December Damage Control

Options

Replies

• zenobia9777
    zenobia9777 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone the best for this holiday season.

Due to an unexpected family event, I will not be up to posting for a while. I hope someone else will take over the January thread.

It's been a privilege to be with you on your journey. My best wishes!

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim - I knew I'd lost a good amount on pounds and inches, but was a little surprised by exactly how much it was.
    @k8richly - the loss was over an eight week weight loss challenge. I think since we had to turn in our food diary every day it kept me from a lot of snacking or overeating. It was really a great incentive to stick to my plan. Cheese is very hard to give up; I've recently gone (mostly) vegan, but still occasionally eat something with cheese. Best of luck in your new position, sounds like the change will be less stressful than your current position, and only temporary.
    @zenobia9777 - I hope you have the very best holidays as well. We'll take care of the January thread. Take good care of yourself.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,903 Member
    Options
    The weekend was fine. not too much to do, a little shopping, that's about it
    Worked out each day.

No to thrilled about the forecast for thursday - Saturday. Looks like we will be getting fairly cool temps (which Memphis isn't really used to having). Being in the teens a few days. hoping we don't get any snow or ice.

curious, what is Thursdays/Friday/Sat forecast where you live?
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    i really wish i didn't like sugar.
    I've been contemplating making a list of foods I should remove from my food plans.

this is what should remove / avoid always : because I have zero control afterwards
    SUGAR
    peanut butter
    syrup
    candy
    bars
    Ice cream
    Cool whip
    oreos

here is a have some MAYBE
    1 cookie
    1 piece of dessert
    1 slc bread/toast
    1 svg oatmeal
    chips
    Ice cream

And my have whenever list
    fruits
    veggies
    popcorn
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    @zenobia9777: we will take care of January, don't worry.
    @k8richly: I feel you, I also need to snap out of it, but somehow can't. I feel like both my brain and my body are holding a STRIKE post. I just could spend a few days just in bed instead of worrying about the days to come. To make things worse, our oven/microwave combi just died yesterday, which leaves me sorting out eating options differently (and way more time consuming). For example: I'm just used to pop my oatmeal with milk 2 minutes in the microwave while in the shower. No warming up my cherrystone pillow before going to bed... boy do I miss my it ! Luckily, a new one will be delivered on Friday. HOPEFULLY that will work out, as my whole family is here on Saturday for Xmas eve, where I'll have to feed 14 people.
    @SherryRueter : the rest of the week our temps will go up a bit, so no more freezing, but a lot of rain is predicted. Not really christmas weather unfortunately.

Anyways, onwards we go... almost a new year to start afresh !
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    I didn't want to overeat yesterday but, the urge to have sweets was killing me inside so I had some(a lot of) popcorn... with butter and sugar on it. It was amazing. Gave me a great dopamine rush I suppose. and then I felt guilty all night and it damaged my sleep as well.

Compare that to last week when I chose to say NO to the urge and slept well, woke up refreshed and ready for the day.

Why do we constantly repeat that cycle? Is it because we don't choose to learn from it ?

I need to keep mindful that when I give into my urges, that It doesnt' work out well for me.
    The URGE and sitting through it would be much easier than beating myself up inside.

Workout today 1hr. Total body strength trianing including push ups with Rows. Ground to overhead thrusts and stuff like that. Ended my session with some Yoga Flow. and will work on bringing the positive energy into my day today.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    @zenobia9777 We’re here if and when you need us. Take care of yourself.

@SherryRueter - it will be colder than normal here in eastern NC but in the 60s later this week!

Not sure what happened. I had the very worst two days in like years. Went downhill after hubby drove into the Burger King drive through on the way down to my parents. And that was it - whopper, fries, crap. Then arrived home when baked goods sent as gifts were all over my parents’ table - molasses cookies, lemon crème cake, chips, ice cream - I. Just. Couldn’t. Stop. I think it may be because of some anxiety/stress at retuning to my parents home and the elder care duties beginning again.

Who knows - but I knew better. Knew I would feel like crap after. Knew I’d feel guilty and disappointment - and still did it. And I wasn’t depriving myself to the point of bingeing.

We have to help each other get it together! 😫💪💪. Retuned to normal yesterday - down two pounds today. I’m stronger than this.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    Puppy won't be until this spring at the earliest - I plan on purchasing him with my annual bonus, which generally pays out in February. So from there, it's waiting for the right litter to come along with a male who tests well for what I'm wanting, and depending on where I am on the list.

He'll definitely keep me busy though, and plenty of exercise - I enjoy having an exercise buddy though, makes it easier!

Work stuff crazy but good, excited to keep the momentum I've been building the past year into the new year with some real "manifestation" starting to show up. Grind will keep going, but I'm excited to see things finally start to compound a bit after this past year.

Starting "my" 75 Hard on Jan 2, so in the meantime have been easing back into a few more habits in preparation for the program. Still trying to determine the limitations I want to put on diet - I know it will be low(er) carb, but trying to decide if I do a strict daily limit, weekly limit, range....have a couple weeks to figure it out though.

