Diabetic type 2 Help me please 👀

Hi I just got diagnosed with diabetes type 2 and I’m so lost on what to eat I’ve been living off of Mac and cheese fried chicken and breadsticks forever I love candy and I love breads and pastas I really would love to get some good ideas of what I should be eating and portions sizes so that I can get my life back on track and beat this. Also looking for snacks and things I can buy that would be good for me eat🙏🏽 Thanks for your time🥰

Replies

• dettea
    dettea Posts: 0 Member
    Hi. I'm starting my Type2 diabetic journey as well. I was diagnosed a while ago, but have been ignoring it. I suffer from M.E, arthritis and asthma and at 4ft 11ins weigh 12 stones, so I need to lose about 4 stones. It would be really nice if we could keep each other company on this journey. One thing that I wasn't aware of - I'm a real chocoholic and crave chocolate and sweet things, especially when I'm feeling exhausted. Thinking I was being good, I tried eating grapes instead of chocolate, and lots of fruit instead of snacking on biscuits and cake, but apparently, fruit is high in sugar and should only be eaten in small quantities. Your 5 a day should ideally be 3 portions of veg and 2 of fruit - mine was all fruit! I've been exploring the following website: Healthy Living for people with type 2 diabetes https://app.changinghealth.com/articles/2019
    It seems really good and explains a lot, not just about what diabetes is and how it affects your body, but advice on nutrition and exercise as well. The link will take you to the part that I'm reading (you'll see I haven't got very far, but like you, I'm new to finding out what it's all really about and what changes I need to make) so I came across this website and thought it was worth investigating. Anyway, I hope it helps. Good luck with your journey.
  • KarmaKamen
    KarmaKamen Posts: 42 Member
    Okay, instead of pasta have you tried zoodles aka Zucchini noodles ? They are amazing! Especially if you make like a light roux, or butter, or sprinkle some Parmesan on top.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    I am type 2 diabetic and I eat keto ... If you like mac & cheese try it using cauliflower...zoodles with Pesto or alfredo ( I make my own) ..If you have an air fryer you can have a side of shrimp or chicken tenders with it using an almond flour, garlic powder , salt & pepper, parmesan cheese and using 1 egg
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,545 Member
    I'm also type 2. I've found that I can't live on keto or extreme low carb easily with my lifestyle (as it would greatly affect cooking/shopping for my child & husband too). But I have learned that swaps or bulking other items when I'm eating carbs is a great help. Things like added veggies to my spaghetti (half spaghetti to half zoodles or half steamed cut green beans to half elbow macaroni). Also, I buy the Joseph's flax, oat & bran pita & lavash to use for wraps, gyros, flatbread pizza, etc.

I use my Ninja Foodie (air fryer & pressure cooker) constantly. I even started a blog to document some of my recipes and to help keep me accountable. If I don't post every 2 weeks or so I have people that call and ask about new recipes so that accountability factor stays in place.
  • burrowsbay4510
    burrowsbay4510 Posts: 5 Member
    Choboni zero sugar is delicious! I am pre diabetic. I add fruit. Almonds raw oatmeal
  • OklahomaMaMa
    OklahomaMaMa Posts: 2 Member
    PamperedLinny, would you share your blog address? Thx!
  • OklahomaMaMa
    OklahomaMaMa Posts: 2 Member
    I am Type 2 and boy do I need recipes.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,545 Member
    PamperedLinny, would you share your blog address? Thx!

Absolutely! You can find it at https://pamperedlinny.wixsite.com/coffee-required
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    I have found this site to be very helpful. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/healthy-low-carb-meals. Lots of good info in that site. You can also find a PDF of the Atkins carb counter chart on line. This system would not allow me to attach the PDF.
  • GloriaBJN
    GloriaBJN Posts: 78 Member
    Search type 2 diabetes on pinterest. Endless recipes there.
  • HezGriffin
    HezGriffin Posts: 10 Member
    You can make cookies with Stevia and almond flour. Try GF Gluten Free Products. Check your fave stores & Amazon. You HAVE to cook, but I’d bet a low carb high fat diet would work for ya. Also up your Magnesium & Potassium intake, talk to your Dr about supplements & amounts. Hydrate, more water! Also…Google pasta and bread alternatives. Corn is your friend. Refined flour and sugar the enemy (for all of us) corn taco shells, corn tortillas, 100% corn chips not flour. Polenta!! Read labels now…for me? Changing my mind and seeing this as self-care, just like a bath or a foot soak or aromatherapy in your home? Same! It’s all to take down inflammation and heal you 💚 much love & good luck on your healing journey
  • Carollee24
    Carollee24 Posts: 12 Member
    I am Type 2 Diabetic as well. I unfortunately had a mild heart attack a little over a month ago. So I have been shaken into reality by it. So since I had the health issue I do a 1200 calorie a day program on myfitnesspal and have since I came home from the hospital. My numbers are all down on my blood work now, and I am mindful of not using to many carbs or pretty much no sugar other than in my fruit etc. No rich foods at all. Mostly fish baked or grilled or chicken and eggs plus my dairy and vegies. I'm learning a whole new way of cooking. Give it a try, don't wait until it's to late is my best advice.
  • Carollee24
    Carollee24 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks for your sugestions! I will give some of them a try for sure.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    I have been living with Type 2 for some time now, sometimes more successfully, sometimes not. I found when I was first diagnosed I cut out all sweets, switched from white bread to whole grain bread, avoided pasta and potatoes. Once I got my A1C to a more 'normal' level I slowly added back a few things. I did see a nutritionist/diabetic educator and she had some great ideas as well. I found that I could have a small piece of birthday cake at my grandchildren's birthdays without doing too much damage to my numbers. I have tried whole wheat pasta, not a fan, also not a fan of zoodles or substituting cauliflower for rice, potatoes, etc. So much is personal taste, try it, if you like it, it's an awesome substitute. I do most of the cooking as my husband's idea of cooking is everything fried, and eating the same thing 3 or 4 days a week.