the impossible crush

Options
13»

Replies

• kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, do I ever! He used to be my best friend. We aren't very close anymore, but I still love him to pieces. We have an incredible history. We went to college together, then he helped me find a job after college at the same place he worked. We were an hour and a half from home so we became each others only friend. He even moved in with me for a month when his a/c went out. He got hired at a new place and asked me to come with him, so I did. We taught side by side for two years. We became close and when I left that school (we didn't leave together that time), we became even closer. We became best friends, and I'm talking incredibly close. We were together all the time, pretty much inseparable. When I entered into my most recent relationship, we grew apart. I wasn't able to balance the intensity of our friendship with the relationship. That relationship has been over for a while, but our friendship has never really bounced back.

You would think with as incredibly close as we were, that at some point it would've turned into the dream I very much wanted. It never did. He just never saw me that way. For several reasons really. For one, I think he just knows me better than anyone else - flaws and all. And for another, I haven't been the confident, thin girl I am now. Perhaps that shouldn't matter, but it does.

Sometimes I think I couldn't actually date him either. I mean, I know all of his flaws too :laugh: . I also know he'll always have a piece of my heart. :heart:
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yup, but he lives in another state and doesn't really give me the time of day. Sigh.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, do I ever! He used to be my best friend. We aren't very close anymore, but I still love him to pieces. We have an incredible history. We went to college together, then he helped me find a job after college at the same place he worked. We were an hour and a half from home so we became each others only friend. He even moved in with me for a month when his a/c went out. He got hired at a new place and asked me to come with him, so I did. We taught side by side for two years. We became close and when I left that school (we didn't leave together that time), we became even closer. We became best friends, and I'm talking incredibly close. We were together all the time, pretty much inseparable. When I entered into my most recent relationship, we grew apart. I wasn't able to balance the intensity of our friendship with the relationship. That relationship has been over for a while, but our friendship has never really bounced back.

You would think with as incredibly close as we were, that at some point it would've turned into the dream I very much wanted. It never did. He just never saw me that way. For several reasons really. For one, I think he just knows me better than anyone else - flaws and all. And for another, I haven't been the confident, thin girl I am now. Perhaps that shouldn't matter, but it does.

Sometimes I think I couldn't actually date him either. I mean, I know all of his flaws too :laugh: . I also know he'll always have a piece of my heart. :heart:

:heart:

I just got back from the movies with the guy I'm falling for.. my friend. Ahhhh. :brokenheart: I just love being by him, laughing and talking.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Totally. First he was just co-worker, then he was my boss, then he got fired. We still talk/text all the time, but he has a girlfriend. :grumble:

It's just as well though, because I know he is a dirty dog who is incapable of treating me the way I deserve. I still have my fun flirting with him though, he makes me laugh. :blushing:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have a guy friend who used to be very very close, but has never been interested in me. We were friends back when I was married, and I thought his increased hanging out after I became single was him liking me. It wasn't. I was the safe, fun, girl he could hang out with and ask about girls he really liked. No intimacy (not even hand holding), so I finally got it through my thick head that I will never be the kind of girl he actually wants. And now I don't want to be.

Even though I knew it wouldn't work out (he's yet to date someone who is similar in personality to me) it still hurt to see him with girls that don't appreciate how awesome he is, who just take advantage of him and hurt him whereas I liked him for *him* not what he could do for me materially.

I seriously had to stop hanging out with him. Only that distance gave me the perspective to see that he wasn't right for me.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I don't let myself have crushes on people. Sometimes I think I'm going to end up as the crazy old cat lady :grumble:
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Yeah, but sometimes you don't even realize how deeply you care about someone... til they show up with someone else on their arm.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I have a crush. Just one. Single, intelligent and beautiful. But she lives in a different state.

Go for it! Dallas has cheap flights to just about anywhere!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It has been a a few years. Last time it happened it was someone who already had a bf at the time.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I do have one presently.

I have had them before too. Not sure if it is some psychological thing to want the person who is least available to me or what. :ohwell:

Me too! It is so annoying! I had one that I had written off a few years ago because he moved cross country/went to grad school. yadda yadda. We could never seem to work things out. I forgot all about him, and he starts popping up on my facebook feed, I run into a mutual friend or acquaintance and they ask me about him. I swear it is a conspiracy.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Yeah about 14,000 Kms away impossible
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I haven't had an impossible crush since I was heavier. . . Now, amazingly, I'm used to getting what I want (whether they're attached or not). . . I think it gives me a false sense of my appeal.

The issue now isn't having an impossible crush, but finding someone I think is crush worthy. . . It's been ages - I miss crushing. . . I think I'm too pragmatic to crush at this point. Curse common sense!
  • Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have one but it's just hormones. He's an A-hole. I'm trying to get over it.
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yep....have one, he's 4,000 miles away...but we're both each others impossible crush...so maybe some day it won't be impossible anymore.... <<hopefully>>
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    :huh:

I can't believe how many of you have crushes on other peoples husbands!

I was thinking that same thing!!
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This one isn't really impossible, but I find it rather awkward. One of my best friends from high school and my college roommate recently got married. I hadn't seen his younger sister in 5-6 years and she, now 24 or 25, was looking quite good at the wedding. We chatted for a while and whatnot, but I just feel too weird to pursue anything.
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    YES! Mine lives about a 10 hr drive from me. Being that far away, not a whole lot of sense in starting anything. But we're good friends!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I don't like to think of my crush as impossible..... just very challenging. :)