WeightNoMore Team Chat - JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• alexhomeandcoffee
    alexhomeandcoffee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @minstrelofsarcasm
    I put my groceries in my baby’s stroller and stroll it home :)
  • JessicaVRosati
    JessicaVRosati Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @minstrelofsarcasm
    "Are the chocolates out in the open?"

Sometimes, and that's when it's the worst. They are usually in a drawer at the bottom of the fridge, but I still know where they are and get to them if I am really determined. That's ok, it won't be a problem after we've eaten them all. :D
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    @minstrelofsarcasm
    I put my groceries in my baby’s stroller and stroll it home :)

@alexhomeandcoffee -
    Oh, that makes way more sense! I had it in mind that you had to carry everything back home by hand, and thought that would be a really intense farmer's carry :lol:

@minstrelofsarcasm
    "Are the chocolates out in the open?"

Sometimes, and that's when it's the worst. They are usually in a drawer at the bottom of the fridge, but I still know where they are and get to them if I am really determined. That's ok, it won't be a problem after we've eaten them all. :D

@JessicaVRosati -
    I tend to keep candy in a huge bowl on my dining table, which means I'll grab a piece (or six) every time I walk past. It gets dangerous quickly, and then I eat entire bags in a matter of days. Obviously, you understand. Here's hoping you only have to face the chocolate menace for a little bit longer.
  • alexhomeandcoffee
    Options
    Alexhomeandcoffee

Weigh in day - Thursday
    SW- 207.6
    CW- 205.8
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Ljdanny
    Thurs
    Cw 193
  • alexhomeandcoffee
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I have a question 🙋🏻‍♀️

How many calories should I be eating?

I used to eat 1000-1200 and wasn’t seeing any improvement

When I start here with the group, I started eating 1600 and started to see a change in my weight lowering

I’m strength training 5 days out of the week and don’t know how much I should actually be consuming.
  • Marcy2890
    Marcy2890 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats to our winners from last week: @GarysGirl78 , @Marcy2890 , and @ssssseika !!!

Overall, it looks like we mostly maintained, which is a fantastic way to start a month. It means we, for the most part, held onto good habits and stayed away from our bad ones. And on that note, let's look at what Week 2 will bring us.
    1. What's one good habit you'd like to continue from last week?
    2. What's one not-so-good habit from last week you'd like to break?
    3. How are you feeling about July Week 2?

Wow I haven’t been as active as I had wanted to be this week so this was a nice thing to come back to! Definitely unexpected lol

1 . one thing I would like to continue from last week would be to really keep track of what I’m eating by inputting everything and being mindful when snacking

2. One habit I’d like to break is not skipping meals earlier in the day so that I’m overly hungry in the afternoon and want to eat everything lol

3. Feeling good about week 2, just have to keep it going and build habits rather than going all out then giving up
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    ~Step Challenge Results ~
    JULY WEEK ONE
    Team Statistics -
    Steppers: 9 (+1 from last week!)
    Total Steps: 608,714 (+31.9% from last week!!)
    Average Steps Per Stepper: 67,635

The Leaderboard -

@i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR - 87,204 total | 12,458 average
    @JacquelineRochelle 83,963 total | 11,995 average
    @GarysGirl78 - 81,086 total | 11,584 average
    @OllieandEd2021 - 79,932 total | 11,336 average
    @JessicaVRosati - 72,340 total | 10,334 average
    @melaniedscott - 61,436 total | 8,777 average - Most Steps in One Day!!!
    @ljdanny - 55,607 total | 7,944 average
    @9Harvey - 46,639 total | 6,663 average - Most Consistent!!!
    @BodyTalking - 41,087 total | 5,870 average

All of our bolded steppers set a goal and met it, based on their average steps per day!

Can I get confirmation of goals for people who want to track that. I know @GarysGirl78 is 9,000. I have @9Harvey at 7,000 and @BodyTalking at 8,300. Are those accurate? Does anyone else have a goal?

I'm so glad I said July 12 ish...I've been distracted this week.

We totally stepped UP this last week. I usually don't compare the first week of the month with the last of the previous (because...math) but this was a difference I felt deserved the extra work!

Well done!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I have a question 🙋🏻‍♀️

When I start here with the group, I started eating 1600 and started to see a change in my weight lowering

I’m strength training 5 days out of the week and don’t know how much I should actually be consuming.

@alexhomeandcoffee -

This is a tricky question to answer, but the important thing to know is that the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM is 1200 calories for women, which is typically only suitable for shorter women who aren't regularly exercising. Food is fuel for your body. Carbs and fats support energy, carbs and protein support muscle growth, fat supports the immune system, getting the right nutrients with your calories regulates hormones and body function and all the fancy stuff.

~ Questions to Ask ~
    How does 1600 calories feel for you?
    Do you feel like you're not starving?
    How's your sleep quality?
    Do you have cravings, or get dizzy, or feel like you aren't recovering from your strength training as well as you should be?

