Jazz it up July

Options
Mihani
Mihani Posts: 3,936 Member
Not too inspired of a title but it's early and I have only had one cup of coffee! <3 y'all

Replies

• Mihani
    Options
    I hit post too soon and forgot to add my July goals.

First and foremost, continue with the new gym regimen. I have a class at 9:00 so I had an early breakfast around 6:30 so I wouldn't pass out during class. LOL

Second and just as important, stick with the simple WFPB foods that I was eating all last week. I've been taking breakfast to work to eat between 9 and 10 or whenever I get hungry, and not eating anything after 7 in the evening. This gives me a good 14 hour fast between dinner and breakfast. I've also changed up my breakfasts to plants. First part of the past week it was roasted broccoli and some fruit, and yesterday I nuked a steamer bag of peas and threw half of them on a big bed of arugula with some spicy mustard and black pepper. Much tastier than I anticipated and definitely kept me fueled until early afternoon lunch. Discovered I enjoy smoothies even more at night especially if I have a workout at the gym in which case I add half a scoop of plant based protein powder.

Plan for today...
    B - 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2 T raisins, 1 T chia/flax, cinnamon (just added water to moisten normally don't cook my oats other than steel cut or scottish)
    S- will eat the other half of the steamed peas and some fruit after my strength class
    L - big ol' salad, cantaloupe
    D - spaghetti squash with roasted grape tomatoes and red pepper, steamed asparagus

I'm down 4 pounds over the past 2 weeks, which isn't a huge drop, but I can really tell a difference in how my clothes fit. The workouts are effective, plus I've hit the treadmill for 20 minutes most mornings plus spending 10 minutes or so a day playing around with light dumbbells or doing wall pushups.

Going to work at home today while doing laundry and will roast broccoli and make hummus while I cook dinner tonight. Going to the office both tomorrow and Monday. I have a project going that simply isn't getting done during the workday with the thousand interruptions and distractions.

Off to get ready to head to the gym. I'm definitely less afraid of going than I was the first few times, but I still get a little anxious. Hopefully I'll get over that after a few more classes.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You are killing it at the gym Mihani! Awesome work. And congrats on the 4-pound weight loss!

Nance, hope you're okay *hugs*

Marilyn, so glad you've joined us :) Welcome! I started eating plant based after reading Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live book. I began this journey in 2011-ish to lose weight and control my blood sugar. My husband came along for the ride. We have been inconsistent, but when 'on plan' my blood sugar gets in check quickly, and after a few weeks I go from having almost daily headaches to having them very rarely. We slip up with dairy occasionally. So, my motivation to begin eating plant-based was for health reasons, but it didn't take long before I realized how easy it was to get by without meat. I didn't miss it and I liked that I could save lives by making such a simple choice. I love that it is also a more environmentally friendly way to eat.

I lost a total of about 6 pounds in June, bringing me up to a 30-lb loss so far I think. For July, I want to lose another 6 lbs and increase my walking. I also want to spend less. Because, yeesh. Nothing like losing 30 lbs to make you want to buy a whole new wardrobe!!!

Today's Plan
    coffee
    Dr Fuhrman's blueberry oatmeal
    carrots and hummus
    water fried veggies over noodles, baked tofu
    half of a 'caramel' apple

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @Mihani - thanks for the welcome and letting me no more about the group. Much appreciate. I am still somewhat in the learning process but have made lots of changes.

Started with no dairy as I was having 2 eggs every morning - stopped that and felt better pretty much right away. Then got told about having Kidney Damage Stage (my GFR is down to 32 and should be higher than 60)

So was told to do the following
    1) 64 oz of water daily and up to 90 oz would be best

2) absolutely NO salt and no processed food whatsoever meaning anything with a label or packaged for long shelf life is not to be eaten as it has been preserved with salt and sugar which are both hard for the kidneys

3) animal protein to be no more than 2 oz once a day preferably none getting all the necessary protein from the vegetables, legumes and beans.

So that is what I have been working on - and amazingly the first 4 weeks have been somewhat easy but the last 3 days I have gone off the deep end and have had so much sodium due to eating hot dogs and MacDonalds. But that was yesterday, today things are looking better as I am looking forward to having the great vegetables I am enjoying eating now - and am really liking eating brown rice and/potatoes at both lunch and dinner.

It is a new month now so am planning to get through July with eating correct - also looking forward to watching the scale go down with making these better choices.

Hi, Marilyn. I am the token sloth, and currently also the token male in the group, I think. I am also a lapsed ETL'er. I never really quite got the hang of it, and have never really been able to go full vegan. I have been vegetarian for about 2 1/2 years, and agree with what you've been told to help your kidney function.

I had kidney cancer 2 1/2 years ago, and had a right radical nephrectomy, so am down to 1 kidney. Currently my kidney function is acceptable for having just one kidney. But, I'm conscious of the need to eat as kidney friendly as I can.

I try to drink a lot of water daily, something in the range you mentioned. I don't salt my food, and try to eat lower salt foods. I do eat a bit too much processed food, though. I try to eat a lot more salads. But being lazy, I buy Wendy's salads with no chicken on them, and add black beans and extra unsalted nuts. Or prepackaged salads, again, adding beans and nuts. If I have a fast food burger, I get the plant based patty, Beyond Meat or Impossible Burger, if they are served. There are a few places in Canada that serve them. At home I eat Yves veggie hot dogs. I have always assumed that the taste of a hot dog is 'simulated' in some way, and I must be right, because the veggie dogs taste exactly the same.

I'm simultaneously trying to keep my kidney working, stave off cancer metastasis, lose weight, be healthier and not feel like I'm missing out on good food. I believe in the WFPB way of eating. But, I tend to find it more restrictive than I want, and it requires a certain amount of dedication and effort to prepare. Not strong qualities in a sloth.

I have found that time and time again, trying to radically change my diet leads to eventual binging and giving up. But once you've been 'good' for a couple of weeks, if you resist the temptations, you can get through it. Sweets are really my nemesis. I can eat 'healthy' ( by my standards ) until I break down, and eat something chocolate, and then, it's like all bets are off. Derailed. I can try to dabble with less hyper- palatable deserts, like tapioca pudding, stuff like that, and maybe stay on track. But, it's a tightrope act.

I've lost some weight since I recently ( about 2 months ago? ) reset, and straightened up my diet a lot. That has made me feel quite a bit better, and motivates me to keep going. I believe that you have to figure out what works for you.

This is a very supportive group, and will always have great ideas for you.

Oh... and I assume you've been told NO NSAIDS? Apparently, they are death to kidneys.

My real name is Scott. But everyone calls me Sloth.

krag97whyrvp.jpg

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Mihani - I like Jazz it Up July! Glad to hear the gym is working out for you, and congrats on the weight loss.
    Carla - Congrats to you too for the 6 pounds off in June. I had a modest 2 pound loss in June, but that's better than a gain :)
    Welcome @Marilynsretired and @sloth3toes
    Today:
    B - whole wheat tortilla with cashew cheese and a big handful of spring mix
    L - Walnut bean burger, and a few potato chips
    D - Vegetable and soba noodle soup

My plan for July is to avoid processed food for the most part with the exceptions of tortilla wraps (whole wheat until they're gone and then corn) and condiments. I pulled out a bunch of recipes to cook over the next few days, and will freeze some of the leftovers each day. Yesterday I made the soup (it was ok), today the walnut bean burger (it's very good but doesn't stay together too well). Tomorrow will be Tofu Tuno Salad and sometime next week the Chickpea Sunflower Seed Salad and a couple of veggie dishes.
    I'll be at my sister's for the fourth so I'm not sure how my eating is going to be that day.
    Plan for fitness is to really work on my ST routine. I started June good, but have been lazy lately.

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,484 Member
    Options
    Doing well for the 2nd day of July - though I had some whole wheat bread toasted with peanut butter on it and that has pulled me down as I know this is a food that I must not have - salt level in that brings me up way over my 600 mg goal so it makes the rest of the day difficult as there is salt in everything - all our good vegetables has some salt - some more than others.

But I a learning and have been getting over a bout of pain that resulted in taken a prescribed med that had codeine in it and that has pulled me way down for the last 3 weeks as it is taking that long for that drug to get out of my system - and codeine is very very constipated. Anyway it is getting better but am so tired of feeling this way but with time I am getting better so learning more about patience.

Am having spaghetti squash with a vegetable sauce over it for dinner - not sure how much hubby will like it but I am not up to making 2 different meals - think he would prefer a meat based sauce but again he is learning along with me to enjoy vegetables type sauces and stir frys.

764q8vhmukqa.jpg
  • Mihani
    Options
    Woohoo, Carla! Another 6 pounds down! Your goals for July sound very good and reasonable. I tend to expect too much then I'm mad when my unrealistic goals don't happen. That's the main reason I'm focusing on strength now and letting the weight loss take care of itself.

Scott! We've missed our token male. Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself and your remaining kidney.

Spring, seems like bean burgers always want to fall apart on me too. I'm impressed with the variety of recipes you try out. What kind of strength training routine do you do?

