LC Boot Camp: Active August 2022

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
It's time for a Bootcamp. To focus hardcore on your plan's basics and to keep your body mobile, two essential focal points for the successful low-carber, or healthy human in general.

All right, troops!
Whether you're a beginner, in your stride, or a long-time maintainer, we all have things to work on. And if you're anything like me and this last month has been BONKERS, time to get more active on your challenge.

It's time for a Bootcamp. To focus hardcore on your plan's basics and to keep your body mobile, two essential focal points for the successful low-carber, or healthy human in general.
With just LIFE itself basically being unnecessarily hard sometimes and making a nuisance of itself, things are harder to do. And life can just be unpredictable and just plain stressful. Despite....NO...INSPITE OF all this nonsense we have to deal with, we can do this! Dig deep this month and laser focus on your plan basics and figuring ways to be active.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

And right now PERSISTENCE is the key word for a lot of us. It is for me for sure.

This last month...good grief! Y'all probably noticed I've been hit and miss for posting. Life is trying to kill me right now.

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice or support, you'll find that here.

A daily post could look something like this.

Wed 8/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
7/7

Or maybe if being really active is your focus:
8/1:
Activity: :+1: Got up and moved around every hour during the day. Dripping-sweat yard-stomp and angry garden weeding. 13k steps.

Or you can do something less rigid and give us a verbal description of how you are faring in your pursuits. But this is your show. So focus on your basics. Whatever they are. Make this month count! Tear it up! You've got this!

Replies

• offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I like the title LC Boot Camp!!

Last month had a few stresses but managed them well food wise. Making better food choices!

DS uses the Strava app and has encouraged me to join him. It has several challenges you can join. Been using the app for a while. You get bragging rights. The last two months not able to achieve them all...but this month going to do it! 5k, 10k, 100k distance total for the month, 2000m climb total for the month (this one is the hardest for me to do) and a few challenges that involve activity time (the easiest to achieve).

Goals from last month were carbs below 75 a day, lose a lb a week, and 10,000 steps a day.
    Results: Did not hit the carb goal but did improve greatly. I consider that a win. Lost over 4lbs another win. Missed the step goal by 22,000 so close. Overall with travel to move someone and DD being run off the road (no injuries) July in my books was a success!

Goal for August is to get down to 138 lbs and A1C test to get below 6. Need to get retested. Last test a few months back was 7.2 which was not good. :( Business Travel planned and again moving items. And maybe car shopping.
    Should be a fun month!
  • baconslave
    Options

okie day. Reporting for duty!
    My goal is to keep maintaining until camping season is over. On-plan today, ketoing on. I'll be doing a cardio workout in about an hour. :triumph:
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’ll be focused on calories in with an emphasis on good carbs and protein to feel satisfied. I am going into my third month of P90x but need to ensure NEAT improves. My move trend in apple has decreased over the last 12 weeks so I want to be sure I don’t chill too much after exercise.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Glad to be back and Thank you @baconslave for this thread. Great support here!
    Mary from Pennsylvania 65 now, Heaviest weight 255 lbs twice. :-(

UGW-122 lbs. I was there in 2009/10 and kept it off for 5 years then got lazy.

My goal is to continue with what seems to work for me. 1000-1200 calories, low carb 15 Net +/- 3(My body seems to not do well with carbs. It doesn't know how to burn them and hangs onto them way too much!), minimum 70 + oz of water, 2 meals/day on my days off(3) and 3 meals on my work days(which are long), exercise on my 3 days off. For challenges my official weigh in day is Sunday. I weigh daily.

9/14/20 SW-255 lbs
    5/3/21-240.5 lbs Emergency Gallbladder surgery
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs started MFP and Low Carb/1000-1200 calorie while recovering
    6/1/21-228.8 lbs
    7/1/21-222.2 lbs
    8/1/21-212.0 lbs
    9/1/21-200.0 lbs
    10/1/21-191.4 lbs
    11/1/21-181.8 lbs
    12/1/21-176.2 lbs
    1/1/22-168 lbs
    2/1/22-157.4 lbs
    3/1/22-155 lbs 100 lbs lost of 133 lb goal
    4/1/22-156.4 lbs (Lowest weight 4/6 & 4/7-147.6 lbs)
    5/1/22-158.8 lbs
    6/1/22-152.2 lbs
    7/1/22-157.4 lbs
    8/1/22-167.2 lbs

Been MIA almost all of July on this thread. I've been struggling with my Carb intake from my normal and it shows. :-( Still doing my Elliptical on my off days and started using weight equipment that I have in my basement. My weekly weigh in day is Sunday.

