Anyone else started this week?

Options
2»

Replies

• keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

*Disclaimer - Calculations ahead!!*
    Also - I am not using any protein powders. I took a course on Nutrition for Athletes (or just people who are working out) a while ago - and the instructor told us that the maximum protein a body can digest and utilize is 1.7 x Lean Mass (in kg). Since the "healthy" woman has 25-32% body fat - that means for a 60 kg woman (130 lbs roughly & assuming 30% body fat) - the maximum amount of protein you can digest is about 72 g. (60 kg x 0.7x1.7=71.4) Easily achievable with a regular diet and not adding any powders!!

PS - same nutritionist told me that Chocolate milk had the perfect combo of protein/sugar for replenishment after a workout! YIPPPPEEEEE!!!!!!! 1 cup of that after my weight session!!! SO LOVING THIS PROGRAM!!! :)

I love chocolate milk but my husband always nicks it whenever I buy it I end up having to hide it!

The book recommends 40/30/30 ratio - so 30% protein which means I am meant to eat over 100g a day. What do you mean by not being able to digest it?

I don't know what my bodyfat is, I am too scared to find out incase I am disappointed. The bodyfat scales at the gym said I was 27% last year but then I lost about another 20lb after that. I remember being really disappointed that it was so high! I worry that all these bodyfat scales aren't accurate so would rather just go by the changes in my own body I guess.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I guess "digest" was the wrong word... utilize would be better. Your body uses protein to build muscle - yes... but after your "protein stores" are replenished any excess protein is excreted or stored as fat. (I'm not an expert on this... so that's my best guess based on some readings and this course I took) According to the nutritionist that taught me the course, the body can only "store" 1.7x Lean Mass (in kg) daily of protein.

It's definitely frustrating to know what is right when there is SO much conflicting information out there... I think you just have to try stuff and see what works for you. I've been doing paleo (sort of) while on NROL4W and (though it's only been a week) that seems to be working for me... time will tell I guess!

I don't like the idea of adding "supplements" to my diet - I am more interested in just eating "natural" food! :) So I like the idea that I don't have to protein load because honestly - eating 150-165 g of protein "naturally" is tricky! :) Needing only 75 g is much easier!

For my body fat calculation I used an online calculator (based on measurements). Trust me... not something I'd recommend. :( It was disheartening... but hey - I'm only in Stage 1... And as your body fat decreases your protein needs will increase.... (not a whole lot... but some).
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Also - I am not using any protein powders. I took a course on Nutrition for Athletes (or just people who are working out) a while ago - and the instructor told us that the maximum protein a body can digest and utilize is 1.7 x Lean Mass (in kg). Since the "healthy" woman has 25-32% body fat - that means for a 60 kg woman (130 lbs roughly & assuming 30% body fat) - the maximum amount of protein you can digest is about 72 g. (60 kg x 0.7x1.7=71.4) Easily achievable with a regular diet and not adding any powders!!

Wait a second. I was told that 31% body fat was heading into the danger zone. Please clarify. Was the PT just selling his services.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

PS - same nutritionist told me that Chocolate milk had the perfect combo of protein/sugar for replenishment after a workout! YIPPPPEEEEE!!!!!!! 1 cup of that after my weight session!!! SO LOVING THIS PROGRAM!!! :)

I love chocolate milk but my husband always nicks it whenever I buy it I end up having to hide it!

The book recommends 40/30/30 ratio - so 30% protein which means I am meant to eat over 100g a day. What do you mean by not being able to digest it?

I don't know what my bodyfat is, I am too scared to find out incase I am disappointed. The bodyfat scales at the gym said I was 27% last year but then I lost about another 20lb after that. I remember being really disappointed that it was so high! I worry that all these bodyfat scales aren't accurate so would rather just go by the changes in my own body I guess.

