Stage 5 Questions

Options
Please post your stage 5 questions and discussion here.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I plan to start Stage 5 on Friday and I'm wondering...
    How many sets are you doing, 3 or 4? How long does it take you to complete Workout A and B, including warm-ups and cool-down? Are you resting 120 seconds as the book suggests? Thanks!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I just completed stage 4 yesterday. I won't start stage 5 until after Christmas since I'm going away. I will probably do some of my Jillian Michaels videos next week until I leave for my trip. Then it's full steam ahead!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'll be starting on 12/27. Took this week off (unplanned) due to running xmas errands and overly long orthodontist appts for my son, and I'll be out of town next week. I have printed off the Angry Birds Workout from Nerd Fitness to do while I'm out of town, it's a lot of body weight exercises done in short bursts of time. Hoping that will counter all the xmas goodies!

I miss the weights though.
  • idauria
    Options
    Yep, I'll be starting on 12/27. Took this week off (unplanned) due to running xmas errands and overly long orthodontist appts for my son, and I'll be out of town next week. I have printed off the Angry Birds Workout from Nerd Fitness to do while I'm out of town, it's a lot of body weight exercises done in short bursts of time. Hoping that will counter all the xmas goodies!

I miss the weights though.

That sounds interesting! I'll have to look it up.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,930 Member
    Options
    In reviewing the "Stage 4 Questions", here, some posters indicated they were working out 90-120 minutes!! Gosh, in all my weight-lifting days I haven't done that. (Nor can I afford that sort of time.)

Can you tell me if the work-outs remain that long in Stage 5?
  • idauria
    Options
    I just started stage 5 this morning. The workout is longer because it has you doing 3-4 sets of each exercise with a 2 minute rest period. I have to confess that for some of the workout I only rested 90 seconds because I don't have 2 hours to devote to this workout. The workout took me 1 hour and 22 minutes today, which is about the same as the other stages for me, anyway.

P.S. I still hate the body matrix, but my planks are getting stronger. I was able to do all 3 sets for 120 seconds without much shaking. I'm just glad I didn't have to do a 4th set of those!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Started stage 5 3 days ago......now I remember how much the body matrix sucked LOL. Still love the one hand snatch :) I am using 30 pounds dumbbells.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I started stage 5 today. Feels great to be closing in on the end of the book. I felt strong and upped my weights since there were only 4 reps. Yes the bodymatrix still completely sucks!!!!!! :)
  • bizco
    Options
    In reviewing the "Stage 4 Questions", here, some posters indicated they were working out 90-120 minutes!! Gosh, in all my weight-lifting days I haven't done that. (Nor can I afford that sort of time.)

Can you tell me if the work-outs remain that long in Stage 5?
    Yes they do. I completed Workout A in 1 hour 47 minutes doing 3 sets. To avoid injury, I'm doing a general warm-up (8 minutes) plus 3 exercise-specific warm-ups as specified in the book (see page 133). Add 2 sets of the body matrix with the proper rest in between those sets. I'm also doing a cool-down & stretch session after the entire workout. I did not rest the entire 2 minutes between all of the exercises, only some.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Now that I've read Stage 5 through, I see the interval training is interspersed with the weight-training....so, the longer work-outs make sense. We shall see what I can do with my work-out schedule when I get there. (Because, right now, I'm doing my interval training on the days in-between my weight-training.)

If Stage 5 women tell me that what their doing "works", then I won't change anything....
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Now that I've read Stage 5 through, I see the interval training is interspersed with the weight-training....so, the longer work-outs make sense. We shall see what I can do with my work-out schedule when I get there. (Because, right now, I'm doing my interval training on the days in-between my weight-training.)

If Stage 5 women tell me that what their doing "works", then I won't change anything....
    I do my intervals on my off lifting days-I just don't like staying in the gym that long.
    I'm starting stage 5 tonight and not looking forward to the body matrix. I hated it in stage 2!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    denine, what you posted was exactly what I was thinking....I could swap out the HIIT I'm doing on my "in-between" days for the NROL4W intervals (once I hit that stage).

Thanks!

I'm TERRIFIED of the "body matrix", not only because of what the book says, but mostly because of all the posters, here, saying how tough it is!
  • idauria
    Options
    Started stage 5 3 days ago......now I remember how much the body matrix sucked LOL. Still love the one hand snatch :) I am using 30 pounds dumbbells.

I just was able to increase to using 25lbs for the one hand snatch. My shoulders and upper back are still sore from Monday and I did workout B this morning and now I hurt even worse thanks to the YTWL's!
  • bizco
    Options
    denine, what you posted was exactly what I was thinking....I could swap out the HIIT I'm doing on my "in-between" days for the NROL4W intervals (once I hit that stage).

Thanks!

I'm TERRIFIED of the "body matrix", not only because of what the book says, but mostly because of all the posters, here, saying how tough it is!
    Beeps, What stage are you in now? By the time you get to Stage 5 the body matrix shouldn't be a killer any more. I found it to be MUCH easier than it was in Stage 3. Don't be terrified. I also skip the 15-minute interval training because I do cardio workouts on my non-lifting days and besides, 90+ minutes in the gym is enough!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    bizco, I'm only in Stage 1. But, I lurk all over the other "Stage" boards, like crazy. (I'm a "control freak", so trying to figure out HOW this is going to go, for me, is key to keeping me motivated to lift heavier every time I'm out, actually!)

It's okay if something is "hard" to do...that's kind of the point - to awaken (and grow) the muscles. While I'm not looking "forward" to the "body matrix", I am hoping that, when I get there, I'm up for the challenge!

Congrats on all you Stage 5 ladies....I think you are all doing SO awesome! It's soooooooooooo nice to see/read all your posts on your progress!
  • Yanicka1
    Options

I just was able to increase to using 25lbs for the one hand snatch. My shoulders and upper back are still sore from Monday and I did workout B this morning and now I hurt even worse thanks to the YTWL's!

I got re introduced to the lovely YTWL. I used 10 pounders because it is only 4 rep. I still hate them with a passion!!!! Since I started stage 5 I am so sore. Will you skip stage 6 ?
  • idauria
    Options

I got re introduced to the lovely YTWL. I used 10 pounders because it is only 4 rep. I still hate them with a passion!!!! Since I started stage 5 I am so sore. Will you skip stage 6 ?

I'm a bit disappointed because I tried to use 8lbs for the YTWL but it was too hard. It could be because I am so sore from Monday's workout but I had to drop back down to 5's. I'm trying not to beat myself up over it. Work is still work, right?

Yes, I'm skipping stage 6. I don't see any real value in doing it and I have no desire to do chin/pull ups. What about you? I am actually looking forward at this point to being done with the program and moving onto something else.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    WOW! 3 sets with 4 reps goes by quickly! I have forgotten how sweet it is to get done that fast!
  • bizco
    Options
    I was able to use a 40lb. dumbbell today when doing the one-arm snatch. I noticed a few guys in the gym were watching me and it felt uncomfortable. No one said anything to me, but if my form was bad I wish they WOULD tell me.

I also shaved a minute off my time when doing the body matrix and the 2-minute planks are getting easier. It was a good day at the gym!
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    40 pounds....wow. I am ready to try 35 pounds dumbells but it kind of intimidate me LOL

I will not do session 6 too.