Active April 2023 Challenge

Options

Replies

• LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Good Morning everyone :)

@lucydarrah ~ that's a good question - what to do for protein when carbs are 20%.
    not sure there is a correct answer other than to tailor for your goals/eating approach reasons.

So, keto @ 10% or less has fats at 70, protein at 20%. some keto plans have carbs at 5% even.

If you shift the carbs higher to a low carb plan, then they need to be made up elsewhere (either fat or protein, right?) But wait - for heart health reasons, 70% fat is already super high/double and not generally recommended except when doing keto - so docs would recommend also shifting some of the fat% for the extra carbs....

so, when i am shifting macros, i set the carb 1st, fat 2nd, rest is protein. So, keto is 1 approach

jesdwzfiz9t4.jpg

low carb is different - here's a look at low carb, standard diet and keto - % all macros in comparison...

c5u198le3zrb.jpg

for me personally, i tend to do 20% carbs, 25-30% healthy fats and rest protein after my heart doc suggested low carb, low fat, so rest to protein (and watch kidneys because of higher protein load.) [and, i didn't find a chart for mine, lol :D ]

rdqqxfjq0qxq.jpg
  • lucydarrah
    lucydarrah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    tishsmith101 - smart to plan your week of activities, nice variety. I should do something like that. Does it help you stay compliant?

Taylok - Geez, sounds like it doesn't take much for your body to react to certain carbs. Sorry to hear about the hip and knee pain.

I am making a declaration right now to myself to do one activity today that really pushes me. It may not be much compared to what some of you do but I am pretty sedentary and I need to be more accountable.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Going to remain actively aware of my four pillars of health, focusing the most on IF, protein intake and increasing physical movement. As the weather improves, hopefully I can get out more. Paddling season is fast approaching plus I bought an ebike for transportation when I use the motorhome, I need to rediscover my bike legs!

z8ly50rw3q59.png
  • lucydarrah
    Options
    LifeChangz - thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out. I am leaning in the direction of low carb rather than keto. I know I can lose faster on Keto but it seems too restrictive.

Kinberwolf71 - wow you are so organized with your four pillars! Thanks for sharing.

I just did a little workout. Holy molly am I out of shape. At least it is a start and that's what counts!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    @lucydarrah yes, making a weekly activity plan helps keep me accountable. I may end up switching things around as life throws changes at me but I'll make do. Last night I intended to ride my indoor bike but a friend said they might stop by so I did a Leslie Sansone waling video instead (easier to stop for company LOL). I also plan out a weekly dinner menu as well (helps with grocery shopping).
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania. I'm a RN and work long days. Logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21.
    Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused.

Heaviest weight 255 lbs, twice. :-(
    9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs MFP start date.
    4/6/22- 147.6 lbs (107.4 lbs lost) I did NOT have a surgery. Did Keto.
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    3/1/23- 201 lbs

4/1/23- 207.6 lbs. :-( Struggling lately.
    4/2/23- 209 lbs. I need to get my head right and be more accountable to myself in this. I need to get back in control and off the carbs again. Back to my lower level of daily carbs(15g net +/- 3) and FOCUSED on what is best for me! Not short term enjoyment. Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 10.11 miles today (I do my elliptical like this 3x per week, on my off work days pretty religiously. Thursday, Friday & Sunday this week).

4/4/23- 204.8 lbs Not my usual check in day but hopefully getting myself back on track, FINALLY!!! Was on track Sunday, Monday and Tuesday with my low carbs and it shows! Today I'm on track too!
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Struggling a bit tonight with having the urge to mindlessly eat and know I’m totally not hungry. I ended the day with 150g of protein but still feel that habit trying to pull me back in. Fortunately I didn’t succumb but it helps when my husband is being good himself. Isn’t it crazy how influenced we can be by other’s actions? I guess the mental struggle is half the battle. Hope everyone else is conquering your challenges too!
  • lucydarrah
    Options
    Swimmom - what do you eat to keep your carbs so low at 15 net? I over do the protein when I try for such low carbs. Good for you for staying on track for these past few days. So easy to slip.

