This October I Will (Walk More!)

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited September 2023 in Social Groups
rzcs750ci4vq.png

As we begin October, Maddie and I hope you’ll think of October as we do: as Walktober! We know that many of you are already daily walkers. Walking is a wonderful way to get some exercise, clear your head, reduce your stress, connect with people you love, and see things from a new perspective. Let's all walk more this month!

Even if you have another goal in mind for this month, we hope you’ll make room for some walking. Even if it’s just a five minute walk around your block to clear your head, you’ll return feeling less stressed and more energized. And if you can make it a longer walk, all the better!

If you aren’t convinced a daily walk will be helpful for you, why not test drive it this month? Select a daily habit you already have. Something you do every day. Maybe it’s a few cups of morning coffee? Use that existing habit as a reminder to go for a walk. Jot down when you’ve walked and make a point to walk every day. See if 31 days of short daily walks doesn’t make a big impact on your life! I’m confident you will see some amazing changes in your health, your body, and your outlook and perspective if you let walking work it’s magic on you!

Let’s make it a great Walktober!

🌷Denise & 🌸Maddie
@themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

New to Habit Building?

Be sure and read our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building.

It will help you make your habit stick!

Replies

• themedalist
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Every single minute we walk is beneficial!

am65ge7olyi5.png

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,834 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the spiration @themedalist and @MadisonMolly2017 Love the hiking boots!

It’s been cooler and that always helps me walk more. Even my senior pup is willing to walk more in cool weather.

My average steps per day for the month of September was 9285. So I think I push for an average of 10,500 in October. That’s a moderate increase.
  • 77tes
    Options
    BTW, I listened to an appropriate book for this challenge 52 Ways to Walk. It was a fun examination of some of the benefits of walking.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Oh, @77tes, I will have to check out that book! Thanks for the recommendation!
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,557 Member
    Options
    Happy October it’s been away but I want to fine tune some rusty habits before old man winter sets in. I do agree walking is therapeutic almost each day at lunch I walk for the bulk of my lunch hour sometimes we call them work meetings and it’s an opportunity to express thoughts without others listening ! I am fortunate to be close to an area filled with nature for my walks.

I am not sure where to start again but will decide and move forward. Thanks for continuing to set this monthly challenge up.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    I will walk daily this month & post my steps here.

I receive my long-awaited 🥲🥲 Orthotic FRIDAY Oct 6. I am hopeful I will be able to return to my former fitness level which helped me weight maintenance, health markers, and reduced my stress.

My weight is up this past two months…appetite is raging. Sad, but optimistic that I can get back to where I was.

Thank you @themedalist - ♥️ - so much!

Maddie
  • snowshoe072
    Options
    I walked twice today a morning stroll with the dogs backyard business lol and then a new trail with hubby somewhere close to home but had never gone before.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,066 Member
    Options
    Oh, @77tes, I will have to check out that book! Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks @77tes - like @themedalist I’m checking it out too!
  • snowshoe072
    Options
    A good walk at lunch yesterday my average was 3.5mph my walking buddy and I rather well at lunchtime I think we did 2.6 miles will see what today brings my weight has been creeping up on me lately need to be more focused.
  • 77tes
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I’m going to try to check in more in October too:

October -WALKTOBER
    1. Sunday - 2.5 miles on the bike 🚴 and 6,950 steps 🚶‍♀️
    2. Monday - 3.8 miles on the bike 🚴 and 12,177 steps 🚶‍♀️

My walks are generally around my neighborhood or the neighborhood around the park. I do try to find something beautiful every day on my walk and I’ve taken to taking a picture and adding it to my journal.

@jamcnewman and @themedalist Do check out 52 Ways to Walk. I got my copy of the audiobook from the library through the Libby App.

@snowshoe072 - the new trail sounds cool. My sister moved to an area with lots of hiking areas. She took a hiking class and made a lot of friends to hike with.

@MadisonMolly2017 , I hope that orthodic helps you get back to your previous activity level
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Hi all I'm here... will read above posts and think about oct goals soon!!!! Xo
  • snowshoe072
    edited October 2023
    Options
    @77tes when I had better knees hubby and I hiked almost every weekend when there was no snow or mud! I would like to try a more difficult hike again but am afraid my knees would revolt! But it is a peaceful way to spend a day and the chance to see some beautiful views.

I got one more lunch time walk in it’s been unseasonably hot here for October can’t believe I am still wearing shorts to work lol!
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,066 Member
    Options
    Walktober could not be better timed! I am just getting back to walking after a health setback, and the doctor ordered complete rest. Starting back slow and steady with the hope that things continue to improve. 🤞🏻 I have my treadmill set up and it is a good option for me as the terrain is predictable. 😂🤣

October Walks
    🥾 = outdoors 👟 = indoors 🧦 = rest day

🥾🥾👟 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    30 31

Above is how I’ll be tracking my success in October. For right now, I will accept that when a rest day is taken, it is a positive sign that I have listened to my body and taken care of myself. 🥰
  • 77tes
    Options
    October- WALKTOBER

3. Tuesday- 13,272 🚶‍♀️
    4. Wednesday - 4 miles on the bike 🚴 and 8,913 🚶‍♀️

@jamcnewman , I love the different feet emoticons for tracking- so cute! And you’re right, listening to your body and resting is vital.

@snowshoe072 , I’m just learning to enjoy hiking. It’s great! And lunchtime walks are really a good idea.
  • snowshoe072
    Options
    No walking buddy today felt odd so I did a 20 minute peloton power walk weather still really nice maybe rain over weekend
  • snowshoe072
    Options
    I lost track of my walking today not a structured walk but in and out to check the de frosting freezer then to clean up some plants put stuff away etc rain looking like a fair amount so I even covered 2 of the wood piles
  • 77tes
    Options
    My sister is visiting for a ball. Much fun!

October - WALKTOBER
    5. Thursday- 2.5 miles on the bike 🚴 and 7,872 steps 🚶‍♀️
    6. Friday - 12,946 steps 🚶‍♀️- lots dancing 💃
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    I’m going to try to check in more in October too:

October -WALKTOBER
    1. Sunday - 2.5 miles on the bike 🚴 and 6,950 steps 🚶‍♀️
    2. Monday - 3.8 miles on the bike 🚴 and 12,177 steps 🚶‍♀️

My walks are generally around my neighborhood or the neighborhood around the park. I do try to find something beautiful every day on my walk and I’ve taken to taking a picture and adding it to my journal.

@jamcnewman and @themedalist Do check out 52 Ways to Walk. I got my copy of the audiobook from the library through the Libby App.

@snowshoe072 - the new trail sounds cool. My sister moved to an area with lots of hiking areas. She took a hiking class and made a lot of friends to hike with.

@MadisonMolly2017 , I hope that orthodic helps you get back to your previous activity level

Thank you! Got it Friday! I’m
    Optimistic!

• MadisonMolly2017
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Goal: 5,000+ steps each day
    Oct 1-7 steps average 5,841!!!! DID IT!
    Up about 2,600 per day.

Shooting for 5K+ per day. Decided not to wait until Oct 6 (and orthotic) just walked gently 2-3 times a day - short distances.

On to next week! I did my first uphill - I felt stronger & had a blast

I walked gently downhill. So far, so good!

Additional goal OCT 8-14
    TRACK EVERYTHING I EAT.

I am placing my health first again. I got excellent labs last week (kidney transplant). Thank GOD. I was concerned stress w/ my dad & my poor eating might have hurt my kidney.

I need to now turn my attention to best diet for my heart (given I’ve got the walking going again.)
    Numbers were okay, but not as good as they were, I’m eating too much Sat Fat. Tracking will be my best habit to lower that over time. So track I will do Oct 8-14 along with my steps.

Thank you for you message @victorious55
    Lifted my spirits greatly ❤️ My Twin. I will respond soon!
    2:30AM must get to sleep!

Take care, all
    Maddie

Today is the day to make ourselves as healthy as possible.
    Baby steps work.
    Health First.
    Never Give Up
    💞

My blood glucose is okay as were protein, so I will focus on reducing Sat fats. I will also continue to eliminate sugar & keep salt low (kidney health)