Stick with the recommendations of the book. For weight loss and weight lifting, the requirement is closer to 2g/kg/day (not lean mass) to maintain a positive nitrogen balance and build muscle tissue. The 40/30/30 is appropriate.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I started today! I have been lifting regularly for over a year, so I started on workout 3, and did 3 sets of 12. I'll do that for workout 4, too, and then get to the 3x10 ones and follow his program to a tee from then on. I loved doing squats and pushups today. I used the smith rack for squats since I don't have a spotter and this is my first time doing squats w/ a bar. I'm at 40lbs in added weight, so I am thinking that once I feel like I can do reps w/ 45, I'll switch to just the bar, no smith rack. Thoughts?

I do a lot of cardio. I run 2-3x/week, spin 3x/week (teaching). I know he isn't really a fan of lots of cardio w/ this program. Am I going to undermine my efforts? I do want to get stronger and build muscle (or at least maintain what I have), but I have a lot of bodyfat to burn off, and I love my cardio. Any harm to continuing??

I'm excited to be starting a new program! I liked my circuits before but I'm kind of stressed out these days, so I have to admit I am enjoying that 60 seconds of rest in between sets! :)
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I started doing strength training classes about a year ago. I have the book but I love my classes. My favorite instructor will be out on maternity leave so I am considering doing NROL4W while she is out. I am just unsure about doing the weights by myself. Any suggestions?
  • ecrogers4
    Options

Wait a second. I was told that 31% body fat was heading into the danger zone. Please clarify. Was the PT just selling his services.

I'm in the Military - and the Nutritionist runs all our "health oriented" courses and is employeed by DND. (Well Weight Eating, Top Fuel, etc). So - no - there was no gain to him.

2g/kg/day isn't going to hurt you - but protein is not a requirement to support "fat weight," which is why "lean mass" is used in the calculation.

You're going to find a million different sources that tell you a million different things are right. I'm not trying to stir up controversy... if something is working for you and you feel great - Great! Stick with it! Personally - one of my goals is to complete this program *supplement* free. I have heard some nasty things about what CAN be included in the powders. As far as I know - the Whey Protein supplements are an unregulated industry and there are no standards for content.

31% body fat is at the high end of average/healthy according to most charts... of course - it depends on your source and your age group.
  • samntha14
    Options
    thanks for the info.
  • samntha14
    Options
    I changed my macros this weekend and I'm already having trouble meeting the protein level, and I really don't want to get on the bars and shakes. I also don't eat red meat or cook meat in the house, so that's a problem too. My husband lives off protein bars because he just can't eat enough in one day to meet his needs (endurance athlete). Any suggestions?
  • ecrogers4
    Options
    I changed my macros this weekend and I'm already having trouble meeting the protein level, and I really don't want to get on the bars and shakes. I also don't eat red meat or cook meat in the house, so that's a problem too. My husband lives off protein bars because he just can't eat enough in one day to meet his needs (endurance athlete). Any suggestions?

Greek yogurt: 1/2 cup = 12 grams protein
    Cottage cheese: 1/2 cup = 16 grams protein
    Almonds: 10 almonds = 3 grams protein
    Tofu: 1/2 cup = 20 grams (you can make some EXCELLENT "protein shakes" using tofu (just make sure you use the silky kind and not the harder kind)
    Quinoa: 1/4 cup = 6 grams
    Edamame (soy beans): 1/2 cup = 4 grams
    Eggs: 1 large = 6 grams (I like to make an "omlette" with the "Simply Eggwhites, broccoli, spinach, and cheese" DELISH!!
    Simply Egg Whites: 1/2 cup = 14 grams
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Glad to see other newbies. I am reading the book now. I've been going to the gym 3x week for about 10 months. I due mostly cardio and add a few weight machines here and there. I've never lifted weights, but have always wanted to know how to and what to do. I'm exciited to begin, but also intimidated. I am really reading the stage 1 workout and reviewing the exercises so I know how to do them once I get to the gym. I may start tomorrow or wait and begin Monday. I'm thinking I will try them at home first (practice). :-)

I'm sure I will be checking back and looking for answers. I'm so glad there were links to other sites, downloaded, workout logs, etc. Very helpful.

I started JUST like you - totally intimidated and reviewing the exercises about a million times - and quite a few reasons why "today wasn't just quite the right day." (not saying you're making excuses... I was!) And then.... I just did it. Got started. I did Workout A-1 in my "home gym" (aka the garage)... and it wasn't too bad. Workout B seemed a bit better suited to the weight room... so I squared my shoulders, marched on down to my gym at a "less popular" time slot and got to work. Getting over the intimidation really is the hardest part! (Not really looking forward to doing Prone Jackknives in the gym though... LOL!) I think part of the problem for me was getting it into my head that I DESERVE TO BE IN THE WEIGHT ROOM TOO. Still at "low weight" today... but I was a bit braver and went up a bit from what I thought I could do... Feeling "wobbly" now and not really looking forward to tomorrow... but kinda am looking forward to tomorrow too!

LOVING this program!!

Hi all! Yes I am totally intimidated. I got the book yesterday and I like way it is "spelled out" what to do. I think that was one reason I was so successful half-marathon training. It was spelled out. I also really thrive on that sense of completion.

I think I am going to start tomorrow. My knee has been giving me a little pain the past few days. And it is a lot better and I think I'll just go shallow in my squats. I may also get a knee tendonitis strap for support.

I posted this on separate place but I'll ask again. Any substitute for knife jacks? My gym doesn't have ball. Just do some sort of other ab move. Or I could do the jacks at home?

I took a lifting class in high school. I also lifted some in college - I was an equestrian at my school and we had to lift as well. It was so funny because all the guys in the weight room were always floored when we did the inner thigh machine. We could do as much or more than them! I've always "believed" in weights. I used The Firm since high school (before it was an infomercial it was just a gym in South Carolina - that's where I grew up. For the past few years, I've taken the Les Mills Body Pump classes - those use barbell but lighter weights and TONS of reps - like 3 minutes.

I already try to eat at 40/30/30 - I've found I lose better and feel less hungry when I eat this way. I have some insulin issues and moderate carbs are healthier for me (I could NEVER do low carb). I also am trying the Spike Diet method where you have one super super high calorie day.

Look forward to meeting and growing strong with everyone.
  • bluesunshine999
    Options
    I have heard some nasty things about what CAN be included in the powders. As far as I know - the Whey Protein supplements are an unregulated industry and there are no standards for content.

Hi- I'm new on this board. I haven't started yet, but I'm working up the courage to do it tonight (woohoo!). I've been reading through these posts and found them very helpful. This comment about whey protein stuck out to me as I have also read negative things about it. Check out this link- http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/robyn-recommendations/protein-powder/ I am trying the natural brown rice one she recommends (didn't buy from her though) and I like it. It could be a good alternative for any of you vegan/vegetarian folks.

Okay- Wish me luck on my first workout! I'm very nervous, but I'm making my husband come help me figure it all out. ;)

Have a lovely day!
  • samntha14
    Options
    ecrogers4 Thanks for the list. I LOVE Greek Yogurt, and does it matter if my almonds are chocolate covered LOL. Bluesunshine, thanks for the link.
  • Tara4boys
    Options
    I did my first workout today with a few modifications.

The squat rack was occupied for a LONG time. I finally got fed up and did squats with two 20lb dumbbells on my shoulders. It was tough but I probably could have done more but my knee has been sore last few days and finally feels better and I wanted to be ultra careful.

Also, as I posted yesterday - don't have a ball. I'll get one for home use. I did declined sit ups with weighted ball.

I loved the seated rows.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Tara,

There's nothing wrong with just doing a plank for 60 seconds (instead of the jack-knife)....you'll be doing 2 x 60sec planks in Stage 2, anyway....so, you'll be ready!
  • Tara4boys
    Options
    Tara,

There's nothing wrong with just doing a plank for 60 seconds (instead of the jack-knife)....you'll be doing 2 x 60sec planks in Stage 2, anyway....so, you'll be ready!

THANKS! I'll do that next time. I thought about it today but I forgot my yoga mat today so I didn't want to get down on the floor.

I am so excited about this program.