Taloc23 - I get the mindlessly eating. And I so agree about how we can be influenced by others actions. Yep, mental struggle is half the battle

I weighed myself at work today (am a school nurse) and I was 176, down from 180, but I know some of that has to be water. I keep saying I can make it until Easter Sunday and then jump right back on the wagon the day after! I haven't been sleeping well so tiredness is my excuse for not exercising when I get home from work. I am also an avid reader (in 3 book clubs) so that is what I do to relax. I wish I was one of those people who loved to exercise and that it was as important to me as brushing my teeth or keeping my house neat. Going to bed now and see if I can make tomorrow a better day for activity.

• tishsmith101
    Options
    4/1-4/7 continued

Saturday - 40 min walk with a friend ✔
    Sunday - Chores ✔
    Monday - strength and walking video ✔
    Tuesday - 25 min indoor bike ride ✔
    Wednesday - 90 min food bank sorting ✔
    Thursday - spin class at the gym planned
    Friday - strength planned

Food is on point, will weigh in Sat for the new week.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    lucydarrah wrote: »
    Swimmom - what do you eat to keep your carbs so low at 15 net? I over do the protein when I try for such low carbs. Good for you for staying on track for these past few days. So easy to slip
    @lucydarrah
    I don't follow a true keto. I limit my carbs and get a decent amount of protein and the fat falls where it falls.
    My 4 work days are the easiest. I start my morning with a protein shake, right now it's Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides 2 scoops of Unflavored & 2 scoops of chocolate and about 15-20 mL of a skinny syrup (Hazelnut right now) 2g net carbs, Fat 0.5g, 36 g Protein
    I used to do only half of the Collagen powder but a Endocrine CRNP told me I should get at least 30 grams of Protein for breakfast to lose better. So I doubled up. I can't say it made a difference though till I got my carbs back down like before. So I'm not convinced it helped at all.

Lunch is a salad I make (make the 4 of them on Sunday for my week) with Romaine, around 30-40 g of a bell pepper, 1 oz of Jarlsberg cheese, 1 oz of Boars Head sweet slice ham, 1 large hard boiled egg, 1 slice of bacon and 4 Tbsp of G Hughes sugar free dressing 2.8 net carbs, 32.6 g Fat, 26.1 g Protein

Dinner last night was 5 oz chicken thigh with the skin on and 4 oz of green beans 4.8 net carbs, 24g Fat, 24.6 g Protein
    Total was Net Carbs 9 grams, Fat 57 grams, Protein 86 grams. So I was below yesterday my usual 1000-1200 calorie goal @ 921.
    Sometimes I have some sugar free chocolate. Most recently I've tried the No Sugar Company Keto Krax. Which adds minimal carbs and more calories.

My off work days I make a 2 egg omelette with spinach, peppers and cheese for a brunch with 3-4 strips of bacon, then eat meat and a low carb veggie (usually broccoli or green beans) for dinner. On those days I do my elliptical for 150 minutes(since I only get to do it on my 3 non work days) first thing when I get up. But I do usually go over 1200 calories and sometimes over the 12 +/- 3 net carbs that day.

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,348 Member
    Options
    Welcome new comers ......I am struggling at the moment ... I had my 4th surgery on 3/31... 2 rods and more screws in my foot ... the pain is unbearable .. still not sleeping well ... not getting around very well ... eating is some keto and other days I just don't feel like eating at all .... I really hope I can pull my self out of this funk soon ughhh
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    Sorry to hear. Been there with 2 surgeries from falls. Both on my left leg. Fractured Fibula (plate and 7 screws, 1991) and Tibial Plateau fracture (3 plates and approximately 20 screws, (hard to count there is so many and they crisscross in the Xray) 2015). It gets better just takes time we don't like to wait on. :-(
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,348 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    Sorry to hear. Been there with 2 surgeries from falls. Both on my left leg. Fractured Fibula (plate and 7 screws, 1991) and Tibial Plateau fracture (3 plates and approximately 20 screws, (hard to count there is so many and they crisscross in the Xray) 2015). It gets better just takes time we don't like to wait on. :-(

Thank you It sounds like you have been through a lot ... I can't wait until this is behind me ... really missing walking my dogs
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    My name is Mary, 65 from Pennsylvania. I'm a RN and work long days. Logging in everyday since I started MFP 5/14/21.
    Unfortunately lost my mojo and gained a lot back but not all Thank God! Need to get back on track and focused.

Heaviest weight 255 lbs, twice. :-(
    9/14/20-255 lbs
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs MFP start date.
    4/6/22- 147.6 lbs (107.4 lbs lost) I did NOT have a surgery. Did Keto.
    8/1/22- 167.2 lbs
    12/1/22-198 lbs
    1/1/23- 213.4 lbs
    2/1/23- 207.4 lbs
    3/1/23- 201 lbs

4/1/23- 207.6 lbs. :-( Struggling lately.
    4/2/23- 209 lbs. I need to get my head right and be more accountable to myself in this. I need to get back in control and off the carbs again. Back to my lower level of daily carbs(15g net +/- 3) and FOCUSED on what is best for me! Not short term enjoyment. Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 10.11 miles today (I do my elliptical like this 3x per week, on my off work days pretty religiously. Thursday, Friday & Sunday this week).
    4/4/23- 204.8 lbs Not my usual check in day but hopefully getting myself back on track, FINALLY!!! Was on track Sunday, Monday and Tuesday with my low carbs and it shows! Today I'm on track too!

4/9/23- 203.6 lbs Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 10.04 miles zones 2, 3 & 4. (Also on Friday & Saturday same elliptical time & mileage). Meat & low carb veggies for Easter lunch today but I had a piece of a Dominican Pineapple cake. OMG! Not rich and a whipped cream icing but moist as a Rum cake. So delicious! Worth the calories & Carbs IMO.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I’m late joining this but it’s a good time for me to start committing back to regular exercise. I already go walking every day but I used to get a lot of enjoyment out of regular exercise outside of that.

My goal for the rest of April is to do three days of Pilates or Yoga every week.

It’s part of my mental health recovery as well as for the physical benefits. I’ve been recovering from a depression that settled over the last year, triggered by a toxic working environment. I’ve been recovering from the depression after starting a new job last month so now is time to get back to my old exercise routine. The Pilates/Yoga will be the first step with that.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    CW 169.5

Week 2
    Saturday - Chores ✔
    Sunday - 2.5 mile walk ✔
    Monday - strength and indoor bike planned
    Tuesday - outdoor walk planned
    Wednesday - strength and walk planned
    Thursday - spin class at the gym planned
    Friday - strength planned

Week 1
    Saturday - 40 min walk with a friend ✔
    Sunday - Chores ✔
    Monday - strength and walking video ✔
    Tuesday - 25 min indoor bike ride ✔
    Wednesday - 90 min food bank sorting ✔
    Thursday - spin class at the gym planned ✔
    Friday - strength planned ❌
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’m still here. It was a crazy holiday weekend in that having no plans turned into plans with back to back days of adult drinks. Saturday drinks were unplanned but Sunday I made a promise I wouldn’t graze on off plan food and I didn’t. But I also drank way more than planned on drinks I didn’t bring so the sugar/carb content was way higher. Whew, now that is out of my system it’s been back to work this week on following my cycle syncing. Thank goodness the Focus was back to more keto levels and
    fasting.

I had a small victory last night in reframing my thinking from wanting a snack to choosing not to snack to meet my goals. Oddly, it worked so I need to be aware of those kind of thoughts and redirect when possible.
  • lucydarrah
    Options
    Hello All. Yes, I agree taylok, we need to celebrate small victories and reframe our thinking to meet our goals! Tishsmith - you are amazing with your structure. I like all of the check offs!

I have been maintaining pretty well, keeping my calories under 1,300 but have been lax with working out. I tried the keto a few weeks ago and just can't maintain it. I crave fruits (and not just a few complimentary berries) and they are loaded with carbs. I was able to lose weight a few years ago with a few weeks of keeping my calories low and then a few weeks of being strick about keto. I do lose faster on keto but the fruit cravings get me every time.
  • lucydarrah
    Options
    Melmerritt33 - I get the depression situation. Ugh. I struggle with it myself, especially in winter and winters in Minnesota are long! My goal was actually to return to yoga and not be so focused on the poses as the stretching. I have a rebounder pilates machine but seldom use it, thanks for the reminder! Wishing youluck with your new job - change can be good.
  • lucydarrah
    Options
    Swimmom - thanks for the detailed description of how you manage your meals. Smart that you make the 4 salads for work on Sunday nights for the week. I have never been into the shakes as it feels like then I am missing out on the enjoyment of eating "real food" Elliptical for 150 minutes - Wow!

@Megan_smartiepants1970 - So sorry to hear about your injuries. I have some hip bursitis but nothing like what you are dealing with. Not sleeping well is the worst. I hope you are on the mend soon. Situations like that are exhausting.