Fine-tune your plant-based June

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,892 Member
    It has been hot here as well but this morning it is lovely. Cool and breezy. The boy has been outside for half an hour enjoying the fresh air and his unwrapped head. I hate the heavy humidity the most. Makes it hard to breathe. A treadmill sounds like a great idea, Spring. I love mine. I watch TV or movies while I'm trudging along.

Going to make the week delayed lentil soup today and work from home. Office for a bit tomorrow.

I'm going to really commit to this 90 days. I told the woman at the gym I plan to stick to a WFPB diet and they are very supportive of that. I made sure when I signed up they were cool with vegan and definitely are. In addition to whatever they have me doing I'm planning no alcohol, daily treadmill, lots of GBOMBS. I've just felt stuck for so long, bouncing up and down the same 10 pounds over the past couple years. This is an investment in my health and I don't want to waste the opportunity.

Plan for today...
    B - oats with berries, cinnamon, a sprinkle of granola
    L - lentil soup if I get it made early or a veggie sammich on ezekiel, whichever I have for lunch I'll have the other for dinner
    Will get in an apple and an orange somewhere.

I got the upstairs cleaned up last night. I have all wood floors so the dog hair rolls around everywhere, and it was past due for a good shop vac when all this happened. Since I wasn't spending any time up there it was easy to ignore the past few weeks. It felt so good to sleep in my bed. I'm betting a nap will be taken sometime today.
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,758 Member
    Today

Coffee
    Yogurt banana grape nuts
    Corn and bean salad
    Potatoes and homemade yogurt dip
    Plum and nectarine
    Olives stuffed with jalapeños and garlic

Have a delicious day, everyone!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,332 Member
    I'm sorry for your loss, Nanc. *hugs*

We have my parents coming over for an Father's day lunch today. I'm making a chickpea indian curry that we're serving with some baked tofu and naan. I have been staying far away from bread but I will probably end up having a piece of naan with lunch.

They'll be here soon, so just a quick check in.

first breakfast - leftover gnocchi from dinner out last night
    second breakfast - oatmeal
    late lunch / dinner - curry w/ tofu & naan
  • Mihani
    This week my salads will be "taco" style with lettuce, zucchini, onion, banana peppers, red peppers, red onion, radish. I'm going to make a big batch of black bean and corn salsa to top salad while the soup simmers. That's so easy just thaw some corn, drain and rinse a couple cans of black beans, throw in a container with a big jar of salsa, voila!

Carla, so happy you get another visit with the family! Dinner sounds delicious, have fun!

Nanc, I haven't bought any plums in a long time and they are SO good. Thanks for the reminder, adding to my grocery list.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 728 Member
    edited June 2022
    Mihani - I just need to find a spot for treadmill
    Carla, father's day lunch sounds good, have fun.
    Today:
    B - leftover rigatoni
    L - veggie panini (went out to lunch today)
    D - Other half of veggie panini
  • Mihani
    Good morning! I feel good today. Two nights in my bed plus that long nap yesterday I think I'm rested up. I have laundry going and probably have 2 or 3 more loads since towels, sheets, etc. were all piled up. Made the lentil soup yesterday and a little disappointed. It's good but not as good as my last couple batches. I think I was being more careful because I'm giving some to my SIL and wasn't as free with the seasonings as usual.

Going to get to work here shortly and continue to work until all the laundry is done, then take a break to run to SIL's and the grocery for greens. Then home to work more the rest of the day. Crazy amount of work to do that's for sure.

B - a small cup of the lentil soup and ezekiel toast
    L - big ol' salad
    D - baked potato, sauteed greens, probably another cup of the lentil soup
    Will get fruit in somewhere. Going to buy a variety at the grocery and including plums (thanks, Nanc!) and hopefully good watermelon!

I'm both excited and nervous about my first strength training class on Tuesday.
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited June 2022
    Mihani, that new gym of yours sounds so good! I really didn't think it would be possible to find one that would not only be good with a wfpb lifestyle, but also help you with boundaries etc. I hope you love it!

Spring, I am so heat-intolerant, I can't imagine walking outside in that weather, never mind contemplating jogging in it! I have a friend in North Carolina that will go jogging during the day in that weather and I'm always amazed. We are having such a cool, wet spring here in the Seattle Washington area that my struggle is walking in the rain with a wind and being too chilly!

I made my garbanzo bean curry with baked tofu and naan as planned and it was a big hit for our Father's Day lunch! Even with my dad, who is a real meat eater. That's great news, because we'll be visiting them at their cabin this summer, and now I have something healthy to make for everyone.

After a few social days in a row, Joe and I are looking forward to chillaxin' today at home. It is a drizzly overcast morning and I'm sipping my coffee enjoying a quiet morning.

