Welcome and Intros!

Options

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    My name is Sherri. I got inspired to start lifting after seeing several womens "success stories" on the boards. I purchased my book through Amazon and finished about 2 weeks ago but needed to figure out the workout patterns before beginning.
    Thats the only bad point about the book is the workout routine set up, its a little confusing. Other than that, I really like the book and have been really excited about lifting.

I'm almost done with C25K and although I have not signed up for a 5k to do, I wanted to get something else going so I had a "plan" rather than get lazy and decide to stop working out altogether since I was about to finish C25K.

I'm eager to make friends that are doing NRoL4W so I'm hoping this is the place I need to be.

Stats:
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight 235lbs
    No idea of BF%, I'm due for an assessment. Hopefully will get it done soon.
    Dietary Restrictions: milk - lactose intolerant
    Goals: 60lb total loss by my birthday in July, 100+ lbs by the end of 2012 - will reassess at that time.
    Where are you in NRoL4W: Workout 2B tomorrow night

Hi Sherri! Welcome. I know the workouts can seem complicated but once you get the hang of it it will be easy. They're set up that way for a specific reason - to get the most of your muscles and time! Plus, most other weight work outs will be similar so once you have it down you'll be good to go!
  • Febes24
    Febes24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello all I'm Febes 21 years old
    5'8
    217 pounds
    Body fat 38% :mad:
    Currently trying to break a 5 month plateau
    Bought the book last week
    Started stage one on Sunday April 1st
    Having problems understanding it, hoping to understand it better by Wednesday day two of stage one or start all over which o really don't want to do.
    Goals 5 pulls up by summer which is June 20th
    20% body fat by 22nd birthday which is August 24th :ohwell:
    50 pushs more in a minute
    Barbell Squat 200 pounds by august 24th
  • chuisle
    Options
    Hello all I'm Febes 21 years old
    5'8
    217 pounds
    Body fat 38% :mad:
    Currently trying to break a 5 month plateau
    Bought the book last week
    Started stage one on Sunday April 1st
    Having problems understanding it, hoping to understand it better by Wednesday day two of stage one or start all over which o really don't want to do.
    Goals 5 pulls up by summer which is June 20th
    20% body fat by 22nd birthday which is August 24th :ohwell:
    50 pushs more in a minute
    Barbell Squat 200 pounds by august 24th

Hi Febes! Those are extremely ambitious goals! I have been lifting for about a year (with breaks) and I am no where neat those! More power to you to you!

Just FYI everyone, as I posted there is a bigger NROL lifting group too :)
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Name: Stefanie

Height: 5'8

Weight: 198 (finally back in onederland!)

Body Fat: 39.4 according to my scale

Dietary Restrictions: none

Goals: to be healthier, not to be out of breath anytime I do something physical. To feel decent in a bathing suit (then I want to feel GOOD in one!)

Where are you in NROL: as soon as I get the book, just ordered it yesterday

Other info/background: I have been on MFP for about 3.5 months and have lost 18 lbs on here (had lost 4 prior to MFP). Originally I had only wanted to lose weight, but I have seen some very inspiring photos on here showing the difference between "skinny fat" and toned. I want to be toned! I have been "soft" my whole life, even before I was overweight. It's time for a change. I was so excited to hear about this book and this group!

Finally got the book today! Can't wait to delve into it and get started.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Name: Steph
    Height: 5'3"

Weight: 125

Body Fat: 29.9

Dietary Restrictions: none

Goals: around 20% body fat, to be able to do regular push ups, 10 maybe?

Where are you in NROL: Ending stage 2

Other info/background: I have lost 56 pounds since April of 2011. Years ago it was 64 pounds. I went back into my bad habits and gained most of it back. I have been lifting for years with no set program and with no results. I'm really liking NROL4W.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Name: Stephanie

Height: 5'5"

Weight: 140.9 as of this morning

Body Fat: 26.5% (hand held on 2/27/12) 31.2% (pinch test on 2/27/12)

Dietary Restrictions: none really

Goals: widdle the middle, looked more toned and get closer to 20% body fat

Where are you in NROL: started stage 2 today

Other info/background: After I found out that I am what I would call "skinny fat", I have finally given up on losing weight! Now Im going to lose body fat. I had lost 50lbs before my son (who is 3 now) and have managed to keep 40lbs of that off. Im tired of dieting and being the "carido queen" and wanna life with the big girls now!
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Name: Louisa
    Height: 5'5.5"

Weight: 142 as of this morning

Body Fat: 26-27% right now (based on body composition scale)

Dietary Restrictions: none really

Goals: 23 - 24% body fat, loose the stomach pouch and have visible clavicles with a little hollow

Where are you in NROL: Starting Monday!!!

Other info/background: I have been playing around with weights since January. I started on the programme the trainer at the gym worked out (Using pink weights per his instructions) I soon found this boring and started going heavier and he started giving me more difficult excercises. I can do about 20 push ups on the floor and 12 to 15 assisted chin ups.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    i am trying to figure out the routine set up as well. Anyone have their own spread sheet they use for stage one? Woul dlove to see it.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Name: Mandy
    Height: 4'11"

Weight: 140

Body Fat: 33.9%

Dietary Restrictions: refined sugar cane and allergic to corn

Goals: around 22-24% to start and to get back in my size 4's

Where are you in NROL: half way through the book. I am hoping to start on Monday.

