Gryffindor Common Room

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    So, how do you all feel about me arbitrarily resorting people equally into the Houses? It wouldn't be as much about whether our personalities match our Houses, but about a fair competition. This is how it first started way back when, but there were a lot of bummed out people.

I'm not sure what the best solution is yet. If we disband Slytherin, then those people don't get to keep their identity but everyone else does. The flip side is, every other House works to keep itself alive so it's no one's fault but the people who don't stick around.

If we separate people into Houses they don't care about, the involvement would also suffer. It all around sucks, really.

Give me your opinions, guys!
  • BrnIdGirl
    BrnIdGirl Posts: 129 Member
    So, how do you all feel about me arbitrarily resorting people equally into the Houses? It wouldn't be as much about whether our personalities match our Houses, but about a fair competition. This is how it first started way back when, but there were a lot of bummed out people.

I'm not sure what the best solution is yet. If we disband Slytherin, then those people don't get to keep their identity but everyone else does. The flip side is, every other House works to keep itself alive so it's no one's fault but the people who don't stick around.

If we separate people into Houses they don't care about, the involvement would also suffer. It all around sucks, really.

I agree with your assessment. either way someone won't be happy. But I also agree that putting people where they don't wanna be won't help, right now you have three houses that are really working hard to keep involvment up and one that is not. I hate to lose a house but it takes a village to make anything work.

I looked through all the houses spredsheets and if you look at the numbers of people listed as opposed to the number of people participating you get the following:

House - listed - participating
    Gryffindor - 24 - 19
    Slytherin - 16 - 4
    Ravenclaw - 23 - 20
    Hufflepuff - 17 - 7

Hufflepuff only has three more people participating and yet they are in first place for the house cup right now.

I'm not sure how to handle this problem, but i'm thinking that if they aren't particpating in a house they choose they really won't participate in a house they didn't choose.

Just my two cents, actually make it a nickle inflation you know...lol
  • nerdyandilikeit
    I've been watching the spreadsheets, too. Hufflepuff's in the lead because the few members they have participating are big earners, so the math works in their favor.

I suggested to the Hufflepuff and Slytherin HoHs to start sending reminder messages and see how much involvement comes back. It depends on how that works out for what I decide to do with this situation.
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Slytherin is my second favorite house I would switch if needed no problem u would have to find a new assistant not that you have needed me much :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Sorry this is so late, but the Chamber of Secrets Workout Game links are on the blog!

The May blog will be posted sometime today (with a link reposted here).

Here is the (very late) April Week 4 challenges:

WEEK 4:
    (Starting after check-in between 4/20-4/23
    and ending with check-in between 4/27-4/30)

OWL (exercise): Harry Potter Workout Game! (LINKS TO COME)

There will be a novice version and an expert version. You can pick what fits you best at the time. They will have the same things to look for, but one will have more difficult exercises to do.

You can split it up and watch a little at a time during the week, watch it all at once and make tally marks (then split those exercises up during the week), or watch it AND do the exercises all at once. Whatever works for you. You could also read the book and look for the same things if that's more convenient for you.

Beginner: http://oi50.tinypic.com/sm65ns.jpg
    sm65ns.jpg

Advanced: http://oi49.tinypic.com/5wdmps.jpg
    5wdmps.jpg

[If you need them, here are the links to the advanced exercises:]

Burpees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQx1FiQt50

Windsheild Wipers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttv2c1Bh0Vw

Squat Kicks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSu-wci9uTo

Globe Jumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKKKNR5USXc

You earn 5 OWLs for the week if you complete the whole movie and all the exercises, 3 OWLs if you complete the whole movie but can't complete all the exercises, 1 OWL if you don't complete the movie or the exercises, and 0 OWLs if you don't start either.

NEWT (food): Junk food 'Detox'! Try to go as many days as possible without ANYTHING you consider to be 'junk food'. I think this is just a good exercise once in a while to remind us whether or not we have too much junk sneaking in to our food diaries or not. :)

5 NEWTs for every day you don't have ANY junk food. 35 NEWTs possible for the week.

SPEW: Earn 1 point every time you post something encouraging or motivating or how your day is going in the Common Room (ANYTHING BUT A CHECK-IN POST COUNTS TOWARD YOUR SPEWs).
    Up to 5 points possible per day, 35 points possible for the week.

***Remember to double check the dates for this challenge! Don't start early and lessen your progress for the current week!

And the blog link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/april-gryffindor-owls-newts-235384
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Also very late, but here's Week 3's Prefects!

BrnldGirl and Kelsue35!

Great work, ladies! As usual :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    I also want to make a personal announcement of sorts. I'm cutting down my friends list to make it more manageable for me. I've decided to delete some of you that I haven't connected with as much in lieu of making coming to the Common Room to talk with you a bigger priority.

I've also decided to give you all a check-in reminder via message each week with link reminders instead of bombing you on my statuses, because lots of people don't get to see them that way anyhow.

Please don't be offended or think it's because I don't like you here in Gryffindor! If we connect here, I'd be more than happy to add you for realsies :) Or vice versa!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Hey Gryffs! Just checking in. Finished c25k yesterday, yeah! Hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • BrnIdGirl
    Hey there LIONS beautiful day. I'm off to watch the chamber of secrets and get my exercise on. Be back later.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Hey Gryffs! Just checking in. Finished c25k yesterday, yeah! Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    Congratulations on finishing C25K, that's awesome. :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Hey there LIONS beautiful day. I'm off to watch the chamber of secrets and get my exercise on. Be back later.

Let me know how you like the game! :)
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member

I think for the houses that lack participation, their students should be sorted into other houses that are more active. It wouldn't be fair to those who have been participating, are active, or enjoy their houses to be moved around just because other houses have poor participation and communication. Even if we just shuffled everyone around wouldn't there still be a problem of people not handling their own work? and like you said, a lot of people would be unhappy :/

Has there been a sign that students in Slytherin have had some major life issues come up that might keep them from participating in the group, or do we know some just don't care, or have the time? What has Slytherin said about all of this?
  • BrnIdGirl

Let me know how you like the game! :)

It was fun but my entire body hates you right now...I'm just sayin
  • nerdyandilikeit
    I'm cutting it a little close, but here is the May blog! (The Prizoner Azkaban game will be up later, I promise!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/may-gryffindor-owls-newts-251002

This week's challenges are:

WEEK 1:
    (Starting after check-in between 4/27-4/30
    and ending with check-in between 5/4-5/7)

OWL (exercise): Tricep Extensions (w/Dumbbell): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRiJVZDpdL0

If you don't have dumbbells, or doing this with weights is too hard, start without. You could also find something around the house like a waterbottle as a substitute.

Each day you reach your daily goal you earn 5 OWLs, you earn 3 OWLs for reaching half way to your goal, and 1 OWL for trying but not reaching half way.

NEWT (food): Measurements! I know this is not food-related, but bear with me. I would like to start having the first week's NEWTs be to take measurements for a while. So often we focus on the scale and forget to look at the other changes our bodies make.

Take as many measurements as you want. MFP has some basic ones when you go to 'check-in' but you can add as many as you want. I suggest picking the areas that want to see progress in most right now and measure those. You'll be able to see your progress in a month when we take them again!

You earn 5 NEWTs if you record your measurements, and 5 NEWTs if you post them in the Common Room to hold yourself accountable. 10 NEWTs possible for this week.

SPEW: Earn 1 point every time you post something encouraging or motivating or how your day is going in the Common Room (ANYTHING BUT A CHECK-IN POST COUNTS TOWARD YOUR SPEWs).
    Up to 5 points possible per day, 35 points possible for the week.

***Remember to double check the dates for this challenge! Don't start early and lessen your progress for the current week!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Also, I need more NEWT ideas! I'm at a loss, so we just keep rotating the same 15 ones.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Morning fellow Gryffindors! Had a great week junk food and exercise wise, but still put weight on.

This may be something to do with excitement at getting my new ice cream maker... But after doing (and eating too much of) a few batches of "real" ice cream, I've progressed to making sorbets from just fruit juice and nothing else. Delicious and very healthy. :smile:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Morning fellow Gryffindors! Had a great week junk food and exercise wise, but still put weight on.

This may be something to do with excitement at getting my new ice cream maker... But after doing (and eating too much of) a few batches of "real" ice cream, I've progressed to making sorbets from just fruit juice and nothing else. Delicious and very healthy. :smile:

Mmm, that's the only real reason I want an ice cream maker. I like sorbet better than ice cream most of the time.
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Good morning my fellow Gryffindors!!!!!

Can I say I'm loving life right now why cause I'm on a roll the last four weeks is the best I've done with exercising and eating the right foods and it's awesome and i'm starting to think I can do this I can really do it and I'm going to look freaking awesome when I'm done!!!!
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Good morning my fellow Gryffindors!!!!!

Can I say I'm loving life right now why cause I'm on a roll the last four weeks is the best I've done with exercising and eating the right foods and it's awesome and i'm starting to think I can do this I can really do it and I'm going to look freaking awesome when I'm done!!!!

Awesome! I'm feeling the same way today! :-) And I've only been at it for one real week, I can only imagine how awesome I'll feel after four:
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Ok, I entered my totals for last week in the spreadsheet. I always freak out that I'm going to mess stuff like that up, but I work with spreadsheets (as does hubby) a lot, so I'm pretty confident I didn't screw it up. lol

I've got some school to accomplish, and then I'll (hopefully) be heading for the gym.

How many brave souls are going to post their measurements? I took mine this morning, and posted them on my Biggest Loser group, but I don't want to be the only one posting them here. :embarassed: