Tell Your Story!!

Options

Replies

• CharityPearce
    Options
    Hey...I'm Charity...I'm 40 years old. How did that happen??? : ) I'm married, have 3 amazing sons (oldest is going to college in the fall, which can't possibly be true, and the other 2 are in high school). We believed in getting them in and out as quickly as possible...seemed like a good idea at the time. Well, like a lot of you, pregnancy added weight. Then stress added more weight. At my heaviest I weighed about 180. Blech! I wasn't one of those pretty heavy girls. After 9/11, I decided life was too short to feel the way I did, so I got in really, really good shape. I ran and did aerobics, you name it. Got down to about 120 or so. Then started school, and did great for a while. Schooll was hard on my family and we had some major stress going on, and I gained some back. At that time, my youngest was in kindergarten/1st grade. Since then we've moved about 10 times. My husband has some gypsy blood, I swear. : ) Now I'm settled in my hometown, and that is where I'm planning to stay. I decided it was time for me to get healthy and stable. I'm back in school, loving it, and seriously working on getting my body as healthy as my mind and spirit. I still believe life is too short to be miserable. Looking forward to getting to know some of you and am here for encouragement. Good luck, all!
  • mjvanommeren
    mjvanommeren Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Michael. I live in Dallas TX. I'm an Industrial Engineer by trade and work for a medical services company (urgent care centers). In general, I observe our processes in action and try to identify more efficient ways of delivery. Boring.. well, sometimes. I look at it this way - I get paid for watching other people work and finding a better way to do it. :-)

I was at my ideal weight in May 2009 and suffered a few injuries between then and Oct 2010 - burns from cooking oil on my legs, a sprained back, a broken wrist and torn rotator cuff/torn bicep in a treadmill accident (it's pretty embarrassing so I won't go there - suffice it to say, I usually walk/run on surfaces that don't move now) :-)

Between not exercising as I was used to and poor eating/drinking habits I found myself 60+ pounds over my ideal weight. I had surgery Aug 2011 to remedy the shoulder injury and now am well on my way on the journey back to where I want to be - 188lbs.

Start 8/2011 - 264
    Dec 3rd - 237
    Today - 235

While each of us achieves individual results, this is a team sport - motivation and encouragement from others spurs us on to success. Look forward to encouraging and receiving encouragement from y'all. Have a GREAT day!

Happy Holidays,
    MJ
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey Gang:
    I'm Linda and am 47 years old and joined this group just a couple of days ago. I live in Oklahoma where the wind never seems to quit blowing. I work evenings at a school and it can get quite sedentary. When I am exercising and not in hibernation, I do it at home in the mornings because I have the house to myself. I create my own workouts, use the elliptical, walk/run around the neighborhood and just started the 30-Day Shred DVD (ouch!)

I've been married for 25 years and have one grown step-daughter who lives half way across the country. I've been in a healthy weight range most of my life until about 8 years ago where I slowly gained about 25 pounds. I managed to lose 20 pounds about 4 years ago and am attempting to maintain or lose another 5 pounds (which I keep gaining back). Maintaining is work! If I quit paying attention I find my clothes get too tight. I'm NOT buying all new clothes again.

To the rest of you 40's and Fabulous people...I say..."Rock On, You Aren't Old Yet!"
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hey! my name is Nicole and I just came across this group.......where did the time go?!? 43 already????????

I am not married, but with the best man I could ask for, 12 years and counting! I have 3 boys (young men if you will :smile: )...22, 20 and 18. My oldest just graduated with his bachelors degree, middle son is a junior in college and the youngest graduated high school June 2012.

I was always 'skinny fat' (I am 5'8" and USE to weigh 110) with no body tone, etc etc etc......then about 6 years or so ago, I was suddenly a size 12! I swear it creaped up on me over night :sad:

Anyways, I am down to a size 10, but still have the 'beer belly' and am still out of shape. My goal is to be at least 10 pounds lighter by June 2012, so that would be a weight of about 143ish......and I need to learn to just get my *kitten* to the gym at least 4-5 times per week. NO excuses, just plain LAZY!! I need motivation!!

Thanks for reading, please add me as a freind if you like, good luck all!
  • PMWiggi
    PMWiggi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 46 years old. I have no kids (and I'm proud of that)! I have a beautiful tortoise shell cat named Shugah (cuz she's a sweetie with flair)! I'm an army vet and I'm very active in the veteran community.

When I got out of the army back in 1998, I jokingly told my first sergeant that I was going home to get fat and happy! Now, I wish I hadn't said that. I got very fat and very unhappy! My struggle to lose weight has been up and down. I've tried lots of things and have found that diets don't work for me--especially those that promise miracles in very short periods of time!

I'm losing weight because I'm unhappy with my current weight. Things like congestive heart failure, diabetes, gout, and obesity run in my family so when I got measured at the gym and was told I was obese, I almost died! My goal is to get down into the fit category--which means I need to lose about 10 lbs. Now, before you poo poo me, that's a very hard task for me. I can't seem to get 10 lbs off to save my life and I'm really trying hard.

This time around, I'm going to do what I know works. I'm bumping up my exercise routine. I even hired a personal trainer to work with me once each week. I've signed up for strength training classes twice/week. I walk 10 miles twice/week. I dance once/week, and I spin once/week. On top of that I've decided to use the Mayo Clinic Diet as my eating plan. It's reasonable and focuses on lifestyle changes instead of quick fix diet maneuvers.

I must admit, I'm desperate this time. I just had a nephew die (last month) of congestive heart failure. He was only 44 years old and very over weight. I don't want to go like that! In essence, I want my health back and I'm willing to fight for it!

So here I go! Sing me a fight song because it's on like donkey kong (okay so I just dated myself--LOL)!

:smile: :flowerforyou: :laugh: :glasses: :happy: :bigsmile: :blushing: :smooched:
  • amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    your story is really amazing, thank you for serving our country!! it sounds like you are going in the right direction with your diet and exercise!! you sound very focused!! so proud of you !!!! :)
  • Zbanana
    Options
    Finally... My over-40 friends! I'm 48 and I am so tired of these 10-15 pounds I can't seem to shake. Looking forward to comisserating and celebrating with all of you.
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    My story begins December 4, 2004. It was as a regular work day. All of a sudden I "flipped out". I was taken to a mental hospital for observation of my behavior. I was not allowed to connect with my family or friends. After three days, I was released and given instructions to enroll in a clinic to continue treatment. I'm going on my 7th year at Lake Regional Mental Health, and still in a plan of recovery. I take 4 medications every day, twice a day. I had tried many weight loss diets and such. In February 2011, I went to Austin, Texas to assist my best friend to recover from gastric bypass surgery. When I returned home, I discussed my options with my doctor about weight loss surgery. My doctor explained that my insurance (Medicare) would not pay for it unless I was in a program for at least 6 months. So, on March 8, 2011, I went to my first Weight Watchers meeting. Wow, what a revelation!
    Weight Watchers works! I have been in the program (lifestyle change) for 6 months. I have lost 25 pounds. My doctor says we can get the ball rolling on the surgery. I had forgotten all about wanting it done. I feel that today, I don't want to have the procedure anymore. I want to continue to succeed in Weight Watchers. On the Dr. Oz show, I found out about the challenge he has with a healthy nationwide change. My weight watcher leader told us all about it. I decided to meet the challenge. I can and will do my very best to suceed.
    Today, I'm still on meds for my mental status, I'm diligent in WW, and now I have a challenge from Dr. Oz. I think when I have my final weigh-in I will be physically, mentally, and emotionally in a healthier status. I can't wait to become a healthy me. I have family and friends that are in support of what I decided on September 29, 2011.
    I will be updating everyone on my own experience in this endeavor. Please feel free to make any comments or advise. I WILL SUCCEED!!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    hi everyone,
    my name is sheri I am 48 and have been happily married for 20 yrs. I have 7 children , 3 still at home and 5 grandkids. I homeschooled for 10 yrs, did daycare for 6 yrs , fostercare for 7 yrs, then i got fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and while taking care of everyone else stopped exercising and started comfort eating and gained alot of weight. i found mfp in july 2010 and have lost 90 lbs. I love this site without it I would still be spending most my days during just the bare minimum and barely getting by. I feel like i have my life back.....
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 years old, married for 18 years, I have 3 sons, 17,14 and 10. I saw a friend using this app back in April. She told me all about it, and next day I logged onto the website and loaded the app on my phone. I fell off the wagon the end of May, but as of today I am on the plan for a solid 145 days!! I was a size 10 when I started this journey and yesterday I discovered I can fit in to a size 4!! The jeans are a little snug, but I am not done yet! I am hoping to make my goal by my birthday in January! 12lbs to go!! Come closer to Christmas I will post before and after photos! I came across a photo taken of me last December, and cannot believe the difference! A few more weeks and I will add them to my profile! ;)

My before and after photos were posted and is now my profile picture, but I'm so proud of them I will put them here too! ;)
    100_6648-3.jpg
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Friday, December 23, 2011

I see so many success stories and all I can say is:
    The ones where people stand up holding the old pants they used to wear and dropping them are my favorites. When they say that you can fit two of themselves in old clothes I cry every time. I am soooo big right now, and I'm sure that one day I will drop my drawers and show how two of me can fit in my old ones. My goal is to lose 10% by New Years (30 lbs). I have 6 lbs to go. Then, my ultimate goal is to get to my ideal weight of 128 (thats the high side of 41, female, 336 lbs). My BMI has dropped from a 68 to 60. I'm doing so well, that I have decided to NOT have surgery. WW will get me there in time. In short, I want to drop my drawers!!!!!!!
  • amybell68
    Options
    Friday, December 23, 2011

I see so many success stories and all I can say is:
    The ones where people stand up holding the old pants they used to wear and dropping them are my favorites. When they say that you can fit two of themselves in old clothes I cry every time. I am soooo big right now, and I'm sure that one day I will drop my drawers and show how two of me can fit in my old ones. My goal is to lose 10% by New Years (30 lbs). I have 6 lbs to go. Then, my ultimate goal is to get to my ideal weight of 128 (thats the high side of 41, female, 336 lbs). My BMI has dropped from a 68 to 60. I'm doing so well, that I have decided to NOT have surgery. WW will get me there in time. In short, I want to drop my drawers!!!!!!!

Good for you I'm so glad you are doing well that you don't have to have surgery!! And I love those stories too I can't wait for the day I can post my "new me" photo's!! Glad to have you here!!!
  • amybell68
    Options
    I'm 43 years old, married for 18 years, I have 3 sons, 17,14 and 10. I saw a friend using this app back in April. She told me all about it, and next day I logged onto the website and loaded the app on my phone. I fell off the wagon the end of May, but as of today I am on the plan for a solid 145 days!! I was a size 10 when I started this journey and yesterday I discovered I can fit in to a size 4!! The jeans are a little snug, but I am not done yet! I am hoping to make my goal by my birthday in January! 12lbs to go!! Come closer to Christmas I will post before and after photos! I came across a photo taken of me last December, and cannot believe the difference! A few more weeks and I will add them to my profile! ;)

My before and after photos were posted and is now my profile picture, but I'm so proud of them I will put them here too! ;)
    100_6648-3.jpg

You look so amazing!!
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi

I’m Gareth, 46. I have two children a son aged 18 and a daughter aged 7. I was always quite active in my teens and early twenties before breaking my ankle when I was 25. I stopped exercising for about five years before taking up Karate. I did that for 5 years before breaking my Femur in two places and ended up having it pinned. I then went another 4 years with minimal exercise and I realised that my waist was expanding far quicker than my pregnant partner!

I dropped from 84kg to 70 kg within a few months using an Excel spreadsheet to track my food and have trained five or six times a week since.

I weight train three times a week (I change routines about every 12 weeks) and cycle my cardio between, Circuits, Kettlebells, Spinning, Mountain Biking and Running depending on whether I have a Run or Duathlon coming up.

I used another calorie tracking site that frustrated the bejaysus out of me before being told about MFP. This is by far the best site of it’s kind that I have found.
  • Bella_Ragazza
    Bella_Ragazza Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tia.
    I'm very pleased to find this group! :smile:
    I am a middle school teacher in South Carolina who needs to lose over 100 lbs. I'm 41 and have no children. I used to think it was unfair that I never had kids but now I realize that I've been able to impact over 1000 childrens' lives as their teacher. So, I now count myself blessed! :smile: I look forward to sharing the good times and the bad with those in this group.
  • sonsiadore2
    sonsiadore2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Fabulous and 40,

I'm a 42 year old Pop Warner football coach. I always do so well until football season starts, then I loose my weight loss momentum and concentrate on all things football. I'm just looking for a few on-line friends to give a little support especially as I enter the 2012 football season.

