Shape Shifters Team Chat - AUGUST 2022

Replies

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,777 Member
    So I worked the past few days, and ot was misserable. 12 hour shifts, 100 degrees everyday, and the AC went out. It was aweful but I made it. I have a few days off, so i plan to work out if I cant wake before the heat hits. Been good on my diet except today, barely any sleep for days, and I could barely function so I caved, but overall sticking to my better eating
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,306 Member
    @jessicakrall8 — I think you posted this response to the “Saturday Study Group” question I posed; so, I apologize for the delay in getting back to you but I thought this was a very insightful reflection on stress eating:

Quote - “What I learned from it, is that it doesn't make you happy, it doesn't remove the points of stress, it doesn't solve any problems and in fact, creates more issues!”

I’m going to try to pause regularly during this (somewhat*) stressful week to repeat your quote and remind myself that eating will not help me through the tasks ahead. I’m balancing virtual work meetings and projects while traveling.

Today, I’m helping my mother with some household projects while also assisting my two sons with their moves, and finding a new place for one of them to live by Friday. My older son needs the room or apartment for his final year of college because the students are only guaranteed three years in the dormitory. Since he had to leave during COVID and take classes virtually, we’re also appealing to the university for a room if one becomes available.

Our younger son has been working as an intern with a local politician because he’s majoring in resource management and environmental policy. He has enjoyed the work experience but he’s very social and misses his friends. He did a good job seeking opportunities to meet people his age by playing basketball at the local YMCA but he’s excited to see his friends back home. He has a flight scheduled for Friday night and I’m a bit worried about our 20 year old - who hasn’t seen his friends for about two months - at our house alone this coming weekend. 🥳 Of course, he is going to be living with five friends off campus this year so we have to trust that he can find balance and navigate the risks that the 20 year old brain faces 🤞🙏🏼🤞 but I need to have a conversation with him to clearly set expectations for this weekend.

While we are here, my husband is continuing to look at full time care facilities for his 90 year old Dad while and, during our drive yesterday, we learned that his Dad caught COVID from one of his home health care providers. My husband comes to Boston for one week each month to care for him and his three siblings cover meals the other three weeks. The care givers are there during the day and usually have lunch with my father-in-law and they often take him for walks along the beach but he hasn’t wanted to go out much this month due to the heat. His even more confused and disoriented because of the virus but he doesn’t have a fever and his oxygen level seems fine. I’m going to bring an oxygen monitor to his house this morning and my husband is doing his best to keep his distance but he’s worried about infecting our older son and me during the long car ride home.

We planned to return home on Monday but now we’re trying to wrap up everything up by early Saturday so we can drive back to the DC area in time for our friends’ gathering in memory of their sweet dog Mitch on Sunday.

*I recognize that these stressors are relatively tame compared to what other people face, so I’m grateful that we can support our adult children and parents this way. I’m exactly where I want to be this week — But, I still have to remind myself not to seek comfort in food, especially when taking my sister to dinner on Thursday to celebrate her (Sunday) birthday. I feel very fortunate to be balancing work and family ☺️ — AND it can be stressful. I describe it as having a FULL life 😉. Thanks for helping my through it with your wise insights @jessicakrall8!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @laceyf53 — Congratulations for both literally figuratively “getting back on the horse”!

Keep up the good work! It’s great to have you here as part of the Shape Shifters team.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Step goal: 6,000
    7/31: 6,811
    8/1: 6,074

Hubby and I have started taking a walk every day! We’ve both wanted to lose weight for a while, so I’m happy he’s been joining me. We’re just walking around the neighborhood, but every step counts! Speaking of steps, our little man has started walking around the house!!! It’s so cute watching him walk around, yelling “DADT.” 🥰

What an exciting time! It’s so fun to witness milestones like walking. You and your husband are setting an important example for your son. You’ll also be healthier and probably more calm and relaxed as parents. 🙌🎉👏👏🎉🙌

• PatriceFitnessPal
    @angmarie28 - I’m so sorry to hear about your bad week but it sounds as though you handled it as well as you could. Good for you and I hope you can now get some rest.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,007 Member
    a84wqzb1yd0p.gif
    REMINDER

Missing the following weigh ins so far this week:
    @Jax_Grim
    @gofishs
    @JenHul
    @Motiv8tedMom

Please post on your weigh day and if you find it isn't working with your schedule, let me know. I'm more than happy to switch you to another day that meets your needs!
    Jessica
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    Current Maintenance Weigh In
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    Steps:
    7/31 10,299
    8/1 8,053
    8/2 7,632
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Hi SS...A returning member is joining your team ... Please welcome @leni1us :)

p4vi8fy6oj2k.jpg

Hey there!!! WELCOME BACK @leni1us and @laceyf53 !!! Glad y'all returned to the fam! So catch us up on what's been going on in your life while you both were away! Got a few goals you wanna share with the crew?!!

Got a few new people you might not know, so please introduce yourselves and get to know the members who arrived recently!

Hope all is well...let me know if you have any questions or if you want to join the Step Challenge for August! You know the drill...daily goal, first name for the chart and favorite place to walk!

Again, on behalf of the team and our two wonderful Motivators @PatriceFitnessPal and @angmarie28 welcome back!
    Jessica

Thank you @jessicakrall8! It does feel a bit like coming home. I'm excited to be back and I'm ready to make some changes.

I'm retired and love good food and good wine. The problem is.... I love it too much. I've been retired two years and my weight has steadily increased over that time. I'm focusing now on what and how much I eat. My goal this week is to exercise no less than 30 minutes every day and walk a minimum of 6,000 steps per day (right now, I'm lucky if I get in 2,000 steps).
  • jessicakrall8
    leni1us wrote: »
    Thank you @jessicakrall8! It does feel a bit like coming home. I'm excited to be back and I'm ready to make some changes.

