Downsizers Team Chat - JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Slimmersixties
    Slimmersixties Posts: 798 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    First week of January, got to be the easiest week of the year for the team motivator! We can do this!
    vbzskz307orf.jpg
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Started off the New Year by upping my running to 35 minutes and will be at 40 minutes by the end of the month. Currently running around 6km a day 3 days on, 1 day off. Had a couple days where I ate all my exercise calories back plus a few more. The holidays were fun but it's time to finish what I started. First 5km race is in 3 months.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,513 Member
    Options
    @rwillems
    Good to hear you are recovering. What goals did you come up with for the month/year?

@Jpedno
    Awesome steps from your hiking day. How long of a hike do you usually go for? Great words of wisdom!

@Slimmersixties
    Sounds like you hav3 a vision foe the next few months. You are inspiring especially to those of us in our late 50’s and early sixties.

@docbeauty1
    Welcome! I like to swim also. Being patient with ourselves is very important to remember. Congrats on the loss!

@363days
    Put it behind you and start fresh. New month/year means we have a clean slate.

@Tessita_07
    Welcome! Great goals.

@rwood566
    Sorry about the leak. Do you have a landlord tenants board to protect you from being evicted for a problem the landlord didn’t take care of? Good luck dealing with the insurance. I hope it’s a simple process.

@JaysFan82
    Great job on the running.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps: 4,248
    Sleep:✔️
    Log food: ✔️
    Exercise:

I am heading to the pool soon. Tried to make scalloped potatoes to go with our ham last night and it was an epic fail. I got caught twice in the last few days not reading my labels correctly. I had some popcorn last night. It said 160 calories for one container. The popcorn was not labeled with the total grams in the bag. I checked again this morning and it should have read 160 calories per serving (35grams) Thankfully, I didn’t eat a lot. So this week I am going to be very careful when reading the label.

Have a great Monday!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Congratulations to our top three for weight loss!

Week 5
    @rwillems
    @IP2021
    @aactuallyaash

December
    @JaysFan82
    @IP2021
    @Maesneuadd

• Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018
    Hiking... I am on a journey to up my miles. In 2022 I just did short ones, 2 miles or so generally. A few days ago I did about a 5 mile hike. There are some really cool long hikes nearby that I want to accomplish that are 13-14 mile hikes starting at elevation and with big elevation gains - up and down some mountains. Eventually I would like to do the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim Hike - maybe 2024.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,904 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    CONGRATS to @rwillems, @IP2021 and @aactuallyaash for being our top 3 weight loss losers for December Week 5 ... Also congrats to @Jaysfan82, @IP2021 and @Maesneuadd for being our top 3 weight loss losers for December ...Great job all :)
  • 363days
    363days Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Let’s get to know each other!

1. Tell us a little about yourself? Where are you from? What are some of your hobbies? Etc. My permanent residence is in Oklahoma and I am currently living in Colorado where I am a caregiver for a family member who is traveling for chemo. Our schedule is very erratic and it is difficult to commit to exercise and have consistency in eating habits. I am volunteering at a local animal shelter and really enjoying this. I brought my dog with me and she loves the snow! I'm also a grandmother to a 1 year old and a 5 year old in Oklahoma. I bought a small travel trailer this year and can't wait to put more miles on it. I love hiking and have an electric bike - such fun.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? I have been overweight for 20 years and I want to look like I feel (as an active person). I also want less wear and tear on my joints.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? I am binge eater - I'm trying to not let myself get too hungry, I think this is a trigger. Also, I'm trying not to feed my emotions.

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb calories

5. What is your favourite way to workout? hiking, yoga, just started Hiit work-pout

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year? To be gentle on myself and not make it "all or nothing". Lose 20 pounds

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions? I find it so encouraging to read others posts about their journey.

8. Share some words of wisdom with your teammates. Be nice to yourself.

• Running4Bipolar
    Running4Bipolar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    Started off the New Year by upping my running to 35 minutes and will be at 40 minutes by the end of the month. Currently running around 6km a day 3 days on, 1 day off. Had a couple days where I ate all my exercise calories back plus a few more. The holidays were fun but it's time to finish what I started. First 5km race is in 3 months.
    JaysFan82 wrote: »

This is awesome. You’ve got this. How long have you been running for? I have been running since 2021. This year working towards running my first half marathon in May. I have had a few injuries end of last year, so easing back into things. My goal is to do 3 runs a week, with one day of strength training and some recovery in between.