Question: I did the math on the calories in the book 1884 on non workout days and 2134 on workout days. Do I need to take -15% to create a defict if I am still needing to lose about 20lbs? Or do I eat what they tell me to and create a deficit by exercise? I am not finished reading the book, but that was the only thing that confused me so far.

Other info/background: I have never lifted heavy! I did weight lifting in highschool for PE but thats it. I am excited/nervous to start the program. I lost 7 lbs by eating low cal and then figure out I was starving myself and slowly bumped my calories up to 1700.
    I have lost 3 lb in like 3 months since bumping up but hardly any inches (really, only about 1/4th inch off each thigh maybe). I have been bored with cardio and really want to learn how to lift. Hopefully changing my exercise will help me lose some inches!!!

Please feel free to add me!!! I need friends that are going through the process at all stages.

Thanks guys!!
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello all

Weight 173
    Body fat 31.3
    No restrictions but am using the Dukan Diet currently
    Goals:
    Weight 154
    % body fat 25%
    A chin up!!

Starting today!

I used to lift many years ago, my husband works out all the time so will help me with my journey! My biggest fear is looking like a fool on the exercise ball!

I
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Heather.

I just bought my copy last night.

I'm 34. And am 5' 9".

I started dieting just before Christmas of 2011 (2 days before, I know bad timing), weighing 236.?. I set my first goal at 199. I went up to 239.? before getting serious around January 15th.

Currently, as of this morning, I am 213.6 lbs. With an estimated body fat, between 27 and 37% (from several different online caculators - I don't understand how there can be that much difference?) I am probably going to be some sort of anaylzer/scale soon (if you have any suggestions, I'm open.)

I had read about the NROLW on several forums and picked up my copy last night.

I am already 50 pages in to reading the whole thing, before actually starting it.

I might start it sooner, and I do do some strength training now, but not heavy; but my plan is to start on May 1st.
  • HWeatherholt
    Options
    Hi, I'm Heather.

I'm 34. And am 5' 9".

I started dieting just before Christmas of 2011 (2 days before, I know bad timing), weighing 236.?. I set my first goal at 199. I went up to 239.? before getting serious around January 15th.

Currently, as of this morning, I am 213.6 lbs. With an estimated body fat, between 27 and 37% (from several different online caculators - I don't understand how there can be that much difference?) I am probably going to be some sort of anaylzer/scale soon (if you have any suggestions, I'm open.)

I am already 50 pages in to reading the whole thing, before actually starting it.

I might start it sooner, and I do do some strength training now, but not heavy; but my plan is to start on May 1st.

I stopped on my way home from work, and bought a new scale that measures body fat. Got home set it all up. Steeped on my normal scale to check weight. Then just weighed on new scale and got exact same weight. Then weighed to get body fat along with weight, got same weight and 40.5% body fat.

WTF!

I know I'm overweight but I don't see myself as being that out of shape, heavy, look like I weigh that have that much body fat.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Hi, I'm Heather.

I'm 34. And am 5' 9".

I stopped on my way home from work, and bought a new scale that measures body fat. Got home set it all up. Steeped on my normal scale to check weight. Then just weighed on new scale and got exact same weight. Then weighed to get body fat along with weight, got same weight and 40.5% body fat.

WTF!

I know I'm overweight but I don't see myself as being that out of shape, heavy, look like I weigh that have that much body fat.

Try this one: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

It is about .2-.5 points shy of my measurements on my scale (which was rated one of the best for BF%)
  • HWeatherholt
    Options

It is about .2-.5 points shy of my measurements on my scale (which was rated one of the best for BF%)

That site gives me 27.8.

Again, how can there be such a dramatice difference?
  • HWeatherholt
    Options

What scale do you own?
  • nixirain
    Options

What scale do you own?

It's a Weight Watchers Glass Body Fat Scale

here is a link to the good housekeeping review: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/health-products/bathroom-scale-reviews/best-bathroom-scales#slide-22
  • chuisle
    Options
    Body fat scales are highly unreliable...I don't recommend them at all. Handheld devices with the same technology are marginally better (I have one) but still...the error range is pretty darn large. Your first best option is of course hydrostatic testing or a "bod pod" (I can bod pod sessions near me for $30) but that's unrealistic for me. Calipers, used by someone with good training, are better than the scales.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Body fat scales are highly unreliable...I don't recommend them at all. Handheld devices with the same technology are marginally better (I have one) but still...the error range is pretty darn large. Your first best option is of course hydrostatic testing or a "bod pod" (I can bod pod sessions near me for $30) but that's unrealistic for me. Calipers, used by someone with good training, are better than the scales.

I agree. I use mine purely because it was built in to my bathroom scale and for trending purposes.
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Liz

Height: 5'7``
    Weight: 170lbs
    BF: 32.8%
    Goal BF: 24%
    Goal weight: 140-150 lbs.

I bought the book a few days ago after reading about it on this site and will start it Monday! I`m excited, but intimidated by the weight room. What can you do but walk in and make it look like you know what you`re doing, right!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    hello, i'm Maab! my New Rules came in the mail yesterday and i'm THRILLED to start.

Height: 5'10"
    CW: 323
    GW: 170-180

the more muscle i can build, the faster my body will burn through this fat! also, i want a rockin bod - i'm not gonna lie - and to me, that means strong and beautiful.