WaistAways Team Chat - OCTOBER 2023

Options
jugar
jugar Posts: 10,127 Member
edited October 2023 in Social Groups
dazindfalpz1.png
Here is your Team chat room for October 2023. This is where you weigh in, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed! Bookmark this thread to make it easy to land there any time.

Fat2Fit has five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970
Mission Slimpossible - @broncobuddee and @trooworld
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and @Pupowl

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - @Slimmersixties & @JaysFan82
Mission Slimpossibles - @katmary71
Weight No More - @rachelrjh
WaistAways - @conleywoods & @cleaneater80
Shape Shifters - @Sbus12 and @Cyncia85

HOW IT ALL WORKS: The October challenge runs for 4 weeks, from October 1 - 28. F2F months always start on a Sunday and end on a Saturday, so adjust your calendars!

Everyone weighs in weekly on their chosen day right here in the team chat. At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard.

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you want a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or are moved to the Support Team for as long as you need to. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally. Don't worry! You can always come back even if you get dropped.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone. You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team.

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month begin!!

Replies

• jugar
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Welcome to October 2023!

This is our home for the month, where all of our joys and challenges take place. Please (re)introduce yourselves and set some goals and daily actions for the month and the new year. Focus on the small every day choices, and you will get where you want to go!

I am Liselyn, co-captain along with @ashleycarole86. I live in rural Québec, and I'm a retired university professor of music. It was not until I was 58 that I got really serious with both food and exercise. As of this month, I hit 11 years on maintenance, always refining and making sure I don't have to do it all over again. Yes, it is possible to lose weight and get in shape after menopause!

I know there are people on this team who have a lot to lose, others who have lost a lot and are closing in on their goals, and some who might be working on losses that are stubbornly resisting. There is much wisdom here, and the most important lesson we learn from each other time and time again is that it is not a straight shot, there will be trials and errors, and sticking with it when it feels like you have fallen off yet again is the best thing you can do for yourself. Plateaus can be good, but going back the way you came is not!

Some helpful information/tools:
    Posting your daily updates
    We know from experience that posting daily (or as often as you can!) makes a huge difference to your success. Use any format you like to let everyone know how you are doing on your daily goals and habits. You can report on food, exercise, water, sleep, or whatever you are tracking and trying to stick with. While you're there, talk about how you are, ask questions, and if you can answer someone else, please do! Congratulate others, commiserate, enjoy someone's rant, or go ahead and rant yourself. It all helps make the kind of community where we are in each others' heads when the hand is reaching for that off-plan snack, or the couch is feeling way too inviting...

Weighing in
    Please try to weigh in on time! When you post, put your weigh in at the TOP of a message, so it is clear and easy to find. If you cannot post your weight for whatever reason, please request a week off, or if you need a longer break, you can request to move to the "Support Team" where you still participate but your weigh-ins will not be part of the weekly tally. This is where members who are ill, on vacation, or just needing a break can hang out for as long as needed.

The F2F Habit Tracker
    If you want a simple place to track your most important habits, give this a try. You can see how your teammates are doing too :wink: The link and how-to info are under "Announcements" on the main F2F page. Or just jump to it:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fdJ6htI2YK_ItxoqDy0VTI7hmuFDeQHajPkzSVWp0BM/edit?usp=sharing

So everyone, tell us a bit about you, your goals, what steps you are going to work on. It's fun to know your name and where you live (if you're willing to share that), what brought you here, how your weight loss journey has been, and where you are headed now. Let the chatting roll!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,148 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Ashley and I'm 36 years old (37 in one month!) and live just outside Calgary, Alberta with my husband, our dog Morgan, our two cats, and my mother and her dog in the basement. We all work full time in downtown Calgary. After I post this today, we are off north to Pine Lake where we have a seasonal trailer parked for the summer to close it up. Life is definitely a lot less hectic without the lake in the winter, but we really enjoy the getaway and the relaxation it brings. However, it also brings excessive eating, drinking, and a more sedentary lifestyle than I'd like. All things that CAN be changed, and something I'll need to strategize on for next summer.

I joined MFP again at an all-time high of 293 a few years ago and managed to lose 125+ pounds. A chunk of that has come back on over the last year and particularly since getting back from Brad's 50th birthday trip and then another portion here over the summer. I am still at the ~75 pounds lost mark but I definitely don't feel as good as I did when I was my low weight and I'd like to get back there.
    My main goals remain to stop any further gain, to get back in better bike shape for my next Gran Fondo in July of 2024, to enjoy healthy hobbies like soccer and snowshoeing throughout the winter, to limit alcohol intake, and to track my food. I also try to hit 10K steps or equivalent on our step team, which I run. I hit some good momentum at the end of September and I want to build off that. It felt GOOD. October, here I come!!!