I have 13 and 11 year old boys and one beatiful wife that I've been married to for 16 years. I have to do this for them. Thanks Guys!

Sonsiadore2
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi 40 Friends, so glad to have found you.

My name is Suzy and I am 48, soon to be 49. I'm married with no children. I have always been active and enjoyed fitness, from hiking, running to working out, but it seems once I hit my 40's the pounds started to creep up on my. Although I eat healthy (for the most part) and work out regularly, it doesn't seem to be enough to maintain the weight I would like. I am currently 152.5 and would like to get down to 130-135.

Look forward to getting to know all of you. Please feel free to friend me if you like.
  • nationalparklover
    nationalparklover Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be 40 and fabulous...but right now I'm just 46 and fat. Glad to find others in my age range to be friends with on here!

I am a married (21 years to my high school sweetheart) mom to 4 boys--ages 19, 16, 13, & 8. We also have 2 male dogs so I am overpowered by testosterone around my house. I have been a SAHM since my 3rd was born so for around 13 1/2 years and just recently got a full time job working for a CPA. A lot of sitting mixed in with some walking back and forth between offices=not much exercise.

I've struggled with my weight forever but was always just 10 or 15 pounds over what I should be. With each birth though, I seemed to add another 5 pounds so here I am....needing to lose 50+ pounds. I have tried Weight Watcher's and was fairly successful on South Beach but ended up gaining it all back plus 20 pounds. Although I seem to be happy, my weight affects every single part of my life. The more I gain, the more I want to stay home. I look in my closet and want to cry since 98% of the clothing in there don't fit. I'm not really sure why I continue to make poor eating choices but I'm sure if I dug deep enough, it is definitely related to an enormous amount of stress in my life. I try to hide it and act happy but inside, I am just really sad and disappointed in myself that I can't get this one part of my life under control. So here I am, trying to get this one thing under control.

I started logging my foods on here one Friday and I have really been loving it. I am so inspired by seeing everyone's successes and look forward to sharing my success in 2012. It is great to meet some people my age on here since we have a lot in common and I look forward to getting to know you all better. Feel free to friend me if you can relate.....
  • dragonfly1570
    Options
    Hello! My name is Laurie. I recently joined MFP and really like how the site works! I am looking for supportive friends, so please feel free to add me!

I have struggled with my weight my entire life, as many have. There were times when my weight was right where I wanted it to be, but then, I don't know. I just fall back into this vicious cycle. Emotional eating is probably my biggest downfall. I do love to run and have started circuit training as well. 3 days a week of each. I have already lost being on here which makes me very happy!

I am a single mother of two amazing kids that are my life. I want to be healthy for them and to set an example for them to follow. My daughter is starting to make better choices as well and has added some exercise to her weekly routine (she dances 2 days a week and has added running 2 days a week). I want to be strong for her (and me) so we can both do this. I know it can be done. I have done it before. But this time, I want to get to my goal, and then work towards maintaining. The maintaining isn't something I took seriously enough before. Lesson learned.

I wish everyone the best on their health journey. Enjoy it! and stay strong!
  • 139pilotwife
    139pilotwife Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Donna. I will turn 44 this month and I'm about 50 pounds overweight for my height. I recently joined MFP and have been loving the site. As most I have struggled with the weight most of my life. The weight really added up after having my boys and continued to climb when I went to work in the food industry for 15 years in a stressful management position. I became a stress/boredom eater and having good food around you while you work made it more stressful. I love to bake and that also led to weight gain. I enjoy being outside & participating in outdoor activites-especially tennis but living in Ohio the weather can be really depressing. I'm married to a helicopter pilot and have 2 boys (16 years old & 12).

Almost 2 years ago my husband was offered a very good job working oversea. We currently live in Saudi Arabia. We live on a company compound right on the Persian Gulf which provides a beautiful beach and great weather almost year round. I have settled into living in Saudi Arabia and have decided I have been given the opportunity to give myself some much need "me" time to focus on become healthier. I only work 4 hours a day now with NO stress and the weather and scenery provides a positive & energtic atmosphere.

I tried to follow other weight loss programs since moving to Saudi but found it to be difficult because the grocery stores do not have all the food option (low fat, fat free, Weight Watchers, South Beach, etc) we have in the U.S. I've been using MFP for almost two weeks and just love it.

I would love to have some friends to help support me on this new journey...
    :flowerforyou: