Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #7: Have You Made An 📅Appointment📅 With Yourself?

Options
hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,213 Member
edited December 2023 in Social Groups
nqccf673obg9.png

When thinking about the 2024 Winter 5% Challenge, you must COMMIT to the changes that you plan to make and you must also commit to the Challenge itself. There are many ways to commit to the Challenge … but ~ the easiest and fastest way to make that commitment and to help ensure you start (and finish) the Challenge is to Make An Appointment With Yourself.

In researching this topic, I found that I’m not the only one that tries to ‘stay on track’ by adding this type of journey to a calendar. If you are anything like me, there is a ‘wall calendar’ that still adorns a part of my kitchen. On it, I carefully add birthdays and some important appointments, but I find that most of these are duplicated on a calendar that I carry with me. Years ago, I used to carry a smaller, purse-sized calendar and I would carefully record birthdays/anniversaries/appointments/vacations, etc. on it. Fast forward several years, almost everyone carries (and uses) a calendar by way of an ‘app’ that is on your cell phone. Why not add the 2024 Winter 5% Challenge as an event (or appointment) on whatever calendar program that you use?

One suggestion is to add the 2024 Winter 5% Challenge as a recurring event. One time per week is all that is really needed, but it will serve as a constant reminder that you are working toward a goal that has a beginning and an end. Not sure what to ‘calendar’? Here is a format that you can copy/use for your own purposes (or you can design your own format). First, consider color coding the Challenge to a color that makes it ‘stand out’ and is different from any/all of your other appointments. Next, decide how you want this appointment to show up on your calendar … following is an example of a weekly appointment (that shows up every Saturday during the Challenge with an additional entries highlighting the final day of the challenge and final weigh-in):
📅Title: 2024 Winter 5% Challenge (12/30/23 through 1/5/24 ~ our practice week and 01/06/24 - 03/15/24 ~ Final Weigh-In: 03/16/24-Saturday)

Practice week:
12/30/23 through 1/5/24

Week #1:
1/6/24 through 1/12/24

Week #2
1/13/24 through 1/19/24

Week #3
1/20/24 through 1/26/24

Week #4
1/27/24 through 2/2/24

Week #5
2/3/24 through 2/9/24

Week #6
2/10/24 through 2/16/24

Week #7
2/17/24 through 2/23/24

Week #8
2/24/24 through 3/1/24

Week #9
3/2/24 through 3/8/24

Week #10
3/9/24 through 3/15/24 **Final Weigh-In: 3/16/24**

This is not a unique idea as you can do an online search for something like: Planning a weight loss journey/calendar. You will find many ideas that deal with this idea. In previous topics we have discussed planning in many different ways, this exercise strives to keep you on track. A seasonal 5% challenge is 10 weeks. Each week = 7 days. 10
weeks X 7 days/week = 70 days in total. You CAN commit to 70 days (or 10 weeks) and making an appointment with yourself to ensure that you are present each and every day is so smart!

📓 Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #7: Have You Made An Appointment With Yourself?

💭Please think about the suggestions of this exercise and let everyone know that you have committed to the Challenge by making an appointment with yourself. In addition, please share your creative ways to remind yourself to show up!!

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2024 Winter 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Winter 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️Invitations to individual teams have been sent out. Members are packing their bags and getting their boarding passes so that they can join their individual team. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you. Once you have joined your individual team, please check your team's instructions, become familiar with them and get to know your leaders and team mates.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2024 WINTER 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activites (consider reading/participating in one or all of them)[/u]:
** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887289/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input-ℹ️#latest

** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/post/editdiscussion/10887403

**Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887514/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-3-meal-plan/p1?new=1

**Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #4: Exercise Plan
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887598/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-4-exercise-plan/p1?new=1

**Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #5: Mindful Eating vs. Emotional Eating
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887650/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-5-mindful-eating-vs-emotional-eating#latest

**Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #6: Starting Measurements with (optional) Before & After Photos
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887733/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-6-starting-measurements-with-optional-before-after-photos#latest

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• gouldsgranite
    gouldsgranite Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    @hicim705 - Thank you, Heidi! You shared the calendar/appointment idea with me a few challenges ago.
    Works like a charm! Love it.
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,036 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    My calendar is already marked with "eat" for specific times. My problem is remembering to eat, or I ignore the "I'm hungry" signals, or "I'm too busy." I've been at or below my WW goal weight for about 15 years, and my problem now is that I don't eat regularly. Because of that, I ended up in the hospital for half of August this year. We have to eat! Our body functions require it - not just our appetite. So don't go to the other extreme and ignore the signals to eat - that's not the way to lose weight. Just learn to eat what's healthy in the right proportions.
  • EclipsedAgain
    EclipsedAgain Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never thought of doing something like this. I'm sure it would work for a lot of people, but I know I'd end up turning off the notifications. I have too many as it is.
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,703 Member
    Options
    I check in everyday the times can be a problem for multi check ins
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have already put the Winter Challenge on my calendar for every Saturday. I plan to add to my "to do" list a reminder to check in with the challenge on a daily basis - that way if I get to the end of the day and haven't done it, I'll know! I like the suggestion of color coding it - I'm going to see if I can do that with my calendar!
  • Grannysue91
    Grannysue91 Posts: 4,645 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good idea and I just got my 2024 planner that fits in my purse so I am going to try this to see if it helps me. Thank you for this idea.
  • Tabatha_Cain
    Tabatha_Cain Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have been in these challenges for so long that I don't really need to set a calendar to get on and chat or post my weigh ins and stuff. What I need is a calendar to help me exercise every day at a certain time no matter what. That is what I have to do. It is something I lack and my exercise is all over the place. Sometimes in the evening or morning or during lunch if I have time.
  • vexedangel678
    vexedangel678 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a daily reminder on our Alexa to check-in on MFP at 5 PM. I'm moving it to 6 because I was ignoring it in the rush before dinner.

