March/April WLS Conversation Thread

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! It's been a long time since I've been on the threads ... I just had to cut something out during these last very busy and frustrating months. However, I have found that I have missed all of you, I NEED all of your support, and I'm not doing very well on my own. So, today I'm starting over (again), trying to reclaim control over my eating and exercise habits. I'm pretty sure that staying active on here will help keep my focus from straying like it has the last few months. I'm only up 9 lbs. from my lowest weight, but I refuse to go any higher than that!!

For those of you who are new here (or new to me since I was last active), I had sleeve surgery on 9/15/2010 and have maintained a loss of roughly 75 lbs. give or take. I have lots of health and lifestyle impediments to my success, but I have accepted that I just have to work longer and harder to achieve my goals than most. Such is life!!

BRAVO for Reaching out before u regained any more weight. Success is never giving up. I struggle too and still have not reach goal. I am still better today than I was 8 years ago. Much better off and very thankful for that. As stated you may need more. Keep experimenting until u find what works 4 u. Welcome back!!
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the board, MFP and WLS. I had RNY gastric bypass on 2/20/12. I am doing well so far and am looking for a place to come for support, advice and motivation. I am 2 weeks shy of my 50th birthday. Married, mother of 2 grown kids, retired with lots of 'hobbies' and 'unpaid work'. With my doctors permission, I just went off my soft foods diet and have begun eating food with texture. I must chew everything to a pureed consistency, but so far, so good. I had carrots and hummus for lunch. I travel a lot for 'work' and have already had 2 trips since surgery. Those have been very challenging. I force myself to weigh only once a week. I still have no idea what to expect in terms of weight loss. The fact that some of you have lost lots of weight in the first 6-10 months is very motivating. I think getting down to a managable weight quickly will make this journey easier. It will improve my ability to exercise and participate in the active lifestyle I want to lead.

I hope to get to know more of you soon.

Michelle
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Michelle, most people seem to lose about 50% of their excess weight by the six month mark. Here is another link to a tool to help determine what your loss might look like:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+op+planner.php

I'm 3.5 years out and have maintained my 200 pound loss. I work hard to stay at my goal weight.

Laura
  • angelintx
    angelintx Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Angelintx....I have found participation in online and real life support groups the number one thing that keeps me on track. When I stray I tend to "forget" that I had WLS and eat accordingly. That's one reason I started tracking my intake online again and participate in a few different WLS boards.

Welcome back!
    Thank you! I couldn't agree more. I definitely need the support and the tracking to stay successful. I'm really trying to focus on those things right now and take each step at a time to real things back in. :)
  • angelintx
    Options
    ScubaMom,

I so agree with you. I think support groups make a world of difference. The bariatric center where I had surgery has a support that meets once a month. Though the meetings are good, for me, that wasn't enough. MFP helped to fill in the gap. Unfortunately, when I do go to the once a month meeting, there are several people that are there that have not been successful. I really think that the weight loss clinic needs to offer support groups more like weight watchers- once a week at least.
    Same for my WLS center -- once a month is not enough! However, we really only have a handful of folks in there who have not been successful. Everyone else has changed their lives and are truly walking miracles. :)
  • angelintx
    Options
    Hi everyone!! It's been a long time since I've been on the threads ... I just had to cut something out during these last very busy and frustrating months. However, I have found that I have missed all of you, I NEED all of your support, and I'm not doing very well on my own. So, today I'm starting over (again), trying to reclaim control over my eating and exercise habits. I'm pretty sure that staying active on here will help keep my focus from straying like it has the last few months. I'm only up 9 lbs. from my lowest weight, but I refuse to go any higher than that!!

For those of you who are new here (or new to me since I was last active), I had sleeve surgery on 9/15/2010 and have maintained a loss of roughly 75 lbs. give or take. I have lots of health and lifestyle impediments to my success, but I have accepted that I just have to work longer and harder to achieve my goals than most. Such is life!!