Currently also reading "The Confident Mind" - trying to develop a few more tools to overcome that inner critic I have never really learned to manage like I should (some of that is personality, most of it is how I was raised).

Weekend was spent at a motorcycle training academy, taking their course as a student (I'm looking to become an instructor). It was an overall good experience, some of it was frustrating for me as a rider though. Only issue is that it was fairly chilly (27-48 degrees) and we were outside all day, and I seriously irritated my sinuses, and now seem to have a bit of a sinus infection - more annoying than anything. Forgot my tylenol or ibruprofen this morning though so that's making the snottiness even worse sitting here at the office (one of two days a month I have to come in) - UGH.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @SherryRueter - we're going to have rain Thurs and Fri, then very cold (for South Carolina weather) Sat and Sun.
    I'm lucky I don't have a huge sweet tooth, but there are a couple of salty foods that I can easily binge on, mainly Fritos. When I get a strong urge for something I know is bad for my health, I try to find something to do to both keep my hands busy and get my mind on something new. But, sometimes the urge just wins and I give in to it and, when that happens, I try to just accept it rather than beat myself up over it.
    @Antiopelle - what bad timing for your oven/microwave to break! How on earth do you cook a meal for 14 people in a microwave sized oven!!???!!
    @CeeBeeSlim - I miss the holiday office parties, but I sure don't miss the temptation of all of the treats vendors would send us. Having a bunch of cookies, cakes, etc. around is tough to ignore. So glad you were able to work through it and get down 2 pounds!
    @HoneyBadger302 - Good luck with your 75 hard Challenge. I'm not sure I could stick to something that rigid, but I imagine that once you've completed it, you'll have a huge sense of accomplishment. How long of a course do you have to take to become a motorcycle instructor?
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69: what we have always done previous years is having the turkey in the bbq outside, and a deep tray of roasted veggies in the oven; potato croquettes in the deep fryer and then sauces (cranberry and gravy) and sides (turnip puree, brussels sprouts) on the stove. The biggest use of the oven is mainly for the appetizers. It needs a bit of planning and I'm starting on the prep tomorrow.

As for the healthy habits: they are kinda out of the window, and it clear I'm not the only one struggling this time of year. As from today, I'll restart with reading the Beck book, this has always helped getting through a bad spell of gaining. I don't think it works for everyone, but certainly for me: https://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solution-Train-Person/dp/0848732758.

Come on ladies, still 10 days to go before year end. 10 days we can choose to do it right or at least do some damage control, instead of letting it all go. We can do this !

• Antiopelle
    edited December 2022
    Options
    i really wish i didn't like sugar.
    I've been contemplating making a list of foods I should remove from my food plans.

this is what should remove / avoid always : because I have zero control afterwards
    SUGAR
    peanut butter
    syrup
    candy
    bars
    Ice cream
    Cool whip
    oreos

here is a have some MAYBE
    1 cookie
    1 piece of dessert
    1 slc bread/toast
    1 svg oatmeal
    chips
    Ice cream

And my have whenever list
    fruits
    veggies
    popcorn

why are some items under "remove" and under "maybe" ? I see what you did here girl ! :wink:
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    @Antiopelle I am pretty sure I should eliminate ice cream, but I really don't want to. I want to be able to have it as an option.
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Oh guys, you crack me up. Burger king drivethrus and christmas cookies are simply bumps in the long road guys. Let's keep our eyes on the prize! (So I say while I munch on my world famous sweet and salty xmas nuts).

Turkey in a BBQ? That's a new one to me, but why the heck not!

I only have 7 people for Christmas dinner this year and i am keeping it simple - turkey, carrots, peas, potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce. And some vegetarian option. And my mother inlaw brings dessert (usually pie which, for some weird reason im not crazy about, thank goodness. Her apple pie is kind of tasteless and the sugar pie is too sweet - these are good things for my diet!) Easy dinner but I will still be glad when it's done, kitchen is clean and I'm boiling the bone stock on the stove.

I made an effort to get back to my bootcamp this week. But of course i overdid it and now I'm so sore that I don't feel like moving again. Dumb dumb dumb. But it felt good kicking my butt! Sort of.

We have rain coming and then a "flash freeze" warning for friday followed by a snow storm for Saturday. They are telling everyone to stay home as this is the worst possible combo - frozen slippery roads covered with snow. But big snowstorms aren't unusual where I live in Canada so we are equipped. If all my Christmas shopping was done (which it's not) this would be no big deal. I'm happy to hunker down and relax at home!
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    Workout today was Legs. Really wasnt looking forward to it, but once I get started, it goes pretty smooth. It really burns a TON of calories.

Working wiht some canned pumpkin, added a little protein pwdr to it and cinnamon and a little vanilla. made a delish "pudding". Used it on my engish muffins this morning. YUMMMMY.

