Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    Another "ex-scientist" here, strange term, how do you stop thinking about things scientifically?

Anyway, BSc Pathology (immunology/genetics) post grad work on marsupial immunogenetics and microbiology (infection control), lectured for awhile, then back to uni for BSc (Viticulture and Oenology, winemaking), now Vigneron.

Also mother of 4, grandmother of 2 and a bit (pregnancy in progress),wife, partially through a technical college (TAFE) course in personal training.

Still hugely interested in all things scientific. For those of you in Australia, there's a full lunar eclipse next full moon in December (10th).
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Not a scientist job wise, but I do teach science to 4 year olds if that counts :) I'd consider myself a scientist by nature if that makes sense.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I have a BSc in Zoology but work in the Zoo field (I run a reptile park). I see myself as a scientist but am not keen to go into full time research. I think like a scientist and love the field work and reading about what others have done, but writing it all up cuts too deep into the only free time I have for me to consider it full time. I understand why a large amount of zoological research is done on dead specimens, but I do love keeping my snakes and stuff alive and showing people how fascinating they can be. The best day is when someone has overcome their fear and touched one of the snakes, even though I know it is completely harmless!!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    You know, reading your descriptions you are all scientists. I read somewhere (sorry don't remember where) that once your mind is open to scientific ideas and attitudes you can never go back to the ignorance of not knowing. You will always examine everything for whether it is sound scientifically or as my son says "a soft science nightmare", we dissect movies all the time for their crappy science, drives the non-scientists crazy.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm Ali. My degree (BS) is in Pharmacy. I have worked mostly in Regulatory Affairs for pharmaceutical companies over the course of a decade but now am a SAHM. I LOVE anything science or math related. Actually, to be honest, Im just an average geek. I am interested a huge array of topics. I thought it might be fun to join this group to see what you all were reading and discussing in the science world.

Have a good one!!
  • hebbby
    hebbby Posts: 70
    Options
    Hi, I'm heather i am in my final year of a bsc in genetics, spent last year on placement at a pharma company and i am hoping to do a phd in plant genetics.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a wildlife biologist currently performing mitigation monitoring of listed species in California and some construction monitoring (yuck). I also do some predator removal and I get to do a little research in my spare time. Mary
  • CatFixer
    Options
    Hi! I'm a small animal veterinarian in New Orleans.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hi all... I'm a trained Analytical Chemist who has working in the Pharmaceutical industry for longer than I care to remember. After a brief stint running my own business (not science related) I have returned to the fold and now produce help systems and user documentation for laboratory instrumentation and computer systems.
  • Bitterbeauty
    Bitterbeauty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello :) My name is Tiffany.

I did my undergraduate study in Biology (b.s.) and I will be attending graduate school this fall to get my masters in Public Health.

My main interests are bacteria, viruses, zoonotic diseases, and genetic disorders.
  • samuraidoctor
    samuraidoctor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, folks! My name is Birgit and I'm a physician. I have been in practice doing family medicine since finishing residency in 1983. I have always had a keen interest in science, but most of my "research" has just one subject--me! I run little projects on myself to see just how well my advice can work. For instance, right now I am using full accountability, diet and activity monitoring, as well as daily weighing, to see how well that works for weight loss. I am also a work in progress to try to prevent degenerative and neurodegenerative diseases through lifestyle modification. Hopefully got a few more decades on that one before the final results are in.

My areas of interest include evolution, anthropology, archaeology (bioarchaeology in particular), neuroscience, genetics, and earth science. So glad this group is here.
  • JulienneMJ
    Options
    Hi fellow lab-rats, I'm Berry. I'm a science and technology journalist, so a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none!

I've always been interested in that line of work... what sort of education have you completed?
  • JulienneMJ
    Options
    Hello! I am currently finishing up my Master of Science in molecular biology and will be starting my PhD in May! I will be studying viral-host cellular interactions.
  • lwalters5
    lwalters5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm Lauren. I'm currently majoring in Chemistry before I go off to Pharmacy school. This group caught my eye because I love science. Obviously. Looking forward to talking to people here.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • orangemocha10
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm a second-year grad student working on my PhD in Biophysics. Specifically I'm working in the field of receptor tyrosine kinases. I'm currently in the process of writing my proposals and studying for qualifying exams next month...gulp!!

I've really struggled with finding time to work out (as I'm always in the lab), but recently decided that I need to make my health a priority. Also gotta cut out the stress snacking =P
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    HI :D

First degree in anthropology with a focus in medical anth/forensics. Now studying for a nursing degree - currently taking anatomy, bio II, and micro lab. I have absolutely fallen in love with microbiology - kind of thinking it might be what I actually want to do.
  • ScienceMom77
    ScienceMom77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    My PhD is in Microbiology, but I'm now working in the world of RNA inhibition. I work for a company that's developing vehicles for delivering siRNA to specific target cells. How I got from bacteria to developing cancer drugs is a mystery to me, but I enjoy it nonetheless. Just goes to show that as a scientist, I find pretty much any science interesting!

As for the weight-loss part, you'd think that as scientists, we'd be able to conquer this problem at least individually... I mean, less energy in, more energy out... that's the whole solution, right? But, here I am. It's so much more complicated than that! I'm just getting started with MFP. I hope I can keep it up and get some progress!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was a wetland ecologist for 20+ years until I was layed off...now I'm loving my new career. I'm a GIS Analyst creating 3D maps. Working with Socet Set and Arc Map
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I have my BS in marine science and I'm currently working on my MS (thesis is on coral disease and microbiology). I also work full time in environmental consulting. Glad to be here!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lauren. I currently work in climate change adaptation for biodiversity (including agriculture, aquaculture), primarily doing the GIS component. Prior to injury, I did all sorts of fun things like radio-tracking freshwater snakes to understand their movement patterns, impacts of weed management (burning and grazing) on wetland herpetofauna (frogs, snakes, skinks), top predators in rainforest streams (eels, haha), skin microflora interactions with chytridiomycosis in rainforest stream frogs (how much and what bacteria is where on the body), some work on colour and morphometrics in skinks, and collecting climate and insect data for the rainforest bioregion along latitudinal and altitudinal gradients (for climate change analysis).

I only have a BSc due to setbacks in completing honours, and am currently setting up a masters in GIS and aquaculture.