Selfish? Hate Kids?

Options

Replies

• live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    How about this one: "Who is going to take care of you when you get old?"

As if you can count on that to happen? You can do everything right, and your kids can still end up totally screwed up, or (God forbid), you could outlive them, or they might not be able to afford to take care of you some day...(among the many things that could happen).

and, how is having kids so they'll take care of you when you're old not selfish?

Frankly my oldest niece likes me a LOT more than she does her mom. So IF I need someone to "take care of me" when I'm older I'm pretty sure I can count on her.

Funny story somewhat related. My best friend and I were having lunch the other day (she is CFBC as well). We were discussing the holidays and the fact that since we do not have children and neither of us very close with our siblings, what happens in 20 years when our parents are gone and the children are grown? My parents and my nieces/nephew are the only reason I spend time with my sister. Once they are gone, I honestly don't foresee spending holidays with her.

So the bf and I decided we will start taking couple's trips at that point for the holidays. Anyone else up for a Christmas cruise?

That's what my husband and I do on the holidays- Vacation! Instead of dealing with presents, kids, crazy family and unnecessary stress, we travel around the world! :happy: Ok, we still have stress, actually a lot right now... but it would be 1000x worse with kids. Leaving tomorrow for a Far East adventure starting in Hong Kong!

A child-free couples cruise would be awesome to do sometime!!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I am selfish. Having a dog is seriously a stretch for me. I hate that I can't just go. I helped my sister raise my neice and nephew while my BIL was overseas. It is a TON of work. And I just don't want to do it right now. And maybe not ever....

This was my favorite thing about having my neice around. We would go out together and people make small talk. This conversation would happen in some variation....

Random person: Your children are so cute.
    Me: They are my sister's.
    Random person: You are so good with them.
    Me: Thanks
    Random person: Do you have children?
    My neice: Yep...Me and Gavin. We are all the kids she needs....

She is a real gem :tongue:

That's so cute! I love my nieces too! I wish I lived closer to them cause I'm sure I would spoil them silly! My oldest niece has celebral palsy and there are other problems that seem to run in our family with children- so another reason I don't want to have one. But my little Lexi is the sweetest girl ever...even with celebral palsy- she giggles and laughs- and hugged and kissed me for the first time this last summer! :)
  • ocandi
    ocandi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When people ask me why I don't have children, I tell them it's because I'm selfish. Because I like SLEEPING. (A lot.) I like going camping for a weekend without having to pack a minivan full of toys and kid supplies. I like making last-minute decisions. And I like spending my money on ME. :)

I've never been comfortable around kids. I've never wanted them. When I visit my family back east, someone is always trying to hand me a baby, because they think it's funny that it makes me uncomfortable.

I'm 36 and I've finally stopped hearing the "oh, you'll change your mind" comment. (At least, it's been a while.) I'm glad for that. It really is infuriating.

I have a 15-year old niece and two nephews, 5 and 10. The boys are fun, but exhausting - after spending a few hours with them, I am just done. I can't imagine how anyone does that 24 hours a day. My niece is a little clone of me at 15, so I'm enjoying lending my assistance to my sister with understanding where her daughter is coming from. But I guess that's because she's almost an adult, and I like adults. (Well, some of them...)

:)
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    no lie - my neice, who is FIVE, looked at me a month or so ago and said "when are you going to have a baby?". I replied, "Never." you would have thought i had set a puppy on fire and thrown it at the pope by how she looked at me!! she has it so ingrained in her ALREADY that women NEED to have kids. um, no. so i told her, "I'm an auntie, not a mommy" she still didn't get it. but i can't exactly look at a five year old and explain that i need me time, i like my brother's kids fine, love them to bits, but i get to send them HOME.

being a parent isn't for me. and if i had them only to cave to societal pressures... recipie for disaster much?

my mom has finally come to terms. She now calls Weasley her "grand dog"
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My parents are cool with it, and totally understand...especially at my age with the risks it would involve, but my mom was horrified when I told our old dog that she was her new Grandma...LOL! Then my youngest niece (7 or 8 at the time) came to visit and is very, very spoiled. Suddenly, she decided the pit bull granddaughter was looking pretty good!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    That's when I realized she had come to terms...was when she did this
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    no lie - my neice, who is FIVE, looked at me a month or so ago and said "when are you going to have a baby?". I replied, "Never." you would have thought i had set a puppy on fire and thrown it at the pope by how she looked at me!! she has it so ingrained in her ALREADY that women NEED to have kids. um, no. so i told her, "I'm an auntie, not a mommy" she still didn't get it. but i can't exactly look at a five year old and explain that i need me time, i like my brother's kids fine, love them to bits, but i get to send them HOME.

being a parent isn't for me. and if i had them only to cave to societal pressures... recipie for disaster much?

That reminds me of one of my lil nieces, she's such a cutie......she said that she learned at school (she's 7) what a woman's "place" was - you know, to take care of the kids and such, and she looked at me and told me - not you Aunt Charity - you don't need kids to be complete! Awww. If a 7 year old can get it, why can't grown adults get it?!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    That's when I realized she had come to terms...was when she did this

My husband has one brother who has two kids. So my MIL has the 2 grandkids and that's it. Last year my husband made a fleeting comment, mostly to rib his mother when she was talking about Christmas presents for the kids, "what about Jackson and Penny?" That is my dog and cat.

And yep, under the tree last Christmas was a new dog bed for Jackson and a lovely pot of edible grass for the cat.
  • Qarol
    Options
    My mother-in-law, every time she visits (which is only once or twice a year), mentions how big my dogs have gotten. They are 7 and 14 years old. They are 12 and 14 pounds, respectively. We got them at age 4 and 9, respectively. No, they have not gotten bigger. They are not like children. My husband and I have a silent laugh every time because it never fails she'll say that.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

My husband has one brother who has two kids. So my MIL has the 2 grandkids and that's it. Last year my husband made a fleeting comment, mostly to rib his mother when she was talking about Christmas presents for the kids, "what about Jackson and Penny?" That is my dog and cat.

[/quote]

Yes my MIL has 5grandkids....more than enough!! And my mom has 2 from my brother so all set :wink:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The planet is over-populated as it is!

I don't know why everyone is expected to want to have kids! I just want my animals, and that's good enough for me!! I hate it when people expect a reason. I just don't want kids, that's all!
  • Qarol
    Options
    Best answer...I don't need a reason!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Best answer...I don't need a reason!
    You're right...not sure why people feel the need to ask about that in the first place. Its such a personal decision!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    So the bf and I decided we will start taking couple's trips at that point for the holidays. Anyone else up for a Christmas cruise?
    We've talked about this, as well. When the nieces and nephews are grown, I don't see getting together as much. Kind of looking forward to that, actually.

In fact, husband and I are planning a Thanksgiving trip next year. I was promised I would not have to deal with his family this year. That is not happening. So he has agreed to my terms...I will go this year if we skip next year. We've already discussed what trips we might want to take.

my ex and i did this a couple of times - even though i was the one that didn't want children. He wanted them, but after watching our friends struggle financially, physically, and emotionally due to having children too young and other side effects... he started to enjoy some of our spontaneous escapes. he might have been a complete tool while we were married, but there were a few good times - and skipping the family nonsense (our families are batshit bonkers) to go somewhere warm or snowy for the holidays was part of the good-er times
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I think choosing not to have kids when you don't want them is the least selfish thing. How is it fair to the children when thier parents don't really want them and just feel obligated to have them?
    I've also heard that "you'd be a great mother" thing. Maybe I would be, who knows. I don't hate children, I just don't feel like I have to love other people's children the way they do. I may even change my mind about having kids someday, I just don't feel like my biological clock is ticking and I'm a slave to it.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The planet is over-populated as it is!

I don't know why everyone is expected to want to have kids! I just want my animals, and that's good enough for me!! I hate it when people expect a reason. I just don't want kids, that's all!

YES! Why is it so taboo to talk about there being just way too many people in the world? We are strangling our planet!
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think it is funny that people are becoming aware of their carbon footprint, but neglect to calculate the carbon footprint of each child they produce and then the children those children produce....We have neighbors with 5 kids. They don't even recycle.

I am a nurse and can promise you that just because you have a child there is no guarantee that they will show up and care for you later in life. I have seen it many times.

My husband and I absolutely do not regret being childfree. Our lives are our own and we are more financially stable than we would be with kids.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Hell yea I hate kids. I think it's selfish to want kids actually. I mean no one can use the excuse they are keeping us from going extinct because there are billions of people and millions of homeless kids. Personally, I have gone to school, I plan on maybe getting married one day and I don't want kids. Forget that. I a blunt with people if they say anything. What the hell would I want to get pregnant and be fat as hell for 9 months, squish something incredibly painful out, ruin my body more than it's already ruined, and have to take care of this screaming annoying sack of crap that eats money? No. That is not the life I want no thank you ma'am.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Wow, it was really great to read all these posts. My whole life I always wanted kids and couldn't imagine NOT having them, but, at 37, I now cannot imagine having them. My brother has 5 kids, so my mom is set with the grandkids, but just the other day she said, "I never in a million years thought you nor your sister would never have any kids." My sister is gay and hates kids. I'm still undecided, but I do love my sleep and we travel 4-5 times a year, so the likelihood of me giving that up is pretty small. I'm so glad there are others on here who I can relate to.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Deleted.