Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options
1307308309310311313»

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,669 Member
    edited May 11
    Options
    Yooly - that is what I thought PAV was buying at 7-11 - Mojitos - and I think of that as a drink - lots of lime and mint and rum :) but I don't think they have them at 7-11. Can't find it online? It's a mystery we have to wait for PAV to unravel :) Precut fruit is probably better than the other 7-11 options which we shall not name :)

Most recent egg foo young included: red pepper, green pepper, celery, yellow onion, thin potato slices (so they would cook quickly), bean sprouts and crumbled tofu (a first on the tofu front - VERY GOOD) cook with some sesame oil and sprinkled with soya sauce and sriracha. It doesn't look great - because of the quantity of veggies it doesn't stick together well - but it is sooo good :) I usually make enough for several meals so the effort feels worth while. It reheats well.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222989/mojo-french-fries/

From a previous trip... (Btw not recommended for calories I mean seriously easy to eat!)

knwi9hwr2ud5.jpg

And the cut fruit is excellent considering the alternative.

The cinnamon bun 30 minutes later not as much 🤯 at least I stopped at that so not as bad as it could have gone

• PAV8888
    edited May 12
    Options
    Well so far today since waking I've scarfed da coffee, a 115g bag of loaded baked potato flavor instant mash almost half of a bag of green beans and similarly for one of cauliflower and onion (the green giant haul) reserving the remainder for later

Oiler girl's dinner sounded pretty awesome. At least they won't sweep the Canucks!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Never heard of this kind of "mojo" - will not try them. They look too good :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    They're wedges Laurie🤷‍♂️😱🧐
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Well so far today since waking I've scarfed da coffee, a 115g bag of loaded baked potato flavor instant mash almost half of a bag of green beans and similarly for one of cauliflower and onion (the green giant haul) reserving the remainder for later

Oiler girl's dinner sounded pretty awesome. At least they won't sweep the Canucks!

It was quite delicious. I put up 1/3 of the steak (cooked rare) and 1/4 of the mushrooms and onions (my daughter ate the other quarter). I plan to use them for my lunch tomorrow scrambled with an egg and shredded low-fat Cheddar.

Dinner tomorrow night is a teriyaki pork Tenderloin, fried rice (which I won't eat) and some mix of stir fried veggies.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You PRE planned BOTH lunch AND dinner for TOMORROW! You ROCK! :smiley:

I had the rest of my veggies and 0%-greek (565g), 128g fruit salad cup, 4g cocoa and 0.5g sucralose drops...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    They're wedges Laurie🤷‍♂️😱🧐

exactly - there - just for the eating!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Ended up making the stir fry out of a bag of broccoli slaw (broccoli florets, shredded broccoli stalks, cauliflower pearls and shredded carrot and red cabbage), one shallot, some more shredded carrot, half an orange bell pepper, garlic toasted sesame oil, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Was so good.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Broccoli slaw is awesome though it sounds like YOUR broccoli slaw is even more awesome than ours since we don't get florets and pearls!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Might have to pick up some broccoli slaw - that could be a fine base for egg foo young :) (my current obsession)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Might have to pick up some broccoli slaw - that could be a fine base for egg foo young :) (my current obsession)

I actually think it would make a fantastic base for egg Foo young.
  • PAV8888
    edited May 16
    Options
    Not a thing of beauty... but quick and dirty :smiley:

So earlier today had done up a couple of pouches: a cauliflower onion restaurant side (350g) and a veggie rice one (355g of cauli and traces of other veggies--they were both on the slight overfill side: yeah!) and a couple of them yves patties (at 160 Cal each they're not a bargain but I do have to finish the box someday!)....

and, of course... I had some veggie left overs from lunch (about 1/3 I would eyeball) that I had thrown into a single glasslock container!

So what to do?

I upended about 205g of egg whites out of the carton and into the glass lock. Gave it all a good stir :wink: and shoved it in the microwave till it cried uncle!

With some selective extra seasoning... not half bad actually and the whole thing was ready in less than 5 minutes--a major plus, of course! And awesome calories... allowing for not one but TWO choco-cough cough cough--thingies but I digress.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Tonight is ham steak and scalloped potatoes from a box kit.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you’ve gotten past the digestive problems Nic. Happy eating- in moderation of course. 😁
  • PAV8888
    edited May 16
    Options
    Wuz thinking that! 👍 Now how do you make the potatoes? Per kit? With butter and cream? Do you trade off and substitute?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    On the mechanics when you feel up to it nic.... I sometimes have wondered

So surgery reduces stomach size. By what percentage? For how long? After initial period of selecting foods to allow for healing, what is the long term plan? Reduced quantities? Selection of food that is calorically balanced? On the fly adjustments of intake based on results? 🤷‍♂️
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Wuz thinking that! 👍 Now how do you make the potatoes? Per kit? With butter and cream? Do you trade off and substitute?

The box calls for 3/4 cup milk and 1.5 cups water and 1tbsp butter. I use 1.25 cups fairlife (ultra pasteurized higher protein milk), 1 cup of water and 2tbsp butter. It ups the protein and creaminess a bit.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    On the mechanics when you feel up to it nic.... I sometimes have wondered

So surgery reduces stomach size. By what percentage? For how long? After initial period of selecting foods to allow for healing, what is the long term plan? Reduced quantities? Selection of food that is calorically balanced? On the fly adjustments of intake based on results? 🤷‍♂️

So they cut out roughly 80% of my stomach. This does a couple things: physically limits how much you can consume at one time, and also, for many people, wildly decreases the hormones which affect hunger (leptin and ghrelin) during the post-surgical period. Most (not not all) people experience little to no appetite for at least the first 3 months after surgery.

I personally am 6 months out and still don't experience hunger, though thirst is definitely a thing.

With the reduced size of the stomach, you actually experience physical signs if your "pouch" (reduced stomach) gets too full. For me, my nose starts to run and I can get hiccups.

If I drink too fast, I will sneeze.

The long term plan is to keep focusing on protein and weight loss, u til I hit goal weight (I have a range in mind but will have to see). The goal is to get all or as close as possible to it of the needed weight off in the first year. Then you gradually basically reverse diet, still focusing on protein, back up to maintenance calories.

It is 100% possible to screw it up. Eating consistently past your physical cues will eventually lead to stretching of the pouch cand weight regain. When they talk about WLS "failing" it is pretty much always that.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I was sort of wondering if people add small volume high calories food to increase calories (either because hungry or at goal) and then overdo it when the pouch stretches over time... or because the high value food is too yummy... and they keep adding more.

Funny: I have always sneezed when I've over-eaten but usually it is associated with high volume AND high sugar content too. Would love to get a glucose meter and test myself when I get the "nose feels stuffy all of a sudden and I am going into an uncontrolled sneezing fit for several minutes!"