Shape Shifters Team Chat - SEPTEMBER 2022

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,323 Member
    So close to getting that T-shirt @jessicakrall8 😂

Congratulations on getting through the toughest part. You’ll be enjoying your new kitchen soon!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Yukie_OP wrote: »
    Yukie_OP -
    … Been feeling a slump these past 2 days. Work is getting back to normal levels (slightly less busy), but I just feel very tired and overall un-motivated (with everything: work life/home life/personal goals). I'm thinking it may be burnout and I might need to take a break to re-charge.

If you guys have any thoughts/input on how you re-charge after periods of high output followed by lackadaisicalness (disinterest/apathy) I'd love to hear it.

I’ve been feeling that way a bit @Yukie_OP but it’s been awhile since I had a period of high output. I think giving yourself a certain period to rest/ recover can help, followed by a little change of scenery or visit with an old friend. I’m looking forward to other responses so I can benefit from your question, too. I hope you get out of your funk soon!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,181 Member
    So close to getting that T-shirt @jessicakrall8 😂

Congratulations on getting through the toughest part. You’ll be enjoying your new kitchen soon!

@jessicakrall8, what's the first thing you're going to cook or bake in your new kitchen?
    Whatever it is, I bet you'll be smiling while you're cooking/baking it!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    Hi SS... Another new member joining your amazing team ....Please welcome @alleykat69 :)
  • KHill875
    KHill875 Posts: 156 Member
    My steps
    9/24 4,881
    9/25 7,798
    9/26 9,184
    @angemarie28 I hope you get more appreciation in your new job.It must be frustrating after you have worked so hard in your present one.I'm sure you & your family will feel better when you have more time for YOU .
    @KHill875 well done in increasing your steps,I hope you be encouraged by a loss on the scales.I find walking is great for my mental health,do you feel the same benefits?

I wish it was relaxing and enjoyable, but I am walking with a 3 and 6 year old to school and back home. It is more stress inducing than anything else.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,558 Member
    Steps
    26 Sep: 14.793
    27 Sep: 15.468
    Good morning Shape Shifters. I finished another puzzle yesterday. Doing jigsaws is almost like a diet for me; I just forget to eat! I realised how crappy I was feeling around 17:00 when the puzzle was done, and then I was like "oh, I only ate some crackers and chocolate today". So that was pretty stupid. It was fine after I had some food, but it is something I need to keep in mind. Because I got some more money than expected this month, I bought some new bird food, a christmas house and a new toy for Tinus, two puzzles and a Renpho scale. The scale was planned a while back already. I don't think I can hate myself more than I currently do already, but I am still scared out of my mind to step on it Saturday morning. I know it's going to be really bad. But I feel like once I get that out of the way, I can move on and it isn't like a black cloud hanging over me. In this case I think knowledge is better than ignorance. Happy Wednesday everyone <3

lkqbp5nsb0iz.jpg
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,262 Member
    Current Maintenance Weigh In

Stayed the same - keeping my body moving. But my emotions are getting the best of me now that my barre studio is closing on Thursday and I won't see anyone as that was my outings for the week and I won't have that face to face contact
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,784 Member
    @Pupowl I love that puzzle. I love building puzzles but I dont have much room for puzzle building. I think I am going to buy a puzzle board that I can just slide under the couch when Im not working on it.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,784 Member
    @jessicakrall8 i legit completely forgot it was Wednesday this morning so I didn't weight in, I will tomorrow, so sorry. I blame it on my child and my father. I stayed up late trying to help my oldest write an essay, he had his outline done and was just struggling to turn it into paragraphs. Then my dad called right as I got into bed, because my mom and I like to go to bed early, but my dad and brothers all stay up til midnight and assume everyone else does as well, ugh, lol.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,558 Member
    edited September 2022
    @angmarie28
    It was a really fun one to make! I am lucky that I have the space to leave my puzzles out. But a foam board or something would work well too. Hope you can figure something out; it is so relaxing to do.
  • alleykat69
    alleykat69 Posts: 277 Member
    Hello everyone. I'm here for the October challenge. Looking forward to getting back on track with my weight loss. I went from 255 to 169 back up to 200 due to medication. I'm at 188.9 as of today. Looking ti get down to 150. Hopefully by summer. Fingers crossed.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,102 Member
    qnx88h1z433h.jpg
    Welcome to the team @alleykat69 and @terrimccrery or @terrilins (which is correct??) !! We're glad you found us!!! Please take a moment to introduce yourselves so we can all get to know you, if you haven't done so already. Also, I'd recommend going back to pg 1 to read our FAQ file which will answer many of your questions.

If you can't find the answer there, please post about it and myself or one of the team will get back to you.

Hope you find this group to be as inspirational and caring as I have in the years I've been here. On behalf of the team and our two motivators @angmarie28 and @PatriceFitnessPal, again, WELCOME! Looking forward to hearing more from you soon!
    Jessica, your crazy Captain! :blush:
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited September 2022
    @frankwbrown I know what you mean...no idea what I'll cook first...but I'm sure I'll do a few veggies...been missing those a lot! Maybe a casserole...gotta learn how to use this stove first. They look so new and shiny! Wanna get in there and start cleaning! LOL

@pupowl LOVE that newest puzzle pic with all the fans...SO beautiful! I love when you share your pics...you know I'm your biggest fan!

Welcome newbies...please read and soak up as much as you can...can't wait to see what you all accomplish this month!

@angmarie28 No worries at all, but thanks for letting me know. I'll watch for your post.

Jessica
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 526 Member
    Yukie_OP wrote: »
    Yukie_OP - Checking-in with steps update (daily goal 6k):
    9/19 - 8,242
    9/20 - 9,535
    9/21 - 9,205
    9/22 - 10,896
    9/23 - 5,858
    9/24 - 10,068
    9/25 - 6,989
    9/26 - 5,649

* didn't realize it had been so long since updating my steps.

