Anyone on Atkins (old version)

ondogirl
ondogirl Posts: 69 Member
I am just curious if some people still follow the old version of Atkins? I lost 50lbs in like 3 months when I was 20. It was super impressive! Now that I am low-carbing again, I see that the rules have changed a lot. Any thoughts?

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    I like to stick to the version I learned in 2000. I'm a firm believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it
  • Yes, I stay pretty much on the "old Atkins". I find it a healthy and energetic way of living. :smile:
  • punkinbaby1
    punkinbaby1 Posts: 36 Member
    what is the difference between them? i just go by what i have read on all the web pgs of here and atkins. keep carb at 40 or below. Healthy fats and high fiber.
  • dittiepe
    what is the difference between them? i just go by what i have read on all the web pgs of here and atkins. keep carb at 40 or below. Healthy fats and high fiber.

The "new" Atkins is a little more liberal than the old.
    You know, I've also found this with the South beach Diet. That made me so sad. They just put out their new protein bars, which I used to LOVE. Now they're packed full of sugar :( I'm so upset by that! lol
  • I'm doing the new Atkins for the first time & have lost 4 pounds since Tuesday! Its the only diet that i've actually lost weight on & i feel i can stick too! Would doing the Old version be even better? Or should i just keep going on this one?
  • dittiepe
    I'm doing the new Atkins for the first time & have lost 4 pounds since Tuesday! Its the only diet that i've actually lost weight on & i feel i can stick too! Would doing the Old version be even better? Or should i just keep going on this one?

Nah, if the new one is working for you, stick with it! And great job :)
  • ondogirl
    I'm doing the new Atkins for the first time & have lost 4 pounds since Tuesday! Its the only diet that i've actually lost weight on & i feel i can stick too! Would doing the Old version be even better? Or should i just keep going on this one?

I agree, that's great! Keep up the good work.
  • ondogirl
    I guess the whole net carbs thing is the biggest difference I could tell, also you are allowed a wider variety of vegetables they allow us on the updated Atkins diet. The 1972 version of the diet was a lot stricter during induction too. I am losing at a pretty normal rate - 9lbs in a month ain't bad... Still got a long way to go so I will be on induction awhile.
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    I think I learned the old Atkins too, and try to follow that information... which also includes the "lost Fat Fast" info. (which I may need to try to get me into ketosis at some point soon)

The hard part for me is trying to avoid any processed foods, just because of not planning ahead enough (ie.. bars fro breakfast instead of reheating a mini quiche or scrampled egg pack...) THAT proves hard in my schedule, which I admit if I planned more I could do it.
  • MTBrowneyedgirl
    MTBrowneyedgirl Posts: 3 Member
    I started nov. 1st and have lost 5 lbs...my husband has lost 7. We are still in the 2 week induction phase and I need ideas of what to eat. We are eating lots of eggs, meat and cheese. I've only had one diet pop in that timeframe too. I heard that you should give up diet pop as your body tries to process it as if it were sugar? Any good tips on adding other things to our meals? Thanks!
  • dittiepe
    I started nov. 1st and have lost 5 lbs...my husband has lost 7. We are still in the 2 week induction phase and I need ideas of what to eat. We are eating lots of eggs, meat and cheese. I've only had one diet pop in that timeframe too. I heard that you should give up diet pop as your body tries to process it as if it were sugar? Any good tips on adding other things to our meals? Thanks!

Shameless recipe website plug in my ticker below! All are low carb, and several are from fellow MFP low carbers too :)

My suggestion would be to keep off the diet soda at least for induction. Longer if you can. It's just not good for you in general. That being said, I have one occasionally too as a treat.

Remember that you can have, and should have, green veggies. Salads, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and so on. Lots of options. I even have a wonderful recipe for egg plant on the site :)

Enjoy and best of luck!
  • MTBrowneyedgirl
    MTBrowneyedgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks!
  • Reinforce your knowledge. Read Gary Taube's "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" and/or "Good Calories, Bad Calories". It will help connect the dots between the diet and the science.
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    I am back on atkins old atkins....so far so good....calorie counting was just not working for me...
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Original Atkins 1972 all the way! No Frakenfood....

(well, when I was going by the atkins guidelines)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member

The old Atkins plans was written by Dr Atkins himself and was focused on eating WHOLE foods and only using minimal products when it was an emergency (like nothing acceptable around).

The New Atkins written by Atkins Nutritional Corporation is more liberal with how the foods are added back in and promote the products more and more.
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member

The old Atkins plans was written by Dr Atkins himself and was focused on eating WHOLE foods and only using minimal products when it was an emergency (like nothing acceptable around).

The New Atkins written by Atkins Nutritional Corporation is more liberal with how the foods are added back in and promote the products more and more.

Amen and Amen to that! I go by the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule: Fresh & Natural as much as possible. This is helping me to retrain my tastebuds and in the process curb my carb cravings and binges. The key is there are several options in the low-carb arsenal for us to choose from. I know a low-carb lifestyle works for me so I keep learning and experiment so as not to be bored and to make sure I keep losing weight and staying healthy. Good luck and stay connected.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    After a month or so off low carbing (various reasons) I'm starting back on old Atkins Induction tomorrow :-))
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    I just started back on Atkins yesterday, and I pretty much follow "old" Atkins. I eat very few veggies in the first few weeks, and I try to stay under 20 carbs a day. It worked for me back in the day, so I'm going with it! :-)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member

Amen and Amen to that! I go by the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule: Fresh & Natural as much as possible. This is helping me to retrain my tastebuds and in the process curb my carb cravings and binges. The key is there are several options in the low-carb arsenal for us to choose from. I know a low-carb lifestyle works for me so I keep learning and experiment so as not to be bored and to make sure I keep losing weight and staying healthy. Good luck and stay connected.

You are doing awesome!! Keep it up as your taste buds change and you eat something that you are normally eating now, it will most likely taste so gross to you. This helps to keep par to the course and your eyes on the prize!!