[
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Been back at it since the beginning of September. I'm a "climate controlled runner". Love my treadmill at the gym lol. I used to run 15-17 years ago when I was in crazy shape. Really glad to be back doing it and can't believe I'm doing it. Did not expect to be here in Feb when I was 388 pounds.
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @Tessita_07 where is your half marathon? Last September I did the Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon with my husband and sister in law. They just signed up for one in St. Louis in April. I had a rough time training last year so I am sitting this one out. But it is a great accomplishment! Crossing that finish line is awesome! Good luck in your training!
  • Running4Bipolar
    Running4Bipolar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @Jpedno My half marathon is about 2 hours from where I live in Calgary, Alberta. This event is extra special, as my first ever race was at the same event, but a 5k. I want to return and do the half. Im also hoping to another half in September. See how the year holds out for me. That’s awesome that you did a half with your husband and sister in law. Training will be a challenge, but going to take it one day at a time. Nice to meet you!
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in. I am new to this group. I am committed to this challenge and to this group but can't type much today as I had a severe pain attack this morning so have been resting all day. I have numerous health problems and as a result of one of the health conditions I can have debilitating pain episodes but wanted to let you know I have not dropped out already since this is only day 2! I just am not feeling up to reading all the posts tonight (but I have skimmed them) or posting much about myself right now. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for me.

Weigh In Day: Saturdays
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Good evening all.
    Check in:
    Steps - 6772
    Calories - 2100
    Exercise - none. Cleaned up from the leak and waited for maintenance most of the day. Walked around the mall after dinner out.
  • jimboden3
    jimboden3 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    JimBoden3
    Weigh-in Day: Monday (Jan 2, 2023)
    PW: 233
    CW: 234.3
    SW: 240

Starting off the year with a reasonable goal and plenty of energy. COVID sapped a lot out of me back in November but I think I've been using that as an excuse as I had a great workout yesterday and have my motivation back. Happy New Year everyone.
  • lindamtuck2018
    edited January 2023
    Options
    363days wrote: »
    Let’s get to know each other!

1. Tell us a little about yourself? Where are you from? What are some of your hobbies? Etc. My permanent residence is in Oklahoma and I am currently living in Colorado where I am a caregiver for a family member who is traveling for chemo. Our schedule is very erratic and it is difficult to commit to exercise and have consistency in eating habits. I am volunteering at a local animal shelter and really enjoying this. I brought my dog with me and she loves the snow! I'm also a grandmother to a 1 year old and a 5 year old in Oklahoma. I bought a small travel trailer this year and can't wait to put more miles on it. I love hiking and have an electric bike - such fun.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? I have been overweight for 20 years and I want to look like I feel (as an active person). I also want less wear and tear on my joints.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? I am binge eater - I'm trying to not let myself get too hungry, I think this is a trigger. Also, I'm trying not to feed my emotions.

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb calories

5. What is your favourite way to workout? hiking, yoga, just started Hiit work-pout

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year? To be gentle on myself and not make it "all or nothing". Lose 20 pounds

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions? I find it so encouraging to read others posts about their journey.

8. Share some words of wisdom with your teammates. Be nice to yourself.

Not skipping my meals and snacks is so important to keeping my binge eating in check. I am fine missing breakfast as I never was a breakfast eater. Recognizing your triggers to binge eating is a big part of the battle.

inshapeCK wrote: »
    Just a quick check in. I am new to this group. I am committed to this challenge and to this group but can't type much today as I had a severe pain attack this morning so have been resting all day. I have numerous health problems and as a result of one of the health conditions I can have debilitating pain episodes but wanted to let you know I have not dropped out already since this is only day 2! I just am not feeling up to reading all the posts tonight (but I have skimmed them) or posting much about myself right now. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for me.

Weigh In Day: Saturdays

Welcome to the team! I hope you feel better today.

rwood566 wrote: »
    Good evening all.
    Check in:
    Steps - 6772
    Calories - 2100
    Exercise - none. Cleaned up from the leak and waited for maintenance most of the day. Walked around the mall after dinner out.

Great job on your steps and calories.
    jimboden3 wrote: »
    JimBoden3
    Weigh-in Day: Monday (Jan 2, 2023)
    PW: 233
    CW: 234.3
    SW: 240

Starting off the year with a reasonable goal and plenty of energy. COVID sapped a lot out of me back in November but I think I've been using that as an excuse as I had a great workout yesterday and have my motivation back. Happy New Year everyone.

Love the words reasonable goal. Setting unattainable goals can be frustrating and lead us off track.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps: 9,386
    Sleep:✔️✔️
    Log food: ✔️✔️
    Exercise: ✔️

I had a nice pool workout yesterday. I really want to build my swim time back up. By the end of February, my goal is to have beat my swim time and swim burn records on my Apple Watch. I am going for my injections soon. I don’t like having 10 days between injections. I am back to my normal schedule now that the holidays are over.

Happy Tuesday!
  • Morethanjustanumber
    Morethanjustanumber Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh in

Morethanjustanumber
    Weigh in day Monday 1/2

PW 230.0
    CW 232.2

But at 1/1/22 255.8 lost for 2022 33.6 pounds!
This discussion has been closed.