Surgery date getting closer

risskie
risskie Posts: 203 Member
Anyone closing in on their surgery date? I have nearly completed all the tasks needed to confirm my surgery date. I have one last nutritionist apt, get a chest xray, and last meeting with the surgeon. I haven't been weighed in nearly a month but at last weigh in I had lost 25lbs. Need to have lost 30+ to get my final date. :happy:

Replies

• I just had my surgery last week. Good luck I promise it flies by! I hope you make your goal and good for you for loosing so much before surgery!
  • risskie
    So many questions, so little time!!! Did you have to drink 'Unjury' before the surgery?
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Hi yall! My surgery date is Dec 12th, so close but it feels like time is ticking away sllloooowly! Im having the RNY gastric bypass. I had lap band surgery 7/2008 and needless to say it wasn't for me.

Good luck to the group! Cant wait to see before/after photos from everyone!
  • risskie
    WOWOWOWOW..... that day is inching closer. B.O.L. in your prep for that day. Do you have to go on that 'liquid' protein diet for two weeks before? Interested in knowing how you are feeling as you approach that day.:smile:
  • Hey all , My name is Emmy and I had the Gastric bypass over 3 years ago My highest was 270, my lowest was 125 , i recently went from 144 and now im back down to 127 with the help of the gym and my fitness pal. =)
  • Hello everyone,
    My name is Angela and I had my Lap-Band Surgery on May 18th, 2009 and it has changed my life. In no way is this an easy way out though, but it does help.. a lot, once you commit to a lifestyle change. My starting weight before my surgery was 310lbs, and I didn't want to commit to it, so I stayed the same weight. Then, just recently I started working on it, and I have went from 310lbs to 239.5lbs in 11 months. I hope everyones surgery goes well!
  • No I didn't have a special diet before surgery. Seems each doctor is different on this. I am mid two weeks full liquid diet and on wed I get purrees for two weeks
  • risskie
    Hey just got my tentative date - 1/9. Two weeks before I start something called Unjury - a medical quality protein supplement powder. I have been looking for places to get it by prescription so insurance pays for it. NO WHERE sells it. I have to order it direct from the company $$$! That's a racket! Wish there was another option.:grumble:
  • jlgilman
    jlgilman Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. I am working through the requirements of the Bariatric Weight Loss program myself. I am having a difficult time deciding whether to do the gastric sleeve or the bypass. I have been leaning towards the sleeve, but I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in January (controlled solely by diet at this time), and I read that a medical study showed that bypass could cure diabetes. I want to talk to the surgeon more about that study before I make a decision. I have lost 13 of the 14 lbs that I need to meet with him/her. My next weigh-in is on Monday, and so I am hoping I can lose at least one or two more pounds by then. The surgery option makes me a bit scared, but I want to do it to be around for a long time for my young daughter and for my overall health.
  • risskie
    Hi, glad to read about your prep for surgery. I went through that same dilemma. I made the choice of bypass due to my need to grab my weight problem by the throat and lose the weight faster than lap band. I need to get back to work. I used to be very athletic, but after my daughter was born (now 23 years ago), I slowly ate myself out of an active life and a job. I want to regain both, the faster the better.... with little chance of regaining it (hoping not to fall back into this weight debacle all over again). That's how I made my decision. My suggestion is to look over everything in your life and prioritize. Then put in your goal and how fast you want to attain it. If slow and steady fits your lifestyle - lap band sounds like the right way to go. Good luck with your decision. :happy:
  • flesher1
    flesher1 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi I'm new here, but yes, my lap band surgery is Tuesday Nov 22nd, nervous but excited!!
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    my surgeon put me on the special diet 2 weeks prior... i start the monday after thanksgiving.

i would like to add that I did have lap band surgery on july 3, 2008. needless to say, it didnt work for me. i do eat incredibly smaller portions than what i did presurgery, but my body did not respond with much weight loss. I lost a total of 20 pounds in the six months following surgery (just enough to give my fertility a jumpstart.... and then my youngest surprised us! lol!) Looking at my food journal, my track record with my trainer and at the gym, you would assume that I am exceptionally smaller than i am. To those of you who are choosing the band, please know that you still must track everything you eat and you must must must work out! that was not told to me prior to surgery. I assumed that like other gastric type surgeries, the weight would fall off. it just didnt. oh! and try to avoid soft breads and rice... those make me throw up still to this day!

anyway, long story short, i have a new surgeon who is more experienced than my first surgeon. he said that i could take any protein power as long as it had more than 20 grams of protein and was around 100 calories. i have used jay robbs protein powder in the past and have started incorporating it back into my diet. As much as I love a good chocolate protein shake, the two weeks of breakfast & lunch shakes is going to get old =/
  • Hi everyone - I am excited to join this group so that I can share with other people who are going through similar experiences. I am just over a week to my surgery date (Monday, Dec. 5th :-) - Yeah!!. I'm on my 2 week pre-op liver shrinking diet and am using the Unjury protein powder. I've seen some comments on other brands but this one was highly recommended by my surgeon and nutritionist. Since I want to do everything possible to make sure things go as smoothly as possible, I am following their plan down to the letter.

Has anyone else that is using Unjury found a really yummy way to get it in? I have to say the chicken flavor is quite good, don't mind the unflavored mixed in with sugar-free Jello, and have used the classic chocolate in sugar-free chocolate pudding and with skim milk and ice to make shakes. I have to get 4 scoops per day in and would like to find another way. I'm able to have applesauce, Dannon Light & Fit yogurt, low-fat cream soups, V-8 juice, oatmeal, and low-fat cottage cheese but am finding by the time I get my 4 servings of Unjury in, that I am too full to eat much else. I'm not complaining, however, because with so few calories and nothing solid, I would have thought I'd be really hungry.

I'm anxious to hear other's experiences with this lap band process and am sooo excited!

Thanks for starting this group!
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Hello all! I am new to the group. I am looking at lapband in mid January. I've been 100 pounds over weight for over a decade! I'm so nervous but the weight has to come off. My nutritionist suggested myfitnesspal to track my calories, exercise etc. So far I have lost 8 pounds.

When you go on the protein diet 2 weeks prior to surgery, did you stay full? I'm looking forward to not dealing with being hungry all the time!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Lisa K.
  • Hi Lisa

I am one week into my pre-op diet and have to say, I am amazed but I am never hungry. In fact, I am allowed things like yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, and such, but don't really want much more after I get my four servings of the unjury protein in. It hasn't been bad at all so far! I, too, had worried about it but if your experience is like mine, you can stop worrying!!

Diane
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Wonerful! Thank you Diane!
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the group and have been working hard to get everything cleared for surgery. Weighed in at the doctor's office this week and I had lost 11.4 lbs!
    I will be going to a local surgery support group here next Monday, and figured that it wouldn't hurt to have all the support I can get.
  • Welcome tessanne10! Great job on the weight loss!! :-) You are right - the more support the better. Sounds like you are on a good track towards the surgery goal. Don't get discouraged if it seems to take longer than you think it should. Everything happens for a reason and will work together to help prepare you for your new beginning to life.
  • flesher1
    flesher1 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there I am 9 days post op now from my lapband surgery. It went well and recovery was pretty good. Looking forward to the future and what life will be like come summer time. I'm dropping pounds, my face is looking slimmer, I am convinced this is going to be the answer finally for me.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Thank you! Still have a couple of tests and tomorrow I meet with someone for the psych evaluation. It does get easier each day. I will be looking forward to any advice that anyone would like to give. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that surgery is definitely the way to go.