May Progress

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
Yep - its May! Keep it up ladies.

I'm starting may at:

Deloading from the 145 squat (Failed for the third time tonight AND my form tonight was really suffering) - debating deloading more than the requisite 15 lbs, or else using the fractional plates for a while. Thoughts?

Overhead press - 60lbs (I've done it before so help me - I failed at 65 last time - so I don't know why I'm failing on it now)

Bench press - 75 lbs

Barbell row - uhhh... 70? But I just...I just still find these so ODD and my husband feels really confident that I'm finally doing them "right" but I'm not sure if I "feel" it or not. Just have to keep plugging away I guess. I'm debating doing inverted rows for a bit except I tried one tonight and it did NOT seem easier. So rawr.

Deadlift I finally did my 1x5 at 155 today and form felt pretty good so I am moving on to attempt 165. I do not expect it to go well but I would really like to do it at least once as that's my body weight.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I still qualify, right? Even though I can't do squats? I've been practicing goblet squats. I can get much better form with these. Of course, I'm still not doing any kind of squat with any kind of weight b/c my form sucks *kitten*. I have a love/hate relationship with squats...I love to hate them. I don't know how perfect my form has to be before I can finally add some weight.

Bench and Rows are moving up to 70 lbs. I did both of these at 65 last time. That was due to an error on my part. The previous workout, I was supposed to bench 65 and row 60...I did the opposite. d'oh! I failed rows at 65 that time, obviously. The rows feel awkward to me, but I feel sore in between my shoulders for days after. So I kind of like that.

Overhead Press...tonight is attempt #3 at 55 lbs. I may have to deload. I forget...is it deload 10%? I've never truly deloaded before. I mean, my squats are completely unloaded, really. But I haven't had to deload another exercise yet.

Deadlifts...95 last time. Moving up to 105 tonight.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yay May! I think this is the first exercise program in a while I've stuck with for at least a month. I'm loving it, and I'm excited to see where I am at the end and what other kinds of lifting exercised I can try. :)

tameko - If it were me I would start using the fractional plates and see how far you can get there. If you're still failing then maybe deload more?

Q - You definitely can still be here! You're doing awesome with all of those other lifts! I will say though that there is really no perfect form really. As long as the basics of the exercise are down, add weight and see how it feels. Also record it and see if your form is still there with the weight. I think there is often some variation people because of height, weight, length of your legs and torso, and overall flexibility. At least, that is what I'm learning with deadlifts.

I am starting May at:

Squats: 90 lbs last time, so hopefully 95 lbs this time. Eeek... almost 100 lbs! Insane. These are getting super tough.
    OHP: I am going to try 50 lbs again and see how far I get. Where I go from there depends on how terrible I fail this time.
    Bench: 65 lbs last time, so up to 70 lbs today.
    Row: Eff these! Haha I'm still going to try 55 lbs and fix my form. Hopefully.
    Deadlift: I think I may repeat my 130 lbs this week with better form before I increase again.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm must going to jump right in on the May thread.

Squat- 150 I haven't stalled on squats yet. I feel it coming though.

Press-60 was horrible 1,3,2,2,2 I was talking to other people yesterday and not concentrating like I should have been. It took 3 times to get through 55lbs.

Dead-130

Bench 70 trying 3rd time tomorrow

Row 75 trying 3rd time tomorrow

Who is on a calorie deficit? I'm currently doing SL on maintenance. I would like to lowering my BF a bit more and I don't know how I'll progress strength wise if I cut calories.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I still qualify, right? Even though I can't do squats? I've been practicing goblet squats. I can get much better form with these. Of course, I'm still not doing any kind of squat with any kind of weight b/c my form sucks *kitten*. I have a love/hate relationship with squats...I love to hate them. I don't know how perfect my form has to be before I can finally add some weight.

Bench and Rows are moving up to 70 lbs. I did both of these at 65 last time. That was due to an error on my part. The previous workout, I was supposed to bench 65 and row 60...I did the opposite. d'oh! I failed rows at 65 that time, obviously. The rows feel awkward to me, but I feel sore in between my shoulders for days after. So I kind of like that.

Overhead Press...tonight is attempt #3 at 55 lbs. I may have to deload. I forget...is it deload 10%? I've never truly deloaded before. I mean, my squats are completely unloaded, really. But I haven't had to deload another exercise yet.

Deadlifts...95 last time. Moving up to 105 tonight.

Psh, of course you qualify! Hope those squats move into a more love-love relationship for ya. :)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Argh... my "May progress" is going to suuuuck. I'm headed to Iceland for 2 weeks tomorrow (yay!). Staying in hostels and farm guesthouses - not exactly the sort of places that would have gyms. I expect to lose some strength, but hopefully not *too* much, while I'm gone. We'll see when I get back, I guess! Anyone taken two weeks off before? I know one week doesn't really hurt. I'm not too worried, anyways - I started from nothing and came a long way, so I'll be able to do it again if I need to.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Who is on a calorie deficit? I'm currently doing SL on maintenance. I would like to lowering my BF a bit more and I don't know how I'll progress strength wise if I cut calories.
    I'm on a deficit. I'm trying for 500 cals daily, but I think MFP numbers are too low. So I'm technically 450 cals deficit compared to MFP numbers. I was increasing cals by 50 each week, slowly building up, embracing the eat more mentality. But I think I'll leave it unchanged this week. My weight is still bouncing around between 5 and 10 lbs higher than before I started lifting. I haven't lost anything yet. Nor have I really lost inches yet.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I hope so because I can't do squats either :D

Tam recommended an article that had back squat substitution exercises in it and that's been a huge help. So instead of back squats I'll do some goblets (front squat seems to have issues as I can't get my arms right and not have them pull away from me at the bottom) where I'm up to 15lbs. After the goblets I do some hip raises (love these!) and then I do an extra Deadlift. I love love love the deadlift. Been just a few sessions of it and wow- it works!

So I'm progressing- but slower than most. Have longer rest periods but whadevah- I'm doing it!

I started with empty hands so I'm happy with my progress.

Squat- goblet- 15lbs
    Hip raises- 25lbs
    Chest- 40
    Row-40
    overhead press- 20
    Deadlift- 15

I love that deadlift nunber.. going from atrophy to 15lbs in under a month? Blows my mind! :D

I finally took the leg extension/curl thingie off my weightbench too. No more PT for me! I'm really really happy to be able to do (most) of the exercises like everyone else now.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This week is going to be shot. We have our County Fair shows at the end of the week. I was supposed to do my sl workout yesterday but that's when my kids' mentor showed up. So, I'm not sure how I'm going to get it all in this week. I needed a small break last week so I threw sl into a circuit training-like system and added farmers walk, inverted rows, modified push ups, planks, and single leg romanian deadlifts. It made for a nice twist but I'm going back to sl and upping my cardio or adding circuit training on off days this month.

I eat at a deficit (20% below tdee) I haven't noticed a problem (yet). Most of my problems have been with form, due to being new to lifting and not having anyone to help me or upper body weakness ~~> OHP
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'll be continuing the program as well. I'm starting May with:
    Squats 85
    BP 65
    OHP 60
    Row 70
    DL 120

I think today is going to be hard, may struggle a little since yesterday was a tough shoulder workout. I'm going to need a squat stand soon as I'm getting close to my clean max (110-115).

I've been feeling my squats mostly through my core recently. I'm wondering if it's because I'm still weak from my surgery. I mean, I feel some soreness through my butt & hammies, but most of my aches are in my obliques and back?
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm starting May off with....

squats - 85
    bench press - 75
    barbell rows - 95
    dead lift - 135
    overhead press - 65

And a bodyfat % that is 6% less than it was when I started almost a month ago!! :drinker:
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I just started, did my third exercise today.

Squats - 50
    Bench - 15lb dumbbells
    Barbell Rows - 45
    Deadlift - 60
    OP - 25

I have absolutely no upper body strength. After this AM workout, I could barely properly do my hair. It felt good to move up 5 pounds though. Quite the confidence booster.
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hard to believe it's May already!

Got my power rack all set up on Saturday and boy, does that Olympic bar feel alot heavy than the lighter bar I was using with extra weights. But here's what I'm doing:

Squats: 70
    Bench Press: 65
    Row: 70
    OP: 60
    Deadlift: 120

The overhead press is the absolute hardest for me. I think I may have to deload a bit since I really struggled last time and lost form completely by the end. Making progress though, as are all of you.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'm due for workout A today. Before doing so, my current levels are:

Squat: 105
    Bench: 65
    Row: 75
    Overhead: 55
    Dead: 135
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    yay, i was waiting for may to get in on this since the april thread was already so long (yeah, i was too shy)

i started april 1 and took the week off last week, but here's where i'm at :

squat : 110
    bench : 75
    row : 70
    OHP : 60
    DL : 125

i can tell i will hit my max on that OHP soon, maybe i'll pull the 65 but i think i'll be repeating that one.
    everything else is good so far. hard, but good. i look forward to the month, i think i will see some more gains and then hopefully some new challenges to overcome. is it odd that i'm kinda looking forward to 'failing' so that i can then work past it?

Q : of course you qualify ♥

and for all the other ladies : you kick *kitten* and i'm proud to be in your company.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Q--It took me a long time to internalize the whole "perfect being enemy of the good" thing that even Rippetoe says. I wanted to have picture perfect awe inspiring form before even putting 5 extra lbs on and I wish I had been kinder to myself? I don't know but finally I just decided that my best was good enough and focused on refining my form as best as I could while I was adding weight. All bets are off it things hurt or feel bad but I was really obsessive about being perfect and I wish I hadn't been.

Squats: 110
    Bench: 70
    Row: 75 (I've been here awhile but I feel like my last rep is always sketchy so I am sticking with this until I rock them all)
    OHP: 55 (staying here a bit longer too)
    DL: 155

I am really amped to up my weights since registering for the powerlifting meet in July. Everyone I talk to say that it's a really good beginner's meet. My goal is to not embarrass myself and do squat 150, deadlift 200 and to bench 100. My bench is the only thing I am nervous about not nailing by then.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I'm on a 200-400 calorie deficit. I am seeing if I can lose 5ish lbs without sacrificing strength. If yes, then I can lift in the 123.5 weight class...If not, then I'm actually fine being in the 132 class. I'm hovering around 129 right now. I'll see how things go by early to mid-June and bump up to maintenance (or above) before my late-July meet.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a small deficit. I've been trying for a deficit for 2 months but it's been more like maintenance.

And yes, Q, you should be here. Do you have someone to film you? Maybe try it with the bar (sometimes this helps with form) and having some one film. Then we can see if we can offer you pointers on fixing it.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm also eating at a deficit, about 20% below maintenance or so. I have felt fine with strength and increasing weight on my lifts.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!!!!!

I just started SL yesterday and looking forward to workout number 2 tomorrow!!!

What do you guys do on days in between SL???

I also posted a question on the a different thread here, regarding the calorie deficit vs. maintenance. I just cut my calories this week by 100 after eating close to maint. for 6 weeks. Hoping to lose fat and gain muscle!

Dawn
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I didn't participate in this thread last month because I started about half-way through.

Notes: I started deadlifts with just the bar because I wanted to perfect form. Ditto only going up 5lbs instead of the recommended 10. I'm more nervous about hurting my back on this than I am the squat, because I did it wrong a few years ago and wrenched my back.
    Stalled on bench first day. *sigh*
    Started overhead and row with a 30lb bar

Squat: 80 lbs (stalled last time; today did 5/5/5/5/4.5 (went down, broke form getting back up)
    Overhead: 45
    Dead: 70
    Bench: 50
    Row 45

I'm in calorie deficit, working with doctor and nutritionist. I am currently 187 lbs. Doc would like me to get to 120 or so, but if I'm muscular, I'll be happy at 145.