Obesity and NROL4W

Options
I posted in the intro forum and am currently waiting for the paperback version of the book to turn up (I have it on my iphone currently), so that I can get started properly. All the pictures and I've seen so far of people's before and after pictures are people that were slim and relatively fit already. I am neither of those things. I am 5ft 1 and 167 lbs which puts me in the lower end of the obese category.

Has anyone done this programme that started off as obese? How did you cope? Any advice?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I didn't start this program when I was 160 pounds, but I was lifting at 160. You just do the work at the weight that you can and use the alternatives when necessary. It's also important to remember that there is a difference between muscle fatigue + soreness from working hard and pain from doing something wrong.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I posted in the intro forum and am currently waiting for the paperback version of the book to turn up (I have it on my iphone currently), so that I can get started properly. All the pictures and I've seen so far of people's before and after pictures are people that were slim and relatively fit already. I am neither of those things. I am 5ft 1 and 167 lbs which puts me in the lower end of the obese category.

Has anyone done this programme that started off as obese? How did you cope? Any advice?

ooo ooo me me!!

I am in stage one. Not only am I obese, but I am also a beginner. Just start where you are. Building lean body mass will only help us lose weight faster!

I find the program just the right balance of challenging. It is exciting and I am already seeing a difference in my ability to perform the exercises.

Feel free toPM me if you have more questions.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    The way the program is designed it builds you up slowly, so as long as you have no serious injuries or other major medical conditions, you should be able to start just fine. Everybody has to start somewhere, right? The program recommends 3 workouts a week, but if you're just starting out two workouts a week is fine. As you start to progress and improve your fitness, you can always add in a third workout later.

You already lost quite a bit of weight on your own through diet, so now seems like a good time to start. Maybe just try alternating the two workouts with two days of light cardio (jogging, easy bike riding) and see how it goes for two weeks? I have a feeling that once you start the program you'll really like it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm obese...not new to the gym either, and I'm going to give this a whirl lol...I have 50lbs to lose, that's a lot of *kitten* to be hauling up and down the steps.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm on stage 5 and I've had no trouble doing this program even though I have a quite a ways to go with my weight loss.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Definitely. 5'2" and 195 lb, and loving every minute of it!!
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 205 pounds. I am a beginner to lifting, but not fitness. I was 260 at my heaviest and have stalled out and needed to try something different as cardio was not getting me anywhere. I have slowly been gaining over the last few years even though I kept exercising and kept my calories low. Eat less, burn more, right? Yeah, wasn't working anymore. I learned that bigger muscles burn more calories throughout the day so why not start now and not wait to 'tone up'. Just make sure to use proper form, especially when using your legs. By the end of Stage One I was experiencing some knee pain. I discovered that I was doing 'knee squats'. On my descent with the bar I started by bending my knees when I should have started the movement by bending at the hips... Ths has made a huge difference. Be careful with your joints and listen to your body. Muscle pain can be expected, not joint pain.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've started a blog for this very reason. There is little info out there about obese women doing this program and losing weight. (Though I do know Alwyn has a lot of success with getting women to drop weight) Most of the people who respond to this question were smaller to begin with. I've only just started the program (just finished week 3 of workout 1) but the link is on my profile page.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I've started a blog for this very reason. There is little info out there about obese women doing this program and losing weight. (Though I do know Alwyn has a lot of success with getting women to drop weight) Most of the people who respond to this question were smaller to begin with. I've only just started the program (just finished week 3 of workout 1) but the link is on my profile page.

Thanks Lozze but your profile is private.
    Can you post the link in here?
  • Lozze
    Options
    Sorry hadn't realized that it was private! Updated to public but the link is http://laurenedwards.blog.com
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am obese and not new to lifting (refer to pic). I have the book on it's way from Amazon.

Looks like from others' comments, the book is helpful at anyone's weight stage?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I was obese when I started another weight lifitng programme and lost a lot of weight while changing my body shape.

Any form of lifting for anyone big or small is a bonus. You will notice a change with lifitng no matter what size you are. Just remember to step away from the barbie weights hehe
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

I've had this same question going through my mind for a few weeks ago when I came across this group and purchased the book. I'm still reading the book and do not want to start until I've read the whole thing and understand it so I have another week or so before then.
    Thank you Lozze for your post and your blog. You are very inspiring and I look forward to watching/reading your continued progress in weight loss and lifting. I'm doing C25K also and start week 7 tomorrow but I know I need something else to keep the weight coming off and I really am not into "aerobics" or zumba or anything like that. Weight lifting seems to be a good direction for me, especially in the fat burning area! :bigsmile:
  • Lozze
    Options
    Just an update, in my second week I lost 2.2kg/4.8lbs. So it doesn't slow it down but I doubt I'll get those results every week!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly I'm not looking for huge weight loss on this system. I'm more looking to build muscle and then after this is over once I'm fit to start losing weight. If anything from this programme I'm looking for fat loss. If I maintain my weight and shrink, it'll be a good thing.

As far as I've gotten I've found that actually being obese really doesn't hinder you all that much. If you're really obese you might have movement issues but I'm not.
  • Lozze
    Options
    Quite honestly I'm not looking for huge weight loss on this system. I'm more looking to build muscle and then after this is over once I'm fit to start losing weight. If anything from this programme I'm looking for fat loss. If I maintain my weight and shrink, it'll be a good thing.

As far as I've gotten I've found that actually being obese really doesn't hinder you all that much. If you're really obese you might have movement issues but I'm not.

Everyone's different. When I first started this at 137kg I was still able to do weights. I was able to play softball, walk on a treadmill and do the elliptical. Yet there are people who are my current size who would probably struggle to do that, let alone what I now do at the gym. Weight is not a way to determine fitness.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the first time i did the program i gained tons of muscle but didnt lose any weight or that many inches.

i think even in the book alwyn says that the diet plan is helpful for those who have a significant amount of weight to lose.

what i'm doing this time around is cycling my calories from 300 below my maintenance - my maintenance. what i'm going for this go round is strength building, fat loss and weight loss. i'm not really looking to build muscle since i have plenty of that already (thanks to my first go round with the program :happy: )
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I'm 5'5" and 209lbs and have been wondering the same thing. I especially feel like... should I REALLY eat my maintenance calories for the first stage? It seems so counterproductive but I'll try to have faith!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i just realized there was an important typo in my first post.

they said that the meal plan is NOT helpful for anyone who's obese and have a lot of weight to lose.