All existing members of the step team will port over to October with their same step pledge, so if anyone needs to make any changes from September, just let me know. And we are pleased to welcome back returning step counter @KellyBgetsfit and her amazing numbers!
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Lauren and I live in North Carolina, USA. I have been trying to lose weight most of my adult life and have done the yo-yo thing. I lost the most weight in 2012 with weight watchers, got gallstones, had a cancer scare, and gained a bunch of weight back. Since then it's just been losing and gaining the same 20 pounds.

I am feeling good, and ready for October! I want to keep aiming for 7,000 steps daily. My focus this month will be on water and sleep. I have a BAD habit of looking at my phone in bed and get about 2 hours less sleep at night because of it! I find I make bad decisions with food if I'm tired.

I hope everyone has a great month!
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Our October Week 1 Group Challenge is open and ready to begin on Sun, Oct 1st. Please join us and the wonderful @Katmary71 birthday girl herself, for the Eat the Rainbow Challenge! Expand your nutritional goals with us! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10900540/october-week-1-group-challenge-eat-the-rainbow/p1?new=1

Look forward to seeing you in the chat thread!
    Jessica :smile:
  • jugar
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 I'll be strapping the fitbit back on tomorrow! Put me in the stepping and exercise team for 10k daily in October. I'll try to remember to take it off when I go riding! You don't need to count my horse's steps, although he did become a bit rotund this summer :hushed:
  • lauren_989
    Options
    @conleywoods I like the idea of questions every month!

Why am I on this journey? I want to be healthy and able to move and do things I want to do as I age. It is amazing the difference between my parents and my husband's parents. My mom walks 2 miles every day, my dad will ride his bike 18+ miles or jog 4 miles faster than I can (they are in their late 60s). Meanwhile, my husband's parents aren't in the best shape. His mom can walk 5 minutes before getting out of breath. His dad huffs and puffs going up stairs (they are in their early 60s). I want to enjoy my life and not let my weight or size get in the way of doing anything I want. I also have some petty reasons for weight loss, but this has been my main motivation.

My perfect weight loss day would be eating within calories, getting enough sleep, and doing an activity or steps. I would wake up feeling refreshed after getting enough sleep. My breakfast is usually eggs with veggies or toast with peanutbutter. I would then do my activity for the day, whether it be a walk or body pump class. My goal is to eat around 1500-1600 calories with a focus on protein, fruits, and vegetables.
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name is Yinka and I live in Bewdley, Worcestershire UK. I've been on this weight-loss journey for longer than I'd like. At this time, I think that I have at least 4.5 stones to lose (about 63lb), but I often lose motivation. The crux to my success is my diet. But I am starting to get on top of it.

In answer to the 2 questions:

I am on this journey to be as healthy as I can be for as long as I can. I suffer from MS so staying healthy is vital to my condition.

And a perfect weight loss day looks like, sleeping well, eating clean, exercising and drinking more water. Easy!

Back later with my weigh-in.

• KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Kelly. I am a wife and mother of 4. We have a boxer mix that loves to go for walks. This year I teach 2nd grade. I used to teach Kindergarten. I like it.

I joined the team in January 2020, when my youngest was a baby. But, this summer, I took a slightly unplanned break. I switched to maintenance for summer because we were so busy. We had a fabulous summer and I actually maintained within 2lbs. I am ready to lose again. I have been at 149 for about 2 weeks, which is my lowest weight in 1.5 years. I would like to lose 5 more before Thanksgiving, then maintain until January.

I am on this journey so that I can be healthy and to feel confident in my appearance. I had a lot of health problems during all of my pregnancies, even though I was only 110 pounds when I got pregnant the first 2 times. I want to live a long time to take care of my kids and someday, grandkids. Plus, I want to look good in my clothes. There is nothing worse then changing your clothes 10 times because you feel fat.

A perfect day would start with a workout and end with a cool walk. I would stick to my plan with no unplanned snacking. Plus, I would keep my stress levels at a minimum.

• YinxFed
    Options
    Greetings Friends!

My weigh-in:

PW - 184.7
    CW - 183.9

• lauren_989
    Options
    Sunday: 8,927 + 5k walk @ 4.0mph
    Monday: 7,174 + 60 min body pump class
    Tuesday: 9,082 + 2.5 mile walk @ 3.9mph
    Wednesday: 3,596
    Thursday: 7,057
    Friday: 7,363
    Saturday: 8,080 + 60 min body pump class

I had a good week in terms of steps! Wednesday I had a work dinner so wasn't able to go to body pump and I snoozed my alarm instead of getting up early before work. Now I'm trying to convince myself to get dressed and go for a walk to get some steps in. I am currently sitting at 693 steps and it's 12:30pm 😫 I am caught up in a good book I just can't put down!
  • YinxFed
    Options
    My step and exercise stats for the last 7 days:

Sunday 24th September - 1520
    Monday - 3068 / 34m Fitness Blender FB30 Round 4 Day 9 - HIIT & Abs
    Tuesday - 4433
    Wednesday - 5853
    Thursday - 7097
    Friday 29th - 10689 / 64m Walking
    Saturday 30th - 5613
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy Sunday and October! I have had a really busy one, and finally got the tallies done. I had a saddle fitting done with a fantastic professional - several people in our barn wanted to do this, and it was certainly worth it! Jasper is a young growing horse, and just in the past 4 months has outgrown our saddle. I haven't been so happy with it either! So now we know why, we had a chance to look at all the details, and, :tired_face: I'll have to get a new saddle. I hopefully can get a good price selling my used one. I could not believe the difference it made for Jasper especially - he has been having some pain, and in a properly fitted saddle he really moved out!

