed, and cook 5-10 more minutes. Season to taste with more salt/pepper, if desired, and juice from 1 lemon.

Serve on couscous or cracked wheat or brown rice, if you want. Supposedly 4 servings but I usually get 6.
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    User name: Pizzafruit
    Weigh-in day: Sunday
    PW:284.1
    CW:282.4
    I missed Sunday's weigh in as well as yesterday. I'll bee on time next week.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Friendly Reminder:

For those of you in the Step Challenge, be sure to get your steps in TODAY before noon EST if you can help it. I only have a couple people's worth of steps so far and I know there's more of you participating.
  • worldtrav89
    worldtrav89 Posts: 30 Member
    Worldtrav89
    Weigh in 6.15.2022

Pw: 237
    Cw: 233
This discussion has been closed.