I just ordered a fitbit and am looking forward to exploring how to sync it with phone reminders and alarms, etc.

I think I will add at least one daily one to my work calendar--but I think I'll do it at different times each day to keep me on my toes.
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,798 Member
    Options
    I've been adding the Challenge Saturday Weigh-ins with alerts to my phone calendar since I first got serious about losing weight and getting healthy back in 2019. I really don't need the reminder anymore since I am the PS4L Baggage Handler, Weigh-In Leader I better remember. I do use the alert to remind me to post my weight on my calendar though. I also have an alert on my fitbit to remind me to get up and move every hour between 9am-9pm and one to let me know it's approaching bedtime. I usually ignore the bedtime reminder so maybe this challenge I'll work on that.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    Got reminders set on "smart watch"..
    Me, myself and I ..check in with each other every day!!
    yeah gotta listen to the bedtime reminder better..nod head yes and then "forgetta bout it!!
  • Retired_Sue
    Retired_Sue Posts: 11,061 Member
    Options
    As a leader with responsibilities, I do check in daily and I have a set routine for getting in my daily exercise (with an alternate plan in place in the event that I sleep in or something else interferes).
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,798 Member
    Options
    Reminders:
    I've been adding the Challenge Saturday Weigh-ins with alerts to my phone calendar since 2019 when I first got serious about losing weight and getting healthy. I really don't need the reminder anymore since I am the PS4L Baggage Handler (Weigh-In Leader), I better remember.

I do use the alert to remind me to post my weight on my calendar though. I also have an alert on my fitbit to remind me to get up and move every hour between 9am-9pm and one to let me know it's approaching bedtime. I usually ignore the bedtime reminder so maybe this challenge I'll work on paying more attention to it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I usually check in after dinner, before I get ready for the evening & after I tidy up the kitchen, wash my face & put on my lounge clothes. I really do need to work on scheduling my strength training at home workout, it's a newer habit so it's been challenging to find the right time to fit it into my routine. I spend couple hours outdoors in the mornings, eat lunch after & get a bit tired & start on dinner (I don't like cooking in the evenings so I start early) then do some routine household chores & any errands that need to be done like grocery shopping or another walk if the weather permits so I want to find the time. I'm going to try it after lunch..I get so sidetracked . I need to focus
  • sushynes
    sushynes Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good about checking in every day or every other day. I've missed a few times over the years and usually email someone if I'm going to be missing more than a couple days. I will be even more mindful of my appointment times each day after exercising and food tracking, I usually enter in my time and activity.
  • hicim705
    Options
    📓 Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #7: Have You Made An Appointment With Yourself?

💭Please think about the suggestions of this exercise and let everyone know that you have committed to the Challenge by making an appointment with yourself. In addition, please share your creative ways to remind yourself to show up!!
    ==============================================================
    This is a Challenge that I wrote **AND** I make sure that I have the weeks marked on my Google Calendar. I really believe that this is one of those things that once you try it, it becomes a habit as it is GREAT to see where you stared, where you are going and how far you need to go to finish the **task at hand**. GOOD LUCK, ALL!!

Heidi (hicim705)
    2024 Winter 5% Challenge ~ Captain 🔴🌡️RED HOTS🌡️🔴
    Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges
    Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges ~ ✍️🖊️📓💻Bloggers✍️🖊️📓💻!!

Co-Leader, In Between Leader Team for the 5% Challenge
    Co-Leader, In-Between Challenges (IBC) 🐦🔥Phoenix Team🐦🔥
  • hicim705
    Options
    Wow, I never thought of doing something like this. I'm sure it would work for a lot of people, but I know I'd end up turning off the notifications. I have too many as it is.

@EclipsedAgain - Although doing this WITH notifications is a great idea, I do it without. I don't turn on notifications but I'm constantly adding things to my calendar and **that** is how I'm reminded. I also know it is there so I can look at any time I need to. I add it once/week so it is not taking up space on my calendar EVERY day.

Heidi (hicim705)

• hicim705
    Options
    I have been in these challenges for so long that I don't really need to set a calendar to get on and chat or post my weigh ins and stuff. What I need is a calendar to help me exercise every day at a certain time no matter what. That is what I have to do. It is something I lack and my exercise is all over the place. Sometimes in the evening or morning or during lunch if I have time.

@Tabatha_Cain - perhaps you can adapt this **idea** to schedule those workouts!! Just a thought. . .

Heidi (hicim705)

• 130StrongerEachYear
    130StrongerEachYear Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Definitely have made both an appointment with myself and a commitment to myself to take good care of my body. I learned from a 4 day weekend over New Years, where I ate lots of breads, and carbs that just those 4 days added 6 pounds and an inch to my waist and hips. That is crazy. It takes 6 weeks to lose 6 pounds and 4 days to gain them. It takes 6 weeks to lose an inch off my waist and hips and 4 days to add them back. Lesson learned. My body does not burn carbs as successfully as it burns fats and proteins. My life time plan will be long term Keto with 18:6 Intermittent Fasting with almost no exceptions.
  • Kateljm
    Kateljm Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I'll give it a try, I set appointments for Chat, WI, and Measurements.