What is your fave UK town/city?

Options
124»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm a Londoner born and bred, and I do love London. I find whenever I live somewhere else for a couple of years (Manchester and Oxford were my longest "away from home") I find they're a bit small and I feel I've seen it all and done it all, something that will never be the case in London.

However, when I win the lottery I'm buying myself a summer home in St Andrews. I have relatives who live just outside there and regularly visit, and I really feel it's my home-away-from-home.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    As a Londoner bred, there are so many, varied places there - I get a thrill when I ride over Westminster Bridge on the bus!
    I agree with Edinburgh, and York, both lovely places with good walks close to City Centre - have lived and loved in both!
    But no-one has yet mentioned Portsmouth (the island city) - wonderful naval heritage with HMS Victory and HMS Warrior, as well as the Mary Rose, and right nearby superb Gunwharf Quays for shopping and eating as well as watching the boats go in and out of the harbour!
    I'll back Chichester as well, but not sure if it counts as a city - fabulous plays at the Festival Theatre. Winchester is great,too.
    Nottingham is a really vibrant city - my son went to uni there, and everyone who goes seems to stay there.
    Going to conferences often, I've really enjoyed Liverpool, Birmingham, Exeter and Harrogate. Not Bournemouth, the hills are killers until I've lost weight!!!!!

Don't get me started on Europe... that's for another thread!
  • penmosha
    penmosha Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love St Ives in Cornwall. We no longer want to go anywhere else on holiday :happy:

I'm with you on that! We have rented so many cottages there, even out of season.

Other favourites are Whitby, Aberystwyth, Tenby and Edinburgh. Had a great time in Waymouth recently.
  • jo2907
    jo2907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love Liverpool, i fist visited about 3 years ago and fell in love with the place, we try to go at leat once a year now and i miss it when we have to leave.

I'm a country girl at heart, I live in a village just outside Bicester which is a small town just outside Oxford... and as cities go is quite cool, I did the open top bus tour of oxford a couple of years back and learnt so much about the city, not sure i could live there though!
  • zoeengland2000
    Options
    Bangor is a city (it has a Cathedral), it has a pier and countryside all around and I've never had concussion there, so it's WIN WIN WIN WIN for me :laugh:

I used to work in Bangor I'd drive there & bak up to twice a week and often stayed at the Eryl Mor opposite the pier. I loved he time I spent there, such beautiful views & friendly people
  • zoeengland2000
    Options
    For me my favourite place is Chester, great for shopping and a beautiful city