If I'm still at a deficit why am I looking bigger?

Options

Replies

• rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You may want to get a HRM that estimates calories burned to get a general idea of how much you are doing during the day (if you dont have one already) since your job involves a lot of fitness. Then use those numbers as an estimate to how much you should be eating.. people that work out all day sometimes are eating 5k calories or more.. Also just from a quick look at your diary I would try to cut back on sodium based items that would hold water (and make you look bigger), just a suggestion.
    ^this is a bad idea. HRM calorie counters are great for cycling, running etc. The equations they use are based on cardio activities. It doesn't know when you've switched from that to lifting or lying down or if you're just lying out in the really hot sun. They're not accurate for these activities.

i think my HRM does a pretty good job of calorie counting during lifting. greysmom has a BMF though, so she's already got a mechanism for getting an accurate TDEE.
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    You may want to get a HRM that estimates calories burned to get a general idea of how much you are doing during the day (if you dont have one already) since your job involves a lot of fitness. Then use those numbers as an estimate to how much you should be eating.. people that work out all day sometimes are eating 5k calories or more.. Also just from a quick look at your diary I would try to cut back on sodium based items that would hold water (and make you look bigger), just a suggestion.
    ^this is a bad idea. HRM calorie counters are great for cycling, running etc. The equations they use are based on cardio activities. It doesn't know when you've switched from that to lifting or lying down or if you're just lying out in the really hot sun. They're not accurate for these activities.

REALLY? I weight lift and use hrm anyway.. it measure how many calories I burnt, I use them in order to make sure that they are within my TDEE # if more than that, then I would need to eat more... hmm...
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    greysmom-

i do think lucia is right about needing to eat more.

but just regarding the bloat and water gain....i didn't feel overly bloated when i first started, but i took a "before" pic just a couple of days after starting to eat more. about 10 days later i took another pic, and the difference was shocking. it was seriously like i was wearing a full body fat suit and i just took it off. the difference all over my body was crazy, and it was mostly due to water gain.

i'm betting if you get to your sweet spot deficit wise, your body will be willing to let all of that go, just like terri said.
    had you started a different lifting routine as well? My routine has not changed...no lifting yet. Just more food. LOL
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    greysmom-

but just regarding the bloat and water gain....i didn't feel overly bloated when i first started, but i took a "before" pic just a couple of days after starting to eat more. about 10 days later i took another pic, and the difference was shocking. it was seriously like i was wearing a full body fat suit and i just took it off. the difference all over my body was crazy, and it was mostly due to water gain.

i'm betting if you get to your sweet spot deficit wise, your body will be willing to let all of that go, just like terri said.
    had you started a different lifting routine as well? My routine has not changed...no lifting yet. Just more food. LOL

nope, the only thing i was lifting was food to my face.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    greysmom-

nope, the only thing i was lifting was food to my face.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I haven't lost any inches. Have not gone on scale or tried on jeans in over two weeks. It will depress me..so I'm rocking my Athleta dresses and workout clothes until I start seeing a change!
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Terri, how long have you been EM2WL, what is your cut and how much are you working out...what do you do weekly???

I've been on since 5/7, so 3 weeks exactly. BMR figures out to 1455, TDEE 2256, Cut using moderate exercise is 1917. I try to ride my bike 6 days a week,(hour long rides that usually burn around 300 to 400 calories on my HRM) if it's raining I'll pull out an Insanity DVD. One day a week is a long ride of 2 hours(burns 800 to 1000 calories) or more. Honestly, I eat a lot of junk, need to eat cleaner, lower my sodium, and focus more on lean proteins. But I get off track way to easy. I've been trying to simply net above my BMR each day. Which does seem to work out to between 1900 and 2000 calories a day. I'm loving the fact that I'm not hungry all the time and actually seem to have more energy, that's saying a lot since I work 3 night shifts and two evening shifts each week.
  • candacerm
    candacerm Posts: 8
    Options
    Holy crap 10 classes a week!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    REALLY? I weight lift and use hrm anyway.. it measure how many calories I burnt, I use them in order to make sure that they are within my TDEE # if more than that, then I would need to eat more... hmm...
    SparkPeople's Fitness Tracker doesn't estimate calorie burn for strength training because so many variables are involved (how hard you're working, resting in between sets, the amount of weight you lift, etc.) that any estimate would not be very accurate. A heart rate monitor (HRM) is capable of estimating calorie burn pretty accurately—but only for aerobic (cardio) exercise, not for strength training. Here's why:

A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.

The problem is a technical one. Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream.

Any muscle that performs a high intensity or maximum effort (strength training) will trigger an increase in heart rate and blood flow. But if only a single muscle group is on the receiving end to utilize that extra oxygen (doing a strength exercise that isolates your biceps, for example), only a relatively small amount of oxygen (and calories) will actually be consumed.

So while a series of strength training exercises may elevate your heart rate like aerobic exercise does, you're not actually using as much oxygen and burning as many calories as you would be if you were steadily using several large muscles all at once, as when walking, running, swimming, or doing aerobics for example.

The heart rate monitor doesn’t know whether your increase in heart rate is due to several large muscle groups working (cardio), an isolated muscle group lifting a weight (strength training), or even if adrenaline or excitement is increasing your heart rate. It just knows your heart rate, and the formulas it uses to estimate calories are based on studies of aerobic exercise, not other activities. So, it's going to overestimate your calorie expenditure when the rise in heart rate is stimulated by using isolated muscles at maximum intensity, which is what occurs during strength training.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • ashley67203
    ashley67203 Posts: 95
    Options
    I know this is bad, but a few weeks after I started eating more I got really panicky because my jeans were suddenly too small. I kept telling myself it was only water weight but I couldn't convince myself. I finally took a day and loaded up on over-the-counter diuretics to test a theory. By the end of the night, I was back to my previous size and shape and my jeans were baggy again. I don't encourage anyone else to try this but I was able to put my fears to rest.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Terri, how long have you been EM2WL, what is your cut and how much are you working out...what do you do weekly???

I've been on since 5/7, so 3 weeks exactly. BMR figures out to 1455, TDEE 2256, Cut using moderate exercise is 1917. I try to ride my bike 6 days a week,(hour long rides that usually burn around 300 to 400 calories on my HRM) if it's raining I'll pull out an Insanity DVD. One day a week is a long ride of 2 hours(burns 800 to 1000 calories) or more. Honestly, I eat a lot of junk, need to eat cleaner, lower my sodium, and focus more on lean proteins. But I get off track way to easy. I've been trying to simply net above my BMR each day. Which does seem to work out to between 1900 and 2000 calories a day. I'm loving the fact that I'm not hungry all the time and actually seem to have more energy, that's saying a lot since I work 3 night shifts and two evening shifts each week.

So you exercise 7hours a week...that is not moderate but the next level up. You should also try to make it a point to eat your cut value consistently daily. Consistency is a major key!
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I know this is bad, but a few weeks after I started eating more I got really panicky because my jeans were suddenly too small. I kept telling myself it was only water weight but I couldn't convince myself. I finally took a day and loaded up on over-the-counter diuretics to test a theory. By the end of the night, I was back to my previous size and shape and my jeans were baggy again. I don't encourage anyone else to try this but I was able to put my fears to rest.
    '
    Interesting...as I finally took a before picture (2 1/2 weeks in) and it looks like I'm wearing a fat suit. :sad:
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Of course the day I bump it to 2600 I burned less than 2800. That is the lowest burn I've done AND I taught Pump. I must have been the rain. So sluggish. Better kick it up today!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Even just a little increase seems to cause this. I'm a week into going up from 1800 to 2000 and I'm feeling super puffy.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options

So you exercise 7hours a week...that is not moderate but the next level up. You should also try to make it a point to eat your cut value consistently daily. Consistency is a major key!
    [/quote

Go figure . . . I ate like 2000 calories yesterday, and my weight is back down to where I was on Friday (I went up a tad over the weekend) Ok, more newbie questions then. I'm sure this has been answered, but when I try and do a search I get a ton of stuff about eating back exercise calories, but not for EM2LW. It sounds like my net goal should be the 1917 then? Do I eat that even on the one day a week I don't exercise? Thanks for putting up with newbie questions.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

Greysmom, I can almost guarantee, your deficit is still too high. To do all that you are doing even 2400 isn't enough. A good deficit is 15% from TDEE which usually ranges about 300 or so off TDEE. So, if you are burning 3300....you can do the math...lol.

The workouts you do are strenuous and you have to eat to support it. It is hard to get a good weight or measurements when you really don't have a break from working out.

From my experience here, when the deficit is high and there is excessive cardio weight is held. Most times the answer is cut back on cardio a bit, which I know you can't do. So the other alternative is to eat more.

I am also one of the few that gained pounds AND inches....and it's due to high burns but still not enough fuel. I had the option to drop my exercise, which I don't think you do, so all that you can do is eat even more. I did a quick measure on a few areas this morning after 2 weeks of lowering the exercise (nothing solid because I want to do a proper measurement at the beginning of next month again to know for sure) and the two places I checked were now about a 1/4 inch less! So...I'd trust Lucia on this. Take it from another inch gainer turned inch loser! :tongue:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Bumpng to mark because I am in the same boat EXCEPT its been 6 weeks and I look and feel huge. I was at 112 in March (had lost 8 lbs since starting MFP in October) and now 123 and gained all my inches back and more. I was starting to like myself in the mirror but now I do not. Gained 1.5" around every place I measure. So trying VERY HARD to do what Lucia said and reset my metabolism all while crying at the same time because its Summer . I just think i was eating too much though and OVERestimating my activity but all the scooby calculations make me at maintenance I suppose. i really just want to scream. I have a fitbit and it never tells me enough cals i burned to make me satisfied. I am always hungry or craving something.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I had lost 8 pounds and was really liking how I looked. I couldn't break that 150 barrier though, and thought I must be bouncing around because I'm not eating enough. I'm now puffy and bloated. My butt has widened with more cellulite. I haven't dared try on a single pant. I was feeling AWESOME that my pants were feeling lose..and now by my own hand I'm afraid to even look at them. This is the hardest thing I've ever done...well one of them anyway.
  • wowmom23
    wowmom23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the answer but I still struggle with the same. I KNOW I've gained muscle but I also appear to have gained fat! My diet is near perfect and yet, the Body Fat scale at the GYM is going UP UP UP. Talk about depressing. My jeans are much tighter and I am eating ~1400-1600 calories (I'm 5'2"). I know it's better than 1200 BUT, it IS summer and the stinking Victoria Secret swimsuit catalog just arrived. UGH!!! Good luck. I am sure we are doing the right thing!

Elizabeth
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I wish I had the answer but I still struggle with the same. I KNOW I've gained muscle but I also appear to have gained fat! My diet is near perfect and yet, the Body Fat scale at the GYM is going UP UP UP. Talk about depressing. My jeans are much tighter and I am eating ~1400-1600 calories (I'm 5'2"). I know it's better than 1200 BUT, it IS summer and the stinking Victoria Secret swimsuit catalog just arrived. UGH!!! Good luck. I am sure we are doing the right thing!

Elizabeth

Are you sure about your calculation of your TDEE and cut? Sometimes the underestimating and eating still less than the body needs somehow allows us to gain...just a thought.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

[/quote

Go figure . . . I ate like 2000 calories yesterday, and my weight is back down to where I was on Friday (I went up a tad over the weekend) Ok, more newbie questions then. I'm sure this has been answered, but when I try and do a search I get a ton of stuff about eating back exercise calories, but not for EM2LW. It sounds like my net goal should be the 1917 then? Do I eat that even on the one day a week I don't exercise? Thanks for putting up with newbie questions.

Yes, you eat that amount every single day.