Now the answers to those lovely questions.

✅ Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    I consider my journey to be maintenance and optimal health now. I'm 69 years old. I have been in my goal zone for 11 years :astonished: and it is certainly much easier to stay there than it used to be, but I love keeping up with this team to keep the inspiration levels high! Of course, losing the weight was the journey back then, and it was a LOT of hard work, setbacks, but the gradual progress was so encouraging in the way I felt stronger, able and happy to move more, and all the good things. All the health niggles that were starting went away, too.

✅ What would your perfect weight loss day look like? For example, how would you start your day🌞, foods you would eat🥬🍎 and activities🚴‍♂️?
    We talk a lot about "one perfect day" in here! Whenever someone on the team is getting off track or feeling like it is scary, impossible, and hopeless to get back on, "one perfect day" is the first tool to grab out of the box. Stick to whatever healthy eating plan you use. Get some sweat on, or at least a good intentional exercise of whatever kind you can, whether you want to or not! Get through that day. Usually it feels so good that a lot of the fear goes away.

My perfect days have no cereal grains (especially zero flour of any kind), tons of vegetables, reasonable amount of healthy fats, protein from fish or legumes (I very rarely eat any meat or eggs at all). I don't eliminate sugar, but aim for mostly natural sweet from fruits. Homemade sorbet in a moment of craving does not wreck a perfect day! And getting outdoors is a must for me. Doing something demanding physically, sweating, moving well. Hopefully fun (hello snowshoes! hello horse!). That makes a great day. I still need this tool in maintenance. I get sloppy, eat less well for a couple of days, and boy do I feel it. I actually enjoy perfect days now. It went from being a necessary tool to being a total pleasure.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png

cf45sg16wxkt.png
    cnx0t07g4yq6.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    m6q4a13ggcpa.png

By Pounds
    0k1d5vz70l2e.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    2hhb2k3ghkbo.png
    pnpctu90dz44.png

By Pounds
    u3v2itvhm0jc.png

Team Winners
    h4scza7bemph.png
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png

3k27gmtuece2.png
    7uqh6xentgwo.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    7uuzftobz5hb.png

By Pounds
    rwdnropk0pm3.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    c0f11ipu2apu.png
    xpreiokdyns4.png
    u9ay31s3tqg3.png

By Pounds
    dupblz7c0jty.png

Team Winners
    80adxo4zry2l.png
  • jugar
    Options
    @micki48 - we gotcha. Late, early, whenever - it is always good to get your news, stats, whatever you've got. No sorries needed!

High fives to all our top losers!
    @veronica1359
    @Gidgitgoescrzy
    @DianaGetsFit512
    @MaddawgMadsen
    @strong_fit_ells

Well done! You showed up for September and did your best. Let's keep the energy going for October - who's got the juice?
  • jugar
    Options
    Monday weigh-ins - here you come!
    @CarolAnnM2
    @cleaneater80
    @littlemzkitty
    @strong_fit_ells

Thanks!
  • jugar
    Options
    I cooked my first meal on an induction range this evening. It was amazing! Everyone says it is as good as gas, but I say it is better. I have had gas stoves forever, and this thing is the next step up for sure. It combines what is good about gas (speed of reaction) with what is good about wood cookstoves (super even heat) and then goes one better somehow. My veggie skillet thingy tasted great, and clean-up was a breeze. I think I'm going to like this thing! We had to get rid of gas because of my husband's asthma - it was getting to bother him more and more. Now we're glad.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,148 Member
    Options
    ✅ Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    I woke up one day in 2021 and just started. I've been gaining and losing weight my whole adult life. I have a lot of obesity in my family. Life was starting to get hard right before I started and my weight was creeping up to close to 300 pounds. My mom is in her early 60's and has struggled with her weight her whole life as well and it's really affecting her quality of life now. So, I don't want that to be my fate. I also want to stay healthy and well for my husband so that he and I can age together comfortably, doing all the adventures we dream of for our retirement. Lastly, I am not confident at a higher weight, and it's exhausting worrying about how clothes fit and trying to "fit in". I felt great at my maintenance range and I really want to get back there.

✅ What would your perfect weight loss day look like? For example, how would you start your day🌞, foods you would eat🥬🍎 and activities🚴‍♂️?
    I'd wake up well rested after 8 hours of sleep. All food would be tracked and I'd stay in my calorie budget, closing my diary under my allotment for the day. I'd get 10K steps, and I'd also do a 45 minute Peloton workout and a stretch afterwards.
This discussion has been closed.