introduction

Options

Replies

• sueset
    sueset Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea. I've never done this before. If I start the group can anyone start a discussion?
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your amazing weightloss - keep up the great work!
  • Jwynn28
    Jwynn28 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello!
    Glad to see there is a group here at MFP that fits me perfectly! I am a 47 recently divorced mother of 2; a 19 year old daughter and an 18 year old son. I am now embarking on the second part of my life after 22 years of marriage. Both kids live with me and will both be in college in the fall. As you can guess, we all come and go as ships passing in the night. My major household job is to stock the fridge and cabinets, cook and clean and take them out to eat when they are tired of my cooking. Their girlfriend and boyfriend are like having two more children to take care of...!

I work two jobs (one as an executive assistant and the other as a group fitness instructor) and recently changed jobs within my primary day-job company; so, divorce, job change, new home, new relationship and ability to travel has brought me to here. Life is really good so I've decided to take better care of myself so I can enjoy the second part more than the first. I have always fought the 10 - 30 lb battle, high cholesterol and low back pain. My goal is to drop some weight to improve my numbers, feel better and hopefully live longer.

I need to say how impressed I am with everyone at this site who has come forward to tell their story. You should be proud of what you've accomplished even if you don't think it is good enough or it is a daily struggle. You all are my inspiration!
    [/quote]
  • perpetualsharon
    perpetualsharon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of two, daughter 21 and son 15. Happily married for 9 years. I am 39, will be 40 in July. My birthday present to me is to be 39 forever and at least look like I am 39 for as long as possible. :wink:

Seriously though, I have been spent the last 20+ years of my life taking care of my family and putting myself on the back burner. They don't need Momma around as much anymore so I am finding myself with a lot more free time and a much bigger butt. It's about time I started using this free time for "good". I think if I make it to my goal weight I can rule the world. Seriously! :laugh:
  • dine68
    dine68 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there! I am a 43 year old single gal. I recently had WLS last Dec/2011. I've currently lost 48 pounds and hoping to lose about 90 more to get to goal. Glad to be part of this group. :smile:
  • TinkerBell410
    TinkerBell410 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 43 year old (44 in 3 weeks) mother of 3 girls, ages 23, 22, &19, and a grandmother to an adorable 16 month old little boy. I was married for 22 years and have been going through a very long and emotional divorce process the past two years. After he left I realized I needed to take care of myself and have finally became my top priority. I started out at 240 lbs and when I reached 205 I found this app and have been using it ever since. I have lost a total of 81 lbs with 46 of that since starting MFP. I try to work out at least 3-4 days a week to help reshape my body and it helps with the stress. My youngest daughter has multiple disabilities and isn't able to stay by herself, so all my workouts are done at home. She is also one of the reasons I am doing this. Taking care of her is also physically demanding, so I need to be in the best shape I can be to take care of her for as long as she needs me.

I recently went back to a town where I lived for 6 years and plan to move back to. Everyone was shocked at my weight loss but I still heard people say it wasn't possible for me to lose anymore weight or to get rid of anymore of the jiggle. I think I heard it so much that it started to get in my head. I am trying to remind myself that I can do it because I want it and I'm worth it. I also remind myself that I used to hear how it was impossible to lose weight after turning 40, but I've done it!

I've never joined a group or posted anything, but I've been struggling these past couple of months and realized the support of a group could give me the inspiration I need.

Liz
  • janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi & Welcome, I've have just recently joined...44 yo single mom!! It's very inspirational to see you've lost ALL of that weight...is your diary open, I would like to see what you eat...I'm looking for some different food that I can eat.
  • TinkerBell410
    TinkerBell410 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I will open my diary but don't know that you will get many ideas from me. I mostly eat the same foods because it is easier to know the correct portion size. My splurge is dark chocolate almost every day and we walk to the frozen yogurt place for a treat instead of ice cream. If there is junk food in the house I eat it so we just don't have it here if I can help it. I also try to eat raw almonds and blueberries every day for their health benefits (healthy or not they taste good).

My biggest secret about trying to eat within my goal is that I fix my daughter something to eat and if it is too high in calories than I fix myself something else. I also don't deprive myself if I really want something, but I ALWAYS record it no matter what.
  • zanmarie
    zanmarie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi! I hope you have room for one more. ;)

I will turn 40 this fall. I have two young children - 7 and 2 years old.