I'm retired and love good food and good wine. The problem is.... I love it too much. I've been retired two years and my weight has steadily increased over that time. I'm focusing now on what and how much I eat. My goal this week is to exercise no less than 30 minutes every day and walk a minimum of 6,000 steps per day (right now, I'm lucky if I get in 2,000 steps).

Retirement, wow, what does THAT feel like?!! I can't even imagine...I'm about 6-9 years away, but man looking forward to THAT day! Now you can go walk whenever you feel like it and don't have to punch the proverbial clock!! I am SO jealous!!

Watch for comments from @izzyred9400 as I think she's a wine drinker--Izzy, we need your expertise...how do you handle your calories set aside for wine? ...I do know from reading others' advice that you basically have to cut your wine calories from your food, so it's just best if you know you're going to want that wine with dinner, remove the calories from the top of your day and go on what's left...that way your wine won't knock you off your allotted amount for the day. Then it won't feel like a guilty pleasure, it will just be part of your normal day. ALSO, if you're walking daily as your plan states, it will keep you from consuming those all-important exercise points...

Too bad they don't make diet wine like they have diet soda...but I bet it would taste gross...I love my occasional diet mountain dew...it's my favorite, but I drink more water (with enhancers) than anything...crystal light lemonade or Kroger black cherry are my favorites.

Take care,
    Jessica
  • leni1us
    leni1us
    Step Goal: 6,000
    I enjoy walking around a local neighborhood park. It has a walking/running path around the perimeter of the park. It's a nice walk under the trees. The path goes by the tennis courts, baseball field, skate park, and duck pond. There's always something going on or something to see.
  • leni1us
    edited August 2022
    Hi @jessicakrall8. I took a look at the spreadsheet and my starting weight on the spreadsheet is a bit higher than what I posted. It should be 159.2 not 179.2. At 5'2", I definitely don't need the extra 20 lbs. :) Thanks.
  • laceyf53
    laceyf53 Posts: 110 Member

Retirement, wow, what does THAT feel like?!! I can't even imagine...I'm about 6-9 years away, but man looking forward to THAT day! Now you can go walk whenever you feel like it and don't have to punch the proverbial clock!! I am SO jealous!!

Watch for comments from @izzyred9400 as I think she's a wine drinker--Izzy, we need your expertise...how do you handle your calories set aside for wine? ...I do know from reading others' advice that you basically have to cut your wine calories from your food, so it's just best if you know you're going to want that wine with dinner, remove the calories from the top of your day and go on what's left...that way your wine won't knock you off your allotted amount for the day. Then it won't feel like a guilty pleasure, it will just be part of your normal day. ALSO, if you're walking daily as your plan states, it will keep you from consuming those all-important exercise points...

Too bad they don't make diet wine like they have diet soda...but I bet it would taste gross...I love my occasional diet mountain dew...it's my favorite, but I drink more water (with enhancers) than anything...crystal light lemonade or Kroger black cherry are my favorites.

Take care,
    Jessica

Spoiler, there is diet wine. 😂

https://www.makerwine.com/products/bodkin-sparkling-rose

https://www.purewow.com/wine/keto-diet-wines

https://wineindustryadvisor.com/2021/11/08/cosmopolitan-magazine-names-myx-light-best-celebrity-wine/amp

• jessicakrall8
    leni1us
    I enjoy walking around a local neighborhood park. It has a walking/running path around the perimeter of the park. It's a nice walk under the trees. The path goes by the tennis courts, baseball field, skate park, and duck pond. There's always something going on or something to see.

@leni1us What's your first name for the chart please? Thanks! I adjusted the 179.2 to 159.2. Was your starting weight still 176.0?
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Walked first thing this morning...did some work around the house on my lunch hour, then read a bit...fixed lunch and dinner today so didn't spend any money! YAY! Finally walked a little bit again before dinner...nearly a mile all total and will likely do another 10-15 min later tonight. Trying to take it easy on that left knee...it's being persnickity...

How was your day? Hope it was nice and not too crazy...me and Hazel are just chillin out tonight...watching some tv, reading...she's watching kitty tv (out the window).
    Take care,
    Jessica
  • leni1us
    leni1us

@leni1us What's your first name for the chart please? Thanks! I adjusted the 179.2 to 159.2. Was your starting weight still 176.0?
    Jessica

First name Lennie and my original starting weight when I first joined the challenge (over a year ago) was 172. Here's my original post to the "New Members" chat.

leni1us
    Weigh in Day - Friday
    Current Weight - 159.2
    Original starting weight - 172

No worries though, the future is more important than the past, right?
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 373 Member
    Hi Jess,

I did not do "intended" steps on Sunday, July 31st, other than "puttering around" the apartment. (I would assume it was way below my 10,000 daily goal.) You mentioned you have the 13,745 steps for Monday, AUG 1st.

Here are Tuesday and Wednesday:

08/02: 12,382
    08/03: 12,530

I've walked to and from work (2 miles each way) on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, plus walking around the office, etc. I will probably walk to work tomorrow but may take the bus home because Boston is expecting around 100 degrees. I will try to post daily from now on, as requested.

Have a nice night! (Carole)
  • angmarie28
    Angmarie28
    Wednesdays
    Previous weight-167.8
    Current weight-166
  • angmarie28
    8/2-11,196
  • angmarie28
    Got up and cleaned my gym then worked out, did a 2 mile run followed by 25 minutes of legs. I wanted to do more but my leglft leg was starting to have a sharp pain so I staopped before I injured it. Plan to get back in my routine
This discussion has been closed.