BRAVO for Reaching out before u regained any more weight. Success is never giving up. I struggle too and still have not reach goal. I am still better today than I was 8 years ago. Much better off and very thankful for that. As stated you may need more. Keep experimenting until u find what works 4 u. Welcome back!!
    Thanks a lot Mollie!! It's sure great to see you on here and I'm thankful that this thread and all these wonderful people like you exist!! :)
  • angelintx
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the board, MFP and WLS. I had RNY gastric bypass on 2/20/12. I am doing well so far and am looking for a place to come for support, advice and motivation. I am 2 weeks shy of my 50th birthday. Married, mother of 2 grown kids, retired with lots of 'hobbies' and 'unpaid work'. With my doctors permission, I just went off my soft foods diet and have begun eating food with texture. I must chew everything to a pureed consistency, but so far, so good. I had carrots and hummus for lunch. I travel a lot for 'work' and have already had 2 trips since surgery. Those have been very challenging. I force myself to weigh only once a week. I still have no idea what to expect in terms of weight loss. The fact that some of you have lost lots of weight in the first 6-10 months is very motivating. I think getting down to a managable weight quickly will make this journey easier. It will improve my ability to exercise and participate in the active lifestyle I want to lead.

I hope to get to know more of you soon.

Michelle
    Congrats Michelle and welcome to our little group!! :)
  • angelintx
    Options
    Michelle, most people seem to lose about 50% of their excess weight by the six month mark. Here is another link to a tool to help determine what your loss might look like:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+op+planner.php

I'm 3.5 years out and have maintained my 200 pound loss. I work hard to stay at my goal weight.

Laura
    WOW, Laura, you're an inspiration -- maintaining 200 lbs. is amazing!! Glad to make your acquaintance!! :)
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome ladies. I look forward to being inspired here. Laura, thanks for the link. I just had dinner with a friend at her house. I ate a variety of new foods, all tolerated well. Tiny portions, concentrating on the proteins. Yeah!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Today is Pi Day! I love Pi(e).

In honor of Pi Day, I am thinking about making Apple Pie cake pops. I have some ideas for how to make them seem like you smooshed up an apple pie in them without actually baking an apple pie and that don't involve using a ton of sugar.
  • angelintx
    Options
    Today is Pi Day! I love Pi(e).

In honor of Pi Day, I am thinking about making Apple Pie cake pops. I have some ideas for how to make them seem like you smooshed up an apple pie in them without actually baking an apple pie and that don't involve using a ton of sugar.
    Cool! Let us know how it turns out! :)
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Today is my 3 month surg-iversary! :drinker: <--water/non-caffeinated tea. Seems both not that long ago and a very long time ago that I was at the hospital, waiting to go into the O.R. Still weird for me to try to wrap my head around the surgery and my changes sometimes.

Three months later, with absolutely no complications, I've lost 55 lbs and I've gained a whole ton of energy. My boyfriend has gained an appreciation for my backside, as he now has a habit of grabbing it. :laugh: If he likes saggy butt, I am the perfect woman for him!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Congrats Robyn_T!!

Welcome new ones!!
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mollie!

Question for the RNYers: At 3 months out, I can't take most pills. Tylenol recalled their adult liquid and I've been forced to use the super sugary children's version on the rare occassion I've had a headache that won't go away or I can't deal with anymore. When i use it, I'm more stressed, waiting for my system to try to dump the sugary medicine. I'd rather have something different if I can, so I don't have to worry. Any suggestions on pain relievers?
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Can your surgeon prescribe you something? Also, it depends on why you can't take pills. If they are just too big to go down well and they aren't time-release, you can just cut them two.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I agree with MacMadame. Also, there are chewables, even for adults but you MAY have to ask your pharmacist if they stock them. That's probably where I would start...the pharmacist may know of something that could help you. I bet there is SOMETHING because a lot of diabetics cannot use the sugary syrups, too.
  • angelintx
    Options
    Morning all!!! Hope everyone is having a good week and feeling strong and motivated!! :heart:
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I'm bored at work. Sigh.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    Doing pretty well here....doing a whole lot of nothing, which is great but can also seem like a time waster. Got myself a fitbit and using this week to see exactly where I stand (ha ha) with the whole "10,000 steps" thing....I am falling painfully short. Will attempt more walking next week when kids are back in school. Dinner tonight is chicken and dumplings! It's so good even my vegetarian daughter eats it! Rereading "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes; so much of what he says makes perfect sense and I try to put many of his points into practice. My poor bulldog puppy had surgery last week and has to have it again next week...but thankfully he is snoring peacefully beside me right now. Life is good!~~~~~~Marilyn
  • MacMadame
    Options
    When I was working out, I easily got 7000-10000 steps. The days I didn't were long bike ride days (so no stepping was happening, just pedal stroking). But now I average about 5000. I hope to go back to walking at lunch again starting next week so we'll see what that does to my step count.
This discussion has been closed.