Blood Glucose Meters

124»

Replies

• emt4jesus
    emt4jesus Posts: 15 Member
    To all those using the Libre FreeStyle monitors: I too had trouble with the sensors until I found the Sugar Patch. I've used the patch for over six months now with no sensor issues. The previous six months I had issues with four of the sensors. The patch lasts 7 to 10 days depending how active you are. You can get them on Amazon.
  • Diabeticdiva69
    Diabeticdiva69 Posts: 4 Member
    I use the Walgreens meter and it is a great one it's also the one my insurance pays for been using it for 6 yrs and it is accurate
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,624 Member
    I use the Walgreens meter and it is a great one it's also the one my insurance pays for been using it for 6 yrs and it is accurate

Pretty much if it predicts your A1C reasonably well, I figure you are good...
  • tinaBawesome
    tinaBawesome Posts: 92 Member
    Ugh...Super frustrated here. How many times does it take to get this right? I bought a Compact ReliOn Blood Glucose Monitoring System kit from Walmart, a few weeks ago. I just tried it this morning (I know, procrastinator.) and tried 3 times without success. First time, not enough blood. Second time, I got the Error signal. Third time, a little more blood and the darn unit still didn't pick it up. So there goes 3 Lancets already and the kit only came with 10. There's 50 strips, so I'm ok there, but Is there a more Worthwhile kit that works Better? * I know someone had suggested to me, a Bayer kit I think...
    I think I need to join a Diabetes class for Dummies at this rate. 🤦‍♀️
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Ugh...Super frustrated here. How many times does it take to get this right? I bought a Compact ReliOn Blood Glucose Monitoring System kit from Walmart, a few weeks ago. I just tried it this morning (I know, procrastinator.) and tried 3 times without success. First time, not enough blood. Second time, I got the Error signal. Third time, a little more blood and the darn unit still didn't pick it up. So there goes 3 Lancets already and the kit only came with 10. There's 50 strips, so I'm ok there, but Is there a more Worthwhile kit that works Better? * I know someone had suggested to me, a Bayer kit I think...

Sorry to take so long getting back, I wrote a post this morning but lost it and then had to go to work!

Chances are good you are pretty dehydrated right now with the high blood glucose, and it can be hard to get a good stick in those circumstances. When I was diagnosed my fingertips were so dry that even the nurse had a hard time getting a good blood drop! You will get the hang of it.

First tip, you don’t need a new lancet for every stick. Dr Bernstein who is a notable diabetic educator suggests using the same lancet until you start to notice it being less sharp - he uses his for a month! I don’t use mine that long but you don’t need to worry about infection, it’s your own blood and you can’t catch anything from yourself. Of course medical professionals will tell you always use a new lancet but in practice I don’t think anyone does, and Bernstein says he has never seen a finger infected from someone reusing their own lancet in 50 years of practice. You for sure don’t need to use a new one when you are trying repeated sticks in the same session.

Everyone’s fingers are a little different but I get a better drop of blood by sticking the outside edge of my middle fingertip, not right in the middle. You don’t want to squeeze your fingertip to try to get blood out, but if you sort of massage your finger lower down so it opens up a little, it bleeds more. Gross I know! Also, try hanging down and shaking your hand to get blood to your fingertips before sticking. Get a nice big drop and the strip should suck it up like a straw.

My meter is the Bayer Contour Next, and I got it as part of a kit on Amazon for about $40 I think, but Walgreens also tends to have starter kits cheap in store, if you need one fast. Walgreens has the strips for a lot more money than Amazon though.

Do you have someone in your household who can help you until you get comfortable doing it? When you are nervous it can be hard to do. I had my husband help me for two weeks before I got used to it, so don’t feel embarrassed. You’re not a dummy, this is a lot to learn.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,976 Member

Sorry to take so long getting back, I wrote a post this morning but lost it and then had to go to work!

Chances are good you are pretty dehydrated right now with the high blood glucose, and it can be hard to get a good stick in those circumstances. When I was diagnosed my fingertips were so dry that even the nurse had a hard time getting a good blood drop! You will get the hang of it.

First tip, you don’t need a new lancet for every stick. Dr Bernstein who is a notable diabetic educator suggests using the same lancet until you start to notice it being less sharp - he uses his for a month! I don’t use mine that long but you don’t need to worry about infection, it’s your own blood and you can’t catch anything from yourself. Of course medical professionals will tell you always use a new lancet but in practice I don’t think anyone does, and Bernstein says he has never seen a finger infected from someone reusing their own lancet in 50 years of practice. You for sure don’t need to use a new one when you are trying repeated sticks in the same session.

