Options

Replies

• Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Today for dinner I'm making a crustless quiche with smoked salmon & dill:

1 cup double cream (Heavy cream)
    3 beaten eggs
    2 large spring onions, chopped fine (Green onions/scallions)
    60g (2 oz) grated/shredded cheddar cheese (or any cheese)
    Fresh chopped dill (about 1 tbsp)
    Salt and black pepper
    200g (3/4 cup) chopped smoked salmon

Lay the 'dry' ingredients into a greased ovenproof dish & pour over the cream/egg mixture. Top with extra cheese. Bake at 180 c /375 F for 20-25 mins.

Makes 4 portions- 1g carbs per portion.

Oh man....I'm coming to visit YOU!!!!! :bigsmile: That sounds completely amazing!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I eat low-carb(diabetes) and gluten -free (celiac), so subbed some ingredients. Makes 2 servings
    Per Serving with my subs: 268 calories 12g carb 21g fat 13g protein 11g fiber

1/4 cup flour - I subbed golden flax meal....next time will sub almond or coconut flour as I'm really not thrilled with the taste of flax.

.5 tsp kosher salt - I didn't use salt as the parm is salty enough

1 large eggs, beaten - I used 1/4 c egg substitute

3/4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs) - I used 1/4 c grated parmesan

1 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-in. wedges

Grated parmesan for serving (optional) - I didn't use since i breaded with parm

Preheat oven to 450.

Coat avocado slices in the four, then egg, then panko. Spread on a cooling rack that has been sprayed with non-stick spray, then place on a cookie sheet. Spray the top of the wedges with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then bake for about 20 minutes at 450, or until they are golden brown.

Delicious!
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Anybody used crushed pork rinds as a sub for panko or bread crumbs? They're not terribly yummy to eat by themselves (in my opinion) but the uber crunchy could work for something like a cracker crumb replacement maybe? Maybe in a meatball or as a crunchy topping on a veggie/cheese bake?

Don't want to wreck a recipe without hearing how/if others have used. Ideas?

Sus
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I would love to try that. Unfortunately, I have been completely unsuccessful at finding pork rinds at ANy of my local grocery stores :-(
    Anybody used crushed pork rinds as a sub for panko or bread crumbs? They're not terribly yummy to eat by themselves (in my opinion) but the uber crunchy could work for something like a cracker crumb replacement maybe? Maybe in a meatball or as a crunchy topping on a veggie/cheese bake?

Don't want to wreck a recipe without hearing how/if others have used. Ideas?

Sus
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    I would love to try that. Unfortunately, I have been completely unsuccessful at finding pork rinds at ANy of my local grocery stores :-(

I was in a not-normal store for me when I found them - it was in a largely hispanic populated area - so they had a whole aisle of 'hispanic foods' and this was in the treats section labeled as "Chicharrones". They also had them in a display with summer sausage, pepperoni and the jerky at that store. I will admit they are not so great tasting by themselves (the plain ones anyway - maybe the flavored ones are better) but the crunch is appealing. I need to find something else to do with them. :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Lunch: Low carb 'nibble box' with mixed olives, cubed feta cheese, mixed cured meats.

Dinner:

Savoury crepe stuffed 'calzone pizza' style with a filling of salmon chunks and spinach in a cheesy sauce, folded then topped with extra cheese and baked for 10 mins. Served with a mixed leaf salad.
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    Usual breakfast: 2 'better n egg plus' scrambled servings (half cup equiv), 2 turkey sausage patties and an ounce of smoked cheddar

lunch: leftover salmon (marinated in some grill spices), and a salad and some smoked string cheese

dinner: baby portabello pizzas (with hunt's no sugar added marinara, provolone, and turkey pepperoni), and some sauteed zucchini and a bit of leftover smoked chicken.

I'm really low on my calories for today, so may try to add something else.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

I was in a not-normal store for me when I found them - it was in a largely hispanic populated area - so they had a whole aisle of 'hispanic foods' and this was in the treats section labeled as "Chicharrones". They also had them in a display with summer sausage, pepperoni and the jerky at that store. I will admit they are not so great tasting by themselves (the plain ones anyway - maybe the flavored ones are better) but the crunch is appealing. I need to find something else to do with them. :)

I was going to suggest trying local Hispanic grocery stores. Sometimes they even have fresh ones (sometimes called pork cracklins - not sure of the Spanish word for them, however). My local store has them at the deli counter, sold by weight. Sometimes they go stale, but I crisp them back up in the oven. :)

The flavored ones sometimes have added MSG or torula yeast (a by-product of paper-making?!), so I skip them. I've gotten used to the plain ones. Depends on the brand, too.

I have heard of others using crushed pork rinds as a "breading", but I haven't tried it yet, myself. I'm curious to try making my own mozzarella sticks like this,though! :)
  • shar140
    Options
    Laura: the nibble box sounds delicious! :)

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with leftover ham

Lunch: homemade cobb salad (adding leftover turkey & ham to some bagged salad)

Brought some homemade turkey jerky for a snack if I want it. I try not to snack, though.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    I eat low-carb(diabetes) and gluten -free (celiac), so subbed some ingredients. Makes 2 servings
    Per Serving with my subs: 268 calories 12g carb 21g fat 13g protein 11g fiber

1/4 cup flour - I subbed golden flax meal....next time will sub almond or coconut flour as I'm really not thrilled with the taste of flax.

.5 tsp kosher salt - I didn't use salt as the parm is salty enough

1 large eggs, beaten - I used 1/4 c egg substitute

3/4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs) - I used 1/4 c grated parmesan

1 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-in. wedges

Grated parmesan for serving (optional) - I didn't use since i breaded with parm

Preheat oven to 450.

Coat avocado slices in the four, then egg, then panko. Spread on a cooling rack that has been sprayed with non-stick spray, then place on a cookie sheet. Spray the top of the wedges with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then bake for about 20 minutes at 450, or until they are golden brown.

Delicious!

OOOOh these sound yummy! :smile:

When I want something with chips (Fries for you non-brits) I peel and chop a white turnip into chunky 'fires' and pop them in the deep fryer or oven bake them with seasonings. They are great and pretty much taste like regular chips/fries!!!!!

I urge you to try them- I had some with bratwurst & mustard the other day- heavenly!!!!!!!!
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Dinner tonight:

Greek lamb skewers- chunks of lamb marinated in evoo, lemon juice & oregano then put onto skewers and grilled.

Served with lettuce, cucumber, olives, feta, green onions and tzatziki sauce.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I want some finger food tonight, Jalapeno Poppers, Stuffed Mushrooms, and Chicken-kabobs.
  • 86toronado
    Options
    I just ate some leftover stuffed cabbage (subbed oat bran for the rice, got it to 12g net carbs) for lunch. Dinner will be turkey chili, which is a little heavy on the carbs at 19g net. It's a recipe I made prior to going low carb, had some left in the freezer, so I'm eating it up. I made some subs to the recipe on MFP and got it down to 14g per serving for future batches.

Last night I had the most amazing pizza though, I thought I should share:
    1 light flat-out wrap -7g net carbs
    1/2 cup of Rozzeti (BJ's brand) marinara sauce-3g net carbs
    1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese - 2g carbs
    10 slices of pepperoni - 0g carbs
    I brushed the wrap with EVOO and toasted in the oven for 5 minutes while I got everything else ready, then topped it like a pizza, and baked it again for 8 minutes. Delicious, I ate the whole thing for only 12g of carbs!
  • shar140
    Options
    Yesterday...
    B: eggs and ham
    L: frozen veg (broc, caul, squash mix) and corned beef brisket leftovers
    Snack: dried figs (Finally got rid of them! too many carbs) and some cheese
    D: salad with some pepperoni and cheese on top (I've been craving pizza). Also had some salami & cheese cuz I was still hungry (haha)

Today...
    B: eggs & ham (we have a lot of both!) and a T of almond butter
    L: frozen veg, leftover turkey & ham, and some shredded cheese thrown on the veg
    Snack: half an avocado, if I'm hungry
    D: not sure yet, but there are some leftover lamb chops calling my name! lol

I feel like as long as I have some leftover protein to have for dinner, and some veggies readily available (bagged salad or some frozen, till more fresh are in season), I don't have to put a lot of thought into planning ahead too much, like I did eating lower fat & higher carb. (I'm also eating gluten free now..tummy issues) But I love seeing all the other ideas here! :happy:
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    Today - my usual breakfast - 2 eggs (egg substitute actgually), 2 turkey sausage patties and an ounce of cheese
    lunch: stuffed green pepper - 1 green bell pepper (steamed), stuffed with 4 oz of browned ground pork, mixed with 1/8 cup Hunt's no sugar added marinara, about .75 tsp of minced garlic, and topped with about 1/2 ounce of shredded cheddar - baked for about 15-20 mins; with a side salad (spinach, mushrooms, a couple of grape tomatoes, and topped with bacon/ranch dressing).
    Tonight: leftover smoked chicken and sauteed zucchini

Found some stuffed porkchops at my super target - stuffed with cheddar and bacon (Omg!) that I can't wait to make later this week.
    Tomorrow will be my challenge - have to be at the airport at 6:30 am, will get home just in time to go to Volleyball tonight at 6. All my meals tomorrow will be 'on the go' so no real ability to pre-plan.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Breakfast: 2 smoked salmon, spring onion & dill egg muffins (cooked ahead last night)

Lunch: 2 cauliflower 'faux-lafels' with salad & olives

Dinnder- 2 chicken breasts stuffed with chorizo & wrapped with smoked bacon, served with 1/2 a roasted red bell pepper and lettuce (dressed in evoo & parmesan shavings).
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    What's everybody doing for Easter meals?
  • sharonwitten
    Options
    That's what I want to know what's everybody doing for Easter meals?
  • sharonwitten
    Options
    I have been debating it myself. I had a recipe that called for these but I used cornflakes instead because I wasn't sure about the pork rinds either. Hope to hear if someone answers this.
  • sharonwitten
    Options
    I need quick low carb lunch ideas. I don't have a lot of time to prepare lunch and need something besides cabbage soup.