Welcome ~ Please Intro.

Options

Replies

• caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Cari, and I was diagnosed with Diabetes in January 2001, eleven years ago at age 31. I was diet and exercise controlled until a couple of years ago when we added Metformin to the mix. My A1C is currently 5.7, and my hope is to keep it there or better (my best was 5.3). I have lost 100 pounds over the years, which has been extremely beneficial! I try to keep my calories between 1200-1400/day, and my carbs about 12 servings of 15g/day maximum. I usually exercise 6-7 days per week if possible, mainly walking.

My motivation in all of this is that I want to keep my vision, my healthy kidneys and liver, and all my limbs, and never have to be on dialysis! And of course, I also want to feel healthy, look healthy, and have more energy! Unfortunately, my sweet new mother-in-law is experiencing the early effects of her Diabetes, as she is beginning to have difficulty walking, decreased kidney function, and keeping her glucose under control. I am hoping we can work together and I can help her make better choices with her diet and find a way to help her exercise.

Namaste, Cari
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, diagnosed with diabetes last week. Waiting on my doctor to get back in contact with me. Only have spoken with the nurse, she gave me some helpful tips to get started on the right track. A1C is currently at 6.5, I was wondering the number of carbs I should not exceed? Glad I came to this site and its really helpful. Help started a walking and cut my calories. Need a little direction until the doctor contact me. Thanks
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    welcome....
    this is what i have done in the past and it's just the basic setup. your doctor will give you what he/she wants you to start at.
    first...your carbs should be even throughout the day. not just all at once.
    breakfast 45, lunch 45, dinner 45, morning and afternoon snacks are 15, evening snack is 30.
    my calories are set at 1600. all these numbers depend on your other blood work. your weight, height, all that good stuff. this should help you get started. also try dlife.com and the ADA site.
    keep reading and searching posts here and you should find loads of help.

again welcome
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    These are my two favorite websites. You can find anything you need on either. Good luck to all.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/recently-diagnosed/

WebMD.com
  • MyDonald
    MyDonald Posts: 3
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I was dignosised about 5 years with type 2 and I have been very laxadaisycal in my thought process of this. I am currently losing weight and would love to get off all of my meds. I currently have two boys, 27 and 17 and will soon be adopting my granddaughter. This is what sparked my intrest again in losing weight. I have to get healthy for that little girl. My A1C level this go around was up so I am trying to montor my food intake so this will go down soon. Thank you guys for letting me join your awesome group.
  • fitnessjunkie83
    Options
    Hello. Cynthia here, 29 yoa, originally from Northern Cali, now residing in Reno, NV. I'm in college, engaged but waiting for same-sex marriage to be legalized, no kids, 1 dog, a chihuahua/terrier mix, her name is Duchess <3 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in april 2010, I had changed my eating habits & lost about 45-50 lbs before I found out. Since then I have continued to eat healthy & exercise because I would like to lose more & hopefully rid of the diabetes. Here & there I go off track but I get right back on. It is not easy as I'm sure some of you know, but all I can do is keep pushing, I know I can do it =) I've read some of your intro's & they have motivated me. Thank you =)
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Lisa, type 2 for as long as I can remember, on insulin for as long as I can remember. This losing weight thing has been a challenge with the insulin, that's for sure. Also keeping blood sugars normal, sheesh. So much work.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am 57, type 2 for 10-12 years.....lost track. I am finally getting serious about my health. I took my meds all these years and pretty much ignored the fact that I was diabetic. Never lost weight, never ate right, never took care of myself. Stupid. I coulda beat this a long time ago. I finally faced up to what I need to do. I lost 22 pounds and vow every day that this time I will not stop exercising or eating right. I need to lose 60 or 70 more. I quit eating any wheat products except for my Pure Protein bars. I can't give them up....they are my candy. I pretty much gave up red meat (maybe eat it once every few months....love my tacos). I eat chicken dang near every day and I am getting sick of it. Love fish, hate to cook it. Anyone out there vegetarian diabetic? My best friend went vegan and feels great. I need quite a bit of protein to lose weight so I fear going vegetarian, though I would like to. Can't do vegan as I love my yogurt and eggs. And a lot of vegans seem a little silly to me about the whole 'don't kill the animals mentality' that some have. Sorry, don't mean to offend. Some days I actually DO have that feeling about animals.
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Hello to all the new group members!
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind thoughts. So far I thing I'm off to a fairly good start with losing the weight that I have so far. I'm still learn new things every day, but i know that i have along way to go.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just found these diabetic groups so I wanted to join. I had a family history of diabetes and when I gave birth to a baby boy who weighed 12lbs. 9 oz years ago I was told it was probably undiagnosed gestational diabetes (he was in NICU for a week) and if I was overweight when I was 40 I would become diabetic. I managed to hold off til I was 47- probably because I exercise LOTS. Then I went 2 years controlling it by diet. Then 50s and menopause hit- I can't lose weight, especially around the gut (i was told I have Metabolic Sydrome or Sydnrome X) and now I am metformin (glumetza- the time release form), januvia, diamacron and victoza. My last A1C was 8 I think (can't remember) but dr. said insulin is the next step. I am trying to get things in check and have had some success with better numbers lately but the weight still isn't coming off. I live in Ontario Canada so I would love to find some fellow MFP for support. I don't know how the numbers work in other countries- just that my target range is 5-7. Any new friends available??
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jackie, just turned 33 last April 6 and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in 2009 when I was at my highest weight. I admit that it was merely my fault because all those years I was in denial about being overweight & I ignored my prediabetes stage & continue to eat crap. Having this type of illness really is no joke, there are times wherein my blood sugar would crash & I will be feeling really dizzy, weak & about to faint. Not to mention that I cannot wear those shoes that I used to wear before because my feet are now gets sore easily.

Now that I'm at a healthy weight & body fat percentage, even though I still having those hypoglucemia attacks sometimes but at least its not very frequent unlike before. I'm still on the meds though & I hope I won't get into the stage wherein I will be needing some insulin injections.

Anyway its nice to meet all of you here who is undergoing the same journey. Wish you all the best :flowerforyou:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    welcome newbies......
    spend some time just searching about the group. you will find lots in information. most common is a healthy diet and exercise are the key. lowering your carb count to what your doctor advises are important. spread your carbs out evenly through out the day. it helps keep sugars level. it takes some work to put a good plan together for you.

welcome.....
  • zen_popcorn
    Options
    I am a 38yr old male t2 diabetic from Spanaway, WA. My name is Mikel. I was not surprised when I was diagnosed when both sides of my family have a significant history of diabetes. I had recently gained approximately 50 pounds over the last year. And received my diagnosis last summer. Do to not being on medication my insurance is not covering my meter strips. So I am controlling it mainly through carb counting and exercise. Using my meter sparingly.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Hi...names Ellen, I'm 52, from Tucson, Az. New to this site and dx'd with type 2 on May 11th of this year with an a1c of 6.9. I'm on Metformin 500 twice a day and also have HTN (2 meds) and cholesterol/lipid issues (2 meds) and OA of the knees which thankfully doesn't bother me unless I'm trying to get up off the floor.

My insurance is the pits and only covers 50 strips per month and one meeting with an RD, no DM education classes. She told me to eat 1753 calories and between 140-160 carbs daily. My MD told me to eat between 1200-1500 calories. MD wanted testing 3x daily post prandial but after my one month visit, seemed "ok" with the meter readings and testing once (and cursed all insurance companies). I'm currently testing with AccuChek.

I've been a lifelong yo- yo dieter, WW and it does work IF you stick to it which I never seemed to do after losing the weight. I need to lose over 100 lbs but will be happy to lose the 100 at this point. I've lost 16 lbs since my diagnosis counting calories etc.
    BMI says I should be 115-155 and I'd like to see 155 but am trying to not get disillusioned and am setting small goals, one day at a time, one pound at a time. I'm an emotional eater I've discovered so am making conscious decisions daily while working (work from home) to not get up when bored and rummage thru the fridge & pantry.

Not one for exercising (even when I was thinner), it's a struggle to get motivated to move (no desire, no energy). I've got a used treadmill I bought but am waiting till I get under the weight limit on it to use it. I did get a Kettlebell and later today will be off to get a jump rope and dvd workout, I just hope can find the get up & go to use them. I've also got some Leslie Sansone dvds that I haven't done anything with, one has a resistance band.

Never was one for cooking, as I hate leftovers (I live alone so hard to find things to make that I like and are single portion sizes). Portion control was an issue for me as well. I've been using a food scale, measuring/weighing out my portions and spending hours in the grocery reading labels (I always read calories on products but this carb thing is totally new to me). Picked up a copy of the Calorie King book and leave it in the car for when I'm shopping/eating out.

Slowly reading thru the postings in this group and hoping to find some tips, ideas, suggestions to lead me on track to manage (and possibly get rid of) my diabetes. I'm still sort of in shock over the diagnosis but wasn't totally surprised either. I knew I was bordering on it but it took the diagnosis to get me to wake up and start to change my lifestyle.

