WaistAways Team Chat - OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• strong_fit_ells
    strong_fit_ells Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good evening Waistaways ❤️

CW 223.8 lbs - a great loss due to TOTM finishing.

Have a lovely Wednesday all ❤️
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,213 Member
    Options
    Today has been another beauty here in Alberta - I had the joy of riding my daughter's wonderful horse. He is a year older than my Jasper, and the refinement and poise he has is lovely. He spooks at things that Jasper wouldn't even blink at, but riding him is like taking out the fancy car! We both had a good workout - lots of balance and transition work, suppleness, and plenty of big movement. More tomorrow!

@littlemzkitty time for some experimentation! Something has to change to make things change. I agree with @cleaneater80 that celebrating the non-scale progress is important! Then take a good look at your food. That is usually the place to make changes that help, but don't go all or nothing - what could you change that would keep your nutrition sound? Sometimes cutting back even a bit on carbs or refined foods can make a difference. Or seriously up the fibre level of your food. Start an experiment for a week and be as consistent as you can for that week and see if it helps. If not, try something different the next week. You'll find something - and changing things up from time to time can help keep it from getting boring. For exercise, be sure to get some good variety too. Keep us posted on what you try!

Wednesday people are up next!
    @Gidgitgoescrzy
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @JScottJr1988

If you have a loss, let us know what you think helped. If not, what are you going to try to build a better week coming up?

Tally ho!
  • Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    @MaddawgMadsen ahh love that there's another cheesehead in the chat! I grew up in NY so also not a native Wisconsin-ite. I visited Lambeau for the first time last month (not a gameday) and it was so cool.

I am still suspicious of the autumn chill in the air. October in the northeast is notorious for sudden scorches back to the mid 70s, but it did smell deliciously like fall today. I may need to face the music a big with my work wardrobe since I have been coasting on about 5 tops that are pretty summery. I will likely need at least a cardigan/sweater/outerwear shopping trip - my commute is quick enough from apartment to train and from train to office that I haven't even grabbed a coat yet but it is approaching. (I also feel like I run hot - and I can't recall if that was always the case or if it has to do with my weight these days. Probably the latter? Fat is insulating, no?)

Anyways, got my upper body workout in - I wasn't too sore from the kayaking yesterday which is great. Glutes were more sore from lower body weighted workout last night, which is a feeling I love.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,183 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    @cleaneater80
    I don't have kids but I got moved a lot as a kid.
    First I moved from the small farm town where I was born to a city when I was 5. I had gone to kindergarten in my first community and started grade 1 in my new community.
    The hard move was when we moved from that city to Calgary just before grade 9. I was so established in my old community and it was really hard on me. I had bad anxiety and panic attacks in my teen years and didn't adjust well.
    The biggest thing though in my story, because lots of kids move and are fine, is that on top of that, we moved houses a lot.
    By the time I was done living with parents, I had already lived in 11 houses. My first house was the first 5 years of my life so that means the next 10 houses averaged only 1-2 years each.
    ANYWAY... this story isn't helpful except to say that moving and general stability were not seen as a big deal in my family but I know it impacted me. In my case my life was in boxes all the time and I never got the sense that I was settled when I was a kid. The fact you're having that intentional thought about a community move and what it will mean tells me that if you do make the move, the emotions of your kid will be top of mind, and I think that's the most important thing.
    Last random thought about the moving all the time....
    My husband and I built the house we're in and moved in back in 2019 which means by next year it's tied at the longest I've ever lived somewhere, which is so exciting to me. Partially because I've really just started to process this year how much all the moving in my childhood actually impacted parts of my personality (o perhaps reinforced certain things that were already there). My interpretation anyway.
    Brad wants to retire elsewhere (somewhere in BC we are thinking) and I intend for us to live in this house until we do, so it's going to smash the record by a long shot :) I also get antsy at the change even then because I've sorta swung on the pendulum and just want to hold onto the stability of being here as long as possible, but I know an eventual move down the road is in the cards.
    Anyone else got a past or present of serial moving? My mom clearly thrived off of it and I know some folks love a change or obviously if you have a military family or something like that it's the norm but yeah.. fun topic @cleaneater80
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Soccer game two tonight. We lost but I worked hard out there. Some sprints up and down. It's nice to not feel totally gassed at the end. I didn't get my walk at lunch but the game totally brought me over my 10K steps.

I'm behind on getting steps from last week recorded but I'll get the report out later this week. Love to see everyone's numbers rolling in and it's motivating me to keep stepping!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Also just wanted to give kudos to all you folks doing the dry October, and to those that are keeping their willpower to abstain from alcohol all the time or more than their usual.
    I am definitely not able to say I'm doing a dry October but I will say over the last few months the amount of days I drink has gone down and that is a place I feel much better to be in.
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    @cleaneater80 my family moved once, from CT to RI when I was 4.5. I will honestly say at that age, I didn't really care. However, my brother was 12 and it was VERY hard for him. I think it does depend on the child, how easy it is for them to make friends. But he had a very rough go for a few years. So much so now, he has vowed not to move at all while his kids are in school.

So what I was going to post yesterday, was that I was surprised at my weight loss. I didn't make the best choices, however I also didn't go over calories. French fries and sweets for lunch, salad for dinner. Plus, a lot of water weight must have come off too.
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Bravo on the loss @lauren_989
    Sometimes those surprise losses are just the best
    Now you get a week to hopefully work on another one that doesn't feel so surprising!
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    cw 171.6
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 254 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 - Tuesday, October 10th - 6,002 steps - 1 hour of CrossFit (the first one with my husband!)

My day yesterday was 5:30am CrossFit, work by 8, grocery store after work, home by 6:20pm, helped my husband with dinner until my 6:45pm school board meeting (I am the treasurer on a school board for a small charter school in my town). When the meeting ended at 8:40pm, all I wanted to do is go to bed, but I realized I was a couple hundred steps short of my goal. So I stayed up, pitted and froze some plums that were about to go bad, and then did a few laps around the house. I literally hit my goal two steps away from bed.
  • MaddawgMadsen
    Options
    @jugar - I was attributing my weight loss to being sick on Monday, but I was down today, too. So, while I think the illness was a factor, it wasn't the only one. I think the rest of it is sticking to my calories, getting my workouts in, and drinking enough water. Also, I've been focusing on eating more protein this week and I think that might be helping with the weight loss.

Oh! One of my CrossFit coaches is also a dietician. So, I have a coaching session scheduled with her on Tuesday. I am so excited to meet with her so she can help me better learn and adopt macro counting into my diet.
  • MaddawgMadsen
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 - I moved a lot after high school. My family was pretty poor when I was young, so we lived in at least three different places that I remember before I was 6 years old - all in the same town. Then, when I was 6, my grandma died. The farm that my dad grew up on was sold and he got a piece of that sale which he put down on a house. I lived in that house from the age of 6 until I went to college. In fact, my mom just sold it a year-and-a-half ago.

In college, I moved every August and May - to school, back home for the summer or wherever I was working for the summer. After college, I came home for the summer and then left in September for the Peace Corps (Madagascar). I only lasted three months before coming back to the States. Between January, 2008 and October, 2010, I lived in four different places. I ended up in one house for two years - October, 2010 - January, 2013. From October, 2013 to June, 2019, I lived in five other homes. Then, in June 2019, I moved to the house I now live in. So, that's 20 moves in the last 20 years, if I'm counting moving during college. 12 moves since college.

I have now been in this one house for four years and I'm starting to go stir crazy. I don't necessarily like moving, but I like change, being somewhere new, experiencing new things, and having a reason to regularly purge.

I guess the morale of this is that every human treats moving and change in different ways because it impacts each person differently. @cleaneater80, it is so great that you are considering your kids in your possible move! I think you ultimately have to make the best decision for you and your family, but keep talking with your kids; especially if a move is involved.
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    @lauren_989 nice loss - those weeks you see a loss are the ones that keep you motivated to do the work and keep the consistency.
    @jugar have to agree the weather has been amazing the last week.

@ashleycarole86 love that you are creating your security with home now and on your terms.

@MaddawgMadsen have to agree I love purging - the openness you get is what I crave in my house

Thanks for sharing your moving stories. I appreciate your opinions and stories, gives me more or a perspective on moving with a family. I great up on a farm and my parents are still farming and in the same house I grew up in - the idea of moving was never in my childhood but I always wanted to live in the city so I could be closer to my friends. We live in a great neighbourhood and have a fantastic community we've developed, the problem is in this post COVID world along with the opioid crisis we have so much more crime and safety concerns because of the location we are in the city.
  • JScottJr1988
    JScottJr1988 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Username: JScottJr1988
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    PW: 202
    CW: 205
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options
    Catching up on posts. Falling asleep. More later
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,213 Member
    Options
    Weigh-in update - due through Thursday:
    @kerdil08 - hope you're still with us!
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @ashleycarole86
    @conleywoods
    @eggfreak
    @bowens1973

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Username ashleycarole86
    Thursday weigh-in

PW 217.6
    CW 218.8
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Some of you will remember my last Vegas trip had me weigh in a whopping 10 pounds above my previous weigh-in!
    My vacation bloat is always insane so I'll take how quickly I'm bouncing back this time to be good overall, despite the red.
    Work on a green week starts NOW!
This discussion has been closed.