I'm hoping to lose about 50 pounds, but it's very challenging and slow!
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    And yet another! I'm 41 years old, married for almost 18 years, (dated my hubby for 5 before that!), and we have 3 kids- 17, 15 and 5. I had been doing great on MFP and had almost reached my goal when I (happily) learned I was pregnant, began eating extra calories per my doctor, and subsequently miscarried. Now, 5 months later, I find myself needing to lose 30 pounds, again. I know once my mind is made up nothing will stop me. Having a group of women with our unique age range where suddenly dieting isn't so easy as we transition into a new stage of our lives is incredibly wonderful. I look forward to reading and learning hints and ideas from each other here! This is great!
  • Marcia421
    Marcia421 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will be 43 in 15 days. I have been married for 17 years on Saturday ( I like to group my celebrations LOL). I have 2 boys 12 and 15. My husband and I started on MFP a few months ago, he has lost 10lbs, I have lost 3. Ideally I need to lose about 30lbs total to be at a healthy bmi. Guess I have not taken this very seriously yet and need some friends to keep me on track. I am looking forward to having a group that is in the same stage of life with the same trials and triumphs.
  • Jennese
    Jennese Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! My name is Jennese and I live in Ohio. I just turned 40 in January and I am determined to get healthy! I may be determined, but I lack motivation...LOL! I've tried just about every diet out there, losing weight, then gaining it back. I hope with MFP, I can lose it and KEEP it off. My goal is to lose 80 pounds, not only to look and feel better, but to be healthy also.
  • Supersal45
    Options
    Hi, im Sally, 45, two beautiful girls who are my life, but if i dont get rid of some excess weight then i may not be around for much of theirs. Three years ago i got myself a personal trainer who helped me lose about 30 kilos, but in the past 12 months i have put 10 of those back on and have had to give up the pt due to increased cost, its not the exercise tbing that does my head in it is the food, too many conflicting thoughts on whats good or bad, eat this dont eT
    eat that, do this, stay awayfrom that then tweclve months later it all gets changed and all the foods u tbought that were good to eat u now discover are on the bad list. I just need to get motivated to hang in there and keep going i have just started crossfit and now doing my fitness pal so is there light at the end of the tunnel......YES, i have to believe there is, besides if i eat myself to death who is going to take care of my beautiful family.....anyway thats a tiny piece of me....next:
  • LisaGaimadi
    LisaGaimadi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    My name is Lisa and I'll be 45 in July.
    I never had weight issues in my teens or twenties, but started gaining in my 30s...as a mother of two little girls.
    Well, those girls are 16 and 18 now, and I have no more excuses...the time is now.
    I've been told I don't look my age, and while that's nice to hear, it's simply not enough.
    I want to take back some control in my life.

I joined MFP 4 weeks ago and am down 7 pounds and am starting to feel really great.
    I am doing this with my husband and another good male friend, but it's frustrating to see how quickly they lose and how much harder I seem to have to work for it, so I'd love to gain some support (and give it) with women who get it...who are my age and working toward a common goal!

I'm happy to be here and looking forward to getting to know you!!
  • marilu3
    marilu3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm 43 and the mother of 3 kids who are 11, 12 and 13, and as you can see... one lovely chocolate lab (who is also apparently about 10 lbs overweight!!). I'm feeling like for the first time in a long long time, I'm finally doing something for me. My kids are past the baby stage, I've just finished my Masters degree, and I feel like I've come up for air a bit. So it's been very encouraging to finally shed a bit of weight. Still have more to go, but for the first time I bought a pair of SMALLER pants yesterday. Wow.. what a feeling.
    Looking forward to finding some new connections through this group. I'm realizing, now that I've been excersizing, that some of the injuries and issues of the past are haunting my bod a bit--sore back, sore knee, etc. BUT---that's just another reason to get fit--so that I can get a handle on all of these things and not bring on other health problems by being overweight.
  • marilu3
    marilu3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you Lisa! I'd love to get my hubbie on board with this too... we'll see. Your comment that "no more excuses... the time is now" resonated with me so much --that's how I've felt. I joined in January, and really love this MFP--just the accountability of putting in my food is a huge wake up call.
    Thanks for joining. I've never joined a group before--but kind of like that there are people in similar stages of life.
  • LadyJos
    LadyJos Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi all, Im Jos. 45 going on 25 yrs married in August with 2 boys 22 and 18. I just joined MFP this week more for moral support and motiviation. You don't realize how much you give up a part of yourself to your family until it's too late. In the past few months I have to deal with my stress level, fibromaylia, anxiety, depression and who knows what other stuff I haven't actually acknowledge. I found myself at a cross roads. Where do I go from here? My kids dont need me as much, my husband has the dogs so who am I taking care of now? Well it's my turn now to get where I want to be. I want to get healthy, I want to feel good and shoot I want to look good too! I have the time to do more I just have to stop with the excuses. It's just hard getting out of a rut. I guess that's why Im here. I'm hoping with friends that motiviate and support I will be able to continue moving forward.
  • Tyranade
    Tyranade Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I will be 45 next month and can't wait to turn back time! I have already lost quite a lot of
    weight but am finding it hard to shed the last few pounds. I'm also keen to get exercising
    since I have noticed that my fitness level have dropped significantly lately ;-)
    I have three kids at home aged 4, 6 and 7 so I really need to keep up! :-D
  • Redbarngirl
    Options
    Hello everyone ! Let's see, what would you like to know about me ? Hmmm...I am married, 12 yrs in October to the love of my life.:heart: No children due to infertlity issues, dang uterus & ovaries :mad: ! I am 44 yrs.old & we live in the Mitten State, hold up your right hand palm facing up and where there is a crease in your thumb that is about where we are !

I have more or less been overweight most of my adult life. Highest being on my wedding day at 190lbs. Currently, I am 172 lbs. and I am looking to shed about 20-25 lbs. by my 45th birthday which is in November. Hormones issues have been causing a great deal of havoc lately. Can anyone else relate ?

Feel free to "friend" me , looking for supportive, empowering and encouraging people to be my padre's in losing the pounds !!:flowerforyou:
  • powerofhope
    Options
    Hi! Can totally relate to the hormone thing, I went thru menopause 4 years ago & the weight issue has been a pain in my butt....(which got bigger,too). I have a problem of alot of fat around my middle.....also hate to exercise!

Anyway, we can encourage each other.....get u to your goal for your bday!

:smile :smile: