Older RPGs

Options

Replies

• Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It had voices in it, the characters were irritating and I didn't like the ball game. But mainly I don't like it adding voices into the game, and I didn't like the lack of speech bubbles or options.
  • Serenavictoria
    Serenavictoria Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Chrono Trigger is my fav. I owned the snes, the ps1 and the DS version.

Suikoden for PS1. I wish they would re-release that.

Lunar silver star story, amazing. Had it for ps1

FFVII and FFVIII. 8 is my fav, I love squall. Sorry guys. I just love the FF series in general.

FF Tactics was good.

EarthBound for snes. Wish they would re release this too.

I remember playing the original Castlevania on the Commador 64. Yes, I still had one in perfect working condition until I was 18. Then my dad sold it in a yard sale with hundreds of games. I loved that thing. I remember playing text based rp games, like Plundered Hearts on it. I love text based rpg's.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    My favorite old-school RPG's of all time:

Chrono Trigger
    Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    Final Fantasy 6
    Illusion of Gaia
    Planescape: Torment
    Fallout 1 & 2
    Exile III: The Ruined World
    Blades of Exile
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    just gonna throw out another question

when you get an RPG what do you look for in it? character development? battle system? unique story?

me ive always really like story lines if it has a story that can grab me im gonna be hooked and i will over look any flaw it may have and play the crap out of it
  • Serenavictoria
    Serenavictoria Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Forgot about Illusion to Gaia! Good game!

I love character development and the characters in the game in general, as well as story line. They don't have to be pretty games visually just as long as the story and game play are good. I think I have to fall in love with at least once character before truly enjoying the game. I am a sucker for the whole point and click game style, though.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    The first RPG I remember playing was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons on the Intellivision. I was instantly hooked. :blushing:

Shining Force on the Sega Genesis was the first game where, before I knew it, it was 5am and I'd been playing the game since the night before. :ohwell:

FFVII was a favorite and probably the first one I actually completed. I've never gotten through any other of the FF series (I was playing FFVIII for awhile, but lost interest).

What I look for in an RPG now is a good storyline and good character development. I don't care about the battle system too much, as long as it's not clunky and doesn't make the game tedious or too hard.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    It's going to be lame and typical but I'm a final fantasy girl. However not that lame crap they're putting out now.

In my eyes the last *true* FF was 9.

All down hill after Square Soft and Enix merged.

How dare you. >_<
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    My favorite older RPG would probably be Shining Force from Sega.... that or Suikoden or Wild Arms... Shocked no one has mentioned any Elder Scrolls; however, just because it is an oldie, doesn't make it a goodie. Diablo was something I was extremely addicted to. That and Return to Krondor and Baulder's Gate. Yes you can pretty much play any game on Windows 7 if you download it through uTorrent >_>
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The Bard's Tale for the PC, original version.
    Wizardry series but I found I and II to be the best.
  • karmaticgeek
    Options
    But some of my favorites: The Ultima series, Wizardry, Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate is still my favourite after all these years. Loved Jaheira's attitude: "Yes, oh omnipresent authority figure?"
  • azuria518
    azuria518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Forgot about Illusion to Gaia! Good game!

I love character development and the characters in the game in general, as well as story line. They don't have to be pretty games visually just as long as the story and game play are good. I think I have to fall in love with at least once character before truly enjoying the game. I am a sucker for the whole point and click game style, though.

Great game
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    just gonna throw out another question

when you get an RPG what do you look for in it? character development? battle system? unique story?

me ive always really like story lines if it has a story that can grab me im gonna be hooked and i will over look any flaw it may have and play the crap out of it

I look for story and character development first. Gameplay and battle system come last.
    Shining Force on the Sega Genesis was the first game where, before I knew it, it was 5am and I'd been playing the game since the night before. :ohwell:

AHAHA I FORGOT SHINING FORCE AND LOVE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Baldur's Gate is still my favourite after all these years. Loved Jaheira's attitude: "Yes, oh omnipresent authority figure?"

Boo, Go for the eyes!
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options

Boo, Go for the eyes!

This place is a den of steeeeeeeeeenking evil, let's give it a good shake & see what falls out!!

I love minsc, one of the most entertaining NPCs ever. I particularly liked him saying how we were all hero's when walking in disguise in the underdark :bigsmile:
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options

And if you are a D&D fan, I highly recommend the Temple of Elemental Evil, it has to be modded to be playable, but I have not only finished the game, I've played it all the way through 3 times now.

Will this play on Windows 7? I bought it when it came out and it was such a buggy piece of crap I gave up. WOuld love to play it though as I found the Temple of Elemental Evil AD&D adventure to be great to DM.

RPG wise, I think my first one was Dungeon Master (I wasnt too good at that one) and the SSI "Pool of Radiance series". Favourite "old school" was the Eye of The Beholder series. Adventure game wise, I loved Sierra's Gabriel Knight series, the Monkey Island Series, some of Infocoms text adventures and Broken Sword.

Argh Monkey Island! What a game!!!
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Good Old Games suggestion. I'll take a look. I'm currently using Twisty (app) to replay some infocom adventures, but I will have to consider some of the things they have on GoG.

Oh and anyone comment on Tales of Monkey Island? I never played it and just wonder if its up to the original's quality or not... though I can probably not remember the original so I could always... :)
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Good Old Games suggestion. I'll take a look. I'm currently using Twisty (app) to replay some infocom adventures, but I will have to consider some of the things they have on GoG.

Oh and anyone comment on Tales of Monkey Island? I never played it and just wonder if its up to the original's quality or not... though I can probably not remember the original so I could always... :)

Looks like Twisty is android only, ah well. I would love to try it out otherwise.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    idk if many people consider it RPG but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was one of my best RPG experiences growing up. Parasite Eve as well...amazing game and groundbreaking for its time.
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    idk if many people consider it RPG but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was one of my best RPG experiences growing up. Parasite Eve as well...amazing game and groundbreaking for its time.

oh man i cant believe i didnt think of those earlier i loved both of those games. i never did finish parasite eve, well i did but the game always froze after i killed the last boss.
  • bert004
    Options
    Chrono Trigger is my top RPG of all time. Followed by FFVI. I still own my SNES and Chrono Trigger...