Fine-tune your plant-based June

1235»

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,892 Member
    Mornin' all... yesterday went fine. I didn't struggle quite as much getting up off the floor as last time. I've been practicing getting up gracefully at home. LOL

Plan for today...
    B - oats with berries, sliced peach, cinnamon, chia/flax
    L - ezekiel wrap with lots of veggies and lettuce, an apple with a smidge of PB
    D - lentils, sauteed collard greens and onion, roasted broccoli, watermelon

Need to get breakfast, jump in the shower, then head to the office. Starting a file review today. Dreading it, but whatever I can get done today there will be that much less to do next weekend when I plan to finish it. There are 10 file drawers stuffed to capacity. Should be able to close a whole bunch of them which will clear up a lot of room. I hope I can get through two drawers today but it just depends on what I run into, and I can get a feel for how long I'll be spending on each drawer.

Once I get home I'll need to do laundry and some cooking, and hit the treadmill. I want to be home by early afternoon so I better get a move on!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 734 Member
    edited June 2022
    Carla - thanks for the recipe. I guess I'll give in and make some almond butter. I'm not crazy about making nut butters in the blender because it's such a mess to clean up, but the stuff in the store is so expensive, over $5 for a little 8oz jar.
    Mihani - glad to hear your second gym session went better.

Today:
    B - The last Beyond burger with some red onion, pickles, etc. and a slice of FYH cheese.
    L - Peanut tofu Buddha Bowl (one of my favorite recipes and I got to break in my new wok)
    D - Tofu scramble

Have a great night everyone
  • Hi ... how active is the group?
  • Mihani
    Hi tlcadwallader! We try to check in every day. It's a small but supportive group.

Mornin' campers... I stayed at the office almost 6 hours yesterday and spent probably 5 of it on one file drawer. Seriously. ONE. This is going to be a bigger project than I anticipated. I'm going to try to work on it an hour or two each day this week and hope to be able to finish over next weekend.

Got an excellent watermelon that I cut up last night. It is nearly perfect. Yum yum!

Carla, did you get your A/C working? Sure hope so. I wonder if the heat is what's draining your energy to work on your creations.

Spring, what kind of wok did you get? I got a Rachael Ray one last year that I really like.

Got my laundry and cooking done yesterday so I'm all set through at least Wednesday on food.

Plan for today...
    B - ezekiel toast and made a smoothie to take to the office for a little later
    L - sauteed onion, collard greens, purple cabbage, pinto beans, black beans, brown rice, watermelon
    D - baked tofu, roasted broccoli, more watermelon
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,332 Member
    Hi tlcadwallader :) Welcome, join in!

How are you doing, Nanc? I hope you are off to a good start to your weekend.

The AC is working great! Joe replaced the filter but that's all he did. Today will get up to around 90, and then we have a few days in the low 70s with some showers. I don't mind that, saves me from a few days of watering the garden!

Ooh, thanks for the heads up, Mihani. I might try a watermelon. They have to be really good for me to eat them and I don't like throwing them out, but I find bad watermelon to be especially off-putting.

Spring, you could try peanut butter instead. It is just a bit of 'glue' to hold everything together and adds a touch of salt.

b - oatmeal (even though it's hot out, I am just loving my blueberry oatmeal)
    lunch - carrots & hummus and or fruit salad
    dinner - leftover baked tofu with a veggie stir fry
    1/2 caramel apple

• SparkSpringtime69
    @tlcadwallader1956gemm , welcome to the group.
    Mihani - I got a Joyce Chen one. I actually already had one, but it had a round bottom and I used it with a ring on my gas stove. Unfortunately my new home has an electric stove so I had to get a flat-bottomed one. It was kind of a pain to season (the first one was done in the oven, but I guess the wood handles on this one made that impossible).
    Carla - I'll give the peanut butter a shot, thanks.

Today:
    B - Peanut Tofu Buddha Bowl
    L - Follow Your Heart pepper jack cheese melted on a whole wheat tortilla.Peanut tofu Buddha Bowl (one of my favorite recipes and I got to break in my new wok)
    D - Tofu scramble
    Probably snack on some grapes.
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,759 Member
    Today…

Black coffee
    Just egg, spinach, Violife parm microplane
    Lavash pizza
    Bean and corn pasta salad

Nectarine

• Mihani
    Yay for A/C that works, Carla!

Spring, what recipe for the tofu bowl do you use?

Magic! Glad to see you post. Hope you are feeling better.

Workout tonight was awesome. I really enjoyed it. Made my muscles burn but nothing that actually hurt.

And had a perfect WFPB kind of day too! No sneaking any pretzels or crackers or overdoing the portions on rice or bread.

B - (took to office and had around 9:30) roasted broccoli, apple with a spoonful of PB
    L - leftover cooked greens and beans with brown rice
    D - smoothie

• SparkSpringtime69
    edited June 2022
    Magic - so glad to see you back, I hope you're starting to heal from the hurt.
    Mihani - here is the link: https://www.delishknowledge.com/peanut-tofu-buddha-bowl/#tasty-recipes-21123-jump-target
    Not sure if you're oil-free, this recipe is not as written. I guess you could omit the oil, but I think the taste of the sesame oil enhances the flavor of the dish. I use creamy peanut butter, and usually top the bowl with a sprinkling of chopped scallions and some crushed peanuts.
    B - Peanut Tofu Buddha Bowl
    L - Follow Your Heart pepper jack cheese melted on a whole wheat tortilla.
    D - Walnut "meat" tacos with cashew cheese and guacamole on hard taco shells.
    Taco Nut "Meat" (Ani Phyo)
    1 cup walnuts
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon cumin, ground
    2 teaspoons coriander, ground
    1 teaspoon Braggs Liquid Aminos or Nama Shoyu (I use Braggs or just soy sauce)
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste (I omit this if I use soy sauce)
  • Mihani
    Thanks for the recipes, Spring!

Last night's workout was amazing. I felt great after. I can already tell a difference in my energy and my posture is better after just 3 workouts. Plus hitting the treadmill in the mornings. Going to get back to 10 or 15 minutes of yoga and stretching in the evening before bed. That always makes me feel better. I spend a good portion of my life tense and I really feel it in my shoulders and neck.

Breakfast and lunch were the same today as yesterday except I had watermelon instead of an apple. Dinner tonight is a veggie sammich (avocado, spring mix, heirloom tomato, red pepper, sprinkle of black pepper and no salt seasoning) on ezekiel toast. I'll have a smoothie for dessert. Ran to the grocery on the way home tonight and have stuff to cook tomorrow or Friday to get me through another 3 or 4 days.

Also ate one of the plums I bought after Nanc got me thinking about them. It was SO good. Really good plums have to be eaten over the sink. LOL

• Mihani
    Today was another repeat day for meals. Loving the heirloom tomatoes. Got the treadmill time in this morning plus 5 minutes with the dumbbells and another 5 minutes stretching. I have had 100% WFPB no crackers or pretzels for 3 days in a row. :)
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,357 Member
    Hi my name is Marilyn and I have just joined this team.

Not sure how active a group it is - could you let me know

Also I have a few questions please

1) why is everyone eating this way - because it is healthy or because of health problems that led them to eat this way

2) how long have you been eating this style

3) anyone here following the outline of Dr John McDougall re no animal, no dairy, no oil

4) does anyone here have kidney disease and using this program to correct this disease

Look forward to many of you answering these questions as a lot of these answers will tell me whether I should be here on this group as I do need the support. Also I am a senior (74) so am also wondering how many of you are near my age
  • Mihani
    Hi Marilyn, welcome to the group. We try to check in most days but I don't think anyone here is online all the time so it could be a day before you get a response. We started the monthly threads to have a place to touch base easily, which reminds me we need to start the July thread!

I became vegan over 10 years ago because I was already vegetarian for many years and thought it was the next logical step. I started down this road solely because of animal welfare and I was a fat vegetarian! Then I started reading the books by Fuhrman, McDougall, Esselstyn, Campbell, Barnard and it made so much sense to me. I know when I'm sticking to WFPB, no oil, etc. that I feel so much better and my weight stays in check.

After going full vegan I realized I probably had a diary intolerance because my complexion cleared up and I had no more digestive issues.

That said I'm still struggling to lose the last 20 to 25 pounds that I need to lose, but I am 70 pounds less than I was at my highest weight 10 years ago. I'm not much into sweets but I do love salty snacky stuff like crackers, pretzels, and blue corn chips, and I tend to overdo the starches sometimes. Plus I tend to indulge in alcohol on weekends and then I really overdo the starches and fats. I recently joined a gym and I've committed myself to 100% WFPB and no alcohol for 90 days.

We have a range of ages of people hanging out here but Magic is in her 70s. I'm 58.

I don't think anyone here has specific kidney issues, but I've read statistics and just looked it up to refresh my memory. Over 1 in 7 people in the US have chronic kidney disease. Yikes, right? If you haven't read How Not to Die by Dr. Greger, I highly recommend it. I didn't particularly care for the second book, How Not to Diet.

Off to finish getting ready for work. If anyone has inspiration for the July thread please get it started. Have a great day y'all!
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,357 Member
    @Mihani - thanks for the welcome and letting me no more about the group. Much appreciate. I am still somewhat in the learning process but have made lots of changes.

Started with no dairy as I was having 2 eggs every morning - stopped that and felt better pretty much right away. Then got told about having Kidney Damage Stage (my GFR is down to 32 and should be higher than 60)

So was told to do the following
    1) 64 oz of water daily and up to 90 oz would be best

2) absolutely NO salt and no processed food whatsoever meaning anything with a label or packaged for long shelf life is not to be eaten as it has been preserved with salt and sugar which are both hard for the kidneys

3) animal protein to be no more than 2 oz once a day preferably none getting all the necessary protein from the vegetables, legumes and beans.

So that is what I have been working on - and amazingly the first 4 weeks have been somewhat easy but the last 3 days I have gone off the deep end and have had so much sodium due to eating hot dogs and MacDonalds. But that was yesterday, today things are looking better as I am looking forward to having the great vegetables I am enjoying eating now - and am really liking eating brown rice and/potatoes at both lunch and dinner.

It is a new month now so am planning to get through July with eating correct - also looking forward to watching the scale go down with making these better choices.

Should you want / need another person to help out with leading please let me know as I am on MFP each day to log in my food so would be willing to log into the group just to let others know that there is someone there each day to read the messages.

uuzxqf62roae.jpg
  • Mihani
    Mornin' all, I'm setting up the July thread now so I'll see you there :)

Marilyn, at some point in the journey you stop thinking of some things as "food" and that's kind of cool when that happens! I love making (and eating) tasty recipes, but I do best when I keep it very simple. Just lots of whole grains, beans, raw and cooked veggies, nuts and seeds, fruit. Nothing fancy just throw together bowls and top with a nut based sauce, dressing or salsa. I love spicy brown mustard so I often use that as a dressing. Plus then I'm not overwhelmed with having too much food to eat up during the week and/or having time to do all that cooking.