Shape Shifters Team Chat - AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @Itadakimasu7 Always check with your vet first, but either Frontline or Advantage for cats is a monthly treatment that you squeeze on the back of their neck (so that they can't lick it) and once you break the flea cycle and clean your house/all bedding/etc. you won't have any more issues. Even though it's odorless to us, cats can smell it and will not like the experience, but will be fine once it's done. I usually get mine open and sitting on the sink, then bring the animal in, hold the scruff and apply, but make sure it's right at the base of the back of the head/neck so that when the liquid runs down, they can't lick it. It's helpful if you have a 2nd person to help. Hope this helps...it's a pain to do all the laundry/cleaning, but once you're past that first application, just mark your calendar and do it the same day every month and you'll be fine. You should only have to do the cleaning/laundry/carpet cleaning once. If you buy it online, you'll find better deals, as it's not cheap...but it works and won't hurt the fur babies. Also, do NOT use flea collars...most of them don't work and some have been found to be poisonous. Discuss with your vet first...
    Jessica
  • Sbus12
    Sbus12 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Is Weight Gain a Possibility While Strength Training?

Here’s some take aways from this article I just read.

-Variety of reasons you might gain weight when you start lifting weights, including building lean muscle mass and water weight or inflammatory weight gain from the healing process.
    -Stress can cause weight gain. More cortisol released in the body can cause fluid retention.
    -Muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue
    -Think of strength training as your long-term solution to weight loss instead of fearing that it will cause weight gain

https://www.verywellfit.com/strength-training-weight-gain-3498354

• Sbus12
    Options
    @Armygirlarmyof1 when the weather is gross, I’ve taken the day as a pass in the past. However, recently I started using free weights in my basement and I’m looking for a beginners HIIT video to try. My new goal is to do a free exercise online video on the next bad weather day.
  • Sbus12
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @Zaxa2021 yes, you’re moving in the right direction. If that 0.8 was in the opposite direction, you would of been disappointed so let’s celebrate even when it seems too slow for us!
    Good job on your steps too!
    I just started strength training this week, and my weight has gone up by 0.5 which is driving me crazy! However, I definitely see new tone in my arms and legs after all the walking I’m enjoying, and I can feel the muscles in my legs after the week of squats and lunges, so I’m trying to focus on that.

Go @pedal__power Go! Look at you racking up those steps!
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Good Morning
    @Cyncia85 thank you for your input. I talked to my Nurse at the doctors office and she said she does the same thing as you. She just does 1 part ACV 3 parts water in a shot glass and bottoms up! She said the gummies are a waste of money and added with a bunch of "fake" stuff we don't need.

Steps:
    Aug 7= 10,479
    Aug 8= 12,639
    Aug 9= 3031 ( had to drive to Calgary for Doctors apt)

Have a wonderful day Shape Shifters
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @Pupowl , the flower bed is amazing. And give tinnus some loves and ear scratches for me. I wish I could meet him in person and love on him myself.
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Options
    2475 in steps
  • jessicakrall8
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Sbus12 wrote: »
    @Armygirlarmyof1 when the weather is gross, I’ve taken the day as a pass in the past. However, recently I started using free weights in my basement and I’m looking for a beginners HIIT video to try. My new goal is to do a free exercise online video on the next bad weather day.

@Sbus12 You can also walk inside, around your house...if you have one room that's larger...walk around it...walk in step while watching tv...do a walk video on YouTube...all represents movement and every step counts! I'm not sure why people fight so hard to ignore this, but it's all an option...and anything is better than just sitting still...EVERYBODY--YOU HAVE OPTIONS for getting those steps in!! Tell us more about HIIT...I'm not sure what it is, although I've read a few people like it a lot...would love to hear your thoughts after you try it. I love the walk or dance videos...

Sorry, saw Army's name and thought this was from her...

Jessica
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Options
    @jessicakrall8, you're fine gf. Hiit is high intensity workout. It's actually a lot of fun. But there's different workouts...hand weights keep balls, etc. Kinda like aerobics. I need to get back to doing it. Just basic weights.
  • Bumbinella
    Bumbinella Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    OMG I completely forgot to post my weigh in on Sunday, though I weighed myself :-(

Bumbinella, very late Sunday weigh in:
    PW: 171 lbs
    CW: 173 lbs
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Mid-week reminder (that I usually miss):

Three missing weigh-ins...please report in.
    @alleykat69
    @Walela617
    @angmarie28

Thanks!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    6i71jq9zya3f.png

STEPPERS...SCREENSHOT IS FROM WEEK ONE. PLEASE REPORT IN YOUR MISSING STEPS. THANKS!
    Jessica
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 93 Member
    Options

-Variety of reasons you might gain weight when you start lifting weights, including building lean muscle mass and water weight or inflammatory weight gain from the healing process.
    -Stress can cause weight gain. More cortisol released in the body can cause fluid retention.
    -Think of strength training as your long-term solution to weight loss instead of fearing that it will cause weight gain

I am absolutely experiencing this and it's also driving me crazy but I'm beginning to come to terms with it. One of my goals was to lose weight but I also want to strength train for long term muscle mass, bone density etc.. I'm often in a state of soreness and my weight has steadily increased and sometimes jumps up a lot after a really hard session. overall i'm happy with my strength gains but unsure if being part of a weight loss group with weekly reporting is the right thing for me right now. i've heard its extremely difficult to increase muscle and lose body fat all at the same time, ie recomposition. interested in other ppl's experiences.
  • roz0810
    roz0810 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Weigh In Day: Thursday
    PW: 274.8
    CW: 275
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ganival wrote: »

I am absolutely experiencing this and it's also driving me crazy but I'm beginning to come to terms with it. One of my goals was to lose weight but I also want to strength train for long term muscle mass, bone density etc.. I'm often in a state of soreness and my weight has steadily increased and sometimes jumps up a lot after a really hard session. overall i'm happy with my strength gains but unsure if being part of a weight loss group with weekly reporting is the right thing for me right now. i've heard its extremely difficult to increase muscle and lose body fat all at the same time, ie recomposition. interested in other ppl's experiences.

I've tried recompositions in the past, but my latest attempt, since September of last year, has been my most successful. I started using an online coach since late August last year, so that's likely why I've been more focused and successful.

I lift weights 3 times per week, primarily training with barbells on the big 4 lifts (squats, deadlift, bench press, overhead press). I started working with a coach because while I've done some type of weight training since high school, I'd let myself stop and start or jump around programs without making much linear progress. Having someone to be accountable to and who adjusts my programming based on my current goals has been instrumental.

My coach also has me report weekly averages of weight, waist, and macros. We'll all familiar with how weight can vary day to day, but having data for 4 weeks in a row can make it much easier to spot trends. In the almost year of working with him, I've hit personal bests in each lift while losing about 13 pounds, and dropping 2 inches from my waist. Recompositions mean that you won't quickly pack on muscle or drop weight compared to focusing on one of those goals, but I've made slow steady progress.

Biggest challenges for me during this time were managing my appetite and diet. My father in law is a CrossFit coach and told me something that has stuck with me for years: "you can't outwork a bad diet." Early on I thought I could eat whatever I wanted because I was burning more calories and was often hungry, and my progress was extremely slow. I took recommendations from my coach to dial in my macros and focus on protein, fiber, and foods with more satiety.

I also realized that weight lifting isn't linear either. I probably couldn't hit those personal bests right now as my training recent was focusing on supporting my cycling training. But I'm definitely stronger and leaner than I was a year ago.

98267u3qtcc7.png
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 25K steps in one day?! That's some mad awesomeness! Way to go!

@Sbus12 I love HIIT workouts as well! If you look up HASfit on youtube, they offer a bunch of free HIIT and strength classes that I've really enjoyed! I tend to do them more when I'm stuck inside.

@Pupowl Hello sweet Tinnus! Love seeing that face!

@bearchested Thanks for sharing your story, you've made some impressive progress in the past year! How did you find your online coach/program? I've thought about doing something similar in the past, but found myself overwhelmed just even searching for something that might be suitable.
This discussion has been closed.