Stage 2

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    I do the prone cobra with my arms by my sides, but my legs are up in the air (as is my torso). I just did bikram hot yoga for a lot of years and have no problem with this move, that's all.

(And, I know it's good for my spine, so that's fine.)

Also, I cannot take credit for the tip on the step-ups: firstly, because I haven't even TRIED it yet; and second, because it was another mfp poster who advised me to try it like that.

(I know I'm going to have to dump my weight back down on the step-ups, when using the *tip*, because I'm 100% sure I PUSH-OFF, even unintentionally, with foot on ground.)
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Well,I have my squat rack all set up in the basement,moved my adjustable weights down their too.

I'm getting ready to start Stage 2 tomorrow,I'm a bit nervous about getting my form right.

I need to watch YouTube videos on the different exercises tonight.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!! I am eager to start stage 2!!!!! :drinker: That will be next Sunday. I am "resting" this week. I am going to try to read some of the posts in this thread that might answer some questions/concerns once I get started. :flowerforyou:
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    I was just looking at Stage 2 in the book...

How long is it supposed to take you to finish this stage? There's only 8 workouts in total? Four workouts of Stage A&B

Do I do the same as Stage 1? Lift 3 days a week? Or just two?

Sorry if these questions are a repeat...
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options

How long is it supposed to take you to finish this stage? There's only 8 workouts in total? Four workouts of Stage A&B

The book recommends 3 x per week, so stage 2 will take you about 3 weeks. It's the same with the remaining stages, except for stage 7.
  • Shyloh1
    Options

The book recommends 3 x per week, so stage 2 will take you about 3 weeks. It's the same with the remaining stages, except for stage 7.

I thought so,I just wanted to make sure! Thanks!:wink:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Workout 3A. Gosh, I only have one of these "A"s left....wish I had done BETTER, actually.

1. I started with the push-press. Had it at 60 lbs and thought, "sheesh, I can't DO THIS!!" So, after 4 reps, I dropped it back to 50...which didn't feel right, either. So I upped it to 55. Fine. But, I was VERY ticked off that I had to back off on the weight. (Which kind of mired the rest of my work-out....I was pretty busy beating myself up.) Then, I get back to work and go to plug-in my numbers and, whadda-ya-know?? I only did 50 lbs. in my push-press last A workout. Geez!! So, I "was" progressing and didn't even realize it. (Not sure why I thought I was doing 60's, but I did.)

2. The step-ups were way too f*cking hard to do from starting on the step and going down-and-then-up. Period. And, I was too ashamed to step down onto a lower bench. So, I did all of my step-ups, knowing FULL WELL I was pushing off the back leg. This was *the* lame-est moment I have had doing NROL4W. LAME! I totally have to smarten up and just go to a lower bench and let my leg muscles get stronger and stronger. I'm so ashamed.....

3. My push-ups felt pretty good. I went down to 15 degrees for the second set. I feel kind of *hopeful* that if I do 15-10 next time, 10-5 the time after, and then 5-0, I'll be on the ground about 2.5 weeks from now. So, the end is IN SIGHT!

4. I got through the planks and the wood-chops. Like.
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    I did my first workout in this stage and I loved except for those frigging push/press thingys. They kicked my butt!!!:ohwell:

I'm excited to do 2B on Wednesday! Bring it on!!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I am going to start Stage 2 tomorrow (finally after staying in stage 1 forever...). Is it bad that I want to continue to do regular squats? I want to be able to squat my weight.....I'm not to fat away either. Has anybody done regular squats and bench press (or something else) instead of the push presses?? Am I wrong to want to try to change it?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I did an extended stage 1 so I could break 100lbs on squats and DL :smile: But I found that I really liked the squat/press combo when I got to stage 2! Something about having the bar in front instead of on my back helped with my form and I was able to squat a lot deeper than before. Also, I think it's one of those moves that kind of make me look like a bad@ss.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I don't think there's anything "wrong" with your approach, carrie....it just isn't strict NROL4W. (I'm doing ordinary seated rows instead of the one-legged DB row for Stage 2.) Having said that, I think you'll break your personal record, in ANY event...

I *do* like your excitement! For me, I've decided whether I squat my body weight in March or April or May isn't really relevant, anymore. What is relevant, for me, is that I keep making progress in that direction - and I feel like NROL4W is getting me ready for all of these PERSONAL RECORDS that everyone (else) is posting about.

Also, for me, I was ready to try some new things after Stage 1. Stage 2 is passing VERY fast! But, then I have a holiday break scheduled, so I actually won't return to NROL4W until mid-March. By then, all you folks will be ahead of me and I'll be straggling behind you (in Stage 3), which is fine.

I really like reading what is working for everybody else, how you've changed things up to meet your goals, etc.

It is all SO VERY INTERESTING! Such personal journeys!!
  • silvernswan
    silvernswan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Round 2 of workout A today!

Front squat push press felt a bit better today, my wrists didn't hurt so much, I also realised I didn't have to *stay* up on my toes at the top of the move, if I come straight back I won't stumble. I couldn't do them in one continous set though, each time I lowered the bar to my shoulders I had to reset a bit and take a breath or two. I'm still working on my squat form, and realised that although I was getting explosive push up, my knees were wobbling in a fraction as I came up. Although (one of) my goal(s) is to squat my body weight, I'm not worried about pushing the weight up until my form is better.

Step-ups: I read recently on another forum that the intention with the step-ups is to get at least a 90 angle at the hip, so I put the height of my step back up. I just couldn't manage the idea suggested here of not landing fully on the back leg (is that what you were talking about Beeps?) But I did try keeping my back leg straight and that reduced the amount of pushing with it.

Planks kill me, I couldn't manage the full 60s even though I was fine using 20kg (44lb) on the woodchop!?!

I find the one point row kinda fun, even though I feel really unco-ordinated doing it. I do have trouble getting my foot up as high as the models. And do you think the leg you are standing on is supposed to be completely straight, or have a slight bend?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Your woodchops are INSANE, silver!! Nice!

I do exactly like you on the push-press - I have to re-set every rep (at least to make sure my elbows are high enough in the air!). With the step-ups, you just aren't supposed to push-off with the back leg. With a lower-height bench, no problem (for me)....as soon as I put my bench at 20", I *know* I'm pushing off with my back leg because I simply can't even get started with the one leg....so, that's a FULL CHEAT. The *suggestion*, to eliminate the cheat, is to start at the top of the bench and go down, then up, without resting your foot at the floor on the motion. I cannot do this....that's how MUCH I CHEAT, actually. If I go down in bench height, then I can do it. But, for me, I've decided to keep my bench height at 20" and just NOT up my DB weight until I can do the friggin step-up without the CHEAT.

I think, with the one point row, the standing leg *is* supposed to be straight, but just not with a locked knee....does that make sense??
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I just got done with my first Stage 2 workout. I can't say that I like it yet. :(

*I did actually like the front squat/push press.
    * I HATE the one point rows. I had so much trouble with my balance that my back didn't get a very good workout. I actually may switch to regular dumbbell rows....
    * I HATE the woodchops--I have to do them on the floor or the ball because I workout at home. I didn't even feel it in my waist that much--that IS the muscle you are working, right?? Lol. It just felt very awkward.
    *Static lunge with foot elevated?? OMG--harder than regular lunges! That's good, I guess...

All in all, it was still a good workout. Anyone have any tips on those one point rows or woodchops? I feel like I could be doing more effective exercises in their place.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    carrie, I'm glad to read someone else likes the squat/push press!

I didn't want to fiddle with the "balance" issue (at this stage...I'll re-visit this decision in Stage 4!), either, re: one point rows. I just am doing regular seated rows, myself.

I *love* the woodchops. But, I'm at the gym and am using the pulley's, so, yep, I'd expect it would be a bit tougher at home. You are right that it WORKS THE WAIST.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today was workout B3...only one more of these one's left, so I wanted to KILL IT.

I didn't really kill it....but, I did move up 5 lbs in my deadlift (I tried to move up 10 lbs, but then was only able to do 6 reps). I *did* use a workout bench to rest my foot on in the bulgarian split-squat....which worked out just fine - I moved up to 2 weight-plates in that one. I also decided to use a HIGHER bench for the rear lunges. I'm not sure if this was a good decision, or not, but it sure felt A LOT more like a "step-up" than what I had been doing...and, ultimately I felt it more where I want to (glutes).

And, I made it through the stupid ab work. On another site, when I asked, "what can I do besides these 3 things??" the instructor sent me the video of the prone jack-knife that's all over youtube, lol!! So, I wrote him back saying, "thanks, I agree, I'd rather be doing that, but that is Stage 1...and this is Stage 2."

On the *plus* side, I caught myself in the mirror, yesterday, and I kind of feel like my saddle-bags (which is my trouble area), are starting to slim down and have much less BUMP right below my butt. (Those of you who have saddle-bags will appreciate this!) It might have been illusion...or wishful thinking. I'm not sure. I just felt like the line down my body was smoothing out and, for the first time in my life, I could envision what I *might* look like WITHOUT saddle-bags altogether!

So, regardless of my work-out today, I'm BEAMING!!

And, I'm going out for V-Day dinner, tonight with my husband, so I will *celebrate* and then be RIGHT BACK ON NUTRITION TRACK.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Prone Cuban Snatch --

I did this for the first time today. It was HARD. I have two questions:

1 - Should this be a fluid mvoement, or is each part a distinct motion (as in you pass after raising your elbows to lift the weights)?
    2 - How heavy are others lifting? I'd love to get a feel for what others are doing!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Prone cuban snatch - I paused for a half-second in between the elbow lift and the forearm lift. And I started with 5lb dumbbells and ended with 8lb dumbbells.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Prone cuban snatch - I paused for a half-second in between the elbow lift and the forearm lift. And I started with 5lb dumbbells and ended with 8lb dumbbells.

That is so helpful to know! I'm not used to using anything smaller than a 20 lbs dumbbell for anything. I tried that once for this move and ended up laughing out loud at myself in a crowded gym because there was NO way it was happening. I bumped down to a pair of 10s but it was still a pretty big struggle to get through.

I was afraid maybe I was doing something very wrong!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did my cuban snatch(es) to the beat of the music on my ipod nano. Elbows up (beat), forearms up (beat), forearms down (beat), elbows down (beat). Perfect for all the 4-count (...or is it 8-count...) tunes I listen to!

I do 10 lb. DB on the cuban snatch. I started with 5's, but found it too easy!!