Been feeling a slump these past 2 days. Work is getting back to normal levels (slightly less busy), but I just feel very tired and overall un-motivated (with everything: work life/home life/personal goals). I'm thinking it may be burnout and I might need to take a break to re-charge.

If you guys have any thoughts/input on how you re-charge after periods of high output followed by lackadaisicalness (disinterest/apathy) I'd love to hear it.

I meant to respond to you sooner. I've been witness to so many therapy sessions over the years and have consistently heard the same message. "Fake it till you make it" essentially you allow yourself some grace and rest. Acknowledge that you were super busy, that you were working really hard and are tired. Then you force yourself through the actions and hope the motivation from feelings of success and accomplishment take over so it becomes easier.

I hope you feel better soon, it's not a pleasant place to be.
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 526 Member
    edited September 2022
    @Pupowl your comments about fear of the scale and self hatred really resonate with me. I hope you find peace and self love.
    I find I'm stuck in cycle of self sabotage. It has improved to the point that I am maintaining my weight instead of constantly regaining everything just to loose it again. But I'm stuck in maintenance. I have to ask myself, what am I afraid of? What's holding me back? I know what to do, I know I need to stick with it, make small changes, celebrate the little victories. So why am I fighting myself?
    If anyone has any advise I'd love to hear it.
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 268 Member
    @Pupowl - Love the puzzle! I've always loved Japanese art - the colors and designs in the puzzle are a delight to see, thanks for sharing.

@CassandraW - Thanks for the input, i have heard of that before "fake it till you make it", I think the problem is/was, i had been pushing and faking it/checking off all the boxes, without giving myself any sort of break. Like @PatriceFitnessPal, mentioned a period of rest/recovery is likely needed....

Interestingly, enough I got a major sinus headache later that day and left work early to rest at home, then woke up next day with congestion -- so either the slump was due to a lack of energy from my body trying to keep these cold-like symptoms at bay and/or my body is forcing me to slow down by manifesting the overload/stress into physical symptoms.

I think my lesson is: pushing myself is good and necessary for growth, but i also have limitations, and should listen to my body.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited September 2022
    Here’s my maintenance report for the week:

Name: PatriceFitnessPal
    Weigh-in day: Thursday
    PW: 127.9
    CW: 127.5

SW: 168
    LTD: 40.5 pounds

My target range is 120-130 pounds and I’m working on building muscle, improving my flexibility, and strengthening my balance. I hope we all have a week we can feel proud of— Best wishes, Shape Shifters (and I hope you are all safe during this season of fierce hurricanes!)

• PatriceFitnessPal
    edited September 2022
    @Yukie_OP - Whenever I finished an intense semester at school or a big work project, I often got sick. So, I would finally get a vacation from school work, teaching, or other work but need a few days to recover first. I definitely think my body was telling me to rest. I’m not good at admitting when I’m in over my head and should ask for help. I’m trying to get better at anticipating when work or life might get too overwhelming so I can work with others to develop a plan forward; but, in the past, I’d get a migraine or the stress would manifest some other way in my body until I was forced to limit other tasks. I’m getting better at prevention but I have to monitor myself.

Some of my projects (e.g., home decluttering, downsizing and business development, website) are taking longer than I’d like, but I feel more consistent and balanced when I set more realistic goals. I think it’s similar to weight loss for me. As @CassandraW noted, a slower timeline for weight loss can be frustrating in the short-term term but if we can incorporate permanent habits and a new mindset, the results will be more sustainable.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited September 2022
    @CassandraW - I think you are definitely on the right track with your reflection about the way we limit ourselves. Self-criticism does us no good. Of course, I’m not going to beat myself up when self-criticism sneaks into my head because self-criticism about self-criticism is just too ironic 🤣😂🤣. That’s going too far!

I remember a point when I was at my highest weight and felt so uncomfortable in my clothes, didn’t want to go out and meet people, etc. I recognized the negative cycle and finally admitted to myself that I wasn’t going to be able to undo years of incremental weight gain overnight. I also realized that hating my body in the meantime would also hold me back so I tried to really concentrate on all the positive ways my body helped me.

It may sound silly but I would consciously focus on gratitude when my body took me where I wanted to go, allowed me to see and smell beautiful flowers, use food as fuel to work, etc. As I appreciated my body more, I thought about eating better food to fuel it more effectively — to show the same ‘kindness’ I was receiving. The last couple of days, I’ve been trying to cut down on processed foods using a similar approach. If I crave something sweet, why not reach for fruit instead of something processed? I’m still working on this but as I like to say at work: Practice makes …. better!

Another area I’m working on is finances. Why is it sooo difficult for me to send invoices? Why do I hedge on charging all the hours I work on a project? Why don’t I think I deserve to be paid as much as others charge? I’m flipping those questions and practicing new scripts. Practice makes better!!

Hang in there, everyone and let’s talk nicely to ourselves and others! 😉
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Pupowl wrote: »
    Steps
    …I finished another puzzle yesterday. Doing jigsaws is almost like a diet for me; I just forget to eat!!

lkqbp5nsb0iz.jpg

When I get consumed by an activity, I can forget to eat or feel annoyed that I need to take a break. The problem for me is when I’m trying to avoid an activity and snacking becomes my vehicle for procrastinating! Keeping a steady blood sugar level is important for me because I can become hypoglycemic.

The puzzle is gorgeous and reminds me of Japan, where I lived for six years and still have connections through family, friends, and my husband’s work. I liked the colors in the bird puzzle, too. Thanks for sharing the photos!
This discussion has been closed.