The GRIPE: "You should be happy with your weight" BS

Options

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    So, at what point does wanting to lose "just a few more pounds" become disordered?

Also, (as I've already questioned on another thread) if you have to severely restrict your calories, (OP, I've been lurking for a while, and I see you encouraging others to restrict to 1000 calories or less in order to reach their goals) how is that going to look once you reach your goal weight? Realistically, can you keep up eating like that for the rest of your life?

"A few more pounds" becomes a disorder when it would put you in the unhealthy range. Duh. :noway:

You must me mistaken ma'am, I have never encouraged people to restrict calories under 1,000. I have frequently combatted the whole "eat more to lose more regime" because I think it is a farce, but that is another topic than this board is intended. Please do not attack my credibility with nonsense. :grumble: And it always creeps me out when people say "I have been watching you" or something to that effect. Stalker much? :huh:

And obviously, once you reach your goal weight, you are supposed to no longer be eating at a defecit. So, you are not supposed to "keep up eating like that for the rest of your life" because you are intending to maintain, not lose (but yes you are still supposed to keep watching what you eat and not start pigging out and never exercising once you do reach your goal to make sure you don't undo all your hard work). But I feel like you know this already and are just playing devil's advocate.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    Completely agree. My relatives are always quick to point out when I've gained weight or look pudgy or "could stand to lose a few", but when I start making changes and counting calories, suddenly I'm "too skinny" and need to "stop dieting". Forum trolls I can take with a grain of salt, but family get under my skin all too often. :(

Same here. My sister actually told my parents that she thinks I'm anorexic. Hello???? I LOVE food and eat all the time. I eat well over 2,000 kcal every day and often over 3,000. I had 2 friends in high school who ended up in the hospital -- one from anorexia and the other from bulimia -- and I've never understood how someone could do that. It's totally against my views on health. I was so upset I couldn't even talk to her for a month. She hasn't even seen me in 6 months so why would she say that?? I later found out from one of her own kids that she wanted to weigh less than me for once in her life. She's older and has my mom's build -- bigger frame, bigger build (and bigger boobs, lucky woman!) -- and she got upset when, listen to this, I GOT VERY SICK from food poisoning and for an entire week could eat nothing but cucumbers and avocados and so I lost 10 pounds. She didn't have any concern that I had food poisoning -- she only cared that I had lost weight. Doubly insulting!

Family can be so frustrating b/c we count on them for support and when they don't provide it (or worse, they criticize us), it's really hurtful. Oh well, that's why we chose our own friends and our own support network!

This type of behavior is either ignorance or (in your sister's case), jealousy. Sisters are especially bad when it comes to being competitive with looks/weight/significant others. I feel for you lady. :cry: Family can be the best or the worst; their cuts are the deepest, whether it is about weight or anything else. It is too bad humanity can't lift each other up, instead of bringing each other down.

Stay strong. :flowerforyou:
  • BarefootGaia
    Options
    So, at what point does wanting to lose "just a few more pounds" become disordered?

Also, (as I've already questioned on another thread) if you have to severely restrict your calories, (OP, I've been lurking for a while, and I see you encouraging others to restrict to 1000 calories or less in order to reach their goals) how is that going to look once you reach your goal weight? Realistically, can you keep up eating like that for the rest of your life?

"A few more pounds" becomes a disorder when it would put you in the unhealthy range. Duh. :noway:

You must me mistaken ma'am, I have never encouraged people to restrict calories under 1,000. I have frequently combatted the whole "eat more to lose more regime" because I think it is a farce, but that is another topic than this board is intended. Please do not attack my credibility with nonsense. :grumble: And it always creeps me out when people say "I have been watching you" or something to that effect. Stalker much? :huh:

And obviously, once you reach your goal weight, you are supposed to no longer be eating at a defecit. So, you are not supposed to "keep up eating like that for the rest of your life" because you are intending to maintain, not lose (but yes you are still supposed to keep watching what you eat and not start pigging out and never exercising once you do reach your goal to make sure you don't undo all your hard work). But I feel like you know this already and are just playing devil's advocate.

So what is the unhealthy range? According to BMI, I only see "healthy" vs "underweight" - I do not see anything to suggest that being underweight means unhealthy.

It seems silly that you can rant and say that it's none of other peoples' business if you want to get to the cusp to underweight (or whatever your goals are, I'm generalizing here), and yet you (or so I am understanding from your reply) get to be the decision-maker that once a person is underweight they don't have the right to desire those extra 10lbs without being "disordered". Hmmmm...

So, say one wanted a goal weight of 100lbs, and had to eat at a deficit of say, only 700 calories per day to achieve that. What would happen once they reach that goal weight? Can they go back up to eating 1200+ calories per day and magically keep that weight off? <-- No, I'm not playing devil's advocate, I'm truly curious.. Because it seems to me that this same principle would apply no matter what the weight is. If you need to severely restrict in order to lose it, then how are you going to keep it off once you stop restricting?
  • jsapninz
    Options

So what is the unhealthy range? According to BMI, I only see "healthy" vs "underweight" - I do not see anything to suggest that being underweight means unhealthy.

It seems silly that you can rant and say that it's none of other peoples' business if you want to get to the cusp to underweight, and yet you (or so I am understanding from your reply) get to be the decision-maker that once a person is underweight they don't have the right to desire those extra 10lbs without being "disordered". Hmmmm...

So, say one wanted a goal weight of 100lbs, and had to eat at a deficit of say, 700 calories to achieve that. What would happen once they reach that goal weight? Can they go back up to eating 1200+ calories per day and magically keep that weight off? <-- No, I'm not playing devil's advocate, I'm truly curious.. Because it seems to me that this same principle would apply no matter what the weight is. If you need to restrict in order to lose it, then how are you going to keep it off once you stop restricting?

Uhm, I think from most people's BASIC understanding, UNDERweight= unhealthy just like OVERweight= unhealthy. On MFP the BMI calculator very clearly shows the space in between "Under" and "Over" as the "HEALTHY" range, thereby indicating from the process of deduction that anything NOT in the "HEALTHY" range is "UN-healthy." If you don't like BMI (which alot of people don't because it is a very blunt tool that doesn't work in all cases), then one should base their decision off a doctor's opinion when he or she says "you shouldn't lose any more weight because it would be unhealthy." THE DOCTOR and the entire field or medicine gets to be the decision maker about what unhealthy is, not me. I don't see why you are splitting hairs, this is not a complex issue. :huh:

If someone was eating at a 700 cal DEFECIT from their TDEE (or 1 lb loss every 5 days) and they got to their goal weight, then they would increase their cals by that 700 cal a day and they would be at their TDEE or maintenance cal intake.That's just how the math works, it is not "magic:" If you take in exactly (or close to) as many calories as your body burns in a day doing your normal activity (aka TDEE), you are going to stay at the same weight. If you take in less than that, you are going to lose, if you take in more, you are going to gain. When you get to your goal weight, you start eating back at your TDEE (BMR x activity level) WITHOUT your deficit, and if your TDEE is correct you will maintain that weight. You aren't going to be "restricting" your intake in the broad sense of the word because you are going to be eating everything you burn (instead of eating LESS than you burned, like before), but you aren't going to be IGNORING what you eat either, as I said previously. You always have to keep one eye on the scale if you don't want the weight to creep back on (the average American gains 1 lb a year), but you don't need to be eating at a defecit to LOSE weight anymore either. And you will maintain that weight you worked so hard to get to and be eating at a healthy level. :happy:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Important thing is that we listen to our own bodies and do what we feel is right. No one else has to live in our bodies so they don't have the right to judge.
  • nomes_89
    nomes_89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP 100%. Every time I mention I want to lose weight, the response is guaranteed to be 'oh you DO NOT need to lose weight' (yes they are that emphatic). I know I don't 'need' to - I don't think I'm anywhere near overweight. But if I want a better than average body and less belly flab then the hell I do.

In fact, part of the reason my diet would never stay clean is that I'd let people influence me and feel the need to eat more in front of others to 'prove' I didn't have a disorder (now that I think about it, it's pretty ridiculous). Even now people comment on what I eat and when I say I'm not eating refined sugars, starchy carbs or grains and not drinking alcohol at the moment, they tell me it's 'unhealthy'. However 'unhealthy' it may be, it's still not as unhealthy as drinking all that coke or eating those crisps and that white bread they eat. And dare I say it, I've got the body, strength and fitness to prove it.
  • ChefCupcake
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight, but I have lost some, and people keep saying things to me like:
    - You don't need to lose any more weight!
    - You need to eat more!
    - Your head is too big for your body!
    - Did you have weight loss surgery?
    - Are you taking diet pills?
    - What is your secret? Why won't you tell me the truth to how you lost the weight?

It really bothers me when people say things like that. It causes me to want to binge or something crazy!
  • Drizap
    Drizap Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I generally just avoid long explanations of my diet. If I don't want to eat cake, I just say, "no thanks, I'm stuffed." I think it is a red flag for people to hear about calorie counting and carbs, etc. when you clearly look like you're fit and lean. Why go into lengthy explanations. Plus it might make others feel bad if they are sightly or more than slightly overweight. I am also a pescatarian and similarly would not rant about how gross I think meat is at a BBQ. Why make people feel bad about it or bring up a big debate? It's all a personal choice. If someone really pushes the questions, I'll just say, I'm interested in eating healthy and balanced. It's all a personal choice and leave it at that.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I generally just avoid long explanations of my diet. If I don't want to eat cake, I just say, "no thanks, I'm stuffed." I think it is a red flag for people to hear about calorie counting and carbs, etc. when you clearly look like you're fit and lean. Why go into lengthy explanations. Plus it might make others feel bad if they are sightly or more than slightly overweight. I am also a pescatarian and similarly would not rant about how gross I think meat is at a BBQ. Why make people feel bad about it or bring up a big debate? It's all a personal choice. If someone really pushes the questions, I'll just say, I'm interested in eating healthy and balanced. It's all a personal choice and leave it at that.