Today is about the last day of sunshine here for a few days as that polar vortex moves into the upper mid west. Tomorrows high is 53 but, cloudy. Today we have sunshine. Im excited to go out for a walk.

Totally agree @Antiopelle we have 10 days...lets end the year strong!
    I have to bake cookies yet. Im still trying to decide if I do the "old fashoin" recipe from my mother in law, or if I do a healthier, more protein version from a trainer's cookbook that I have (Breanne Freeman, sweet treats). Decisions decisions.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    GW: 128-135 ish (TBD)

CW:
    12/8/22: 154.4
    12/14/22: 152.8
    12/21/22: 153.2

Had 1 low weight day, otherwise mostly seem to be very slowly dropping, but almost imperceptibly at this point (like 1-2 lb/month). Not stressing over that though, once I start "my 75" that won't be an issue.

Tried out the elliptical last night - oh boy, my cardio is embarrassingly awful. I knew it was bad, but that was just - wrong lol. I've got some work in front of me for sure! Despite huffing and puffing my heart rate doesn't get to crazy though, so just a matter of my lack of conditioning here the past - well, too long.

@SparkSpringtime69 the instructor training can take up to a year, kinda depends on the person. They had one guy who completed it in 3 months. Once you're actually "training" (rather than still in the "interview" process like I am) you get paid, just not as much as a full fledged instructor. I'm still debating on the whole thing though, kinda want to give my contract gig some time to get rolling before I decide one way or the other.

• SparkSpringtime69
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Happy winter solstice!! But don't worry, spring will be here before we know it B)
    @Antiopelle - sounds like a delicious feast! I've never heard of BBQ-ing a full bird, sounds interesting.
    @k8richly - you're right about bumps in the road. And there's no reason we can't give ourselves a few small treats over the holidays, just have to keep the portions under control.
    @SherryRueter - I'm making a few different cookies, and I'm going with the old family recipes on two of them - butter, sugar, etc., LOL. The other one is a keto-friendly cookie I found online. My sister, who's been following a keto diet, is coming over for a quick brunch and to open gifts, then she has to head back to her place because her son and his family are coming from GA. I'm going to give her a big container of cookies to take back to her place for the kids. The keto cookies are pistachio cookies, they look tasty and easy to make https://youtube.com/watch?v=TqQhcDMXVjc.
    @HoneyBadger302 - sounds like a fun class, I hope it works out for you either way you decide to go.
  • SherryRueter
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Accountability: Workout = LiiftMORE (beachbody) Week 2 : Back and Triceps then some core

OMG after leg day yesterday my back was in SO much pain (lower). So deciding to do back work this morning was a little worisome, but, I thought it may help warm up the muscles and all. I think it did! I didn't do dead lifts, I did rows and banded Pull downs (close grip, reverse grip & standard grip). The video didn't have tricep dips in it (sad face) .... but It did have core work. Such an awesome workout! So glad i Didn't do the elliptical!

[/color]

In othe rnews... Happy winter Solstice! Raining here in memphis today.
    @k8Richly Definitely just a few bumps in the road.

Food for thought: Its not the days inbetween Dec 23 and January 2 that we should worry about. its the days between jan 2. and Dec 23 that cause us more issues!

@sparkspringtime69 - THANK YOU for the recipe link! YUM... I'll probably do a mixture also. I cannot NOT make Grandma's Sugar cookies. It would feel like a sin. LOL

@honeybadger302 CONGRATS on losing weight in DECEMBER!!! WOOHOOO!!! GO Girl!

• CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    @k8richly. You’re so right. Bumps in the road. I wonder if being “not that heavy” makes me hyper-conscious of the “little” things. Truth is to a person -no one gets why I even have a fitness goal - being small, fit, tone, and active.

@SparkSpringtime69 - Thanks for the recipe. Sounds delish!

@SherryRueter - bingo on that reminder to not worry so much about the holidays. Off to START Christmas shopping! Yes - I’m one of those…😡
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    I wonder if being “not that heavy” makes me hyper-conscious of the “little” things. Truth is to a person -no one gets why I even have a fitness goal - being small, fit, tone, and active.

@CeeBeeSlim OMG..me too.... Is it because I am about my perfect weight that I hyperfocus on the small things?
    and YES.... NO one... (very few) understand why I have a fitness goal, weight goal, etc because I am small, fit, tone, active. I hesitate in most groups to say my height and weight or give a photo because I am SOOOOO used to being given the advice "Oh, you dont need to . ___________". YES, YES. YES.
    That is what I'm saying to you! I Get YOU. I am YOU. Hyperfocused because I don't want any of it to slip away. hyper focused . Just a few bumps and.... Worry more about Jan2 - Dec 25th.
    (as I sit here having a couple snickers mini's)
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I have a couple of busy days coming up (I'm sure you all do as well), so I'm going to say it now:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all who celebrate
    ue8gznlj36px.png

And if you don't celebrate Xmas, then I wish for you a wonderful balanced and bright weekend!!