Stage 2

Options
deninevi
deninevi Posts: 934 Member
Let's share everything about stage 2 here!

I'll be doing B2 tomorrow. The Prone Cuban Snatch is the most challenging for me and the Lateral Flexions-most awkward.

Replies

• fitrunnermd
    Options
    I'll be starting Stage 2 at the end of the month.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'll start stage 2 next Thursday. I'm so so ready. Stage 1 is fine, but I'm starting to get a little bored with it. I keep doing stuff to make it harder (push ups: hands in blast straps feet on bosu ball, step ups: stepping onto a weight bench instead of a standard step with a 65lb bar instead of hand weights). And I despise the smith machine, it is the bane of my existance, I would kill for a lifting partner.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I'll start stage 2 next Thursday. I'm so so ready. Stage 1 is fine, but I'm starting to get a little bored with it. I keep doing stuff to make it harder (push ups: hands in blast straps feet on bosu ball, step ups: stepping onto a weight bench instead of a standard step with a 65lb bar instead of hand weights). And I despise the smith machine, it is the bane of my existance, I would kill for a lifting partner.

I really do not recommend the smith machine. Can't you start with only the bar then when you feel more secure you add weight.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

I really do not recommend the smith machine. Can't you start with only the bar then when you feel more secure you add weight.

The bar is too light, I squat 140 pounds on the smith (probably 110 free), I can't clean 110 pounds to get it on my back and I don't have a partner to help me get it up and I don't have a squat rack, so I have a smith. I hate the smith, but if I want to do squats that's my only option. It has nothing to do with "feeling secure" it has to do with not having anyone to help me get it in the air.
  • deninevi
    Options
    I loved stage 1! Stage 2 have some odd stuff-like the ever so popular Cuban snatch that kicked my butt with 5 lbs. DBs. Or the super odd Hanna Flexions. But anyways, it will be over before I know it. :)
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I loved stage 1! Stage 2 have some odd stuff-like the ever so popular Cuban snatch that kicked my butt with 5 lbs. DBs. Or the super odd Hanna Flexions. But anyways, it will be over before I know it. :)

I start Stage 2 in two weeks and I can tell you already I'm not looking forward to the "super odd Hanna Flexions"...lol. I already feel awkward working out with the boys as it is :)

Are you guys enjoying this stage? Is it more intense already? Before I started NROLFW I would be in the weight room for an hour, not so with stage 1 so I'm hoping stage 2 will be longer and more challenging.
  • deninevi
    Options
    Stage 2 workouts are longer. Instead of the Hanna Flexion I do side crunches, I just can't bring myself to lifting my leg that way in the gym. I do them at home-it's suppose to be great for hip and obliques.
    I didn't lift that much before NROLFW, but did some. I used to do KBs/BW/TRX workouts. But I love lifting and don't mind spending that much time in the gym.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have jumped straight into stage 2 since I have been lifting weights months prior to the book. My quads are feeling it this evening. Love that pain.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have jumped straight into stage 2 since I have been lifting weights months prior to the book. My quads are feeling it this evening. Love that pain.

I was debating whether or not do do this as well.

I figure I can lift heavy in Phase 1 to make sure I'm challenging myself, but I may cut the phase short and start phase 2 sooner. I'm also debating on adding some exercises to Phase 1, since the A and B workouts look really short to me. If anyone else did a modified Phase 1 before starting Phase 2, would love to hear about it (you can PM me or post in the Phase 1 thread - I don't want to hijack this thread :flowerforyou: )
  • deninevi
    Options
    Today was the last day with front squat/push press for me-YAY! I can't get it right and it's been a struggle for me all along. Wed. will be my last WO in stage 2.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i did all days of the swiss ball crunch in stage 1 and before i start stage 2 next month, i need suggestions for an alternative to the swiss ball crunch...i just do not feel anything doing it...i've tried with my feet narrow, with my feet wide, with my back high on the ball, with my back low on the ball, with my arms crossed over my chest, with my hands behind my head....i just DO NOT FEEL the ab area being worked at all - not when i'm doing it and not after either....suggestions please before i jumped into stage 2...
    thanks in advance,
    denise
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    i did all days of the swiss ball crunch in stage 1 and before i start stage 2 next month, i need suggestions for an alternative to the swiss ball crunch...i just do not feel anything doing it...i've tried with my feet narrow, with my feet wide, with my back high on the ball, with my back low on the ball, with my arms crossed over my chest, with my hands behind my head....i just DO NOT FEEL the ab area being worked at all - not when i'm doing it and not after either....suggestions please before i jumped into stage 2...
    thanks in advance,
    denise

Perhaps try with a medicine ball or a 10lb+ plate or dumbbell? Also having the ball lower on your back will give you more range of motion, so you were heading in the right direction with that refinement.
  • deninevi
    Options
    Try a weight on your chest first, if that is too easy, try hands over head with weight in hands.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Try a weight on your chest first, if that is too easy, try hands over head with weight in hands.

ahhh, the hands over my head with a weight is a good suggestion...thank you...
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Yep, agreed. I was working with a 35 lb weight plate on my chest, and it got to the point where I couldn't increase it much more without it being extremely awkward with a huge plate. However, lifting weight overhead makes it very challenging.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I am in LOVE with stage 2. I did my 2nd "A" workout this morning. I don't mind the front squat, except that I don't feel it in my squat so much because my push-press is only 60 pounds. Those step ups and raised lunges to make up for it though! What I really like is that I was stalled on my over head dumbell press but this has me pushing weight again. I think it would be different if my trainer hadn't had me doing something similar a few months back. I do have to say, however, that the bar positioning during the squat did start irritating my wrist during the second set.
  • cbear017
    Options
    I am in love with Workout A! My only complaint is with the second half of Workout B. It feels so....well...girly :( I don't think all of the crunches are really necessary.

Compound movements like deadlifts and even basic core work like the plank take care of this, so why all of the ab work? That's my rant.

Anyone else agree or disagree?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I am in love with Workout A! My only complaint is with the second half of Workout B. It feels so....well...girly :( I don't think all of the crunches are really necessary.

Compound movements like deadlifts and even basic core work like the plank take care of this, so why all of the ab work? That's my rant.

I don't working abs as "girlie." When I'm in the weight room I notice some of the guys doing way more abs than I'm doing. I don't, however, like the swiss ball crunches. I'm doing 15 of them with a 35 pound plate in my hands and feeling nothing in my abs. However, I'm also doing the more advanced flexion and using the stand to do straight leg raises instead of doing my reverse crunches on the floor. I may just remove the swiss ball crunch altogether and do V-ups.
  • cbear017
    Options

I don't working abs as "girlie." When I'm in the weight room I notice some of the guys doing way more abs than I'm doing. I don't, however, like the swiss ball crunches. I'm doing 15 of them with a 35 pound plate in my hands and feeling nothing in my abs. However, I'm also doing the more advanced flexion and using the stand to do straight leg raises instead of doing my reverse crunches on the floor. I may just remove the swiss ball crunch altogether and do V-ups.

At my gym the guys rarely ever do ab work and for the most part I agree with them as I don't see isolation exercises as particularly efficient.

I'll be so sad to see Stage 2 end though. I love almost all of it!!!! And I don't want it to end :( I was overjoyed to learn that these exercises get repeated in a later stage (can't remember which one off the top of my head but I think it's Stage 4).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    It went by so quickly! I started the weekend following Thanksgiving and as of Saturday morning will be on Stage3, A. I have now done Stage 2, A four times and love it. I think I'll miss these workouts when I move on!