I like your way of thinking. Thanks for posting this.
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Drizap. For example at work when they have crap food like donuts or pizza I just say oh I already ate breakfast or lunch. If I say I'm on a diet then I get a whole lot of crap about it. Or just say I'm already full when offered dessert.
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm neither not that heavy nor that skinny, and I have a good friend who seems to behave like I'm going to waste away if I get within a healthy weight range. I'm pretty sure she'll start trying to force feed me if I opt to try to get further into the healthy range instead of the absolute top of where I'd be to have a healthy BMI. (this is still a bizarre feeling as I'm normally 'the fat one')
  • jsapninz
    Options

I like your way of thinking. Thanks for posting this.

Agreed.
    My problem mostly comes from people who are trying to get help on the message boards and are shot down.

But you are right, I think from now on I will try to be more dismissive in my personal life than fight the fight, because it seems like it just ends with me being upset and them being convinced that I am sick in the head. :grumble:
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight is the new anorexia, people... *facepalm* I'm not accepting being a little dumpy because "compared to other people my age" I'm a runway model. I get the same BS- "Please, you're skinny already", "Why are you on a diet?" (I'm at the very upper range of "normal" BMI for my height, but for my bone structure it's too much!). Here's my thought on the increasing acceptability of being overweight - It's your life, do what you want to do! Shovel in that Big Mac! If you wish choose congestive heart failure and diabetes, be my guest.

On a side note, I applaud anyone who comes on this website and makes an effort to better themselves and their health. They shouldn't be called derogatory names...
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

So, so smart. Love this response. Also, when we say, "No thanks, I'm watching what I eat," are we subconsciously looking for praise? Are we inviting the comments that annoy us because they also make us feel a little good? I haven't really thought of this before, but I'm going to start doing it.
  • Lizzymaep
    Lizzymaep Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I agree! I have allowed people to talk me into stopping my weight loss or eating more and I believe them and that is how I got to where I am now. If I would have not listened to them and kept at my weight loss I would be at my goal by now. grrr! So anyone out there that feels like it's their job to tell people how to be healthy stop it!!!
  • nbpoli
    nbpoli Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I really agree with this thread. I am 5'2" and 110 pounds, which sounds ideal, but I am very pear shaped, which I get from my mum. Everything I eat sticks to my bum and legs, and my stomach remains flat. When I decline sweet things, or go to the gym, I am met with the attitude that I am silly for wanting to lose weight.

I have not, and have never had an eating disorder, but I know my own body, and I know when I am comfortable with my weight and when I am not. The truth of the matter is, I'm not really bothered what it says on the scales because my aim is not necessarily to lose weight. I want to tone up and look healthy and athletic, but just because I am not 'technically overweight', I am "stupid" for wanting to change myself.

People work on themselves all the time, whether it be a new haircut, a new qualification, a change in attitude or opinion, it's ALL THE SAME! I don't understand why there is this poor attitude to girls who just want to lose a few pounds and tone up when they are not fat! We can do, or change, whatever we want! Be concerned with your own issues, not other peoples!
  • stlinares
    stlinares Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with your post! I, too, notice it's usually a fat person who tells me: YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT? WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT? Or when I decline sweets: Oh, YOU can afford to eat that.
    I remember the first time I decided to say something back about that comment. It was a staff development and there was junk food provided as snacks. I didn't touch any of it. I wasn't even hungry so why would I? Anyway, a pretty fluffy colleague who was indulging in the junk food asked if I was not going to have any. I declined and she replied with the usual: YOU can afford it, though. You're so small. I put it as politely I could: the reason I am the size that I am is because I DON'T eat that stuff. I work very hard to stay slim.
    Thankfully, those closest to me (brother, dad, , two kids, and bf) agree that I look better at about 110ish (I'm 5'2") than I do when I am over 120 pounds. uuugghh, I've hit 126. I got to get this weight off. LOL! Anyway, excellent post.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Nothing bothers me more than when people say to me "Oh, you're sooo skinny" or "You don't need to watch what you eat or exercise. You're lucky you're naturally skinny".

I'm thinking to myself, 'How the heck do you think I got this way?' I work damn hard to keep maintain a healthy weight and look the way that I do. It's not easy, and it certainly doesn't come naturally. I come from a long line of curvy/overweight women.
  • stlinares
    stlinares Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Kerreck, me too. Most of the women on my mother's side of the family are very overweight. My own mother was always over 250 pounds at 5' ! I remember at one point when I was in elem school she hit 302 pounds. I know because she wrote it on the back of a photo of herself at that weight. I think all but ONE first cousin on my mother's size keeps her weight in a "normal" range. The rest are simple fat. And like most humans...heck, like most animals, if I take in a huge amount of calories while being sedentary i WILL get fat. The thing is I tend to nip it in the bud before I'm out of that "healthy" range. Like the OP, I want to be at the lower end of that healthy BMI range.