Thanks for listening
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Jill. I am 40 (for another week at least) and have 3 young children. I am a lawyer in a small town in Indiana. I was diagnosed w/T2 when I pregnant with my son 11 yr ago. I have tried various meds. Advantamet worked great for me but the doctors took me off of it b/c of all the lawsuits. I am on Actosmet now, prandial as needed, vytorin, hydrocholorothyozide for swelling issues, a kidney med, and byetta. My sugars are doing great- and my A1C went down an entire point in the past year. Yeah!!!!

I am over 100 pounds overweight though and am really trying to lose the weight so that I can get off of my meds. I have been on insulin before and don't want to go back there. I also want to be around for my hubby and my kids (10 and 6).

I joined MFP in April and have lost 20 lb but am at a standstill and have been losing/gaining the same 2-3 lb for the past several weeks and am completely frustrated.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill, the no man's land experience is someting many of us have to deal with. I don't profess to be an expert but the best explanation given to me is that our bodies seem to pause from time to time trying to decide if we are in a famine situation and therfore need to conserve fat stores. Stick to the programme and the gradual loss will resume. I assume that you are entering your new weight and adjusting the targets accordingly. Having experienced several episodes like you describe, I can assure you that, given patience and persistence, your weight loss will resume.
  • jahsshh
    jahsshh Posts: 18
    Options
    Aloha,

Name is Josh, im 40 and i live in Hemet, CA. Have a wife and 3 awesome kids. Ive been diagnosed type 2 back in 2009. I take Lantus, Metformin, some high blood pressure and cholesterol meds as well. When i was first diagnosed, i did the whole "OMG! time to exercise and start eating right!" and it lasted 2 months, lost 12 lbs and thought "awesome back to eating what i want" and been a downhill journey since then. Feeling sluggish, weak, tired, anxious all the time really hindered my life, didnt go out much, just wanted to stay home and veg on my chair day in and day out except those days where i felt like a million bucks then i would go out of the house and find stuff to do, but those days were rare. Finally Jan of this yr, i kept missing my kids sports games and what not because i just didnt have the energy to do anything and i was fed up so i finally decided to do things right. I Started paying attention to the foods i eat, cutting down on the amounts, cutting out sugars completely, trying to do everything within my own understanding (which isnt much when comes to my diabetes and weight loss) and ive come to a dead end with it, tryin to understand counting calories, how to balance the nutrients and whatnot that my body needs to feel energetic again cause i LONG for that feeling again to go out, get a job, spend time with my family OUTSIDE of the house that i missed the last 2 yrs. so here i am finally deciding to see what this site and you fine people have to offer in terms of support, help and all that good stuff. I weighed 256 in Jan, and today i weigh 230 so i do see the weight being loss, i feel alittle more energetic (most days) but i know i can feel soooo much better with more energy if i buckled down and really tried to learn how to do my diet properly and find out more things about my own diabetes that i been lacking. for instance, i noticed my glucose lvls on some days wont stop dropping and i have no idea why and it makes me anxious and worried. does anyone else have days like that? and how do you deal with that? i drink orange juice to get my lvls back up, then couple later its back down and im feeling woozy, i eat blah blah, lvls go back up to normal, then bam, back down again, all day long, now im worried bout sleeping tonight and waking up cause im bout to pass out from low sugar lvls..
  • Farrolei
    Farrolei Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Farrah and I'm 31 years old. I currently take both insulin and oral medications for my diabetes. I was diagnosed with diabetes a week before my 22nd birthday. Yeah, what a great birthday present, eh? Alas, I've struggled with denial off and on over the last nine years or so. All four of my grandparents were/are diabetic, as well as my mother, my older sister, two aunts, and two uncles. In fact, both of my paternal grandparents died from complications of diabetes. My grandfather was 42 and my grandmother was 53. As I'm getting older, I'm realizing that diabetes is definitely nothing to mess around with. Actually, I don't think it's the age that was frightened me into almost complete compliance with the doctors. I have a fatty liver (thank you, high triglycerides) and was told that if I couldn't get my triglycerides, cholesterol, and diabetes under control, the fatty liver could turn into cirrhosis of the liver which can then lead to even worse complications like liver failure. I can do without that.

Having been around diabetics pretty much all my life and having been to my fair share of dieticians and nutritionists, I'm well aware of what to eat and what not to eat. I even have a pretty good knowledge of simple forms of exercises. It's just having the motivation to actually do it. That's how I found myfitnesspal. It's been a rather useful tool. I've used it for a couple months (more or less consistently), but now I need some encouragement from other diabetics that are actually doing something about their disease (my family is rather useless for encouragement). I want to be healthy and live a nice, long life with my wonderful husband.