Shape Shifters Team Chat - AUGUST 2022

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,070 Member
    Good morning Team! Looks to have been a great week for many of us...a few gains, but all fairly small...when you have a smidgen of a gain and can't really put your finger on it...the body is usually trying to find balance. Do something unexpected, outside of your normal pattern...an extra walk, some extra exercise, perhaps break or pause an unhealthy habit...something to shake your tiny rut loose so you can start losing again...I hope everyone is enjoying a little cooler weather this weekend like we are in Virginia...it's so nice to be able to go outside, breathe and enjoy a nice breeze! Enjoy your weekend!

If anyone has an idea or request for next week's Group Challenge, let me know...I'm thinking about it to get ready to start tomorrow. Might just do a "shake things up" week...let me know your thoughts!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    edited August 2022
    Nice losses @bassclef, @Nataliewr0403 and @nancyinmo !! Great job this week! Walk tall today! :smile:
    Jessica
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,322 Member
    @izzyred9400 - I’ve had times when the scale didn’t move for two months or more. It was an especially long plateau after entering the normal BMI range for my height, which is about 140 at 5’3” (I’m just under 5’4”). Hitting the normal range for my BMI was my most satisfying milestone!

My goal is to stay at the mid-range of the BMI for my height, which is a little over 121 pounds, but 125 seems more realistic (slightly over the mid-range).

I lost the final 10 pounds to reach the high end of my maintenance range (120-130), but it took at least five months. Since the overall trajectory was still going down, and I knew progress would get slower as I got closer to my goal, I tried to remind myself that it was a good sign. Each pound left to lose was a higher percentage of my overall body weight, so the slower rate of loss was something to celebrate!? Reframing my self talk helped sometimes but it was still difficult not to feel discouraged.

I also thought I might be at my lowest weight. So, I reminded myself that I still needed to figure out maintenance. Most people regain all the weight they lost within a year so I decided to focus on not gaining weight instead of losing weight. It’s only a subtle shift in thinking but it helped me. The biggest mindshift was recognizing that I need to sustain these nutrition and exercise changes for a lifetime. It’s not a short-term adjustment in the end, so I’m currently trying to figure out how to incorporate positive habits I can live with forever.

In July 2021, I weighed 127 pounds, and I gave myself five months to achieve my ultimate goal of 125 by the beginning of 2022. In the end, my lowest weight was 121 last September (2021). I lost the final pounds during the summer when I’m more active. It also helps me to substitute natural sugars like fruit or apple sauce instead of processed sweets when I snack. So, cutting snacks - or at least substituting higher calorie snacks for healthier options - and exercising a little more made the difference for me.

I’m still struggling to maintain without gaining. My problem is always slight, incremental gains that add up over time. Just 100 or 200 calories make a difference in the course of a year! Best wishes to others trying to ‘crack the code’ overcoming plateaus and maintaining weight after achieving your nutrition and exercise goals.

Here’s an article that might help anyone experiencing a plateau: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss-plateau/art-20044615
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Congratulations on the great progress (@nancyinmo, @bassclef, @mulecanter, @bearchested, @ewilhelm, etc.) and achieving new milestones (@Nataliewr0403 and @pedal_power)! Excellent job with all the steps logged by our team, too!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
  • msashleybing
    msashleybing Posts: 40 Member
    @Yukie_OP I like it! I got their Sonic collection. I've only tried the Sour Power, but it’s good. It takes like the sour punch straws.

Step Goal: 6000
    8/11 - 6,116
    8/12 - 3,661 😔

I took a break from my evening work out last night. But I’m excited for weigh in tomorrow.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited August 2022
    Saturday Sunday Group

Have you had a chance to reflect on the past week or month to find out what is working or not working well for you?

This week I learned that the calcium chews I bought are making a big difference for me! 🎉 I take one caramel flavored chew in the morning with my breakfast coffee and one at night after dinner. They are 15 calories each and feel like a little treat. Before incorporating the calcium supplement, I was getting about 25-30% of the daily recommendation. I started paying attention to this part of my MFP nutrition report after my DEXA bone density scan showed mild osteopenia.

My doctor recommended more Vitamin D, calcium, and weight bearing exercises. I already incorporate lots of body weight exercises a few times a week - and spend a short time in the sun everyday- so I tried to increase my Vitamin D by adding a milk to my coffee and my sister suggested the calcium chews. I haven’t done too well building the habit of drinking more vitamin D fortified milk but the calcium chews have been a game changer. I now get 90-100% of the daily amount recommended by MFP.

Another successful change I made this month was setting my daily calorie target back to 1200. When I increased the goal setting to ‘maintenance,” MFP raised my calorie target to somewhere between 1400-1500 calories and I noticed that I regularly exceeded that amount by about 200-300 calories. So, now I stay within maintenance range when I exceed my calorie target. It’s so strange that I can ‘trick’ myself this way, which has something to do with the fact that I eat back my exercise calories, but it seems to be working better. The only problem is that resetting my goal caused me to lose all my progress history. Oh well, it’s still better than regaining all the weight I lost!

I apologize that I didn’t have much time to promote the usual daily themes this past week, but feel free to update the team on these topics anytime. This list was created based on our informal poll asking what motivates Shape Shifter team members.

Sunday: Sustainable habit-building
    Monday: Motivational quotes, personal mottos, or images
    Tuesday: Tracking reflections & success tips
    Wednesday: Wellness tips (sleep, self-care)
    Thursday: Thirst-quenching ideas for water intake, etc.
    Friday: Feel good success stories (big/small, NSV)
    Saturday: Study group to share what we’re learning
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    leni1us
    Friday
    PW 160.4
    CW 159.1

Steps
    8/12 - 6,671
  • ac204
    ac204 Posts: 147 Member
    AC204
    Friday
    PW: 193.2
    CW: 194.4

Happy Saturday Shape Shifters! Hope you are all doing well! Although my weight is up this week and has been hovering within 2 lbs for awhile, I am hopeful I will get back on track soon! Today is the last class in my coaching program. I still have a few hours to complete before receiving my certification but will receive next month :smile: This last push has been especially tough because at the same time my boss is retiring and her responsibilities are transitioning to me. When I'm busy and stressed, unfortunately my wellness habits are still the first areas of my life that suffer, reminding me I still have a long journey to better health. I'll be leaving for a vacation to Colorado next week. I will take some time during vacation to reflect on past few months with the objective of regaining my momentum with my weight-loss journey. Although I haven't been good at checking in here, I am truly grateful to this team! In the past, I would have completely fallen off the wagon when things become challenging, but this community has helped me stay more accountable to this journey and not completely fall of the wagon! Thank you!

@jessicakrall8 I'll miss next week's weigh-in due to vacation but I'll be back for the following week's weigh-in. And, a special thank you for all your reminders and support!
  • jessicakrall8
    The August Week 3 Group Challenge is posted and ready to begin tomorrow, Sunday, Aug 14th. I hope you'll join us for "DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!" Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10871470/august-week-3-group-challenge-do-something-different/p1?new=1

Hope to see you there!
    Jessica :blush:
  • jessicakrall8
    Yukie_OP wrote: »
    Yukie_OP Saturday weigh-in
    PW: 137
    CW: 134

Very nice loss @Yukie_OP !! WTG! :smile:
    Jess
  • jessicakrall8
    So what's everyone up to tonight? I feel like I should wash a load of clothes, but can't seem to talk myself into more housework! LOL I want to go out, take a drive and do something, but I'm afraid I'll eat again and/or spend money I need to save...so I'm going to read and behave. Anyone else have talks with themselves like that?! HA!

No matter what you're doing, I hope you're having a lovely evening!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    rdy7efiyjkcw.jpg

Missing Weigh ins for the week (incl today):
    @Jax_Grim x2
    @gofishs x3
    @JanieD82
    @Motiv8tedMom x3
    @StacyAru x2
    @CasandraW
    @Valentina_99v x2
    @Tiguan26
    @kateineu

Stats begin early Sunday morning, so please report in today!
    Thanks!
    Jessica
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 524 Member
    CasandraW
    Saturday weigh in
    PW 230.2
    CW 235

🤷‍♀️ I’ll see what happens next week
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,780 Member
    Good evening everyone. Hope you are all having a good weekend. Today was my day off BUT work had a no call no show so I worked for awhile., and wprk again tomorrow. Im annoyed with all these people not showing up, ugh. Why is that so common lately, ugh. This is my last week working full time at that job, school starts the 22nd so I go back to working 6 days a week :(
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,780 Member
    8/13-2,473

My fitbit died early in the morning and I was still out of town so I didnt get it charged until maybe 5pm
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,536 Member
    Steps
    Aug 9: 14.706
    Aug 10: 14.806
    Aug 11: 10.740
    Aug 12: 15.056
    Aug 13: 14.433
    Good morning Shape Shifters. I am sorry I have been so quiet here. We are currently in the middle of a heatwave and I just feel miserable. I am already dreaming of autumn and wind and rain; summer sucks. I have not been doing anything besides some house work. Getting my steps in has been a challenge. I have to nap every day because of my headaches so it's not been going great. The temps should slowly start to drop tomorrow, but we probably wont get rain until Wednesday. Happy Sunday everyone <3
  • kateineu
    kateineu Posts: 15 Member
    Kateineu
    Saturdays
    PW 177 lbs
    CW 176.8 lbs
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,204 Member
    n1bx52w74edw.png

4iuhmv22ek1j.png
    jzuxe5t2olv3.png

Leaderboardgraphic.png