Stage 3

Options

Replies

• _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I started stage 3 today and did the A workout. I'm on the road traveling on business this week, so I really liked the fact that I was able to do the workout in the little hotel gym with very little moderation (e.g., I used dumbells for the row instead of a bar).

I read through the thread and saw a few posts re: the one arm snatch. I would encourage folks to look at videos on youtube as some have referenced. Here are a couple of pointers, as well, that may help. If you look closely, the folks on the videos are doing this, but may not be calling attention to these movements:

* Start the movement with a slight shoulder shrug when you are up out of your squat and while your arm with the dumbell is still straight.

* Next, lead the movement with your elbow of the same arm. Think about bringing the elbow to a right angle, towards the ceiling. In reality, you will only reach about 45 - 60 degrees.

* After your shrug and elbow movement to about 45 degrees (whatever feels most comfortable), explode the dumbell up toward the ceiling with a slight jump and using the force/momentum of your whole body. (sometimes this is actually easier to do with a heavier weight)

Remember, these are all fluid movements and they will come together with practice. :smile:

I actually don't go all the way back to the ground between reps - I typically only bring the dumbell to mid-shin level or so. I guess it is more of a squat movement if you do bring it down to the ground, so I will try that next time!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Count me in as another lover of the one armed dumbell snatch! My 2nd workout 3A last night, I upped the weight from 7kg to 9kg!

I also increased most of the other weights too, I find the barbell row too similar to the romanian deadlift with row, but i means i can increase the weights more, as we do it in each workout.

Discovered why my hamstrings get hammered so hard in this workout, the single leg deadlift and the bent over row are together in a superset- but both hit the hammies. Anyone else have trouble with pain in the days after? I might try combining the sets differently.

The 90 sec planks aren't getting any easier... shaking like a leaf!!

Anyone else find 3B comparatively easy? I even managed the HIIT in the same workout! 3A of course is a killer :wink:
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Did my first workout A today! I love it!
    for the 1 arm DB snatch I used 8kg, was totally fun :tongue: once I got the hang of it.
    The 90sec planks are body burners!
    And that matrix is a total leg burner! 1st round 4:12 2nd 3:02
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start stage 3 this weekend. Can anyone tell me which are the most challenging bits so I can start the mental limbering up?!
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Hey Maggie! Glad you're catching up with me.

I can only mention the bits in my last post, about the hamstrings. It just seems odd to superset 2 exercises that work the same muscles. They are then thoroughly finished off in the body matrix! Next time I will rearrange the exercises.

But workout B is easy. Odd though that there is a back extension exercise, as well as the prone cobra, which is the home substitute for the back extension. I haven't found anything at home I can use instead of the back extension machine, except maybe a swiss ball if you can wedge your feet under something. I just do the cobras.

Check out some you tube vids for the one arm snatch, and also the back extension so you can see what the movement's supposed to look like.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Hey Maggie! Glad you're catching up with me.

I can only mention the bits in my last post, about the hamstrings. It just seems odd to superset 2 exercises that work the same muscles. They are then thoroughly finished off in the body matrix! Next time I will rearrange the exercises.

But workout B is easy. Odd though that there is a back extension exercise, as well as the prone cobra, which is the home substitute for the back extension. I haven't found anything at home I can use instead of the back extension machine, except maybe a swiss ball if you can wedge your feet under something. I just do the cobras.

Check out some you tube vids for the one arm snatch, and also the back extension so you can see what the movement's supposed to look like.

Thanks Jen. Those cobras were really difficult for me in stage 2, so I think it would do me good to keep on with them. I will have a look at the vids too.
  • lizlee8
    Options
    So did my first workout B today, gotta say definitley easier than A. Still feeling the hammies though :tongue:
    2day weekend rest with maybe some walking to try an loosen the legs.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Started Stage 3 yesterday...LOVE it!!

I tweaked a hammy a bit doing the one legged deadlifts - I think I go too deep? I used 22.5# dumbbells, so when I get parallel, my weights were almost toughing the floor! I hurt the hamstring last year, so I may need to go down in weights so I don't fully pull it again.

BWM = WTF :laugh:

I LOVE feeling that pain and like I can't walk, but I had to catch my breath a few times... I know my form wasn't perfect, but it will all even out.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I had to increase my weights as I went, so hopefully I can work to full exhaustion next time!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Well, phew! Just done my first Workout A. I started quite light to find my level, so I'm thinking next time will feel a bit more challenging. To my surprise, I found the dumbbell single-arm overhead squat quite tricky - it looks so easy in the book and on youtube videos! I was sailing through the BWM until I got to the 24 squat jumps, then I thought "I see what everybody means!" I pushed on through, and managed to do both rounds - 3 mins 30 secs first time, 3 mins 8 secs second time. My poor old heart was really pounding!
  • lizlee8
    Options
    amsparky - awesome keep pushing
    missmaggie - feel the burn yeah?! :tongue: feels good though just did my 2nd workout A had better form on the one leg deadlift, managed to keep hips and shoulder square. Also felt amazing bench pressing 12.5kg DB - I'm using the big boy weights :glasses: my PB on the BWM is 2:45
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    12.5kg dumbells!!!!!!!!! I just managed 8kg per side yesterday for the bench presses! I know, everyone's different......

My PB on the BWM is 2 mins18 secs , but my jumping form sucks!

3B tomorrow, for the 3rd time. Might try the back extension with the swiss ball, instead of only doing the prone cobras.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I start stage 3 today. Im excited and nervous, nervous most about the BWM! How long did it take you all from start to finish to do workout A and B (assuming you did it all in one session)? Im going to try to squeeze these in on my lunch break or after work while my son is in the gyms daycare. Man time is sooo precious but so are my workouts!!!
  • lizlee8
    Options
    jenlwwb - yup! I feel like superwoman lol 2:18 is a great time! keep beating that PB Hope I can get close to 2min. Oh back extension on swiss ball? might try that! You got any youtube videos?

Steph - Workout A is definitley longer about 70-80min for me but I don't always take the full rest, except between the BWM. Workout B is slightly shorter but not much. Maybe you could do the BWM and intervals the day after lifting?

Some Wii Zumba tonight :) just a bit of fun and 2nd workout B tomorrow!
    Keep pushing ladies :)
    x
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Steph - Workout A is definitley longer about 70-80min for me but I don't always take the full rest, except between the BWM. Workout B is slightly shorter but not much. Maybe you could do the BWM and intervals the day after lifting?

Thats whay Im gonna have to do. Ill do the BWM when I get home that night after my son goes to bed and do intervals on the days I dont lift and hopefully that gives me enough time. Im just wondering if Ill get the same benefit by splitting up the workouts? Like last night it took 58 minutes to do workout A from start to finish and the BWM was killer b/c I did it right after the lifting session so I was totally drained. If I wait to do the BWM until I get home later that night, my body will have had time to rest and Im not sure if the purpose is to tire your body.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

Thats whay Im gonna have to do. Ill do the BWM when I get home that night after my son goes to bed and do intervals on the days I dont lift and hopefully that gives me enough time. Im just wondering if Ill get the same benefit by splitting up the workouts? Like last night it took 58 minutes to do workout A from start to finish and the BWM was killer b/c I did it right after the lifting session so I was totally drained. If I wait to do the BWM until I get home later that night, my body will have had time to rest and Im not sure if the purpose is to tire your body.

Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I thought the intention of the authors was to always split the A & B workouts?
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Anyone have any good ideas for an at-home alternative to the wide-grip lat pulldown?
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hiya Ladies!

I finally got to do my 3A1!!! (I've had to sit out for a MONTH due to injuries) ARGH!!! :sad:

But I finally got to do the dreaded BWM! HOLY CRAP! I could barely walk afterwards... I'm nervous about how tomorrow is going to feel!!! LOL.

Miss Maggie - I think he suggests a "pullover" to replace the lat pulldown if you dont have access to a machine... using a bar and a bench. I'm not sure what page it is on as I have the book on my iPad.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    emc, not seen any vids of the back extension on the ball, but i've seen ones of the exercise on the proper equipment, just try to hinge at the hip, not the waist. I hook my feet under the bed!

Maggie, I bought a cheap-ish pull up bar (about 15 quid) and set it up in the kitchen doorway (it comes off when you're not using it!), and i do assisted pull ups with my feet on the floor. But if you'd rather not get even more gear, is there anything you can pull yourself up under, like a table or stair bannisters? Or, as the above poster says, the books gives the pullover as the home substitute, but i feel the motion is different. I did that in stage 1.

I just did 3B the 3rd, kind of rushed it cos it's so damn long... managed to get the main part done in 48 mins plus the HIIT. Although i didn't wait the full rest periods!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Miss Maggie - I think he suggests a "pullover" to replace the lat pulldown if you dont have access to a machine... using a bar and a bench. I'm not sure what page it is on as I have the book on my iPad.
    Maggie, I bought a cheap-ish pull up bar (about 15 quid) and set it up in the kitchen doorway (it comes off when you're not using it!), and i do assisted pull ups with my feet on the floor. But if you'd rather not get even more gear, is there anything you can pull yourself up under, like a table or stair bannisters? Or, as the above poster says, the books gives the pullover as the home substitute, but i feel the motion is different. I did that in stage 1.

Thanks both. I think I'll be able to use my squat stands to attempt pull-ups - off to give it a go now!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Hmm. Not too impressed by Workout B. Didn't feel I'd worked very hard really - I like to lift things up and put them down a bit more I think. But oh dear, I couldn't manage one pull-up; not one! (as an alternative to the wide-grip lat pulldown). Yes, I did the pullover in stage 1 too, so had a quick look online and saw other people recommending rows so did them instead. But I feel ashamed of my dreadful pull-up attempt; this is going to become a serious ambition now. Looking forward to Workout A again in a couple of days.