Maintenance Thread Part 3

Options

Replies

• Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Hoosier--great idea about the big glass of water w/wine. You know, seems like a simple concept but I have never actually tried that. I'd bet it works well.

Cory, congrats and welcome! Your stats are amazing! I'm not sure if you are doing this already, but one of the things we have learned from past discussions is the idea of looking at our weight in a like a 3-5 lb range. Because our weight will never be the same all the time, if you are "within" range, you tend not to drive yourself crazy as much to stay on just one number, because it rarely happens.So if you are 168 now, you could be like 167-172...something like that! I tend to like being right in the middle. If I'm a little lower in the range, I love it but it's really low---after vacations I tend to be at the high end of range, and then after a few weeks of clean eating get back to normal. It gives us the wiggleroom we need to let us know we are still A-OK.

Beaner--I'm with you on exercising to eat more! Since you just started though, you might be able to get your base up a little higher with some testing over time. I was slow to increase my calories but was where you are now for a long time, thinking I could not go higher. I am at 1560 now and still feel it's low compared to others here, but it's a little higher than it was and every little bit more helps when maintaining. I tried to go to 1600 a few weeks ago but felt a little out of control, so back down I went. Maybe I'll try again sometimes soon.....

Martha, you are so right--we are pros now, aren't we?? Annie I'm sure you'll do great--you are a veteran maintainer already!

My son is up so I'm off to be a mom--have a great day!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    NSV: Managed to go on a weeks relaxing holiday without using MFP and came back the same weight as I left! OK, so I spent one day in the middle of the holiday being violently ill but lets not let that spoil the victory - right?

Pleased that I have been able to get back into training and logging without too much difficulty.

Hope you are all doing good!
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    It's a good thing I allow myself to be in a range, lol, because I went to an Indian buffet yesterday and sampled a little bit of everything and drank a mango lassi! Totally enjoyed it, but this morning I STILL feel bloated and full, and my weight's up a lb or two. I'll drink a lot of water today to get rid of the bloat, but this reminds me why I really don't enjoy overeating anymore. I just don't feel that great afterward. (It sure was good, though!)

Edit: Hey, where did all the signatures go? I just realized that all I'm seeing are the tickers...
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Beaner--I'm with you on exercising to eat more! Since you just started though, you might be able to get your base up a little higher with some testing over time. I was slow to increase my calories but was where you are now for a long time, thinking I could not go higher. I am at 1560 now and still feel it's low compared to others here, but it's a little higher than it was and every little bit more helps when maintaining. I tried to go to 1600 a few weeks ago but felt a little out of control, so back down I went. Maybe I'll try again sometimes soon.....

I am 5'2" and 42 years old I started in April at 147 on MFP and just hit 115. I restricted my calories to 1200 per MFP recommendation plus exercise calories until about a month ago. Now I am upping my calories to maintenance. Since I am short the amount of calories I can eat will never be to high and with a desk job my base calories are about 1400. With the exercising I can eat more. In turn I am in the best shape of my life however I was never althetic even in high school when I weighed 105. My goals now are to reduce my body fat and tone. I do hope with continuing to build more muscle I will be able to eat more.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Cory, congrats and welcome! Your stats are amazing! I'm not sure if you are doing this already, but one of the things we have learned from past discussions is the idea of looking at our weight in a like a 3-5 lb range. Because our weight will never be the same all the time, if you are "within" range, you tend not to drive yourself crazy as much to stay on just one number, because it rarely happens.So if you are 168 now, you could be like 167-172...something like that! I tend to like being right in the middle. If I'm a little lower in the range, I love it but it's really low---after vacations I tend to be at the high end of range, and then after a few weeks of clean eating get back to normal. It gives us the wiggleroom we need to let us know we are still A-OK.
    That is a good idea. Thanks. :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just finished another 4 weeks of maintaining, and my experiment of setting my daily activity to "lightly active" instead of "sedentary."

I gained 0.4lb during the last four weeks (129.6 on 10/19 and 130.0 today). BUT I lost 0.5" on my waist, 1" on my hips, and my body fat monitor reading is down 0.9% (from 21.6% to 20.7%). So I think I'll stick with the 1770 from the "lightly active" setting from here on out.

I've also been on MFP for 6 months (as of last week, but I was waiting for my "skinny" week to post a progress update, hehe). Pics and stats here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/agthorn/view/6-months-on-mfp-169606
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You look awesome, agthorn :) Just curious - would you recommend NROLW? This might be a daft question, but is that how you manage to lift so much weight, lol? I'm doing squats with maybe 20kg (45lb) and every other move less, and would love to be able to lift more but not really sure how to go about upping it.
  • agthorn
    Options
    You look awesome, agthorn :) Just curious - would you recommend NROLW? This might be a daft question, but is that how you manage to lift so much weight, lol? I'm doing squats with maybe 20kg (45lb) and every other move less, and would love to be able to lift more but not really sure how to go about upping it.
    Thank you! :bigsmile: I definitely recommend NROLW. The way the first stage is designed is that you start off with more reps and lower weights, and then do two weeks at each rep/set level - every time you go down in reps, you are supposed to go up in weight (you can always add more if you feel ready). So the first two weeks are 2 sets of 15, then 2 sets of 12, then 3 sets of 10, then 3 sets of 8. I started squatting with 50lbs and worked my way up.
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Is it based on a certain amount a week? I'm doing a circuits class with weights once a week at the moment, though I do intend on doing it more often, cos I've read that to have an effect you need to do it twice a week minimum.
  • agthorn
    Options
    Is it based on a certain amount a week? I'm doing a circuits class with weights once a week at the moment, though I do intend on doing it more often, cos I've read that to have an effect you need to do it twice a week minimum.
    I currently do it 2x a week. Some people do 3x a week. You could still do the circuit class once a week, as long as it wasn't back to back with a lifting session (the sessions are total body, so you will want to rest from lifting in between). So for example if your circuit class is Monday, you could lift Wednesday/Friday or Thursday/Saturday and would be perfectly fine.
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Ooh, interesting. I shall order the book! :)
  • Lysandra81
    Lysandra81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I entered maintenance 1 week ago. I am now at 110lbs with a height of 5'2".

I find my maintenance calories kinda scary - 1490. I think that's a really low number but I will see how my body behaves.

Anyways, glad I found this group!

Cheers,
    Lysandra
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've also been on MFP for 6 months (as of last week, but I was waiting for my "skinny" week to post a progress update, hehe). Pics and stats here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/agthorn/view/6-months-on-mfp-169606
    [/quote]

You look great! I notice that you are going on a cruise! I soooooo want to do that! If you have any pointers, please let me know!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Mjheinrich's :flowerforyou: I am in NW Indiana just a little over an hour from Chicago.

I am really getting on the Body Fat Bandwagon and am seeing how many calories I can use and still maintain. So increasing calories slowly. This requires patience. Not always big in that department!!.
  • LittleMissAlx
    Options
    Cruises = awesome! My mum and I love going on them together, usually with Cunard, and we've been all over the Med, Carribean, Canary Islands.... What sort of thing do you want to know? :)
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    We're cruising next October with Fred Olsen round Spanish. We cruised round Norwegian fjords for our Silver Wedding Anniversary in 2009 & loved it...it's gonna be our main form of holiday from now on....just means we only go away every 2-3 years but it's worth it.

I've just upped my calories to maintain....now up from 1400 to 1510. Only a small jump but a little scary just the same. Normally I get to this stage, get complacent & the pounds pile back on....hopefully, with support, I can stay where I wanna be.

Sue :smile: x
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I just replied to this thread but my comment's not showing!!!
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Have about 1lb to go but weight has been fairly stable for the past month!

Very concerned about the maintaining process as have lost weight before and put it all back on - mind you was put on prednisone as well!!

Looking forward to reading and learning from you knowledgeable folk!
    Should I go to maintenance calories only after I reach my goal weight?

I am 5ft 9 and weigh 151 at the mo, aiming for 150 was 207

Thank you
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    So excited with myself! I ran the Sight Night 8K run this evening in 1 hour and 2 minutes! The weather was a FREEZING!!!! It was -20'C. I'm not sure what that is in 'F. But, I stayed very warm and ran pretty much the whole time. I'm thinking I just might be able to run a 10 K sometime next year.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Mjheinrich's :flowerforyou: I am in NW Indiana just a little over an hour from Chicago.
    (quote)

Hi there Hoosiermama. I am Mjheinrich's twin sister and I lived in LaPorte for 28 years. You must be relatively close to there. However I moved to North Carolina July 2010 for retirement and now get to do more fun stuff like hiking, biking etc.

To the rest of you I just found this thread after realizing the old one had timed out since I haven't been on the boards much lately. I have recently been somewhat lax about logging and checking in. I was on vacation recently and ate way too much but at least it was balanced out by hiking down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back out again with day hikes during 2 days on the bottom. Nevertheless I am a couple of pounds over goal now. I also think that for the way I have been eating the reason the weight may not be worse is that I have slacked somewhat on exercise as well and fear that I may be losing some muscle mass. So will try and do better although some life issues (marital separation) are causing some barriers at this time (small rental place without all my own cooking stuff, spices etc etc).