The Backstabbers (Red Ryan #2) by William W. Johnstone
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    The Five Wounds - Kirstin Valdez Quade
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber. It's charming, and I'm definitely going to try some of the recipes!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Tool of War (Ship Breaker) by Paolo Bacigalupi
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    So I read the first 10 pages of The Five Wounds - nothing wrong with it, but I decided it wasn't what I was in the mood to read, so am setting it aside.
    Started The Nineth House - by Leigh Bardugo last night. Read over 50 pages - if I didn't have to be at work today I would have stayed up reading into the wee small hours of the night. I've got a long 4 day weekend this week so I predict I'll have it finished with in the week.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Bacchanal by Veronica Henry. This is her debut novel, historical fiction fantasy, and I checked it out from Kindle Unlimited.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    When We Were Arabs by Massoud Hayoun
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Started Foxmask, the second book in the Saga of the Light Isles by Juliet Marillier. I read book one in April and liked it quite a bit. Most of what I have read by Juliet Marillier has been to my liking.
  • Mau_Hutch
    Mau_Hutch Posts: 25 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    OMG What am I not reading? I tend to get 5 books out of library at a time and read the first chapter of each to see what grabs me. Plus I read a book aloud after dinner to my son and DH. And another aloud just to my son!

Just finished. This Time Tomorrow (Straub). Time travel book sort of. Not an adventure type one more along the lines of personal relationships. I enjoyed it. It was an easy read.

Current: Burntcoat (Hall). Short book. I should be able to finish it today but it is a bit difficult for me to follow. Lot of jumping around. About a pandemic, go figure.

Read first chapter of:
    What We Don't Talk About when we talk about Fat (Gordon). I am sure I will find the rest of the book enlightening. But confronting those difficult emotions. Wow.
    Take Your Breath Away (Barclay) Canadian author. Already forgot the first chapter. Oops
    Set Boundaries, Find Peace. (Tawwab). I think this will be a TERRIFIC self-help book.
    A Rip Through Time (Armstrong). Can't WAIT to read this. I just thought I should finish the short book by the pulitzer prize winning author first. :|
    Every Summer After (Fortune). Another book sure to be a great breezy read.
    Burnout: The Secret to Lunlocking the Stress Cycle (Nagoski) OMG another terrific self-help. NOT a bunch of BS either. Can't wait.
    Night-crawling (MOttley). As this is not my experience of life, set from the perspective of an African-American who lives in a really rough neighbourhood -think she has to go on the run from something in the book - I am sure I will find it a tough read, but worthwhile.

Reading with Son and Husband
    Captain Blood (Sabatini). A swashbuckling pirate adventure that likely inspired the Pirates of the Caribbean series. It is fun, but as it was written exactly 100 years ago, it is difficult to read all the ways that women are objectified, described and minimized in the story except as love interest. Also the slaves - hate reading about the use of them without any apparent judgement from the author. (it is set in the 1600s)

Reading with son:
    Washington Black (Edugyan) A terrific read about a young slave and the things that happen to him, but set as a fantasy. And not overly heavy with difficult things about slavery (there are some parts that are somewhat tough to read, but important to the story). Very readable and enjoyable so far (halfway through)

• Btrflydog
    Options
    I finished The Nineth House - Leigh Bardugo last night. 4.5 stars.

Next up Crazy Rich Asians -Kevin Kwan
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »

I have read her Shadow and Bone trilogy and it was interesting, in a good way. I wanted to watch the TV series based on the books but I never did. I'll probably continue the series at some point, there are more stories that take place in the world that she crafted.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »

I have read her Shadow and Bone trilogy and it was interesting, in a good way. I wanted to watch the TV series based on the books but I never did. I'll probably continue the series at some point, there are more stories that take place in the world that she crafted.

I have the Trilogy in my TBR pile. Looking forward to it. There will be a sequel to The Nineth House coming out in January as well. The Nineth House is geared towards adults, rather than YA readers that her other works are geared towards. Just FYI.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    How High We Go in the Dark
    by Sequoia Nagamatsu

Sci-fi sort of, but not like spaceships and rivets.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Knight's Ransom by Jeff Wheeler
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Warrior's Ransom by Jeff Wheeler
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Into the Woods - Tana French