~ My Thoughts ~

Without knowing anything about you, or your body, or your habits, there's a few truths that exist in the weight-loss space:
    1. Not exercising, but eating at a caloric deficit will help you lose weight (could be muscle, could be fat, could be anything)
    2. Eating at a caloric deficit and doing cardio will help you lose weight and improve cardiovascular health
    3. Eating at a caloric deficit and strength training will help you lose fat and maintain muscle
    4. Eating at a caloric deficit and strength training and consuming plenty of protein will help you lose fat and gain muscle (albeit slowly)

And here's something I like to add on top of all of that:
    Food controls your size, exercise controls your shape.

Essentially, the root of the matter is that you should eat the amount of calories that help you feel healthy. This changes day to day based on what your body needs. If you're exercising a lot, I recommend consuming protein to replenish your muscles, and eating back at least half of the calories you burn on top of your intended calorie limit for the day.

If you want to play around with this, start with where you are. Eat at 1600 calories for a good 4-6 weeks, consistently. See how you feel, see what your body does, how it changes, and then adjust as needed. There's a bunch of calculators out there if you want specific numbers, but I think you're off to a good start already.

• abp1025
    abp1025 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    abp1025
    Friday Weigh in

PW: 195 lbs.
    CW: 194.8 lbs.
  • rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Rachelrjh
    Pw:155
    Cw:153

I follow four dictates: face it, accept it, deal with it, then let it go.
    -Sheng-yen
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @JessicaVRosati thank you so much for posting this gorgeous photo. I'm quoting just to share it again 😍
    cju0ec2w4r2d.jpg
    I know I will never get to all the faraway places that our teammates live, so photos help bring us together (for me anyway).

Here's one of Prague, from Letna park, that I took on Wednesday.
    v5avkgtyu4ds.jpgnot so tranquil 😄

@minstrelofsarcasm
    @alexhomeandcoffee -
    You walked to the store? Did you end up having to carry a bunch of groceries back?
    Lol, this made me chuckle because I don't drive and always carry my groceries home. I don't do huge shopping trips but lots of little ones whenever I need something or happen to be near a shop that isn't close to home. Like, on Wednesdays and Thursdays, I work at a place near Lidl and bring things across the city via bus and underground and then walking about 10-12 minutes to home. When shopping, I use the shop's basket rather than a trolley so that I know how much I'm able to carry all the way. This also helps me not buy unnecessary items. Occasionally, it's too heavy, but I manage 🛍️
  • BodyTalking
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I have a question 🙋🏻‍♀️

Hi @alexhomeandcoffee here are links that I shared earlier (page 1 of this chat thread, where I show my calculations):

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/calorie-deficit#creating-a-deficit

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/calorie-counting-made-easy

By reading this, I found that my basic maintenance caloric consumption is 2655 per day. This is based on my age, height, weight. I'm trying to achieve a deficit of 500-1000+/- (consuming 1655-2155) and averaging 3500-7000 deficit over the week. Last week, I managed 5200 and this week looks to be a bit more so far.
    Once I get into better exercising habits, I can adjust according to my activity levels and weight changes. If you're active and weight training, you need the calories for fuel, so it will fluctuate depending on what you do each day.
    The biggest 'aha' moment for me was understanding that there's a maintenance amount and consuming less than that should bring about change. However, I don't think I've ever gone over 2655 and know that the activities I do are what will make all the difference.

I like what @minstrelofsarcasm says, 1200 is the absolute minimum and "Food controls your size, exercise controls your shape."
  • BodyTalking
    Options
    BodyTalking
    Weigh-in-Saturday
    Starting weight: 81.7 kg/180.12 lb
    Previous weight: 79.6 kg/175.49 lb
    Current weight: 80 kg/276.37 lb

🤷🏼‍♀️ Oh well! I'm trying!
    I was at 79.3kg midweek.
    I'm currently in 6594 caloric deficit for this week, I've increased my steppage and done some more exercises.
    Maybe next week 😅
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Zumba_luvah
    Pw- 211.6
    Cw-211.8
  • JacquelineRochelle
    JacquelineRochelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @JacquelineRochelle

PW: 236.6
    CW: 236.6

On holiday and not near scale, but this was my last weight when at a scale. This is a no change position.

Steps

S 8,413
    S 10,374
    M 17,569
    T 8,458
    W 11,797
    T 11,167
    F 15,181
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    The July Week 3 Group Challenge is open and ready to begin on Sunday, Jul 16th. Please join us for a week-long spoiling session with Self-Care Bingo! I know we could all use a little of that! Hope to see you there. Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10894949/july-week-3-group-challenge-self-care-bingo#latest

Jessica :blush:
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    melaniedscott
    Saturday weighin
    PW: 235
    CW: 235

Sun: 1000
    Mon: 2772
    Tues: 2542
    Wed: 4457
    Thurs: 3733
    Fri: 1000
    Sat: 3330

I did much worse on with walking this week. Too much going on...
This discussion has been closed.