Everyone’s fingers are a little different but I get a better drop of blood by sticking the outside edge of my middle fingertip, not right in the middle. You don’t want to squeeze your fingertip to try to get blood out, but if you sort of massage your finger lower down so it opens up a little, it bleeds more. Gross I know! Also, try hanging down and shaking your hand to get blood to your fingertips before sticking. Get a nice big drop and the strip should suck it up like a straw.

My meter is the Bayer Contour Next, and I got it as part of a kit on Amazon for about $40 I think, but Walgreens also tends to have starter kits cheap in store, if you need one fast. Walgreens has the strips for a lot more money than Amazon though.

Do you have someone in your household who can help you until you get comfortable doing it? When you are nervous it can be hard to do. I had my husband help me for two weeks before I got used to it, so don’t feel embarrassed. You’re not a dummy, this is a lot to learn.

Very good advice.
    Also? Make sure your hands are warm and clean.

It takes a few days to get used to it. But you will. And it will get to be easy-ish. I promise.

As for lancets? We replace my husband’s every night after he goes to bed. And I change mine about every five days. Whenever it feels less like a prick and more like a punch. 😂
    Less plastic in the waste stream that way.
  • 2t9nty
    FWIW, I will rub my hands together to warm them up a little and get the blood flowing before the finger stick.
  • mypixiedesigns
    mypixiedesigns Posts: 26 Member
    Anyone using continuous glucose monitors like Freestyle Libre, Libre 2, or Libre 3? Long term thoughts?

My insurance doesn’t cover them because I’m not on insulin (yet) but since my sugars are problematic I was prescribed the CGM.
  • 2t9nty
    edited January 2023
    I claim that most recently diagnosed T2 diabetics would learn a lot about BG management if they were routinely prescribed one until the numbers got sorted using whatever means. I have never had one, but I am curious to know what my BG is doing at night.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    I have a One-Touch Ultra 2 and since the a.m. fasting number on the day I had my blood drawn fasting in the same day was the same number, I'm figuring it's fairly accurate. I've had it for several years and much of that time it has been ignored in a drawer. Still-in-all, when I haul it out of the drawer it works. I just opened the battery door and given that the two batteries are Energizer and I don't know what brand came with it, I can't remember if I ever changed the batteries or not. Over several years, perhaps I have. An easy to open battery door with tabs under the batteries to make them easy to lift.
  • 2t9nty
    Sounds like a good meter. Had the strips been in that drawer too?
  • 802Lundgren
    802Lundgren Posts: 10 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I claim that most recently diagnosed T2 diabetics would learn a lot about BG management if they were routinely prescribed one until the numbers got sorted using whatever means. I have never had one, but I am curious to know what my BG is doing at night.

This is exactly what I told my Diabetes nurse. If it is so expensive take it back after 6month or so. I remember one day I took 8 samples and the next day 6samples because I couldnt figure it out.

Im using an Accu-chek Instant meter with bluetooth, connected to Mysugr app in my phone, very convenient. Also have their test strips and a FastClix with i think 6 lancettes in a cartridge. I have like a year of supply and an extra meter and FastClix.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,976 Member
    edited June 14
    News:FDA has approved an over the counter CGM

This is likely to be big news in the fitness community. People who want to “biohack” their diet and exercise will be very interested in this. Especially if they can afford the estimated $100 a month.

Stelo is a wearable glucose biosensor designed for people living with type 2 diabetes not on insulin, and the first OTC CGM available without prescription.

https://www.dexcom.com/stelo?sfc=7014y000000zbBPAAY&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1K-zBhBIEiwAWeCOFx0yIp-PIfQclauCMdnOXKPdrFLKkBiyx3WzrmavOSi5gOw294oWDBoCuBoQAvD_BwE
  • 2t9nty
    News:FDA has approved an over the counter CGM

This is likely to be big news in the fitness community. People who want to “biohack” their diet and exercise will be very interested in this. Especially if they can afford the estimated $100 a month.

Stelo is a wearable glucose biosensor designed for people living with type 2 diabetes not on insulin, and the first OTC CGM available without prescription.

https://www.dexcom.com/stelo?sfc=7014y000000zbBPAAY&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1K-zBhBIEiwAWeCOFx0yIp-PIfQclauCMdnOXKPdrFLKkBiyx3WzrmavOSi5gOw294oWDBoCuBoQAvD_BwE

Interesting - I think a continuous monitor of this sort would be really important for new diabetics to figure out just what is going on and how their body is responding.
  • michaelpacocha
    michaelpacocha Posts: 5 Member
    I'm using the freestyle Libre 3 and it's great when it works. I've lost the signal on about half of them. I work at home behind a desk so crazy activity isn't it. Frustrating