Marilyn, hope that you start feeling better soon. I was planning spaghetti squash for dinner too, but I ended up crashing for a few hours today and I'm not too hungry so I probably won't eat dinner or maybe just some fruit. That's great your husband is at least willing to give WFPB a try with you. I'm single so it's not an issue but I imagine it's definitely easier when the family is on board.

Class this morning was awesome! I was told this would be a hard class and it was definitely challenging but I got through it. Lots of squats, lunges and lifts. I was very hungry after so I had a smoothie when I got home then half hour later a sandwich (lots of veggies and lettuce on ezekiel) and one square of dark chocolate. I like just a bite of dark chocolate now and then so it's safe to keep around. I don't crave sweets, but if I have cookies in the house I will eat them so I just don't buy them.

Nanc, we miss you! Hope you are doing okay.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Mihani - the burger was very good so I think I might try adding a flax egg to it next time so it'll maybe stick together better. I have to use recipes, I'm a terrible cook :D
    Right now I do squats, push-ups, planks and dumbbell rows. I want to add more dumbbell exercises this month. The rows are for a pull-up challenge. There are 6 levels that you work through and the first is to do 3 sets of 8 rows with 25 pounds. Then you move to next level, etc. I'm up to 20 pounds now so I think in a couple more weeks I might finally get to the second level.
    Marilyn - I wish I could get my DH on board with WFPB!
  • tlcadwallader1956gemm
    Options
    Hey all! Jazz up July is also #plasticfreejuly, so they kinda go hand in hand. This was my lunch today. Now my goal is your remember the motivation that got my cooking juices flowing!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Spring, wow your workout sounds great! I was really into strength training 6 or 8 years ago but now I'm starting over. The interesting (and sad) thing to me is that I recently realized I'm the same weight I was 8 years ago but I'm a size larger in clothes. Really reinforces the importance of strength and toning exercises. I don't think I have ever been able to do a pull up so I'm rooting for you on that challenge! Do you mind me asking your age? I don't recall if you ever mentioned. I'm 58 and definitely finding strength training more of a challenge than it was at 50.

Hi tlcadwallader! I didn't see a pic of your lunch in your post. How are things going for you?

For the newer folks a recap of my struggle with gaining/losing repeatedly and my recent resolve to STOP that. Little history is that 10 years ago when I went from vegetarian to vegan I lost 30 pounds without even trying. I was literally not watching my diet or doing any extra exercise and 30 pounds melted off in like 2 months. I figured that was giving up cheese because it was on or in practically everything I ate. LOL

Then I started reading (or in some cases re-reading) the books by all the vegan docs and although I've always eaten a lot of veggies, I really cleaned up my diet (no oil and a lot more greens), started exercising, and over the next 6 or 8 months lost another 40 pounds. For the most part I've kept off that total 70 pounds although I have bounced up and down 10 or 15 pounds several times. I know how absolutely terrible yo you dieting is for health and am determined to stop doing that. I still need to lose another 20 pounds or so, but I'm focusing more on fitness and strength and will let the scale take care of itself.

Oh, just bought a new cookbook. I swore off buying cookbooks a couple years ago because I have way too many and rarely use them, but I've been reading Fiber Fueled by Dr. Will Bulsiewicz and he wrote the forward for plantyou by Carleigh Bodrug. I had not heard of Carleigh honestly, although she's apparently a popular vegan blogger. Not sure if I'd recommend yet since I haven't tried any of the recipes. I'm going to make the mac and peas recipe tomorrow. Fiber Fueled is interesting although I'm only a few chapters into it so far.

Plan for today...
    B - oats with berries, chia/flax, cinnamon (taking to the office with me to eat later)
    L - Dr. McDougall hot and sour soup, apple with a smidge of PB
    D - the spaghetti squash with roasted tomatoes that I didn't make last night, plus steamed asparagus
    Maybe another piece of fruit somewhere. Cut up a cantaloupe the other day but it's kind of disappointing and I'm not enjoying it much.

• SparkSpringtime69
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    Spring, wow your workout sounds great! I was really into strength training 6 or 8 years ago but now I'm starting over. The interesting (and sad) thing to me is that I recently realized I'm the same weight I was 8 years ago but I'm a size larger in clothes. Really reinforces the importance of strength and toning exercises. I don't think I have ever been able to do a pull up so I'm rooting for you on that challenge! Do you mind me asking your age? I don't recall if you ever mentioned. I'm 58 and definitely finding strength training more of a challenge than it was at 50.

Mihani - I've also done ST on and off over my lifetime (I'm in my early 60's so just a few years older than you). It's definitely harder to get back into as I get older. In my 20's and 30's I was very into the gym and staying fit. In my 30's I even took Tae Kwon Do lessons for over 5 years and earned my black belt (can't do any of that now though :/ ) The last 30 years I've phased in and out of a good fitness routine; I don't know why the phase-outs happen because I always feel so much better physically and mentally when I'm keeping myself in good shape.
    I think toning and strengthening your muscles definitely helps keep you in shape and keeps your weight in check, the larger your muscles are, the more calories you burn. I also have about another 20 pounds to lose, and have been yo-yo-ing for a while. I'm hoping this month's change to a real whole foods approach will help me drop at least 1/3 of those last pounds.
    Hi to everyone!
    Today:
    B - Walnut bean burger with vegan cashew cheese on whole wheat tortilla
    L - Vegetable and soba noodle soup, 2 corn tortillas with cashew cheese
    D - Tofu Tuno Salad on spring mix
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    6rnrknllutky.jpg
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @Marilynsretired LOVE THAT QUOTE!!!!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Okay my plans have all changed! I didn't get out of the office until after 4:00 and still had to run to the grocery so I'm not going to the office tomorrow. Still need to do laundry and cooking so I can do that tomorrow while I work here at home. I'm putting the spaghetti squash off another day. Since it's so late I'm just going to make a veggie sandwich on ezekiel and have either a smoothie or some fruit. Maybe an almond milk yogurt. I know the store brands aren't perfect, but I have one a couple times a week just because I enjoy them.

Spring, can't say I was much into fitness and health in my 20s and 30s... mostly I was into partying. LOL

That's cool you did martial arts. Austin (who hasn't been posting lately) was really into that. Most I've done is tai chi.

I can definitely feel yesterday's workout now. Not sore just kind of tight. I'll do some yoga or stretches before bed tonight.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Today:
    B - Tofu Tuno Salad on a whole wheat tortilla
    L and D are up in the air, we're going to my sister's place. She's just a block from the beach and, if the beach is too crowded, her condo has a pool.
    Mihani - I partied hard in my 20s and 30s (I was a bartender) I just figured working out might balance things out LOL
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options
    Wishing you all a great FOURTH 🇺🇸💙❤️🇺🇸💙❤️🇺🇸…

Taking a break from the group.

Stay focused and make it delicious!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hope you're doing okay, Nanc *hugs*

Spring, I tended bar for a while at a pool hall in my 20s. That was a lot of fun. Hope you have fun at the beach (or pool).

My cooking plans got all changed up today. I totally forgot that I did a mini-shop early last week and I waited too long to cook the produce so a lot went to waste. I hate when I do that! So I made roasted potatoes (Shane & Simple recipe) and a sheet of roasted broccoli. Also made a huge skillet of water sauteed onion, chard, kale and mustard greens.

Cut up a crenshaw melon that I got last week. It's okay not going on my list of favorite melons though.

Today...
    B - skipped it
    L - veggie sammich (baby romaine, red pepper, tomato, avocado, dijon on ezekiel toast)
    S - roasted potatoes and melon
    D - smoothie

Not feeling very hungry today. I got up at 5:30 and got busy with laundry, cooking, other chores. Took a fairly lengthy nap around 1:00, did a little reading, and after I get the pup fed and have a smoothie I'll work until bedtime.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    czqgzl0ywkmi.jpg
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Mihani, the pool and beach were a bust, but there was plenty of water because it poured, really heavily poured, for a few hours; and lots of very close thunder and lightening to go with it. But my sister is a fantastic cook so the food was great (although I seriously over-ate and over-imbibed), and the storms passed early enough that the fireworks show wasn't cancelled. So overall a fun day.
    @Marilynsretired I'm really enjoying the inspiration quotes, thanks.
    @magic71755 Take care, hugs.
    Today
    B - Leftovers from my sister's house
    L - Walnut bean burger with cashew cheese on 2 small corn tortillas
    D - Tofu tuno salad on a whole wheat tortilla
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi all, worked late and I'm totally beat. Some yahoos somewhere near here were setting off fireworks until after midnight. SUPER loud and I couldn't get to sleep. I'm going to have a smoothie and probably be in bed by 8:00 tonight.

Spring, sounds like a good day despite the rain. I committed myself to no alcohol for the initial 90 days at the new gym. So far it has been easy but we'll see if that continues.

B - steamed broccoli, sauteed greens and onions, roasted potatoes
    L - veggies and lettuce in ezekiel wrap with dijon and 1/2 a small avocado
    D - green smoothie, a peach

• Marilynsretired
    Options
    ofv54ydavlf0.jpg