Welcome RN's! Introduce yourselves!

Options

Replies

• AddictedtoAerosmith
    AddictedtoAerosmith Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    RN in a busy Medical-Surgical ICU day shift. Hell or high water, you never know what you're going to walk into after you punch in...the vented, sedated, power of tower CVVHD & or IABP patient wth 50+ family members who fail to understand the visiting hours, or the two walkie talkie stable mables who do not need ICU care...all that matters to me is I have a fantastic work family to help me through the hell or high water code blue prevention, or the 500+ pound code brown patient who is an Interdry candidate....I love my job, hate my weight, sigh...peace & love ya'll nurse's! wink
  • Lunasash
    Lunasash Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Luna. I am doing the Lindora diet on my own. I've lost 10lbs so far and am finding creative ways to fulfill my cravings. How is everyone?
  • FatNurseSlim
    Options
    Hi all ....I'm Sarah I'm a newbie been an RCN for 9 months and work on scbu I love it! But it's taken a toll on my waistline big style I'm following slimming world but using mfp for a bit of extra support!
  • teramae
    teramae Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Tera! Relatively new nurse here, been working on a Neuro/MedSurg floor since May 2011. Graduated in Dec 2010 and lost 20 lbs between then and April 2011, but have gained a bit since I started working. Glad to meet you all, looking forward to supporting you and reading suggestions/tips!
  • mcpayton
    mcpayton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Payton and I've been a nurse for 12 years, mostly working in ICU. I work a 12-hour night shift, which makes having a life challenging, but over all easier for me than days, as I'm just NOT a day person. I exercise mostly when I get up at 430pm and make a point to eat a healthy diet. I hate to see so many of my coworkers ridicule our patients, saying "well, they did it to themselves!" when they eat fast food almost every night! Talk about crazy. Not sharing in meals and snacks with my coworkers can sometimes put a real strain on things, as they get insulted or feel like I'm judging them. Since I have a lot of food allergies, though, I can just decline without too many hurt feelings. What drives me nuts is having a fellow nurse urge me to eat something I'm allergic to!!! Personally, if I'm going to council someone on diet and a healthy lifestyle, I should be living it. Who takes advice from an obese doctor or nurse on nutrition and exercise???
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi 'm Alana Im a psych RN for 2 and 1/2 years currently in acute adult inpatient, in the past done camhs and forensic, love it all but have done night shift alot lately and found it hard! but back on to mostly ams and pms so back into healthy eating!! feel free to add me!
  • heatherhecate
    Options
    Hi, I'm Heather from Brisbane Australia. I've been a RN for nearly 4 years in inpatient oncology, and I'm currently doing some holiday relief as a Clinical Facilitator/Instructor on my ward (day shifts only for a month woohoo) I'm trying to get fit, strong and healthy so I can cope better with the workload as well as feel better and set an example for my family
  • mackenzierain
    mackenzierain Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Cassandra. I've been a nurse for 3 1/2 years, started out in med-surg (ortho and neuro surgery) and have just recently switched to labour and delivery/post-partum and loving it so far. Before I switched I was doing the 2 weekks days then 2 weeks nights schedule and now I am on the 2 days/2 nights schedule and trying to re-balance everything. I started losing weight back in october, but just joined MFP in January, and starting to finally see some results. Good luck everyone!!!!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I'm Penny. I've been an RN for 37 years now. I've done everything from peds and NICU to school nursing, telemetry, home care, Peace Corps, travelling nurse and currently working ASU/PACU and doing overtime in my previous department, the ER. No other profession affords the variety that nursing does, but it also brings challenges to weight loss!! I've been on MFP since May 2011. I had lost 47lbs but got off track the past several months d/t an overabundance of personal stressors. Hoping to get back to the disciplined lifestyle I had followed for 6 months. Can't believe I didn't know about this group before!!
  • jillbilleo
    Options
    Hey all,

Not quite an RN yet, but I'll be graduating in April! I'm a mom of 2 (3 1/2 yr old and 3 month old). I'm only looking to lose 5-10 lbs, but what I'd really like is to tone up. I need to get rid of my muffin-top! If any of you have any killer ideas on firming and toning the inner thighs and mid-section, please share!
  • MelissaDPitts
    Options
    Hello,
    I have been a pediatric ed RN/trauma nurse for @ 12 yrs. I love my job, but my weight is really taking effort on my care of the patient. This weight have to go!!!!
  • ValgA
    ValgA Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi! My name is Valerie. I've been an RN for four years now, currently work at a PCU/TELE unit! Been at MFP since July of last year.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am Karen have been a RN for >30 years. Went back to school and graduated with my BSN in 1999. Currently work at a Certified Home Health Agency (CHHA). I am the admit nurse for one county. I love my job. Offers me autonomy, freedom and a generous salary. I work from home and go into the office weekly only. I have had a wonderful career and when I got burned out I moved on. Worked in Florida for a few years. Now back in Upstate New York have 2 daughters (19 & 21) and a great boyfriend.

Hope everyone is happy where they are working--if not take a risk and move on. It is good for the soul.
  • spoiledmiss
    Options
    Hey all, I've been an RN for 18 months and was an LPN for a year before that. I currently work on a Rehab unit at a hospital in KS but am originally from California. I currently work 7a-7p 3 days a week I love having 4 days off a week but I am thinking about transferring units as Rehab is not my cup of tea. I'm considering L&D or a medical floor both will come with a night shift for sure lol.

I'm currently using Body by Vi and MFP and have seen about a 10 pound weight loss in about 5 weeks. I dont believe my weight loss is entirely based on BBV but mostly due to calorie counting and watching what I eat. The thing I like best about BBV is that I dont have to think about what I'm going to have for breakfast and lunch, and I've found really good snacks the sustain me.
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Amanda and I have been a nurse for 2 years. I currently work in the operating room specializing in orthopedics. This past weekend at a seminar I heard a gastric bypass surgeon say diet and exercise were not effective means to lose weight long term and those who lost weight gained it back in 2 years. I am hear to prove him wrong!!!!
  • Rejewce88
    Options
    Hi, my name's Richard. I'm a 36 yo 3rd year RN in a country town in rural NSW Australia. I work in a medical ward and work a bit of DnA nursing on the side. A lot of nights because I work casual so I find that I'm eating 4 meals a day rather than 3. Since I started MFP I have been over my calorie count every day!!!. but it's slowly creeping down. My wife and I have recently turned vegetarian and I want to lose around 16 kilos so any tips and advice for night shift eating patterns etc would be appreciated.
    Well done to all those who are trying to make it on this journey.
  • lmj0707
    lmj0707 Posts: 13
    Options
    Greatings group! I'm Lisa, a 26 yr old Pediatric ICU nurse and I've been a PICU RN for 4 yrs! My weight has fluctuated up and down all though college and now. So far this is the most successfull (most lost) I've been on! 30lbs and counting lost! It's also the one where I've lost the quickest (2lbs/week). It's strict, but it provides the most reward to keep me on track. It's great that my scrub pants don't fit any more! I started in a large, now I need a small! HOW CAN I ENCOURAGE YOU?
  • lmj0707
    lmj0707 Posts: 13
    Options
    BTW, I work in Columbus, OH
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Been an RN for almost three years, just now barely getting my foot into the hospital setting. Hoping to start 12 hour nights on medsurg soon. Losing my post baby weight and working on getting my Masters.
  • karen91967
    karen91967 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hello All!!!

My name is Karen and I have been a nurse for 24 years now! I work inpatient oncology and I absolutely love my job!!! I joined MFP last Friday to change my life!! My goal is to lose 60lbs!!