Shape Shifters Team Chat - AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 25K steps in one day?! That's some mad awesomeness! Way to go!

@Sbus12 I love HIIT workouts as well! If you look up HASfit on youtube, they offer a bunch of free HIIT and strength classes that I've really enjoyed! I tend to do them more when I'm stuck inside.

@Pupowl Hello sweet Tinnus! Love seeing that face!

@bearchested Thanks for sharing your story, you've made some impressive progress in the past year! How did you find your online coach/program? I've thought about doing something similar in the past, but found myself overwhelmed just even searching for something that might be suitable.

Thanks! I've followed a blog called The Art of Manliness for years, and one of the authors has been using Barbell Logic online coaching for awhile and made significant progress. They offer a free month and do a good job of matching you with a coach who's aligned with your goals. For example, some of their coaches work with older clients, or clients who aren't comfortable with weights yet, while others work with powerlifting athletes and strong man competitors. They also offer nutrition coaching. They have a podcast with a lot of useful information as well.
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Steps:
    8/9 8,228
    8/10 6,958
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    roz0810 wrote: »
    Weigh In Day: Thursday
    PW: 274.8
    CW: 275

@roz0810 Heya Roz...just wanted to say hi...don't hear from you much...anything we can do to help with your current goals?? That little smidgen you gained will come off quickly...just keep on keeping on!! The scale likes to argue with all of us, even when we're doing everything right, but the science always wins out! Trust your instincts! Tell us what's up...share some of your NSVs (non-scale victories) to keep yourself motivated...we all have them...nothing is too small...would love to hear from you!

Take care and enjoy your weekend!
    Jessica :smile:
  • nancyinmo
    nancyinmo Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8
    Hi there, I need to skip this week’s weigh-in. Heading for a little weekend getaway! Thanks.
  • Zaxa2021
    Zaxa2021 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Step Update

8/9: 9,408
    8/10: 10,922

I've been using the stair master at the gym a bit more lately. Unfortunately, I have to hold the handle bars so my Fitbit doesn't read them as steps. A bit disappointing when it comes to counting steps, but it's definitely adding to my workouts.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,227 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Tue 8/8: 13,201
    Wed 8/9: 12,121
    Thu 8/10: 10,285
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @frankwbrown Sometimes my mouth gets bored and wants to chew. Finally discovered hummus and baby carrots and those work well because they give a good crunch. (Previously I was addicted to Skittles)

A few doctors have made claim that we turn certain foods into low-dose opioids in our guts and it is an anesthetic in its own right, just a thought, but maybe your body has its go-to for pain.

I hope your back is on the mend in a hurry, back stuff is no bueno.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    Zaxa2021 wrote: »
    Step Update

I've been using the stair master at the gym a bit more lately. Unfortunately, I have to hold the handle bars so my Fitbit doesn't read them as steps. A bit disappointing when it comes to counting steps, but it's definitely adding to my workouts.

Put your fitbit in your pocket and it will register the motion of you doing the steps on the machine. Hope it helps.
    Jessica
  • Zaxa2021
    Zaxa2021 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Step Update

Put your fitbit in your pocket and it will register the motion of you doing the steps on the machine. Hope it helps.
    Jessica

I thought about it, but I would rather it track my heartrate, and (hopefully) more accurate calorie burn. I feel like that's the data that is more useful to me in achieving my goals. Steps are more fun to track and compete with but just not as important to me, personally.
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    5770 in steps
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Jessica
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    Weigh In
    Wednesday

PW: 142.6
    CW: 141.1

Month Loss: 0.8 lbs

I'm glad I'm moving in the right direction. It's a bit slower than I would like, but happy it's progress.
    Although you may feel a bit impatient, "slow but sure progress" definitely has benefits in the long run. Studies show that rapid weight loss can trigger metabolic adaptation, and far fewer people tend to be able to keep the weight off once they attempt to transition to a maintenance diet.
    On the other hand, there is also some evidence that periodic diet breaks can help avoid the metabolic adaptation pitfall. So, if one can lose weight for a month or two, rewarding oneself by spending a week at maintenance can be part of a long term success plan.
  • frankwbrown
    edited August 2023
    Options
    1e5832w0jopb.jpeg

And this happened today 😊🙌🏃🏻‍♀️🎉
    Jessica
    Congratulations!
    I managed to get my 30k badge in July of last year. Not sure if I'll ever get the 40k or 50k badge. But I do hope to hike a half marathon (13.1 miles) one day, and that would go a long way (no pun intended) toward getting me to 40k.
    "Keep steppin'!"
    (I have a friend who has done a number of full marathons, and one of those gets him to 60k+ steps!)
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    ganival wrote: »
    Sbus12 wrote: »
    Is Weight Gain a Possibility While Strength Training?

Here’s some take aways from this article I just read.

-Variety of reasons you might gain weight when you start lifting weights, including building lean muscle mass and water weight or inflammatory weight gain from the healing process.
    -Stress can cause weight gain. More cortisol released in the body can cause fluid retention.
    -Muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue
    -Think of strength training as your long-term solution to weight loss instead of fearing that it will cause weight gain

https://www.verywellfit.com/strength-training-weight-gain-3498354

I am absolutely experiencing this and it's also driving me crazy but I'm beginning to come to terms with it. One of my goals was to lose weight but I also want to strength train for long term muscle mass, bone density etc.. I'm often in a state of soreness and my weight has steadily increased and sometimes jumps up a lot after a really hard session. overall i'm happy with my strength gains but unsure if being part of a weight loss group with weekly reporting is the right thing for me right now. i've heard its extremely difficult to increase muscle and lose body fat all at the same time, ie recomposition. interested in other ppl's experiences.
    My advice is to not worry too much about weight gain, as long as you're eating at a calorie deficit. You can't gain fat when you're burning more calories than you consume. So, short term weight gain can be a sign of water retention needed during muscle repair, and longer term weight gain can be a sign of actual muscle gain. If you're really concerned, you might look into having a couple DEXA scans ~6 months apart. That can probably give you the most accurate picture of your changing body composition. The other thing is to pay attention to NSV's, like how your clothes fit, what you energy level is, etc.
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    Step Update

Jessica
    I thought about it, but I would rather it track my heartrate, and (hopefully) more accurate calorie burn. I feel like that's the data that is more useful to me in achieving my goals. Steps are more fun to track and compete with but just not as important to me, personally.
    I too prefer getting HR data during my exercise, even though I'm an avid step goal chaser. I generally let at least my right arm swing while on a treadmill (couldn't do that years ago because I didn't have good balance). This means the treadmill won't know my HR and so can't automatically adjust the load, but I'm more interested in getting my HR and step count into Garmin Connect. I wish my watch could record HR while around my ankle. That would be ideal.

• dancingonstarz
    dancingonstarz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    dancingonstarz
    Friday
    PW: 157.3
    CW: 157.6(+0.3)
    LTD: 9.0

Not sure if it's the heat/humidity here lately but I can literally feel the water weight just jiggling around and refusing to drop off. I'm ready to see the scale start moving down again, trying to stay patient until that happens.
This discussion has been closed.