Wishing you all a good day and thinking of you Nanc, with the celebration of life for your co-worker friend today.

my plan
    coffee, of course
    smoothie or oatmeal
    fruit, hummus and carrots
    curry w/ tofu
    probably half of a 'caramel' apple
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Mihani - the great thing about an under-seasoned dish is that you can always add more at the next meal. I hope your training session goes good for you.
    Carla - I had the rain and cold problem when I was in NJ, LOL. I had joined a gym there so I'd have a place to walk/jog once the weather got too cold or there was ice/snow on the ground.

I just got back from grocery shopping and plan to make a couple of tofu dishes this week, Pizza Tofu and a Peanut Tofu Buddha Bowl (one of my favorites). May also make a Chickpea Piccata with Mushrooms.
  • Mihani
    I'm with y'all on can't stand the heat. Especially when it gets super muggy/humid. Ugh!!!

You are reminding me I have tofu in the fridge and should do something with that this week.

Got up and jumped on the treadmill. First time in 3 weeks! Got in 20 minutes so I should be on track to get 7500 steps today. If I treadmill in the morning it's pretty easy to get there. I ordered a couple new tees and a pair of gym shoes last night that should arrive on Tuesday. I have another newish pair of gym shoes here already, and I think I have enough suitable clothing to get through 10 or 15 pounds of loss, then I have a bigger selection in the closet at that point.

Plan for today...
    B - smoothie (done)
    L - lentil soup, small baked potato, an apple
    D - big ol' salad, watermelon
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,758 Member
    Just really sad these days…the story of my friend dying is really tragic…I will share with you tomorrow. Celebration of life was beautiful and well attended…people loved this guy.

Today…

Coffee
    Brunch Just egg with spinach, Daiya shredded pepper jack and salsa
    Dinner…refried bean tostada
    Plum, nectarine, popsicle

Have a delicious day everyone!
  • Mihani
    Hi Nanc, glad to see you. I hope the memorial service helped to start you on the way to healing from your loss. *hugs*

Okay I went to my first strength class. I'll fill you in on more details later but for now suffice to say I almost enjoyed it, and not dreading going back at all. I am going to be a bit sore tomorrow I'm sure, but they really try to start you slow and while I felt it for sure there wasn't anything that was too difficult for me or that actually hurt. She changed up a couple things since I'm still having trouble with my shoulder.

Got a seriously disappointing mushy watermelon. I can't even eat it.

B - smoothie
    L - big ol' salad topped with black bean and corn salsa and a small baked potato
    S - a few wasa crackers and an apple with a smidge of peanut butter
    D - veggie wrap, two bites of watermelon

I froze the rest of the lentil soup because I had too much stuff to eat in the fridge again. My salad prepper friend is taking next week off so I will just buy some box lettuce and a few veggies on Friday and make do on my own. I bought some greens to cook and haven't got to them yet so I will do that tomorrow after work. Right now I'm heading to bed to read for a bit and sleep. That workout tired me out and I bet I sleep great tonight!

• SparkSpringtime69
    edited June 2022
    Magic - sending hugs your way.
    Mihani - glad to hear you session went ok

Today -
    B - Remaining Chik'n nuggets on roll (on track to have all of the processed "meat" foods done by the end of the month.)
    L - Chickpea Piccata with Mushrooms
    D - Eggless Egg Salad on 1/2 whole wheat tortilla.

Calories are a little low today so I'll probably throw in some grapes and peanuts.
  • Mihani
    Hi y'all... I'm really tired today! It's a good tired though. I ended up not sleeping well last night so I will try to get to bed extra early tonight. I'm still not sore, but my muscles definitely feel fatigued.

Spring, chickpea piccata sounds really good! Recipe?

B - ezekiel toast with a smidge of peanut butter, and a smoothie later on (took the smoothie to work)
    L - salad with black bean and corn salsa, small baked potato
    D - sauteed greens with turmeric rice and a packaged dal (does have a small amount of oil), a nectarine

I'm not that hungry so I probably won't eat much of the dinner but it will be great for lunch tomorrow.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited June 2022
    Mihani - here's the link to the recipe.
    It calls for oil, but I suppose you could just bake the patties and saute the mushrooms in water.
    https://www.diannesvegankitchen.com/vegan-chickpea-piccata/#recipe
    The patties have a seitan texture to them due to the vital wheat gluten. I happened to have some because I tried to make my own seitan a while ago. I didn't have almond butter so I substituted peanut better and didn't taste it at all, so the nut butter you use probably won't make a difference.

Today:
    B - Pizza tofu
    L - Chickpea piccata with mushrooms
    D - General Tso Tofu (DH wanted Chinese food so I broke down and ordered this :blush: )
  • Mihani
    Thanks, Spring! I saved that to try one of these days.

I stopped in the wellness deli on the way home. They had all new items from last time I was there! Mostly cold salads, hummus, etc. which is perfect for summer. I got potato salad, hummus, no-oil tortilla chips, asian brown rice and noodle salad with lots of veggies in it, roasted chickpeas, and couldn't resist a raspberry cashew cream tart. I'm having some of the brown rice noodle salad as I type and it's really good. Everything they make is organic, vegan, oil-free. Not a big selection usually 6 or 8 things each week, but it's great to have around for when I know I'll have a few days without time to shop or cook. Pretty reasonable most of the containers would be two meals with a side salad, and they run anywhere from $5 to $8.

B - smoothie
    L - leftovers from dinner last night, a peach
    D - some of the noodle salad, some hummus and tortilla chips, and will have half of the tart (it's like a small cupcake size but a couple bites tonight and the rest tomorrow because with the cashews it's going to be high in fat)

I also tried a small handful of the roasted chickpeas. They aren't crisp and I know they don't stay crisp when I make them myself, but they are seriously yummy and I had to put them away because I could see myself just sitting and eating half the container in no time. LOL

Yesterday I was too tired to do much but I got up early this morning and hit the treadmill for 20 minutes then did just maybe 5 minutes of dumbbell workout. I'm planning on 20 minutes or so of stretching and yoga tonight before bed.

Oh, and I am completely loving the frozen grapes. I have been grabbing 6 or 8 of them to eat after dinner some evenings and they are almost like ice cream. I seem to recall I tried freezing grapes one other time years ago and didn't think much of them. Now I realize it's because those were very small not very juicy grapes. The ones that I froze recently were large red grapes with a high water content and they are delightful.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Mihani - that sounds like a great deli, I wish I had something like that near me.

Today:

B - General Tso Tofu
    L - Veggie sandwich and some kettle chips and a pickle
    D - Chickpea piccata with mushrooms
  • Mihani
    Hi Spring, I'm glad I'm no longer the only one here who eats non-traditional things for breakfast! LOL I've been known to eat leftover stir-fry, roasted broccoli, etc. for breakfast, and like savory oats with chopped baby spinach and spices sometimes.

Nanc, hope you are doing okay.

Carla, how are all your projects coming along?

Tomorrow is my next class at the gym. I'm still feeling pretty anxious about it but hopefully I'll get more comfortable. Just have to keep at it.

B - ezekiel toast with a smidge of PB
    L - some of the potato salad I bought last night, leftover rice and dal from the other night
    D - the rest of the brown rice noodle salad, a couple handfuls of roasted chickpeas, a nectarine and a few frozen grapes

• Carla_wfpb
    Good luck with your class today, Mihani! I'm sure it will go great.

I haven't had much to post about lately. I am in one of those weird phases where I don't want to make anything.

We have a heat wave here in the PNW this weekend. And yesterday when we turned the AC on, it didn't work. Joe changed the filter and we're going to give it another try. Today it will be close to 90 which for here is very hot :)

I did some very lazy planting yesterday in the heat. I scattered wildflower seeds, very heavily, into a garden bed, then scattered a light layer of soil and watered. I've never tried planting wildflowers before so I am curious to see what grows.

today
    oatmeal
    carrots with hummus
    whole wheat spaghetti w/ mushroom red sauce, baked tofu, wanut parm
    half a caramel apple (homemade caramel from cashews, almond butter and dates)
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited June 2022
    Mihani - hope your class went well for you today.
    Carla - I'm planning to plant some wildflowers in an awkward corner of our yard. Just need to get the survey done to find out exactly where our property ends.
    I never heard of caramel from cashews, do you have a recipe you use?
    Today:
    B - rest of the General Tso's Tofu
    L - rest of the Chickpea Piccata with mushrooms
    D - Beyond burger with Follow Your Heart pepper jack cheese (I have just one more processed burger, but bought the FYH cheese to have on it so now I have a package of that to use up :blush:. But that'll be gone by July 1st).
    Planning on a complete whole-food plant-based July. I definitely have to do a lot of cooking (and some freezing) to make that happen.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Caramel Apple
    2 to 3 Tbsp raw cashews
    1 large Medjool date
    1.5 to 2 tsp almond butter (with salt if you have a little salt in your diet and want salted caramel flavor)

Blend using a food processor until crumbles start to come together. It should roll into a ball and stick together easily. j

I keep the skin on a honeycrisp apple, cut it in half, core and split above mixture in half. Press mixture onto two halves and press down evenly to cover. If I'm feeling generous, I give half to my hubby. ;)