8/1/22- 167.2 lbs Elliptical 214 minutes for 14.22 miles
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm with you @baconslave on the maintaining until camping season is over. I am striving to be active every day though, even if it's just a 1.2 mile walk around my block. We're having a hotter than normal summer which has prompted me to get back to the gym a few days a week. I love the spin bike and elliptical but with the latter have noticed my feet are falling asleep after 20 min. Anyone have any insight on that? I know I need new sneakers so that might just be it.
  • taylok23
    Options
    8/1 didn’t go as planned…I ate dinner a few hours later than usual which resulted in overeating with snacks at the end of the day. I know this is a challenge so need to stay on top of that when plans go sideways. I quit Noom as it wasn’t really doing it for me so I’ll be back to logging here, watching calories and macros more closely. Move goals + NEAT was good for the day.
  • offitgoes
    Options
    Yesterday ate too many carbs, but did work out with weights and 3 mile walk in the evening.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Day 2. Doing well as long as I can escape sabotage. Got in a nice walk outdoors thanks to a "cool front." Wouldn't call that cool but it was cooler than it has been. Weights and interval cardio in the home gym today. Summer is back to it's regular nuclear shenanigans.
  • taylok23
    Options
    Day 2 went well for me. I got in 100g of protein that helped prevent me from snacking after dinner. I had another good NEAT day. I find if I can get workouts done fairly early, the rest of the day falls in place. All you newcomers, don’t be shy! Jump in and post your goals for the month. This is a supportive group. Just putting things down in writing helps with accountability.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm with you @baconslave on the maintaining until camping season is over. I am striving to be active every day though, even if it's just a 1.2 mile walk around my block. We're having a hotter than normal summer which has prompted me to get back to the gym a few days a week. I love the spin bike and elliptical but with the latter have noticed my feet are falling asleep after 20 min. Anyone have any insight on that? I know I need new sneakers so that might just be it.

You might need to get a pair of cycling shoes, not the fancy clip in type necessarily, but bicycle touring shoes that have a stiffer sole than trainers. Or maybe your positioning on the bike and pedals isn't optimal...https://tri-today.com/2021/03/how-to-avoid-numb-feet-and-toes-when-cycling/. Also watch your body positioning on the elliptical, make sure you are standing tall, and check that your feet are fully in contact with the pedals thruought the movement. https://youtube.com/watch?v=YWfswVvOaiI

• goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

All right, troops!
    Whether you're a beginner, in your stride, or a long-time maintainer, we all have things to work on. And if you're anything like me and this last month has been BONKERS, time to get more active on your challenge.

With just LIFE itself basically being unnecessarily hard sometimes and making a nuisance of itself, things are harder to do. And life can just be unpredictable and just plain stressful. Despite....NO...INSPITE OF all this nonsense we have to deal with, we can do this! Dig deep this month and laser focus on your plan basics and figuring ways to be active.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
    Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

And right now PERSISTENCE is the key word for a lot of us. It is for me for sure.

This last month...good grief! Y'all probably noticed I've been hit and miss for posting. Life is trying to kill me right now.

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice or support, you'll find that here.

A daily post could look something like this.

Wed 8/1:
    Logged: :+1:
    Water: :+1:
    Electrolytes: :+1:
    Calorie Goal: :+1:
    Carb Goal: :+1:
    Exercise: HIIT :+1:
    Prelogged next day: :+1:
    7/7

Or maybe if being really active is your focus:
    8/1:
    Activity: :+1: Got up and moved around every hour during the day. Dripping-sweat yard-stomp and angry garden weeding. 13k steps.

Or you can do something less rigid and give us a verbal description of how you are faring in your pursuits. But this is your show. So focus on your basics. Whatever they are. Make this month count! Tear it up! You've got this!

my goal is to workout 5-7 days per week approx 30 plus minutes to burn 500 calories each workout...thats the goal anyway.

need sleep help..i know..turn off screen time...

tendbto wake up the same time in middle of the night.
  • offitgoes
    Options
    Did a great job with foods yesterday. Carbs 48. Nice run 3 mile run with the dog. Today is leg day with weights.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I've yet to manage to finish a full month of one of these, but I took a MFP break and am now ready to really commit again. My goal for August is (1) log daily; (2) under 70 g net carbs; (3) at least 30 g fiber; (4) at least 100 g protein; (5) close my Apple watch rings daily; and (6) work out at least 5x per week.

I semi-started yesterday by logging for the first time in forever. So for this week so far (Monday-Tuesday=2 of 7 days):

(1) 1 of 2
    (2) 0 of 2 (I was around 90 yesterday, but was finishing off some stuff)
    (3) 1 of 2 (at 35 yesterday, no clue for Monday since I didn't log)
    (4) 1 of 2 (probably 2 of 2, but again didn't log on Monday)
    (5) 1 of 2 (this was Monday, not Tuesday)
    (6) 1 of 2 (or 1 of 7 so far) (again, this was Monday, not Tuesday -- did weights)

I am also going to work on some other important things like consistent sleep habits, but am going to focus on diet and exercise to not overwhelm myself with the monthly goals, and it will help me commit to logging again.
  • 200Karen
    200Karen Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @baconslave Thanks for a place to check in

I'm 12 lbs from goal weight and have been for 6 months+
    So no more excuses. Refocusing on my goals

Day 3 of LC Boot Camp:
    Counting calories while prioritizing good carbs and protein
    HIIT walk/jogging 1 hour

Karen

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Gym Monday but nothing Tue/Wed. Nothing happening today either with the heat. But that said the heat is keeping me from eating. I seem to have no appetite so it's been easier to stick to a meal plan. To clarify my foot issue, it's only happening on the elliptical, not on the bike or treadmill. Strange I know LOL. Spinach salad on the menu tonight but need to buy some precooked bacon. Hubby used up what I had on burgers the other night. Way too hot to cook.
  • offitgoes
    Options
    Bad day yesterday. Ate too much and too many carbs. Did manage to do a weight workout. Grateful for a new day, new start!
  • 200Karen
    200Karen Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Karen
    I am 64 yrs young, 5’0” female from Oregon

HW 165
    Starting weight: 131
    UGW 116.0 lbs, BMI 22.7

8/1   131
    8/4 130.2
    This morning the scales were kind 🏄‍♂️
    What did the trick was no late night snacking or sugary treats

Today I'll be visiting the county fair so I'll be counting steps
    Hope to work off today's treats quickly ✅
    Rechecking my weight in 2 days.

Best Wishes Mates,
    💗 Karen

👍 👍 👍 👍
  • baconslave
    Options
    Glad to see veteran and new faces in here!

Yesterday was a planned cheat. I fasted until dinner which was at my best friend's restaurant pick for her b-day. No keto available but that's ok. She was so happy with the dinner. Today is straight back to ketoing on as planned. Got some yummy food on the menu. Gonna get a workout in. Missed it yesterday due to dealing with the on-going Cell Phone saga. On the phone for over an hour between 2 different people, totally killed my workout window. Our cell carrier has not been nice lately since the 5g change and being bought out. They need to train their people. You can't be having every single rep you talk to telling people different things. Hinky nonsense. But we'll soon have full cell service again. I am so dang stressed out over this mess but like I said it's almost over.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Karen!

Yesterday (my day two, but officially day 3), went pretty well, and this challenge motivated me not to snack and to get the few extra cals at the end of the day by walking around the house so as to complete the calorie ring on my watch.

Again, my goal for August is (1) log daily; (2) under 70 g net carbs; (3) at least 30 g fiber; (4) at least 100 g protein; (5) close my Apple watch rings daily; and (6) work out at least 5x per week.

(1) Yes (2 of 3 for the week, and it's only been 2.5 days so far but I am having fun logging again)
    (2) Yes! 48 g net carbs (1 of 3 for the week)
    (3) Yes (didn't log Monday, so 2 of 3 for the week)
    (4) Yes (2 of 3 -- again, because I can't count Monday, not having logged)
    (5) Yes (2 of 3 for the week)
    (6) Yes (2 of 3 for the week and 2/5 of the goal (weights))

I've been having some weird digestive stuff going on, so keeping notes to see if logging will help me identify any triggers too. Also partly why I am lowering carbs again, as that seems to help in general.
  • taylok23
    Options
    8/3-8/4
    I’ve had a couple of good days but needed a bit more protein today than I had. That’s left me with some rumbling in the stomach but the kitchen closes at 8 and I’m going to bed. No evening snacking this week so far and NEAT is up. I’m cranky tonight so hopefully some sleep will snap me out of it!