Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2024

Options

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Hello Shape Shifters! I’m looking forward to getting to know our new group members a bit better — welcome!

I’m Patrice — a soon-to-be 58 year old woman living in northern Virginia, just outside Washington, DC in the USA. I’ve been married for 34 years; my husband and I have two adult children, ages 22 and 23. They are both in college, living near their university campuses most of the year, but they visit during their holiday and summer breaks from school.

I’ve been using MFP since December 2019, and started tracking my calories more diligently during the early days of COVID, when public spaces closed. At the time, I led a very full life as a working mother with many community volunteer positions and responsibilities. Work was still busy because I started my own business around that time, and all my education and health clients needed to move from in-person service delivery to online learning and Telehealth. However, I eliminated most volunteer activities and concentrated on my health.

My weight had gradually increased over the years, and I had moved into the overweight BMI category at 168 pounds, so I was especially motivated to become healthier in case I caught the coronavirus. At the time there was no vaccine so a healthy weight was important to survival. I was able to move into the ‘normal’ BMI range by 2021 and joined the F2F challenge group in June 2021 at about 135 pounds. As expected, it was taking longer to lose the last 10 pounds as I moved closer to my goal. So, this group helped me stay accountable and gave me the encouragement I needed to reach my goal of 125 pounds — that was around the end of September 2021.

I maintained my target weight of 125-130 for a year but gradually started gaining pounds as I focused on improving other areas of my life — like decluttering/ downsizing now that we are getting closer to becoming ‘empty nesters’ and strengthening my new business. There’s still so much to learn about business development and navigating life transitions! Now, it’s been two years since I began straying from my target weight, and I have about 15 pounds to lose. My current goal is to lose 2 pounds by the end of July.

Slow and steady works best for me for long-term weight loss. It always helps me when I sleep well so I’ll concentrate on getting 7-8 hours of sleep, increasing my body weight exercises, and tracking my calories better. I’d like to row more but the coach had to change days so I’m going to rearrange my schedule to match the new days. It will take a little while until I can make the new day work. Best wishes with the new month, Shape Shifters. It’s a clean slate so let’s make it a good one.

• looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Steps
    Sun 6/30 10,090
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A quick intro as I recently returned to the group after taking a break. I'm Val, live in Canada and recently hit my highest weight ever. I also feel like I'm the most active I've ever been, and during my break I trained for and ran my first ever half marathon in May 2024. During that time I also ate ad libitum so not surprised I packed on the pounds.

I'm currently back on the bandwagon with basic food tracking and a calorie deficit, but of course I'm chasing the elusive "change my relationship with food" goal so I can ensure long term success. I'm an emotional eater, a binge-y eater, a secret-eat-in-my-car eater so I do alot of mental mindset work trying to figure out what can work for me. I don't post super often, but this is what I mostly talk about here on MFP and this chat. It really helps me to hear what others are going through and how you're changing your food habits. Wish you all much success!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    The daily card:
    The next time you're having a conversation with someone, just listen. Too often, a so-called conversation is actually two monologues, with each person just waiting for the other to finish. There are a few things as generous as listening deeply to a friend-listening with your whole mind and whole body, receiving their words and thoughts with your complete presence.

i9uhgmr8f5mj.jpg
  • Selena280
    Selena280 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Selena280
    (Monday) Weigh-in
    PW: 291.6 (previous weight)
    CW: 291.6(current weight)
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,255 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a decent Monday...mine was busy, but not bad at all. Temps were only in the 70s today...SO NICE!! Will be that way until Thursday! Looking forward to the break, but anything above 70 makes me happy!! :smile:

Tuesday...is just a few hours away! Make it awesome!!!
    Jessica
  • kkay2345
    kkay2345 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    kkay2345
    Sunday
    PW: 183
    CW: 184.8
  • lolakinks
    lolakinks Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Lolakinks
    Tuesday
    PW: 104.4 kg (230.1 lbs)
    CW: 104.1 kg (229.5 lbs)
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Steps
    Monday 7/1 9,041
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2
    Options
    Monday steps

I may fall offline for a few days. With my daughter+3 in WV for a few days. And while there is coal in them thar hills, interwebs and cell service not so much. 😂
  • Pupowl
    Options
    @DaffyGirl88 No worries, hope you have a good time! We need your stepgoal for July and we don't have your steps for Sunday.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    @DaffyGirl88 - Enjoy the break! I was sorry to hear you had to shorten your visit with your son and deal with the water emergency at your house. I hope the damage wasn't too extensive and the insurance claim and renovation processes go smoothly.

We had a similar experience at our house, and I know how difficult it can be to identify all the places it goes/ flows. I’ve heard so many stories from friends, neighbors, and colleagues who faced this kind of unexpected water mishap. It’s such a pain to deal with the clean up and tasks. I hope you end up happy with the updates once the repairs are complete!

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy the family time in WV!
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    JenHul
    Monday weigh in
    PW:125
    CW:125.5

Steps:
    June 28= 6550
    June 29= 10,591
    June 30= 6642

I will not be joining the step challenge for the month of July as I will be away camping for most of it. I will post and check in when I can, but not regular enough to post every couple of days, so I'll join step challenge next month.

Have a great day everyone!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,496 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Sun 6/30: 10,129
    Mon 7/1: 11,986
  • Pupowl
    Options
    Tuesday ~ July 02
    [ Sleep 8+ hours ] ~ :star: 8h 56m / 83 score
    [ Naturewalk ] ~ :star: 62 minutes
    [ <1400 cal ] ~ :star: 1262
    Musings of the day:
    Today was not an easy day, but I did make it a good one. I woke up with a pretty bad headache and there was some rain predicted. I went for my walk anyway and I made it home just before the rain started. I had a very hungry day which was a little annoying and I also had to go to the store again. Getting groceries is the most difficult part about weight loss in my opinion. It is so easy to just grab chocolate, cookies, chips etc. Several times I had things in my hands that I knew would be a really bad idea. I managed to put all of them down again! I was really proud of myself for that. I am doing my best to be more positive in that area as well. It can get really depressing to go for groceries when you only focus and see things that make you go "I can't have that". Instead I am trying to really lean into how good it feels to make it out of the store with only the things on my list. I will also make sure to fit in small treats every now and then so there are "I can have this!" moments as well. Since I need fresh salads, carrots and the burrito is made by the bakery, I need to go the stores quite often. It is also from two different stores which means double the temptation. I am sure it will get easier to deal with the more successes I have, but for now it is a bit of a pain. Anyway, I am glad I made it through the day hitting my 3 main goals.
  • Pupowl
    Options
    The daily card:
    ay2hadxpas19.jpg
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Please could I be added to the July Step Challenge,target 15,000 steps.
    .My favourite places to walk in the Summer are in my local park,along the canal walkways & if its raining around my town & the shopping centres.
    My steps so far,
    6/30 18,212
    7/1 15,050